Chapter 4 : The Chapter That Involve The Cat

The Accidental Housemate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minhyuk did not had anything against animals.

He loved animals.

He watched Animal Planet and National Geographic.

He watched Animal Farm too. Sometimes he cried watching those.

He just had things against animal being close to him.

“She have a cat!” Minhyuk dramatically slammed the door as he entered the house. 

Seohyun raised her brows while her hands kept putting popcorn in . Her eyes followed her cousin that had been walking back and forth in front of the television. “Who is this she?” Seohyun asked as her eyes darted on the television. She seemed uninterested.

“I need more than she have a cat to judge the situation.” Yonghwa said as he took a handful of popcorn from Seohyun that some of it fell on the couch. He gave an apologetic smile as Seohyun smacked his hand. “We are not mind readers Kang Minhyuk.”

“And Minhyuk-” Seohyun called. “-you are blocking the television.”

“Seriously?” Minhyuk stand in front of the television, hands on his waist. “I have a problem and all you two could ever think about is I am blocking the television?” Minhyuk rolled his eyes in annoyance.

“Sweetheart at this point-” Seohyun smiled to Minhyuk. “-the show is more important than you.” Seohyun did not even bothered to look at Minhyuk. “This is the of the movie. Who ask you to come now?” Seohyun muttered.

“When I think you two can’t hurt me further-” Minhyuk chuckled. “-you two just surprise me.” Minhyuk continued.

“Oh my God stop being so dramatic!” Seohyun whined and sighed. “Fine. What?” Seohyun took the remote and paused the television as she ignored Yonghwa whining about it. “This better be important Kang Minhyuk. I swear to God.”

“Krystal have a cat.” Minhyuk started.

“I am judging you right now and I am giving the seriousness of this problem a negative one hundred.” Yonghwa squinted his eyes and stared at Minhyuk. 

“And the cat like me.” Minhyuk continued as he ignored Yonghwa.

“This story better escalate quickly cause I am not interested at this point.” Seohyun had her arms crossed her chest.

“That’s it.” Minhyuk ended his story. 

“That’s it?!” Seohyun exclaimed.

“You slammed the door.” Yonghwa pointed at the door. “Whining about we don’t care about you. Being all dramatic and and you ended up with this story?” Yonghwa scoffed. “You finished the story less than 10 words Kang Minhyuk.”

“I wonder how he learned to be this dramatic.” Seohyun signaled Minhyuk to get away from in front of the television and the boy grudgingly agreed. 

“From grandpa.” Minhyuk muttered as he sat himself on the couch, hugging the cushion. “That old man dead faked a heart attack when you said you are going to give up your inheritance to marry Hyung.” Minhyuk continued. 

“That make sense.” Seohyun nodded as she continued watching the drama.

“Now going back to my problem.” Minhyuk sat up straight, cushion in his lap. “You two know I don’t like pets!” Minhyuk whined. “I don’t like it. I don’t like it.”

“We are still having this conversation?” Yonghwa sighed. 

“Of course we are.” Minhyuk stared at Yonghwa. “How am I going to survive in that house with pet?” 

“Can you calm down?” Seohyun said, unbothered. “Not all pet you find will hurt you on your .” Seohyun added again after a few moment unaware that she made Minhyuk taken aback.

“How dare you?” Minhyuk sighed and lied down on the couch as he covered his face with cushion.

Yonghwa broke into a smile. “What?” 

“You don’t know?” Seohyun paused the movie and picked up the bowl to get another batch of popcorn. “His got bit by a dog on his way to school.” Seohyun put the popcorn inside the bowl and threw away the plastic. “That is not the end of it.” Seohyun said as she walked back into the living room. 

“His got scratched by a cat a few weeks after that.” Seohyun said as she sat down and passed the bowl of popcorn to Yonghwa. “It was his fault though. He sat on the cat. It was quite deep since the scratch make it through his pants.” Seohyun played the movie.

“The cat was white.” Minhyuk whined. “The same colour like the tiled floor.”

“Are you blind?” Yonghwa returned. 

“I come here for words of encouragement.” Minhyuk said as he stared at Yonghwa and Seohyun back and forth. “I didn’t come to be exposed like this. I have enough of being annoyed with Krystal at home I don’t need this.”

“Oh aren’t you going to introduce Krystal to us?” Seohyun asked, ignoring the rant Minhyuk just dumped to her. 

“Are you going to ignore the fact that I was complaining about you?” Minhyuk sighed.

“You were complaining?” Yonghwa asked, unbothered.

“The two of you are unbelievable!” Minhyuk stomped his feet on the floor. Just like the five years old he was supposedly to. “Why would I introduce Krystal to the two of you? Is she my friend? Is she my girlfriend? Are we going to get married next month that you have to know her?” Minhyuk ranted continuously.

“Wow calm down!” Yonghwa raised both his hands on his shoulders. “She lived with you. Of course we want to know her. What if anything happen to you? Of course we need to know.” Yonghwa said. “Why would you go off about girlfriend and marriage?” Yonghwa said.

“You are more dramatic than grandpa.” Seohyun added.

“If something happen to me?” Minhyuk blurted out. “Oh you care about me now? I am going to sulk don’t talk to me.” Minhyuk said before he stood out and walked to the door as he whined under his breath. 

“You are going to sulk only until dinner right?” Seohyun asked without turning back.

“Yes.” Minhyuk answered in a tiny voice before he closed the door.

 

“I had things going on.” Minhyuk said every time he had internal panic whenever Mong (the cutest cat on Earth according to Krystal and the monster with cute eyes according to Minhyuk) came close to him. The cat liked to come and itself against Minhyuk.

“Don’t ask what things I am not gonna talk about it.” Minhyuk answered every time Krystal asked what was the thing. But of course you (the readers) know about it. (I dropped it somewhere along this chapter)

And Mong being Mong.

That cat just loved to play with Minhyuk. 

The cat dead knew how to turn the handle of the door.

And that was how Minhyuk usually ended up shouting in despair every morning because Mong would be rolling around on his bed as it it did not gave the man the biggest shock of his life on daily basis. 

“Then lock the ing door!” Krystal would say.

“I did!” Minhyuk answered.

But of course he was lying.

Let us be realistic. Mong was smart.

But there is no way it would be that smart.

In a nutshell, Minhyuk just simply forgot to lock the ing door to his room.

And today. At this moment. Mong decided to ‘attack’ Minhyuk again.


Mong stared at Minhyuk.

Eyes twinkling.

Minhyuk squinted his eyes.

“Are you planning to kill me?” Minhyuk asked the innocence at.

“Meow.” Mong purred as it took a step toward Minhyuk.

“Don’t make that face.” Minhyuk warned Mong.

“Oh for God’s sake.” Krystal rolled her eyes as she walked into the kitchen. “You are standing in front of the food bowl. Mong wants the food.” Krystal pointed at the green food bowl with her eyes as she walked to the fridge. “Why are you being so paranoid?” Krystal muttered. “It is just a cat.”

“With claws.” Minhyuk said as he moved away from the food bowl.

“That I trimmed.” Krystal replied front behind the door of the fridge. 

“That can grow back.” Minhyuk pointed out. 

“Ugh!” Krystal expressed her frustration.

Mong rubbed itself on Minhyuk’s leg as the latter closed his eyes and Krystal tch-ed at how ridiculous Minhyuk was. Mong purred and diligently ate it food as Minhyuk continued to stare at it in amusement.

“Why does it keep doing that to me?” Minhyuk whined, like a five years old.

“I told you Mong like you.” Krystal pushed Minhyuk away from in front of the sink and the latter stumbled side way. Minhyuk held himself on the kitchen counter as he closed his eyes, This. Small thing like that was the cause they usually got in fight everyday ing day. 

“You can ask me to move nicely.” Minhyuk glared at Krystal.

“Have I ever been nice to you?” Krystal scoffed.

“Well I am still hoping for a miracle everyday.” Minhyuk sarcastically said.

“Stop hoping.” Krystal turned to Minhyuk, hands on her waist. “Not gonna happen.” She shakes her wet hands onto the direction Minhyuk was standing causing his face to be rained with water drop before she ran away in delight.

“And she said she is an adult. AN ADULT!” Minhyuk shouted as he wiped of his face in annoyance with his sleeve. “Look at your mom.” Minhyuk muttered as he stared down at Mong.

“I must betrayed the country in my past life to deserve this.” Minhyuk muttered.

 

 

And another attack.

“Mong you can’t do that.” Minhyuk sighed as he stared at the cat that was now rolling around on his bed, on his favourite hoodie. “Look at that, you left your fur all over.” Minhyuk pointed at the middle of the hoodie.

“What should I wear now?” Minhyuk said as if Mong could understand his problem.

The only thing Mong cared about was his bowl of food and that small blue ball that had bell sound inside it that Mong played around with when it was not causing chaos to Minhyuk and his life. 

“That is why I said do your laundry!” Krystal shouted from outside.

And another attack.

“Mong is sitting on your keypad?” Krystal asked as she pressed a set of number on the calculator. “Then move it.” Krystal answered simply as she pressed the delete button multiple times. “Hold it. Move it.” Krystal said as she calculated a different set of number.

“I don’t want to hold it.” Minhyuk tapped his fingers on the table.

“Why don’t I get the answer?” Krystal whined.

“Are you ignoring me?” Minhyuk asked.

“Did I used the wrong formula?” Krystal muttered to herself.

Minhyuk glanced at the tutorial Krystal was doing.

“You are to be doomed for.” Minhyuk smirked.

“What?” Krystal finally had her eyes on Minhyuk.

“You messed up the first calculation.” Minhyuk pointed at the first question. “You have to start over.” Minhyuk shrugged and patted Krystal on her back. “Well-” Minhyuk leaned down. “-I know exactly how to do this but since you are being an ignorant selfish. Have fun starting over.” Minhyuk waved and walked out of the room.

“Kang Minhyuk!” Krystal shouted in despair.

 

 

And more attack.

“Aah!” 

Krystal flinched, struggling to open her eyes.

“Aah! Aah!” It was getting louder.

“What the ?!” Krystal muttered as she finally sat straight on her bed, hands taking off her sleeping mask. Another out of this world shout graced her ears and she abruptly stand up. “Why is he always like this?” Krystal whined as she walked downstairs.

“Please.” Minhyuk begged. “Don’t do this to me. What did I ever do to you?” 

“Are you ing kidding me?” The door of his room opened and there was Krystal, rolling her eyes. Waking up almost every morning like this could contribute to her mental breakdown. “Again? AGAIN?!” Krystal had her hands on her waist.

“Get it off me.” Minhyuk pointed at the furry one.

“Oo, it look so scary.” Krystal mocked as she stared at Mong which was rolling on the bed as it played with the end of the comforter. It accidentally rolled itself inside the comforter and peek it head out a moment later. Eyes on Minhyuk. “Should I call the police?” Krystal turned to Minhyuk.

“Get it off me.” Minhyuk said, short.

“Mong-” Krystal walked to the bed and unrolled Mong from the comforter so she could picked it up. “-come to mom. Are you having fun?” Krystal kissed the pinkish nose of the furry one. “You are so cute.” Krystal adored the cat.

“Get out.” Minhyuk said.

“Your dad is crazy.” Krystal whispered as she took Mong into her arms.

“I am not the dad!” Minhyuk shouted as Krystal left the room. 

“Aah!” Minhyuk let out after the door of his room was abruptly opened again. Krystal stood on the door, Mong still in her arms. “What do you want? I don’t have time to fight. Just save whatever insult you have to me tonight.” Minhyuk said as he got up from the bed and grabbed his towels.

“Your forearm.” Krystal said, almost inaudible.

“What?” Minhyuk stopped in his track.

“Did Mong scratched you?” Krystal asked as she made her way to Minhyuk.

“Oh.” Minhyuk exclaimed softly as he realized a long two scratches on his forearm. “I kinda accidentally smacked it stomach-” Minhyuk glanced at Mong who was staring at him, eyes innocent and pure. “-it might accidentally scratched me.”

“You have to disinfect it.” Krystal said softly as she put down Mong and sat on the bed. She took out a small bottle that she carried in her hand. “Come here.” Krystal stared up at Minhyuk who was still standing still. “What are you doing? Here.” Krystal patted the bed.

“You are being nice.” Minhyuk squinted his eyes. “Are you dying?” 

“Oh my God!” Krystal exclaimed in frustration and put the bottle on the side table. “Just ing do it yourself.” She felt bad for Minhyuk because Mong unintentionally hurt him and thought of doing something nice to him for once. 

“Wait. Wait.” Minhyuk took quite a big step and held Krystal on her wrist. “Okay. Okay. I will sit down.” Minhyuk sat on the edge of the bed, hands still holding her wrist. Krystal was standing in front of him, huffing her cheeks in annoyance that it blew a few strands of hairs that covered her face. “I am not good at doing this thing.” Minhyuk scratched his head.

Mong came up on the bed and it head on Minhyuk’s thigh, purring. 

“Mong likes you so much.” Krystal said as she pressed the cotton slowly on the scratches mark, eyes glancing on Minhyuk but stared down again when Minhyuk caught her eyes. “I don’t know why Mong likes you so much.” She continued and blew on the scratch mark softly. “Done.” Krystal said as she closed the bottle.

“Mong time for breakfast.” Krystal said as she gathered Mong into her arms and walked out of the room. “No. You can’t stay in the room.” Krystal said softly to Mong as she kissed Mong on it head.

The cat was purring softly as it stared at Minhyuk the moment Krystal closed the door of the room.

 

 

And again.

“Mong where am I supposed to sleep then?” Minhyuk stared at the fluffy white cat lying down in the middle of the bed with it limbs sprawled everywhere making it hard for Minhyuk to squeeze himself in. “Go a little at the side.” Minhyuk whined.

Mong just fixed it position but was still in the middle of the bed.

“Fine.” Minhyuk muttered before he gathered Mong in his arms (for the first time in forever as in Frozen) and put it at the other side of the bed. “There. You can’t be selfish if you want to share the bed with me.” Minhyuk talked as if Mong understand him.

“Meow.” The cat purred before it closed it eyes again.

And as Minhyuk slept he felt a weight crushing on his abdomen.

He groggily opened his eyes and there on his abdomen.

Mong was sleeping soundly.

“Why do you like me so much?” Minhyuk asked, half asleep.

Krystal burst into the room downstairs. They had an agreement that they would share the room upstairs, the one with balcony but Minhyuk never seemed to bother about it cause he never brought it up. And all of his stuffs (his figurines and comic books) filled the room downstairs already.

“Did you-” Krystal stopped in her track. “-see Mong?” Krystal ended up softly.

Minhyuk was sleeping soundly on the bed with Mong atop of him.

 


“Mong-” Minhyuk whined. “-that is my seat.” Minhyuk pointed at the seat in the middle of the couch. “Why are you meowing back at me? I just want my seat.” Minhyuk flinched when Mong purred, a little loud. “Hey hey I paid the rent I can throw you out. Don’t be disrespectful.”

“Are you ing kidding me?” Krystal sighed as she entered the house. “Again? You are fighting with Mong again?” Krystal muttered as she took off her shoes and replaced it with slippers. “Mong is a cat.”

“It stole my seat.” Minhyuk complained.

“As if we don’t have any other seat.” Krystal returned. “One. Two. Three.” Krystal pointed at the couches. “We dead have three couches and you can seat anywhere. Why are you arguing with the cat?” Krystal nagged before she disappeared into the kitchen. 

“That is the best seat in the house.” Minhyuk mumbled.

“Don’t you have a life?” Krystal asked.

“Don’t you have a life?” Minhyuk mocked Krystal.

“I heard you.” Krystal said from the kitchen.

“What are you doing here?” Minhyuk asked as he walked into the kitchen, standing at the fridge where Krystal was pouring orange juice into her glass. 

“I live here idiot.” Krystal answered, judging Minhyuk.

“I know that idiot.” Minhyuk returned back the term of endearment to Krystal before he took the bottle of orange juice that Krystal put down and took his own glass. “I thought you suppose to have a class today.” 

“Dr. Yoon have a meeting with the engineering department today.” Krystal gave her back to Minhyuk as she walked to the sink. “She postponed the class to tomorrow. At four. Ugh. I rather have an eight in the morning class than four in the evening.” Krystal whined. “I hate class at four.”

“It make me sleepy.” They both said at the same time.

Minhyuk and Krystal stared at each other for a moment before they broke into a small chuckle. “Is that our first agreement?” Krystal pointed out between her laughter. It amused her. The situation. 

They never agreed on things.

Fighting was their way of communication.

And to tell the truth the reason they were still lacking quite a few furniture in the house was because they did not agree on the way it should be decorated. They had a small (Read : big) fight a few days after they moved in.

Yes. 

In between those stupid pranks because they wanted to throw each other out of the house.

The neighbour in front of their house thought they were a problematic married young couple and opted to give them an impromptu marriage advice in the elevator on their way for their morning classes. They were too shock to said a thing to the middle aged man. Minhyuk dead held a sandwich that he stole from Krystal in front of his mouth until they arrived at the lobby because he was too shock.

But we would talk about this later on. 

So in between juggling a typical student life they ended up fighting less.

According to Amber. “It is a blessing then because if not one of you might die.”

And the fact that she was right was a little bit worrying Seolh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter