bleeding love

First Shot

A/N: inspired by Leona Lewis's Bleeding Love. 


The first person that Wendy opened her heart to is Seulgi. But the person that Seulgi gave her heart to is not Wendy.

And she cries for the first time in years.

Especially when she found out that the girl who is in between them now is also the same person that brought them together then.

"Did you find the book you were looking for Seulgi?"

"Y-yes, unnie."

"Wendy is a known bookworm. I knew she would be able to help you." And Seulgi’s breath hitched at that simple smile and her eyes curved into a crescent that follows the back of the girl walking away like the moon gravitating towards Earth.  

Only when the girl had round the corner that Seulgi faced Seugnwan with a smile that is brighter than the summer sun. But she knows that that smile was not for her. Not because of her.

Wendy faked a smile that is pale in comparison. Enough, however, to cast the light away from the dark clouds that loom above her head. 

--

The first voice that Wendy hears is always Seulgi’s. But the sounds that Seulgi looks out for is never Wendy's.

And that knowledge breaks her slowly on the inside.

To see Seulgi's attention shifting from their conversation to the soft laughter that filters out any and all background noise inside Seulgi’s head. It is almost like Seulgi has a special channel unique to only that person’s voice.

"Huh. Wannie? What were you saying?"

Only when she disappeared among the crowd that Seulgi returned to Wendy's side, even though Seulgi never actually left, she felt like miles away.

That faltered smile on Wendy's face would quickly be lifted into a grin that she had learned to perfect over the year.

 "Nothing." Wendy chuckled disheartenedly while Seulgi stuffed the sauté chicken that she had spent hours making.

"Yum! Your mom has really outdone herself this time!"

Hah. She scoffed at the irony. The one time that she had gained enough courage to admit that the lunch was prepared specially by her, for her, Seulgi had tuned her out so completely that not even an ounce of attention was spared.

She had always admired Seulgi's devotion to the things she likes. Always giving her 110%. Just never toward Wendy. 

--

The person that Wendy always looks for first is Seulgi. But the first person that Seulgi sees is never Wendy.

And it tears her up silently.

To always sit in the same exact spot so that Seulgi can easily find her. To cheer so loud for the tennis star that her voice would be hoarse the next day.

But for Seulgi, the chanting of the whole crowd could not even be compared to the smile of one girl.

And when Seulgi won her match, the first section she turned toward was where that girl once was. Her smile withered to know that the girl was no longer there. It took her minutes to realize that Wendy is there. Still there.

Even as they walk home side by side, Seulgi continued to scan the courts for any sign of those dark raven hair. Never seeing the pain on Seugnwan’s face. She’s long gone. But I’m here, Seulgi-ah! I’ve always been here. Wendy wanted to shout. But the only thing that came out was a single tear that was wiped away too quickly to even be noticed.

--

The person that Wendy always prioritizes is Seulgi. But the first person that Seulgi thinks about is not Wendy.

And it kills her on the inside.

To know that Seulgi had already left without her. Chasing after the girl she loves without a care for who she left behind.

Wendy waited patiently, as she does every day, for Seulgi to finish practice. Every day so they can walk home together and hum along to the melodies as they share one earphone. Every day so they can be together even for a brief moment.

 “Wendy-ah. Are you waiting for Seulgi? I saw her leaving with some girl already.” 

She concealed her shock as she shook her head in denial.

“No. Just…” She chuckled out an unmade excuse as she walked away, turning her back against the bearer of the news as her face slumped in disappointment. 

 It hurt even more when she checked her phone and not a single text was left to inform her of the departure. 

Hurts but not surprised. Because she will always be second after that girl.

--

The first person that Wendy fell in love with is Seulgi. But the person that Seulgi wants to confess to is not Wendy.

And her heart shatters to pieces at the confirmation. She knew. She has always known.

But when Seulgi said the words out loud. Confiding in her that she is in love with someone. Someone that is not her. Seulgi’s voice was filled with so much adoration and her eyes were oozing with such admiration that Wendy can’t help but feel bitter for the first time. 

Still, she played the supportive best friend to the tee.

"You should confess to her!" Her voice raised with excitement as she encouraged her love to pursue her love. A person that is not her. Never her.

And when her voice started to crack and her tears threatened to fall, she excused herself with a lie that she had to go home.

And when Seulgi pulled her into a tight embrace and thanked her for the encouragement, she dashed out the house and let her best friend’s façade cracked like her broken voice and her battered heart and everything else that seem to be out of service too.

But Seulgi doesn’t see any of that. Seulgi has never looked before.

--

 When Wendy returns home late that night after crying her eyes out, she didn’t expect her neighbor to still be awake.

“Wendy! Why are you out so late!?”

“J-just because.” She casts her eyes to the side and pulls her hood downward to conceal any evidence that she has been crying.

But her unnie knows better. Her unnie knows her best. Because within seconds, she pulls her into a warm embrace, cradling her in her protective arms and comforting her with her reassuring whispers.

No words exchanged. No questions asked. Joohyun-unnie lulls her to sleep just like she did back when Wendy was still a kid.


A/N: eek. this is kinda sad? Lol. so different from the story in chapter 1. Sorry. There's a part 2/3 to this tho!