Surprise & Acceptance

Winter Heat

          “So you’re now a professor, and tutoring Yuna’s brother?” Hyeyoung looks at Minseok in amusement as the four of us sit together in a combined table.

          “Yeah, I just found out a day after we met at Jangmi’s wedding.” Minseok says.

          “Yoojin isn’t coming?” I ask.

          “She has something to do in her office, she’s very busy nowadays.” Hyeyoung sighs.

          Hyeyoung continues to converse with Minseok. I glance at Jangmi, and think of things to ask her. I don’t think her pregnancy is public yet. Our eyes meet, and I blink. “Um—do you want to look at the display? I just finished baking some Portuguese tarts before you came.”

          “Okay!” Jangmi cheerfully stands up, and we head to the open counter. “This place is cute, Yuna! I thought it’d be smaller. So you’re working full time here now? Didn’t you use to work in that finance company?”

          I smile a little. “Yeah, I quit. I’m a manager of this place now.”

          “That’s brave. How about a boyfriend? We’re 30 next year.”

          Suddenly? “Um—no, at the moment.”

          “What about Minseok? He’s decent.” Jangmi giggles as she picks a sourdough. “Portuguese tart looks nice but sweet pastries make me nauseous—now I want this one, my baby craves something bland.”

          “Oh—you’re—? Congratulations!”

          “Actually, my baby’s been already there before the wedding.” Jangmi whispers, and she scrunches her nose. I put a mild surprised face, and help her put the bread in the tray. “You must find it weird that I married in winter, right?”

          “Uh, yeah… A bit.”

          “I would love to have a spring wedding but my stomach would be gigantic that time.” she exhales. “Being pregnant is exhausting, but it’s a magical experience, you know what I mean?”

          Um… No I don’t, I’ve never been pregnant before, I think to myself. I swallow, and push the tray I’m holding to my torso. The more I talk to her, the more I feel we’re awfully mismatched. Just like the old times.

          We get back to the table, and I ask Hyeyoung to pick something to eat. While she’s choosing, I take a look at Minseok and Jangmi at the table. One is intently looking at his phone, and another is eating her bread. No talking whatsoever. We’re back to the seats, and Jangmi lights up.

          “So here’s the thing, I want to invite some of our high school friends to new year’s party in my Pyeongchang villa. How is it, Yuna, Minseok?”

          “Me?” Minseok and I respond in unison. I glance at him, then look at Jangmi. “I mean… Us?”

          “Yeah, she’s inviting the others too! Yoojin, Seokhoon, Dami, Hwan.” Hyeyoung counts. “Mostly the ones who still live in Seoul.”

          “Oh…” I say slowly.

          “Come, Yuna! Let’s go out for awhile, you shouldn’t be working too much.” Jangmi whines. “Right, Auntie?” she tells Mom who happens to be walking past our table.

          “What? Vacation? Of course! Bring her somewhere, she’s been rotting here for too long.” Mom waves her hand in a big motion, and Jangmi giggles.

          “Well then… I think I’m up for it.” I give an answer. Jangmi squeals.

          “What about you, Minseok?”

          “I’ll look into my schedule.” he gives us a thin smile.

          Hyeyoung asks where the toilet is, and I get up to accompany her. “Is she serious? She’s inviting our high school friends for new year’s?” I whisper to Hyeyoung once we’re far enough from the table.

          “Yeah, she wants to show off her husband’s expensive villa, to be exact.” Hyeyoung clicks her tongue.

          “You’re coming?”

          “Of course! I saw the photos, and the villa was straight out of a movie. Also, free food.” she shrugs. “It’d be like a mini reunion! Let’s go, Yuna.”

          “By the way, since when did you start hanging out with her?”

          “I wonder. We met once in my neighborhood in summer, apparently her former boyfriend lived there. He was around our age, probably younger—I have no idea how she ended up with her current husband.” Hyeyoung shrugs. “Then after her honeymoon she suddenly contacted me—that time when I called you—and we hung out a couple of times together after that.”

          Hyeyoung enters the toilet, and I lean to the wall beside the sink. New Year’s Eve party in Pyeongchang… The others would be there too… It can’t be that bad.

 

 

December 31st, 2018

          I sit silently on the front seat of a car, clutching the safety belt with one hand and another pressing my phone on the ears. “You… Really… Can’t… Go?”

          “I can’t decide when my sister is going into labor, girl! Have fun, okay!” Hyeyoung yells from the other end. I hang up, and I let my hand fall to my lap. The soft car engine is all I hear, and I glance at my side. Minseok is driving in silence. I look up at the rearview mirror, and see Jangmi texting furiously in the back seat.

          How did I end up here?

          Until a few days ago, six people confirmed to be going, but then Yoojin got a business trip to Japan, Choi Jaehyuk got sick, Lee Shin had to work overtime, and last Hyeyoung. That leaves Minseok and I, and Jangmi, driving to Pyeongchang with her car.

          “So… She can’t go?” Minseok asks.

          “Yeah. She’s done packing and all...”

          I hear Jangmi huffing in the back. “I still tell people to come if they have time.” she says. “My husband will go too after his clinic closes.”

          I look at the icy road in front. I can’t imagine how awkward it would be. We plan to stay for two nights… Can’t we just cut it to one?

          “You two have to eat a lot, okay! I’ve prepared a ton of food there.” Jangmi tries to light up the atmosphere. “If only Hyeyoung comes, she will definitely clear the food.”

          “I wonder if her niece or nephew would be born in 2018 or 2019.” Minseok says.

          “Oh.” I exclaim. “Right, it's the last day of the year… This is interesting.”

          We continue with the random talks, and I hope I could go through the upcoming days in peace.

*

          The villa is located near Bukhansan National Park, and the area is surrounded by hills with dark green trees. The houses are separated far apart from each other, and mostly have no gate. I look at the white colored, classic style villa in awe, and as we go up the short stone stairs to the entrance, I spot a swimming pool in the front yard.

          “It looks outdated, doesn’t it? My in-laws have owned this for a long time.” Jangmi says.

          “It’s beautiful.” Minseok comments.

          My eyes are busy looking around, and I nearly trip on the top of the stairs. Minseok catches my arm when I stumble, and Jangmi looks at us in a mysterious stare.

          We get inside, and the Victorian-style interior with carefully curved and polished furniture greet our eyes. “Well! There are three bedrooms here, and three bedrooms upstairs. Choose what you want.”

          “I’ll take the one up there.” Minseok lifts his stuff and climb the stairs. I take the room beside the master bedroom, and after I put my belongings inside, I go out and find Jangmi standing near the living room with a hand on her belly.

          “Yuna, I think I’m going to take a nap.”

          “Oh—sure. You must be tired.”

          “I’m so sorry but can you prepare the dinner? The ingredients are all inside the fridge.”

          “Got it, don’t worry. Go rest.”

          Jangmi goes to her room, and I open the fridge. I furrow my brows to find that most of the food are pre-cooked already, I probably only have to warm them up later and prepare for barbecue.

          Someone enters the kitchen, and I shudder. “Whoa, it’s me.” Minseok laughs. I exhale in relief, and hold the fridge door open. “Where’s Jangmi?”

          “She’s resting. I’m looking at the food for dinner... Look, it's packed”

          “I saw a grill on the veranda, are we going to use that?”

          “Yeah, we got meat.”

          “Nice. I’ll prep it in the evening. How about the side dishes and vegetables?”

          “It’s all basically ready…” I close the fridge door. “Now I wonder on what to do. Oh, what about I make some dessert?”

          “Wow, what are you going to make?”

          “There is some ingredients for breakfast too… I think I can make bread pudding.”

          “As expected, a baker.” Minseok looks excited. I laugh, and take out some plates and cutlery. “This feels… So empty.” Minseok says slowly.

          I let out a sympathizing laugh from my nose. Another year is going to pass, and I’m spending it with unexpected combination of people.

          I take a quick look at Minseok’s side profile, and get reminded of the past. It was also the last day of the year…

 

 

December 31st, 2008

          I clutch the brown colored paper shopping bag on my lap, trying to hide it below the table level. I take multiple deep breaths and recite what I’m going to say, but my nerve fails me.

          I spy the person I expect to meet walking towards the café, and my face tightens. Calm down. I can do this. Let’s make it short.

          Kim Minseok enters the café, and immediately finds me near the cashier. He gives me a thin smile, and sits in front of me. “Hi.”

          “Hi.”

          “So… Why do you want to meet me?”

          “I—” I stop talking to clear my throat. “I want to give you something.”

          I lift the shopping bag, and push it towards Minseok. He looks slightly puzzled, and carefully touches the bag. He peeks inside, and his eyebrows raise. He slowly takes out the item inside, and spreads it. It’s a parka which is almost identical to the one I threw out.

          “It’s… My apology for that time.” I mutter.

          Minseok’s face stays flat for awhile, then he forms a small, stiff smile. “You really don’t have to do this.”

          I let my head down. Everyone’s being all excited to have a new year party or something, and here I am, paying for my sins.

 

 

Present

          “Yuna?”

          Minseok’s voice brings me awake from my thoughts, and I turn to him. He’s holding a few pairs of chopsticks.

          “How many do I have to prepare?”

          “Oh… Jangmi’s husband will come… And maybe others will too… So maybe eight pairs for now?”

          We continue preparing for dinner and decide to take a break. Minseok goes back upstairs, and I spend some time roaming around the house to admire the design.

          I was about to go inside my room when I walk past the master bedroom and hear a loud sobbing. My heart starts beating faster. Is that Jangmi? Why is she crying?