08 - Take the fall

Don't Play Me!

Chapter 08 – Take the fall


Mina

 

I felt someone take the seat next to me and purposefully pulled an exaggerated scowl on my face because I knew who it is.

 

“Come on, Mi.” Alice sighed. “I’ve apologized profusely a thousand times already.” She groaned. “I thought I was doing something good by letting you guys meet again.”

 

She wasn’t exaggerating either. She has been apologizing ever since I ripped her a new one when she came hopping into class with a cheeky smile asking how it went when I saw her the morning after I got back from my job in Japan. I’ve had some time to think by then and her uncharacteristic offer to have me working, even though she promised it would be a one off job, with Crimson Wing when before she had shot me down at even the mere mention of me looking for work there, was a dead giveaway. Her scheming little plans had been shot to hell and I had no issues letting her know what I had gone through. She had cried and apologized, horrified she had pushed me into it.

 

“I brought you donuts.” She said pushing a box towards my desk. Very tempting! That was playing dirty but still I held on to the stoic expression. When I didn’t react, she tucked my hair on her side behind my ear and poked her face in front of mine. There was no avoiding her when she was right in my face, unless I closed my eyes, so I just glared instead.

 

“Promise me you won’t meddle in things like that again.” I demanded. I had already forgiven her but I didn’t want her to know that yet.

 

She pulled back away and looked down and away from me, her attention falling towards her hands. “You know I can’t do that bestie.” She sighed. “What are friends for, if not to be there and look out for each other? I know what you are going through more than anyone. I can relate remember? I’ve been there before which is how I know that sooner or later your current jobs aren’t going to be enough.” Finally she looked up but mine was frozen on her wrists, or more specifically the bruising around them. She was wearing a long sleeved sweater and I knew the only reason I was seeing them was because she had pulled the sleeves up slightly. She wanted me to see them. Show me what my future could be but the devastation I felt on her behalf was like a rock in my chest.

 

“Alice.” I gasped. She usually didn’t bring this side of things up in conversation.

 

“I want more than this for you. I want better things for you.” She admitted with a sad smile. “I thought he would step in and protect you Mina.” She sounded dead serious and disappointed.

 

 

***

 

Safe to say that after talking to Alice and making up, I was feeling like already and the main event for the day hasn’t even started yet. I was already predicting great things for this day. Not!

 

Once again here I was with a calling card for the agency, standing at the reception for a hotel room key card. I would like to say that I was a little less anxious since I’ve done this before now but that wasn’t the case. I still felt every single once of their judgmental eyes on me like needles on my skin.

 

I’d purposefully dressed down, turning up in just a pair of jeans and a plain t-shirt. A big you very much, look how much I care, in V’s face. But as the reception people took me in from head to toe, I could read the clear surprise and confusion on their faces. They held out the key card to the room and I was quick to nab it. At the last moment I added “weird es, you know” before I shrugged and turned to walk away. I was pretty sure now that they were in Seoul, V, probably booked the room under some unsuspecting person’s name but just in case someone somewhere knew about their discreet ways of booking, I wanted to ruin his reputation, just a little bit. Call me a bad , but I had to get my kicks somewhere. I was chuckling with satisfaction all the way up the elevator and earned some questionable look along the way too.

 

My good mood took a nosedive when I was standing in front of the door. I entered the hotel room on shaky legs because I couldn’t help the nervousness I felt. I knew what to expect. I knew who to expect. I may be a badass in my head but all my badassery kind of deflated to be facing the real deal.

 

“V” I whispered recognizing him from the back. Just as I predicted.

 

He turned around. His attention falling on me. His lips pulled up in a smirk as his cold hard eyes met mine.

 

“Hey there.” I waved, trying to break the chill in the room but I know it came across as more of a moronic move. Great move Mina.

 

“Well well well.” He was almost humming with satisfaction at me being there. “ I have to admit, that I half expected you to not turn up.”

 

That was my first clue as to maybe this wasn’t just a simple meeting as I first assumed it to be, but I had been reassured. “Well,” I said mocking his initial words. “I kind of need the money and all.” I shrugged like that was explanation enough. In my book, for him, it was enough. He didn’t want to nor need to know anything about me.

 

“A little underdressed, aren’t we.” He nodded at my body, indicating my clothes. His eyes taking me in from head to toe.

 

“Wasn’t under the impression that I was trying to impress anyone.” I knew I was goading him on but V really was too arrogant for his own good. Granted he probably thought he was entitled to a little of that attitude, considering how hard they work and how far they have come but there wasn’t anything idol worthy about forgetting your roots.

 

The answering glare he gave me had me almost flinching. V was known for his sharp and expressive features and when he used those to glare you down? Man did you feel like a grain of sand under his boot. “I’m not paying you for annoying chit chatting.” He took great pleasure in putting me in my place. “So get to work.” He walked forward and entered one of the room’s, leaving the door opened.

 

Whoa, hold on a second. What the hell did he mean? Was I tricked? My heart started galloping away.  I felt fear and panic rise but swallowed it down and followed him with hesitation. He was leaning against the dressing table, while he watched me enter.

 

“I was told there would be no ual contact.” I gripped the doorframe.

 

His expression screamed ‘ew’ at my words. Okay that’s good. I relaxed a bit with relief.  “I won’t ing touch you.” He grimaced before his expression smoothed into a cool smirk. “Doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy a show.”

 

Well I had walked right into that one now hadn’t I? I tried to keep the panic down, trying to think on my feet. I had expected him to give be a verbal lashing and a few threats but I had counted on his disgusted attitude towards me a little too much it seems. There was no way I was doing what he wanted though. Money or no money.

 

“I’m going to leave. I’ll ask them to send you a different one or you can have a refund. Either way that is not something I’m willing to do.” I told him straight up and turned to leave.

 

“Wait!” He called out with a frown. “What are you willing to do then?” His voice had a sense of urgency. His question was out of the blue and uncharacteristic of him. He didn’t look the least bit interested in my answer either, which had me thinking that he was stalling.

 

“Honestly, coming here, I though I’d just have to take a few choice insults and threats from you to keep me away from Jungkook.” I went for honesty, while I was trying to figure out what he was truly after. “What a good friend you are.” I commented sarcastically, feeling my anger rise on behalf of Jungkook. “He consider you a friend, family even and here you are breaking his trust.” I shook my head in disgust at him, giving him a piece of his own attitude back. But then I took in his expression. Like really looked and realized he looked guilty and troubled at my accusations.

 

“Tell me you didn’t!” I shouted but he didn’t answer. This idiot. He had been so focused on painting me in a bad picture in front of Jungkook that he hadn’t stopped to think for a second what me being caught with him would do to the relationship between them. “Please, you have to stop this.” I begged. Now I was here for one reason only and it wasn’t for the money he was throwing in my face. If Jungkook ever found out about this he would be devastated. I had to convince V before he got here.

 

I tried t get V to consider the consequences of what he was doing. “V please. You have to see how this would be hurting Jungkook.” He stiffened at my words, even from this distance I could see it . “Forget about me for a second. Put yourself in his shoes. He cares for you guys like family, he trusts you.” I kept going when he frowned as if this was only now dawning on him. “If he ever realized that you cornered me into spending a night with you,” I shook my head, “forget about you forcing my hand, if he realized you paid to spend a night with me, it would break his trust in you. It would ruin your relationship with him. What you are doing right now is not right for him. You have got to let me get out of here before he come here.”

 

Just as my words left my mouth, I heard a beep at the door when it was unlocked and I met V’s own panicked eyes. He was finally realizing his error but it was too late. Jungkook was already here. I had to think on my feet. I looked towards the windows and the balcony and honestly considered jumping out for a second but that was just my panicked insanity talking.

 

Who would hurt Jugkook the most? I didn’t even have to debate about that because if Jungkook walk in and find us here he was going to loose it with V and I couldn’t let it happen. I couldn’t be the reason why he lost a brother and possibly drive a rift between his team.

 

I walked closer to stand in front of V. Hearing the foot steps outside in the suite get louder as Jungkook moved towards the bedroom as if drawn to the disaster waiting to happen.

 

“You might as well take a gun to my heart and shoot me point blank.” I whispered looking into V’s eyes. He didn’t have time to take in my words, Jungkook was already in the suite. “I’ll take the fall. Just bare with this.” I begged V before I cupped his cheek and laid my thumb on his lips before my lips met his with my thumb in between but anyone looking wouldn’t realize that. His hands went to my waist instinctively but I pulled one away to lay it on my upper thigh, raising my leg up his side to curve around him. Then my other hand went up to his hair, like I was pulling him close.

 

We were both aware of the door opening and I felt V pull away but I clenched my grip on him. “V please.” I sobbed, but it came out sounding like a breathless moan

and a whine.

 

“Oh come on!” I heard Jungkook’s amused voice. “Really funny Tae.” He laughed. “You freaking got me with this one. I honestly thought I’d walk in and find Mina with some .” Jungkook continued to laugh while I pulled back from V and looked at Jungkook over his shoulder. “How on earth did you know about the man I had-” His voice trailed off mid sentence.

 

I knew the moment he recognized me; the confusion, the shock, the hurt, the pain, the betrayal and then finally settling on anger.

 

“What the !” He exploded.

 

 

Jungkook

 

“It’s beautiful.” She whispered in awe, her full attention stuck to the sunset in the horizon while she unconsciously ran her fingers through my hair, my head on her lap.

 

“Yeah.” I whispered, staring at her while she looked to the distance. “It is.”

 

It was her birthday and she could have had any extravagant party she wanted but instead here she was hanging out with me, watching the sunset. It had become one of our favorite pastime activities lately.

 

She’d gotten so many better expensive gifts from others but she’d thanked me with tears in her eyes when I brought her here and apologized for not having any present.

 

“That’s another beautiful thing.” She said, her eyes still in the horizon.

 

“What is?” I asked confused.

 

Her lips turned up with a happy grin but her eyes still remained on the distant scenery. “The way you watch me when you think I’m not looking.”

 

God! I was a fool in love.

 

She was an angel and I was the boy who never had a chance of truly calling her mine.

 

In my weak moments, I look at her silky dark hair, smooth white skin with the perfectly spaced out freckles down her back and her gorgeous smile, imagining in my mind what it would feel like to hold her close and taste her lips. Maybe in a different world, a different lifetime, I would have been enough for her. Maybe if I had come from a decent background, normal childhood, a more put together life, I would be more worthy of her.  Then I could have asked her out, taken her to some fancy place and treated her the way she deserved because money wouldn’t be an issue.

 

I could have told her how the sun shine when she smiled, when she frowned, when she pouted. How I loved her big heart, loved the way she cared with her whole being.

 

If I could have been someone worthy of her love, then she would have allowed me to love her. In a different world, this could have been but we lived in this world. There was no different world or different life time.

 

We had only this world to live, where she was my best friend and I was lucky enough to have her in my life, even as that.

 

I jerked awake at the noise of my alarm, the fading memory leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. For years I went without thinking about her and here I was after a few hours in her company, dreaming about her again. I was back to square one.

 

Had it really been love? It was so long ago and we were still kids. I wasn’t so sure anymore. Like she said, a lot has changed. I have changed. It sounded almost like a joke now, how whipped I had been with her

 

Those day’s I had thought that a better life would have given me a chance with her. I was living that better life now, as unbelievable as that sounded but still I didn’t feel worthy of her. Not because I didn’t have the money or the life to treat her the way she deserved but because of the immoral I have turned out to be in the years since I last saw her. Besides I wasn’t even sure what I felt for her anymore. I certainly didn’t feel any pressing need to confess my love or anything like that.

 

I glared at the body tangled in sheets lying next to me and grimaced, running a hand down my face. Point well proven. I almost growled with annoyance at the constant ringer and realized it wasn’t my alarm but my phone ringing.

 

“What?” I asked. I wasn’t in the mood for pleasantries, what with realizing what a up disappointment I have turned out to be. I was at the top of my game; feeling like a king but one small encounter with Mina was all it took to drag me down to the gutter. Not to mention her parting words in a piece of paper that had been digging a hole through my wallet for the last few day.

 

“Sir, I have some information for you.” A mans voice announced.

 

I looked down at the phone, seeing the guy I hired to keep an eye on Mina. ! I panicked.

 

“What is it?” I snapped.

 

“She was contacted by Crimson Wings again with a job.” I stiffened at his words. “She accepted.” no!

 

“Send me the details.” I snapped before I hung up.

 

“Everything okay?”

 

I looked down at the timid voice and was startled to realize that I had gotten out of the bed without even knowingly doing so.

 

I nodded, feeling my blood drain, feeling nauseas. The irony of it all? The girl was sent from Crimson Wings and now all I can see is Mina in her place but instead of me, it would be another guy in the room.


A/N: I actually have a thing for when Tae glares. He’s so cute when he’s all bubbly but damn is he smoking when he gives that serious look. He’s obviously one of my wreckers (one of six that is – they are all my wreckers. You just can’t choose in BTS) Jungkook being my bias.

Please comment, subscribe and upvote if you liked.