Chapter 1 : Asshead & Big Head

The Accidental Housemate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Seohyun-” Minhyuk beamed as Seohyun opened the door. “-I am starving.” Minhyuk said as he invited himself inside the house. “What did you cook for breakfast today?” Minhyuk asked, already halfway to the kitchen. And moment later he was in his usual seat at the kitchen.

“Good morning to you too.” Seohyun said sarcastically as she waltzed in the kitchen.

“I come here every morning-” Minhyuk propped on his elbow as he looked at Seohyun moving diligently across the kitchen, preparing breakfast. “-don’t you should get use to it by now?” Minhyuk asked with a grin as he tried to reach the door of the refrigerator behind his seat.

Trying to open it.

To get the orange juice.

“Stand up. Walk.” Seohyun glanced at Minhyuk. “It was just behind you.”

“Seohyun-” Minhyuk finally got to open the door of the refrigerator and grabbed the carton of range juice. “-if you can reach it while sitting down why should you waste your energy by standing up?” Minhyuk said before he drank from the carton.

“Don’t do that.” Seohyun pulled the carton away from him. “Ugh.”

“The glass are too far.” Minhyuk stared at the neatly arranged glasses on the kitchen cupboard. Seohyun sighed-why did she even bothered? She shoved back the carton to Minhyuk and asked him to drink it all.

And continued talking about hygiene or something like that.

For the next ten minutes.

And he found himself not listening.

At all.

“Where is Yonghwa Hyung?” Minhyuk glanced at the stairs.

“He will come down later.” Seohyun replied as she served the food on the table. “Eat.” Seohyun said as she too took a seat in front of Minhyuk. Minhyuk was already digging in, acting like he did not had a proper meal for a week when in fact he came to her house for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Sometime even for supper.

And tea.

Minhyuk lived just a floor below her and sometime she wondered if he was living with them or living on his own because he spent most of his time in her house, all day all night. At time when he felt too lazy to go back to his own house (a floor below mind you) he just crashed on their couch or in their guest room.

Maybe he should started actually living with them and paid the rent.

“What are you doing here?” Yonghwa asked Minhyuk, the latter glanced at him as he munched on his much very delighted breakfast, gave him a big grin and went back to his breakfast. “Don’t you have classes?”

“Hyung-” Minhyuk swallowed his food. “-I am on my semester break.”

“I know.” Yonghwa grinned as he took his seat opposite Minhyuk. “I’m kidding.”

“You are not a dad yet but you already have a dad’s joke?” Minhyuk judged the older man. “Pathetic.” Minhyuk said, deadpanned before he went back to eat his breakfast. Seohyun found herself laughing at the exchange conversation between her husband and her cousin.

“Minhyuk-” Yonghwa sighed. “-please said that when I am not around.” Yonghwa added. “Thus I will not have to bear the consequences of getting hurt by your words.” Yonghwa had his hands on his chest with a grim expression.

“Kang Minhyuk-” Seohyun said as she poured coffee into a blue mug. “-we are going to visit Yonghwa’s relatives in Busan tomorrow.” Seohyun glanced at Minhyuk as she pushed the blue mug slowly to Yonghwa.

“What?” Minhyuk stopped eating, staring at both Seohyun and Yonghwa. “Why?” Minhyuk sounded so sad one would believe he grew up without never experiencing love. “Who is going to take care of me when you are gone?” Minhyuk held Yonghwa on his sleeve.

“Kang Minhyuk you are a twenty three years old adult.” Yonghwa pushed his hand away and continued eating. “You can take care of yourself. We are only gone for two days anyway. You are not going to die.” Yonghwa said. 

“I will leave you some food.” Seohyun said as she took a bite of her food. “I don’t want you to set up the entire building on fire trying to cook.” Seohyun said and it was like Minhyuk found the light at the end of the dark tunnel again.

“Seohyun-” Minhyuk smiled. “-do you know you are my favorite cousin?”

“I am your only cousin.” Seohyun scoffed. “Idiot.”

“You don’t have to throw the fact on my face like that.” Minhyuk murmured as he glanced at Yonghwa. “Hyung-” Minhyuk called Yonghwa. “-your wife is bullying me.” He complained to Yonghwa.

“I am on her side.” Yonghwa said calmly.

“What?” Minhyuk rolled his eyes. “What happen to bros before girls code?”

“Are you crazy?” Yonghwa glanced at Minhyuk. “If I sided with you guess who will be sleeping on the hallway tonight? I love you-” Yonghwa held Minhyuk on his shoulder. “-but I can’t risk it.” Yonghwa said and Seohyun rolled her eyes.

“You can sleep at my house.” Minhyuk grinned.

“That’s crazier.” Yonghwa rejected the idea immediately. “Your house smell like you have a mountain of unwashed socks hidden somewhere.” Yonghwa shook his head like he was imagining something very bad. “Ugh. I can’t even describe it.” Seohyun nodded in agreement as she smiled to Minhyuk.

“It’s from my publisher.” Yonghwa said to both Seohyun and Minhyuk before he walked away and sat in the living room answering his call. Minhyuk glanced at Yonghwa in the living room before he turned to Seohyun, tapping his fingers on the table.

“What?” Seohyun asked Minhyuk, knowing that her cousin had something in mind. 

“My mom called-” Minhyuk smiled to Seohyun and somehow Seohyun knew where this whole conversation was going. “-they are planning a birthday party for grandpa this weekend. You should-”

“Grandpa will not want me there.” Seohyun gave Minhyuk a grim smile.

“Seohyun.” Minhyuk glanced at Yonghwa in the living room, knowing that Seohyun and Yonghwa never talked about this very matter because Seohyun did not want to. “It had been two years since you cut off contact with the whole family except for me-”

“Grandpa throw me out of the house Minhyuk.” Seohyun cut him off.

“But Mom said he asked about you.” 

“I bet it was because he wants to know how devastated my life is.” Seohyun sighed before she got up from her seat and went to the sink, immediately turning on the tap. Minhyuk continued tapping on the table.

“But you are not living like that.” Minhyuk walked to the sink, standing beside her. His height made him towered her. “Yonghwa Hyung is not some unknown writer trying to publish his book anymore.” Seohyun tried to cut him off but Minhyuk stopped her.

“You are not a twenty three years old trying to figure out her life anymore. You are a successful editor for MODE and that is the most successful fashion magazine in Korea. Grandpa had nothing against the two of you anymore.” Minhyuk tried to convince Seohyun.

“You forget that the real reason he did not accepted Yonghwa into the family is because he is an orphan that have nothing and all of those reason you mentioned just now are just a cover.” Seohyun grabbed the plate that Minhyuk brought to the sink and started washing it.

“I can’t convince you right?” Minhyuk gave up.

“Nope.” Seohyun shook her head.

“Fine.” Minhyuk muttered and went back to his seat at the table, pouring himself a mug of coffee. Seohyun smiled to Minhyuk as she patted him on his shoulder. “Maybe soon.” Minhyuk said in a low voice. “Now I have to hear those repeated dad’s jokes for three hours alone.”

“I had been hearing the same dad’s jokes and knock knock jokes for years I swear-”

Seohyun laughed. 

“Oh-” Seohyun sat in front of Minhyuk. “-why don’t you bring-”

“Yoora?” Minhyuk guessed and Seohyun nodded her head. “Seohyun, are you out of your mind? Yoora talked so fast she can audition for Unpretty Rapstar. I don’t even know what she was talking about most of the time. I mean-” Minhyuk scratched his head. “-she is nice but no.”

“Minji?” Seohyun threw out another name.

“Double no.” Minhyuk shook his head.

“How about-”

“Oh look at that time.” Minhyuk pointed at the clock on the wall of the kitchen. “I forgot that today is the due date of my cat. I should go now.” Minhyuk hastily stand up from his seat and smiled to Seohyun.

“Since when do you have cat?” Seohyun asked, in doubt.

“Just now.” Minhyuk answered and he disappeared from the kitchen in a record time.

Seohyun laughed at her cousin as she sipped her coffee. Minhyuk did not suffered from the typical playboy-my-heart-is-crushed-by-my-first-love syndrome or my-parents-divorced-traumatized me syndrome. He was just did not want to be in a relationship yet.

“Where is Minhyuk?” Yonghwa asked as he scanned the kitchen.

“Home.” Seohyun shrugged. “His cat is in labor.”

“Since when did he have a cat?” Yonghwa asked, confused.

“Since he realized I want to set him up on a date.” Seohyun smiled.

 

“Why are you wearing this too huge for your face sunglasses?” Amber pointed at the sunglasses that Seolhyun was wearing. “I can’t see half of your face.” Amber added as she pushed the door to the administration building with Krystal stepping inside, flipping her hair as if announcing her arrival to the humble building of administration.

“Please-” Seolhyun followed Krystal inside with Amber and Luna following from behind. “-this is Krystal.” Seolhyun pointed at Krystal who looked like she was about to lead a riot. “Face it. She’s gonna make a scene like she always did and we all will be on the news again.” Seolhyun said. 

“If it is a bad scene I have to cover my reputation so this is good enough.” Seolhyun pointed at her face. “It covered half of my face already.” Seohyun explained. “If it is a good scene. I doubt that will happen, I will look fabulous in the picture.” Seolhyun smiled.

“By news you mean the university’s bulletin board?” Luna raised her brows.

“No one read that .” Amber expressed with pure hatred.

“No one read that but everyone loves cheap stupid gossip.” Seolhyun emphasized each of her words. “And we all know that the reason the university’s bulletin board still exist is because they focused on the cheap stupid gossip.” Seolhyun shrugged. And she was right.

“I-” Luna was cut off by the sound of Krystal talking with the clerk. 

“It is impossible that I can’t get to live in the dorm.” Krystal said to the clerk who looked like she was not interested in everything that Krystal was about to spurt from her petty mouth. She continued taking a bite of her sandwich as she stared at Krystal.

“Well it happened.” The clerk said. “It is possible.” The clerk smile the kind of smile that made one wanted to rip of her face. Amber nodded slowly and mouthed ‘she had good comeback.’

“Listen-” Krystal flipped her hairs and put both her hands on the counter, leaning closer. “I am on the dean’s list for every semester and the vice president of the faculty of chemical engineering association. I can name you every achievement I have from the first semester-”

“Name-” The clerk cut her off.

“Krystal Jung Soojung.” Krystal answered immediately.

“Krystal you can’t go berserk in here.” Amber tried to calm her friend down. “You might be on the front page of the so called university’s bulletin board for being Queen of temperamental again.”

“Well-” The clerk stared boringly at Krystal. “Miss I am on the dean’s list for every semester and the vice president of the faculty of chemical engineering association-” The clerk emphasized each of her word.

“She’s petty.” Seolhyun whispered and Amber agreed.

“We don’t even have your application.” The clerk stated, as matter of fact.

“What-” Krystal had her hand on her chest as she tried to brain the information. With all of her achievements the benefit to live in the dorm was like free pass to her but then again it would never happen if she did not even applied for it. “You didn’t just said that.”

“I just did.” The clerk shrugged.

“Appeal.” Krystal beamed. “I can appeal, right?”

“Not now you can’t.” The clerk wiggle her finger with a smile as if she just delivered a good news. “The women dorm are in major construction right now and we will not be receiving any appeal.” The clerk explained happily.

“No!” Krystal gasped.

“Yes!” The clerk had her arms crossed her chest.

“This is absolute madness. How can the university do a major construction now?” Krystal asked to no one but her higher pitch of voice attracted the attention of people that was in the office. “This university did dirty to-”

“Oh my God-” Amber dragged Krystal out. “Let’s get our asses out of trouble.”

“Are you insane?” Seolhyun pinch Krystal hard on her waist and the latter ouch in pain. “You can get expelled of the university for saying something like that if any of the authority heard you.” Seolhyun nagged on Krystal.

“Why is this happening to me?” Krystal sighed.

“Are you sure you really did sent the application for the dorm this semester?” Luna asked Krystal knowing that Krystal was kind of clumsy. Krystal scrunched her nose before she nodded enthusiastically and slowing down, her eyes squinted.

“Maybe.” Krystal murmured.

“Maybe.” Amber mocked Krystal. “Your maybe usually meant no.”

“Class is starting in four days. We have to start finding you a house like right now. The orientation for the new students is the day after tomorrow we will be so busy.” Luna reminded Krystal. “For the meantime you can just stay in my house.” Luna offered. 

“Your cramp house?” Krystal doubted it. “I’ll just stay at the hotel.” 

“In case you forget-” Seolhyun had her hands on her waist. “-all of your cards had been barred because you are a shopaholic and your dad said you will have to live with what you have.” Seolhyun said

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter