Chapter Two

Before You Go

Three months later.

 

“This is really nice!” Yook Sungjae couldn’t stop gaping at the interior of your new house. “How did you manage to find this place?”

It was not really your house. You were just renting it since you couldn't stay on campus. The best part was that, it was fully furnished and you managed to get it at an affordable price. Sure, it was easier to stay on campus with your friends and classmates but you got a part-time job at night and staying on campus means curfew. You got classes during the day so you settled for the night shifts. But you've found the perfect place and you were happy with that! It was only a 15 minutes walk to your campus from your house and a thirty minutes walk to your workplace.

“You just have to get along well with your seniors.” You mused.

True. You rented this place from Choi Seunghyun who was your senior by three years. Even though you weren’t that close to him but he was kind enough to offer you a place to stay at a cheap price. When you first heard of the price, you didn’t put much hope in it. You thought that there may be some difficulties with the house that you have to deal with but after giving it a visit with Seunghyun and your best friend, Joy, it was an immediate decision that you wanted to rent there.

The living room was spacious enough for friends and families to come over, there were several paintings hanging on the wall, along with a LCD TV. The dining table had enough room for six people. Not that you have any more friends besides Sungjae and Joy. There was a bar too, separating the living room and the kitchen and the cutleries were all neatly arranged in the drawers. There were bowls, plates, mugs and cups; everything that you needed was already there on the rack on top of the tabletop. The house had only two bedrooms. The owner occupied one room; the one facing the main gate and the other one, just across the owner’s room was yours, which was facing the backyard.

Sungjae was still gaping. “It’s a steal,”

“Okay, less talking, more helping!” Joy scolded her boyfriend.

 

The reason why two of your best friends were there with you was to help you unpack your things. You got three boxes of your books, two luggage of your clothes. The only one that’s left was a chest of your art tools.

The chest was so heavy that the three of you had to lift it together before rushing quickly into your room. Despite all of the strength exercise Sungjae had been working on, he still complained that it was heavy.

“What did you put in there? Tons of rocks?” He groaned as he stretched his back.

Joy just rolled her eyes. “Do you see what I have to face every day with him?”

“An old grandpa?” Your expression remained blank.

“An old grandpa.” She agreed.

The couple stayed for a few more hours to help you with your books. You thought three boxes of books were not enough but with your canvases and easels in the room, it was more than enough. You realized that you were lack of space as there was no shelf for you to put your books.

“How many books have you read?” Joy picked up a book entitled ‘The Graceling’. It was one of your favorites. The world building of the book was great and the character development was amazing. But what you loved about the book was the relationship of the protagonist and the people around her.

“I’ve lost count.” You replied as you adjusting the easel next to your window. “Maybe I shouldn’t bring too many books. Do you think I should pack them and send them home?”

“Maybe you can just leave it with me in the dorm. I don’t mind taking care of your babies for you.” She puffed her cheeks to tease you. Joy knew perfectly well how much you loved your books and how you take care of them. It was as if they were humans just like you.

“Nah, I rather have them here with me. Let’s just stack them up…” You did exactly as what you were saying. “…and,” a groan escaped from your lips as you tried to lift up seven hardcovers onto your bed.

Unable to see you struggling anymore, Sungjae stepped in and pushed you off. “Let me do this. You look terrible.”

While Sungjae lifted your books for you, Joy were busy stacking them up for him. You only told Sungjae where to place them but in the end, you asked Sungjae neatly arrange them on the floor against the empty wall, next to your easel. Perhaps that will be your little reading corner. You already planned to have cushions and comforters there.

 

Soon after everything was done, your friends bade you goodbye. All that was left were your clothes. You already did halfway of it with Joy so you only have another half to unpack.

But you were already tired from lifting all the boxes to unpacking to arranging your things and finally, to neatly folding your clothes before keeping them in your wardrobe. Maybe a short break wouldn’t be bad. You looked at the condition of your room and were satisfied with it. It wasn’t much but it was still better than nothing. You had your easel facing the window, so that you wouldn’t get bored. Looking out on a backyard was still better than to have facing the wall and feel uninspired. Your little reading corner was on the right of your easel and your bed against the wall next to your reading corner. There was a nightstand on the other side of you bed and you already placed your alarm clock along with a book that you were currently reading. There was a space for you to walk between the foot of your bed and your wardrobe. You were thinking of adding in a desk for you to study but there wasn’t enough space.

“I can just study outside.” There was a coffee table in the living room, just in front of the TV that you could use to study.

It was not like the owner was home anyway. Seunghyun sunbae had told you that the house had been unoccupied for a while now and he and his friends were all busy now. They wouldn’t be able to get together like they used too since they were in their final semester. When you asked him if it was alright for you to stay, Seunghyun reassured you that it was fine. Even his friends agreed with him.

Speaking of the owner…

You stared at the door across your room. You wondered what was on the other side of it; how it looked like. Since you were alone, maybe you could have a peek. The owner wouldn’t know and surely, since you were living under his roof, he would appreciate it if you could clean up his room while he was gone. You were bound to see his room sooner or later.

Against your better judgment, you stride over to door across yours. At fist you were hesitant but nobody had to know right? Without any second thoughts, you turned the doorknob and pushed the door opened.

The room was bright thanks to the natural light of the sun. The first thing that you saw was a dying plant by the windowpane. It wasn’t your business that the plant your dying since it wasn’t even yours to begin with. But the least you could do was to water it and keep it alive until the owner came back.

Quickly, you rushed into the kitchen and filled a glass with water before heading back into the owner’s room. You were busy watering the plant that you didn’t even realize that someone else was in the room.

 

“Who are you?” A voice asked.