Chapter 4

Mayday
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bae Joohyun 

 

"Aigoo Joohyun-ah. Don't force yourself. Let it be. I will ask Kyungho to bring these boxes to the stores." My employer says trying to forbid me from handling these heavy boxes.

A supplier has sent us a few stocks for the convenient store just now and I want to move those boxes so that they will not block the main entrance.

I give her a smile and my eyes follow her hands as she touches my tummy. 

"You are pregnant and pregnant woman cannot lift these heavy boxes. Remember you are still in your first trimester. Be careful." She exclaims earning a nod from me. I am thankful that I have nice employers. Oh no. My baby is lucky. 

As soon as my employer knew that I am pregnant, she forbids me from doing heavy works. She also hires another part timer, Kyungho who will come after I have finished my morning shift. 

After I have finished my morning shift, I will be resting for two hours before I start my job at sauna. So here I am. I am inside my small room while having my lunch. 

I usually will use this time to eat and probably take a nap. I notice that I always get sleepy as soon as I know I am carrying my baby. A quick nap always helps me from dozing off during work. 

My hand reaches for my tummy and a smile plasters on my face as I caress my unborn baby. My other hand is busy feeding myself the food that I cooked earlier.

"Eomma promises that I will work hard so that you can eat nice and delicious food, my baby." I say and stare at my rice  bowl. A plain rice, a seaweed soup and kimchi. 

I want to eat healthily for my baby but I need to save the money for my labor. I have gone to the hospital and I was quite shocked when looking at the price. 

The price for C-section surgery is more expensive than the normal delivery. I also need to save for the both of us. I need to buy my baby's clothes and for emergency cases. 

That explains why I choose to cut everything that I could. Everything is for my unborn baby. Usually I will cook rice in the morning and divide the cooked rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner. If I were hungry, I will just eat the plain biscuits given by ahjumma.

 

***

Bae Joohyun

 

"Joohyun-ah, may I have a new towel ?" A middle age woman asks me as I clean up the floor. 

"Yes, Ahjumma. I will get you a new towel." I reply with a smile and get up to get her a new towel. As soon as I got the new towel, I bring myself to her who is waiting for me.

She is a regular customer who always comes to this sauna and we accidentally grew closer. I give the towel to her and continue doing my work. I knowthat the woman is looking at me but I continue doing my work. 

"Your shift has ended right ? Why are you still working?" She asks me making I lift my head to look at her. I weakly nod and reply to her question.

"Yes, Ahjumma. It has ended two hours ago but I am doing overtime." I answer with a smile. The sauna has many customers today and she cannot stop doing her work. It is also good because she can earn extra money by working overtime. 

"You should have rested, dear." She tells me and I only give her a smile. I want to earn an extra money for my baby. Besides, my over time will end in a few more minutes and I do not have to worry about getting home because I rent a room that is located at the back of this sauna.

"You are pregnant so take care of yourself." 

I quickly lifty head when hearing the word pregnant from her. I have never told anyone aside from my employers that I am pregnant. I also wear big clothes so that people would not know that I am a carrying a baby. Thank God we are in one of the secluded areas and no one's here.

"How do you know ?" I ask nervously. She probably is judging me inside her head which makes me lower my head.

"I am a mother too and I know by just looking at you, Joohyun-ah." She informs me and her hand automatically caresses my hair. It has been a long time since someone caresses my hair just like a mother does. I can feel her motherly's touch. 

"It is okay. I won't judge you, dear. Everyone makes mistakes and I still see you as a lovely girl. When everyone is condemning you, remember that you have me." She is now cupping my wet cheeks as I start to cry. For seconds, I feel bad because I once thought that she will judge me.

"It is not a mistake, Ahjumma." I say and wipe my tears. It is not, isn't it ? I do not want her to misunderstand about my situation. I want to tell her everything and I also have recognized her as my own mother that I have never met. 

"I was divorced." 

 

***

Park Jinyoung 

 

"Eomma, do you know her personally?" I ask my mother as soon as I sit on the chair. It is my lunch time and I am glad that my mother comes to the hospital bringing me lunch. She told me about a girl that she met recently and what shocked me is she even offered the girl to stay at our house. I have never met this girl and cannot believe how easy mother is when it comes to trusting people.

"Yes. She needs help, son." She says and hands me a pair of chopstick which I gladly take with my two hands. My mother always teaches me to use my two hands whenever someone gives me something.

"Where is her husband and why did he leave her when she is pregnant with his baby ?" I ask and spoon myself the hot soup into my mouth. 

"Son, eat first. I will tell you tonight." My mother says while my head as if I am still a baby. Well. I am her only son and I love it whenever my mother caresses my head. I look at my wrist watch and realize that I still have another half an hour before my duty starts.

"Are you leaving ?" She asks me after seeing my action. I swallow my rice before I could take. My mother never likes when I talk with my mouth full with food.

"My duty starts in half an hour. Let me enjoy Eomma's food first." I say and smile widely when she puts more meats into my rice. As I eat, I suddenly remember if I get the chance to meet that girl again. It has been a while since I met her and the day when I took her picture secretly, it was the last day I have ever seen her. Did she go to another hospital ? Is she finally getting pregnant after the session with Dr. Choi ? A thought suddenly came accross my mind. Did she know that I took her picture ? Could it be possible she went to another hospital because of me ?

"Son!"

I wake up from my reverie when I heard my mother's loud voice. I look at her and she looks like she is ready to attack me.

"Are you day dreaming ? What are you thinking about ?" She asks making I gulp down my saliva. Should I tell her ? I have never hidden any secrets from her. She knows everything. I wonder if I should tell her about this.

"I am ---" I cannot finish my words when suddenly my phone rings. It must be an emergency case. I quickly take the tissue and stand up earning a look from my mother.

Department Nurse

"Dr. Park, There is an emergency case and Dr. Choi is getting ready."

"Coming" I tell her, end the phone call and I look at my mother apologetically before I finish everything in my bowl. It is normal. People calling me even when I am resting and off from my shift. 

"It is okay, son. Leave it. Eomma will clean these. Go."

 

****

Bae Joohyun

"Come in, Joohyun. Don't be shy." 

I enter the house hesitately while pulling my luggage. I am going to stay at her house for the time being. The place that I rent out before this, which is the sauna is under renovation and my boss apologized as I need to move out temporarily. I do not have any place at the moment and Ahjumma heard the talk between my boss and I.

She offered me to stay at her house. Apparently they have an extra room. I was reluctant at first thinking about her family however, I learnt that she only lives in this house with her son. 

"Thank you, Ahjumma. I owe you a lot." I say as I follow her to my new room. I sigh in relief when seeing my brand new room. At least, it is decent enough compared to the sauna store. 

"Don't thank me. I am happy that I finally have a friend to talk with. My son works shift and we barely have the time to talk." She exclaims with a smile. She always looks happy whenever she talks about her son and seems like she really treasures her son. Who wouldn't ? Even I already feel attached to my unborn baby.

"Ahjumma, may I know how much is the rent ?" I ask making her to shake her head. My eyes follows the direction of her hand before it lands on my soon to be bigger tummy.

"No need to pay anything. Save the money for your baby." She says and caresses my tummy. I quickly shake my head indicating that I cannot accept that. She already offered me her place and it is not nice if I stay here without paying the rent.

"I cannot do that, Ahjumma. I have to pay for the bills too." I tried again.

"Keep the money, Joohyun-ah."

****

Park Jinyoung

I immediately close my eyes as soon as I sit on the bus chair. Today was a hectic day. We had been in the operation theatre for nearly 5 hours. Luckily there are many people in the bus today so I can rest by sitting on the chair. I force for my eyes to be opened as I do not want to miss my station even though I feel like I will pass out anytime. I could not wait to reach home and sleep.

After 10 minutes, I finally reach my house and my mother's laughter can be heard. I also hear another laugh and wonder who is coming to our house at this hour. It is already late and by thinking of that, I am 100% I cannot go straight to my room to sleep.

I flinch in shock when the door of the main entrance swung open revealing my mother with a big smile. A warm smile never vanishes from her face every time she greets me.

"Oh, Son. Have you eaten ? Eomma is having snack right now. Come. Let me introduce you to Joohyun." My mother tells me and pulls my hand to the living room. This is first time we are having another guest in our house and I am kind of nervous. To add that the guest is a girl.

I stand with a shock expression when seeing the girl in front of me. It has been a long time since I saw her at the hospital. Am I dreaming ? Am I really seeing her in my house ? She looks surprised too but still bows to me while saying her greeting. I feel a nudge from my mother and looks at her with a confuse expression.

"Greet her" She muffles making I bow to that girl. A lot of questions came into my

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter