Crimson Guard

Solstice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Crimson Guard

Robin groaned while her cheeks lay flat on the glossy wooden oak table.

“Oh come on, it can’t be that bad. They didn’t have a choice.” Lisa cooed sitting up in the air  with books levitating around with her as she practice the spells in her palms. 

“He saw me ..” Robin moaned clutching her eyes shut at the embarrassment. 

Rosie snickered at another table eating a corn cob in her hand assisting Lisa in her spell trainings. 

“Well, that really is embarrassing..” She commented.

Robin sat up eyeing her. 

“But hey! At least you have no secrets.. with your guardian now?” Rosie tried to save herself. 

Robin rolled her eyes in reply before turning her gaze back to her levitating friend. 

“How is this so easy for you to accept?” She shot. 

“How is it hard for you to accept?” Lisa returned back the question. 

Robin snarled back at her witty sense. Lisa got herself down as she walked over to her sulking friend her books trailed her from behind. 

“Think of it this way..” Lisa said as she propped on to the seat in front of her. 

“We were born with a best friend on our sides..” She started. 

“But I have you and Jisoo already!” Robin retaliated. 

“Then why can’t you add another one?” Lisa added. 

“I mean it’s not a big deal. They’re born to be our partners in battle. Our abilities are in sync with them if you allow it.” She continued. “I’m actually relieved my wolf best friend turns out to be human who I can talk to about anything.” 

“That’s true. That’s one of the perks to be born along side a guardian.” Rosie nodded before munching on her cob. “Wish I had one.” She uttered at the side. 

“He made a fool out of me using his knowledge about me as an advantage when he was human!” Robin expressed. 

“Because he was gauging how you would feel about him as himself and not as a wolf.” Lisa replied. "And besides it was a lapse! He knows you hate raisins."

"How'd you know about the raisins?" Robin's brows furrowed.

"I heard from Bambam. Since you and Jackson are not speaking with each other, he sometimes comes up in here to visit Bambam or Jinyoung at Horae to sulk." Lisa disclosed. 

“You know, Bambam practically confessed how he knows he’s the Prince of flaws being a walking goofball in front of me.” She added. "That's why they're wary of who they are underneath their wolf forms."  

“Sure I guess they’ve hidden their true identity from us, but it was for our own sake.” Lisa continued. “They were under strict—“ 

“Rules and the oath yeah yeah..” Robin finished off for Lisa.

“See? Then what’s the problem?” Lisa fired back. 

Rosie tilted her head studying Robin’s expression.

“You have some feelings for him..” She guessed aloud, a smirk forming the side of her lip flashing a small part of her teeth while she played with her crystal stone necklace. 

Robin shifted her gaze away before a grin slowly crept up Lisa’s lips letting out a teasing laugh in front of her. 

The Ares descendant Princess was flushed. 

“That’s why.” Lisa nodded in understanding. 

“Well it makes sense if you do end up being with him. You were born along side them, it’s practically a given. It’s like having a soul mate already.” Rosie explained. 

“You have to be careful with your thoughts though, they were also made to communicate and hear us telepathically.” Lisa warned. 

Robin tilted her head. “Then.. why can my dad communicate with him too?” She recalled on the day they arrived. 

“Their telepathic abilities are limited to a few. Royal Vipers like Rosie, Dahyun and I who can manipulate animals and were born divine; Whispers, who can manipulate any human or divine being with their minds, their wolf mate and the rulers where they were born to before given off to a different family.” Lisa explained for her. 

Robin was in deep thought as she looked out of the window gazing at the view of the split cities of Hecate before them. 

It was a comfortable sight to ponder on. 

Lisa caught her attention while she threw a small snowball on Robin’s profile. 

“Hey!” The Ares Princess exclaimed. 

“I would’ve used water but you might cause a storm in here so..” Lisa beamed. 

“Nice choice.” Robin retaliated with sarcasm. 

“So.. have you practiced it yet?” Lisa asked leaning on her elbow in front of her. 

Robin pouted in response. “But I do know I can start it like this..” She said drawing her hand in front of them before snapping her fingers. 

The spark of electricity instantly appeared on her tips dancing along her long slandered joints. 

“Impressive..” Rosie said eyeing the red sparks on Robin’s hands. 

Lisa lifted her hands in front of them gesturing on creating an orb. An icy mist appeared around her hand before a spark of snow frost formed. 

Robin tilted her head in awe as she gazed from Lisa’s orb to her own sparking fingers. 

“I wonder..” She thought aloud bringing her index towards Lisa’s orb. 

“Oh! I don’t recommend tha—“ The young sorceress warned too late. 

The electricity on Robin’s tips danced along well with Lisa’s snow ball orb. Their eyes grew at the sight. 

“Electric snowball.” Robin nodded in astonishment.

“There are some abilities that can work well with the other.” Rosie explained. “I guess Robin’s electricity is a good match with your icy orb.” 

Lisa grinned widely at Robin as they balanced the new mixed power in their palms. They turned their gaze at a dummy beside Rosie while she concentrated on gnawing on her cob. 

A smirk formed on their lips gathering the same thoughts. 

They their palms outward towards the dummy, just inches away from Rosie jolting her in surprise. 

“Hey!” Rosie pouted at the young princesses who was amused by their joint abilities working together. 

Red sparking electric danced along the dummy before the icy orb froze it solid into ice and diminishing it into shredded crystals, almost like snow.

“I wonder if we can do an ability with Jisoo?” Lisa shot her head back to her friend. 

“I thought the same thing. If we can, then we have leverage to beat the sons’ of Dias.” Robin flashed a grin at the thought. 

 

***

 

Jisoo was confined inside a metallic boxed training room with only Jinyoung on her side. 

Remember, Harmonia, control. 

Queen Irene reminded their daughter in her thoughts.

The three Queens stand outside the room observing Jisoo’s training over a protective glass window. The room was ability-proof built especially for harnessing a power. 

The goal is to control your ability alongside your guardian.

Queen Joy instructed. 

Jisoo staggered a breath terrified she might fail it and cause harm over to Jinyoung. 

“It’s okay. I can take it.” He assured her while he lightly grazed her arm before squeezing it.

Jisoo nodded in response before watching him shift back into a magnificent 5 foot wolf beside her. 

The room instantly shifted back into the woods conjured by Queen Wendy behind the viewing windows. Her ability masked the plain metallic training room into the forest familiar for Jisoo. 

They were at a field during the time they were attack by the Goblins’. She observed her surroundings, still astounded by the perfect depiction of the woods they once came from. She could hear the birds flying in the air and some forest creatures passing by. 

A new wave of Goblins slowly walked in front of her, same ones from the woods. This time, the illusion was made especially for her alone without her friends help except her guardian.

Jinyoung breathed before he slowly decreased the sounds around her. Jisoo’s heart rate increased feeling his ability working. Months of heart exercises finally put into use as she can match the pace easily. 

Jisoo inhaled deeply trying to feel an emotion out of her. The goblins paused their tracks starting to feel her silencing abilities. 

She observed her guardian on her side who’s face started to scowl in pain trying to resist the heavy feeling of her ability. 

Concentrate, Harmonia. Focus only on your enemies. 

Queen Irene’s calm voice rang her thoughts. 

Her heart rate was matching the pace while she felt the surge of an invisible power flow easily right through her. 

Jisoo can slowly hear an increase of sounds in her ears. She turned her gaze towards her guardian Echo who was already shaking loosing focus on his ability. 

Don’t be afraid, Harmonia. Dig deep. Control your power.

Queen Joy’s voice was stern and authoritative, her new personality was far less from what Jisoo is used to. 

Jinyoung slowly shifted back into his human form, growing weak as he dropped into his knees, which worried Jisoo. 

She concentrated ahead at the Goblins before she knelt down herself and felt the earth beneath her palms. 

A gasp came from Jinyoung as a gush of air rushed back into his lungs. 

“It’s working..” Jisoo uttered watching her guardian catch his breath. 

She clutched her eyes before concentrating at her fake enemies ahead. 

They each bursted into ashes one by one successfully beating them all by her ability. 

Jisoo heaved a breath before the pace went back to normal again and the illusion of the woods faded returning them back to the training room. 

“Are you okay?” Jisoo hurried back to Jinyoung’s side as she took his face in her small arms. 

The Queens smiled at her successful training as they observed the two. 

Jinyoung’s heart beat raced seeing the proximity of the princess right in front of him. A blush crept his cheeks sensing her warm hands on his face. 

He gulped before replying. “Y-yes. I’m okay, princess.” 

Jisoo exhaled before turning her gaze back at her mothers. 

I did it! 

She spoke in her thoughts directing towards the Queens. 

You did!! We’re so proud! 

Great job, sweetheart. 

Queen Irene dipped her chin as she smiled proudly. 

Jinyoung is still looking flustered with you, love. I think you can let him go now.

A teasing face etched on Queen Joy as she eyed her. 

Jisoo was brought back to her senses before she pulled her hands back releasing Jinyoung’s face. 

 

***

 

A familiar black wolf approached the gates of Hecate as Robin was about to head home that afternoon. 

Robin’s heart raced for a minute trying to study the wolf’s features. 

“Hey Hanbin!” Bambam acknowledged from behind as he and Lisa trailed behind Robin. 

The jade eyed wolf with a green streak of fur came closer into view before Robin slightly felt embarrassed. 

“Expecting someone else?” Lisa hushed as she leaned beside her teasing. 

Robin snarled hiding her flush before lightly pushing her away. 

Hanbin shifted into his human form donning a light metallic armor before curtsying over to the royalties. 

“Princess Achelois..” He gestured over to Lisa before she acknowledged him with a small smile and a nod. 

“Princess Hemera.” He then turned to Robin. 

“I’ve been instructed by the General to you back home safe.” He announced. 

“Why didn’t he me back himself?” Robin scowled at the Lieutenant while Lisa snickered secretly beside her. 

“He’s still wary of you, your highness.” Hanbin answered carefully. “He knows you’re still upset with him.” He shared before shifting back into a wolf. 

“Alright, get on him now and be safe.” Lisa said embracing Robin into a tight hug.

“I-I prefer walking, Lieutenant.” Robin said after releasing Lisa from her hug. 

“I-I’m still not comfortable riding a wolf..” She stammered her words. 

“Riding a different wolf, you mean.” Lisa corrected only to be snarled back again by the Ares’ princess. 

The Moon Goddess showed her hands in defense. “Alright, I’ll quit it.” She said chuckling lightly while Bambam snickered secretly on her side. 

Hanbin shifted back into human form. 

“As you wish, your highness.” He said gesturing a hand towards the exit. 

Robin nodded before waving a hand back to her friends in Hecate. 

The walk to the woods was calming. It was still a far journey way back to her Kingdom. She arrived at Hecate easily by asking one of Enyalius’ wizards to conjure a portal. 

After her visit in Hecate while Lisa offered to make her a portal to quickly return back, she chose to prefer walking home allowing her time to think. Bambam as a guardian relayed the Princess’ request to the General of the Crimson Guard. 

Jackson knew she wouldn’t want to accompany him so he asked one of his soldiers to her back safe. He still was cautious of her safety despite their silent feud. 

“Is there any word about how I can work with both of my abilities to my advantage yet?” 

Robin broke the silence having no choice to walk an hour back with Hanbin. 

“Your father has been discussing a lot with my father, Princess. They’re trying to come up with a solution. For now, they’re asking you to just use one ability at a time.” Hanbin replied for her. 

It wasn’t the right answer she needed right now but it was enough to know that they’re looking something about it. 

 

***

 

“Where are they? They should be back by now?” Jackson queried over to a vision mist by one of Enyalius’ wizards over to Bambam in Hecate. 

“She chose to walk hyung. She wasn’t comfortable riding Hanbin’s back.” Bambam replied over the mist. 

“I should’ve asked for a transport then! It’s getting late out??” Jackson exclaimed out of frustration. 

“You know how stubborn she is. Don’t worry about it hyung. They might be near already.” Bambam assured the General. 

Jackson groaned before waving the mist back ending the call. 

He very well knew Robin’s stubbornness himself. He just couldn’t keep still knowing it’s getting dark out and Hecate was quite far from them. 

 

***

 

Hanbin came to a halt, bringing a protective hand over to Robin. His senses could hear sounds from afar. 

“What’s happening?” 

“We’re not alone.” He announced staying vigilant of their surroundings. 

The crickets filled the woods while an owl cooed nearby a tree. Hanbin tried to focus on his hearing while he skittered his metallic shirt into a battle armor. 

He could hear a transport truck from afar. It’s mechanical engines weren’t the same as what they have back in Enyalius. 

“Raiders.” He concludes. 

Robin stepped back increasing fear. After months training to battle, she could finally practice fighting a raid. 

“Princess, remember you’re a magnetron. You can manipulate metal at your will, in contact and by distance.” The Lieutenant reminded. 

“H-how..” She stammered while she became cautious around their surroundings. 

“Same as how you imagine to create an armor. Just imagine how you want to crush metal.” Hanbin advised. 

A gush of swift air moved the tall grass from afar. A young man suddenly jumped in front of them with a sword resting on his belt.

“Well well well..” His lips turn to a smirk. “What do we have here?” 

A transport truck arrived behind him as two other figures step out of the vehicle. 

“You’re pretty far away from your Kingdom, princess.” One guy with a dangerous sweet voice said before igniting his palm with fire. 

Burner

Robin thought to herself identifying the ability her father also possesses. 

“We just want to head back to Enyalius.” Hanbin calmly replied staying cautious. 

The other guy manning the vehicle with broad shoulders ignited his hand. 

“But we want to have some fun first, wolf boy.” He said grinning widely. 

“Oh, where are our manners.” The other burner voiced as he turned his gaze over to Robin. 

“I am Junhoe and this is my brother Donghyuk. We’re.. friends.. of your betrothed. He asked us to have a little chat with you.” He introduced himself. 

“Asked you? Or followed his orders.” Robin snarled. “Pft. Friends.” She spat. 

“Puppets maybe.” She added. 

“Ohhh, ouch.” the shorter guy said acting affected clutching his heart while the two brothers chuckled inwardly at her temper. 

“She really has the blood of Ares.” He then said to his friends. 

“I’m Jay, your majesty. And my brother, Chan.. is.. somewhere.” He introduced curtsying mockingly at her before he spun around searching for another figure. 

The place suddenly got a little darker in an instant. 

“Ah, there he is. He always like a grand entrance.” Jay smirked before his brothers’ silhouette appeared before them. 

Shadow

Robin thought. His abilities are no match with her Theian sight. She still can perfectly adjust to the lighting. 

“This will be fun..” Chan’s deep voice resonated while he rested his hands on his pockets, his sword swung to the side as he paced towards his brother. 

“Get back to your Prince. We mean no harm.” Hanbin warned again stepping in front of Robin, shielding her. 

“Oh but that’s the thing..” Donghyuk smirked, fire was dancing wild against his arm. 

“We do.” Junhoe finished with a sneer. 

“Hide!” Hanbin jumped Robin behind a tree before Junhoe threw a fireball at their direction. 

“Oh come on, wolf, let us play with the princess.” Jay said before jumping towards Robin’s direction. 

Robin’s reflexes helped her swing an arm over to Jay.

“Woah, you’re good.” He said before jumping to the side, dodging her attack before he drew his sword. 

Robin clenched her fist towards the steel he was holding before it broke into shreds. She smirk only to anger Jay even more. 

Donghyuk made another fireball towards Hanbin before he shifted back into a wolf. His metal armor reformed around him. 

Robin eyed the steel made truck behind them hoping to carry it with her ability when Chan appeared before her swinging his sword for an attack. She ducked in time before she ran towards the truck. 

She danced her arms over the truck wielding it into her grasp lifting it up in the air before she clasped her hands into a resounding clap, crushing the truck behind them exploding shreds of glass towards the small siege. The large wheels bounced towards Junhoe and Donghyuk before they rolled off to the side. 

Robin gathered a discarded metal door from the truck before reforming it into a bow and arrow. Fire was been thrown in every side of the area following Hanbin around. He jumped towards the princess shielding her. 

She took an aim over to one of the brothers slitting Junhoe’s arm in the process. 

Fire blazed fury around his arm, mirroring his irritation. “That’s it. No more playing.” His smile faded to a scowl before throwing another fireball in their way. 

Hanbin followed the Princess on foot before she wielded another arrow from a metal. She reformed her bow fast into a sword while Chan and Jay appeared beside her lunging for an aggressive attack. 

Robin gazed towards the skies, hearing the thrum of lightning she’s conjuring above. She smirked while she calculate

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter