let me stay by your side

the playlist

let me stay by your side || official || with english subs ||

 

 

 

 

 

Lu Han looked outside the window and stared at the people playing football by the school grounds. He wanted to go out and join them to at least relieve his stress from all of the school works he has been doing since the term started. He never liked the fact that his professors give them things to do in their supposed to be free time and that he was taking a program in college that wasn’t his first choice. However, it was his parents’ money that was spent on his education so he has no choice but to follow their commands. 

 

He sighed as he heard his professor talking about financial statements and homework that they need to pass by next meeting. It was getting more boring and Lu Han stared at the clock hanging by the board, waiting for the numbers to flash 15:00. His professor’s words are slowly making him sleep. Noticing that there are only ten minutes before this subject ends and no one is listening to him anyway, their professor dismisses them early.

 

“Don’t forget to turn in your papers next meeting.” The professor said as he arranged his things before going out. Some of the students only groaned in reply while some muttered a quiet ‘yes.’

 

“Hey, wake up.” Lu Han gently tapped Minseok’s shoulder as the latter’s eyes fluttered slowly. Sensing that the class is over, Minseok removed his face from his table and faced his best friend.

 

“That was a very boring class awhile ago.” He groaned and Lu Han just shook his head while quietly leaving the room.

 

“You’re leaving?” Minseok asked as he soon followed Lu Han with his backpack open making some of his papers fall. Lu Han looked back at his friend and sighed while helping him get the papers that fell out.

 

“Hey, Lu Han! Don’t forget to come early tomorrow. We have some important visitors and we need you to assist them for the whole day.” Junmyeon, their block president, called. Lu Han just nodded and sighed.

 

“Vice President probs.” Minseok snickered causing Lu Han to roll his eyes at him.

 

“But tomorrow’s the big event of the music department. Will you come?” Minseok asked and Lu Han just stared at him.

 

 

 

 

 

Oh Sehun, a tall and lean music major sophomore, was currently busy writing new songs that came up into his mind. He has been writing songs ever since he was in high school. Music made him alive. He always wanted to become a composer and produce songs that the public can learn to love. He showed incredible results in college when he showcased all the songs he wrote and was eventually known throughout the campus for his talent. He was assigned by the music department’s dean, Mr. Lee, as the one in charge of the biggest event of the music department together with his senior, Park Chanyeol. 

 

During the past few months, Sehun was quite cautious with how he should lead them for he was only a sophomore and there were a lot of performers that were in a batch higher than him. However, he realised that the group was welcoming and treated him as a leader and not as someone lower than them. This boosted his confidence in leading them and he became more focused on the task he has been given. Chanyeol, on the other hand, is stricter than him but that was understood since he was a perfectionist. There were some performers who were taking it badly but majority were okay with how Chanyeol handled them because they believed that it was the only way for them to get better. Eventually, the performers who were talking behind his back stopped and simply focused on practicing rather than bringing others down.

 

Tomorrow is the day of the showcase and Sehun can’t stop thinking of possible scenarios that can happen. The stage might not be ready while people are filling the auditorium or he messes up his performance or maybe some performers won't be able to come because they were injured or what if the whole showcase doesn't entertain the audience? His train of thoughts were stopped suddenly.

 

“Sehun-ah.” A soft voice from behind can be heard. Sehun turned at once knowing whose voice it belongs to. He smiled and waited for the other to approach him.

 

“Are you done?” Sehun asked as he carefully put his arms around the smaller boy. The boy nodded and hugged him back.

 

“We should go home now or we can eat somewhere if you want?” The boy giggled and Sehun just nodded after giving his boyfriend a kiss on the forehead.

 

“Han, will you come to the event tomorrow? I know you guys have this big test coming but I really want you to come.” Sehun waited for an answer but all he got was a small smile.

 

“I’m still not sure, baby. We have visitors tomorrow and this will give me extra credits.” Sehun sighed and tried to mask his disappointment. He smiled and took the older’s hand in his and whispered, “it’s okay, I understand.”

 

 

 

 

 

Lu Han tried to sleep that night, he turned and turned, adjusted his position, tried to count sheeps but he still lied awake on his bed. There was a piano on the right side of his room and a guitar next to it. He always loved playing these instruments ever since he was a child. He would compose songs and sing them in public or upload them on the internet. He thought he made his parents proud because he was proud of himself for creating music even if not all people recognized it. His parents were very supportive when he was in middle school, going to his recitals and such.

 

In high school, his parents were always hinting him to take a business program in college. They were so disappointed whenever he fails his math and economics subjects. They didn’t care if he aced his music class because music doesn’t have anything to do with his future, they said. Lu Han, being the obedient son he is, started to work hard especially in his maths. Eventually, he got the hang of it and aced every single test given to them which made his parents proud.

 

Lu Han was contented with the proud smiles his parents gave him. One day, when he told his mom that he will be out to attend his piano class, his mother stopped him. Lu Han was so confused and his mom only told him that they stopped paying for the classes because it doesn’t benefit him anymore. They said it was purely for leisure and enjoyment but the fun is over now and he needs to be more serious about his studies. 

 

On the night of his high school graduation, as he got home, he quickly went up to his room and locked the door to finally play his piano one last time before he gives it up. His college applications were all sent out months before and an acceptance letter from one of the biggest universities came by their door that morning. He was finally accepted as a Business Management major. He knew he had to work hard, for his family and for his future. 

 

He decided to walk over his piano and stared at it for a long time. It has been so long since he played the said instrument. Even when he ached to touch the keys and play, he just can’t. He just had no energy playing it now since most of the time he’s stuck with papers to be passed the next morning or presentations of data for the week after. It was tiring. So he hovered his hands to the keys and started to play.

 

He grimaced at the sound he heard. It has been so long and his fingers are now stiff, memory a bit hazy that he doesn’t remember which keys are the right ones, and his fingers lock for even just ten minutes of playing. He definitely needed someone to talk to right now.

 

 

 

 

 

23:41

 

Sehun groaned as he stared at the clock of his phone. He was trying his best but he just can’t sleep. It’s the big day tomorrow and he was so nervous. His parents will be coming and some other talent scouts from different agencies will watch the show. It’s no secret that he wanted to be scouted and make music of his own in the best quality that the agencies can offer. Eventually, his phone went off. He knew that there’s only one person that would call him at ungodly hours.

 

He swiped through the screen and smiled.

 

“Hey.” Sehun said groggily, pretending that he just woke up.

 

“Oh, did I disturb you?” Lu Han asked worriedly through the other line. Sehun just chuckled and shook his head.

 

“What’s up? Why did you call? Did you miss me?” Sehun asked teasingly.

 

“Yeah, I miss you!” He heard Lu Han giggling softly and he smiled widely at this.

 

“We just saw each other hours ago!” Sehun joked but quickly continued, “I miss you too.” 

 

“So I guess you’re still nervous for tomorrow huh?”

 

“Yeah. I hope you’ll come though.” Sehun smiled sadly. He knew about his boyfriend’s thoughts on music. How he loves it dearly but sadly can’t pursue it. He prepared his performance just for the boy, hoping it can give him strength and never give up on his dreams. However, Lu Han won’t be coming to his performance.

 

“I’m sorry, Sehun-ah. There will be professionals coming to the university tomorrow and I was assigned to help them around. I’m so sorry. Really.” Sehun can hear the sadness in the other’s voice. Though disappointed, he reassured the other that it was fine.

 

“I can just let my classmate record my performance and send it to you.” Sehun tried to liven up the mood and it seems like it worked. He heard Lu Han clapping his hands and blabbering nonstop.

 

This was what he liked the most during their talks. Lu Han talking about his day as if he hasn’t told him enough while they were walking home. His boyfriend is simply too talkative but he likes it. It makes him feel less nervous. He always loved the way he’s hearing Lu Han’s voice. If only he could hug the boy right now, he would. 

 

“So are you less nervous now?” Lu Han asked.

 

“Yes, baby! Thank you.” Sehun smiled, he knew Lu Han only talked and talked for him to get his mind off from his nervousness.

 

“You’re welcome, Sehun-ah.” Lu Han replied softly.

 

“Do you want me to pick you up tomorrow so we can go to school together?” Sehun asked, hopefully. At least, he can see him before the stress falls on him at the university.

 

“Okay!” Lu Han chirped, “hey I’ll sleep now. Good night Sehun-ah. I love you.”

 

“Sleep tight, Han. I love you.”

 

 

 

 

 

Lu Han was ready to go to school when he saw Sehun from his window. He dashed downstairs and kissed his mother goodbye. His mother was quite confused as to why his son was so excited to go to school. But Lu Han was already at the door before she could ask. It wasn’t everyday that they went to school together that’s why Lu Han was so excited. It usually happens when both of them are needed to be early or one of them has something to do before classes.

 

“Sehun-ah, good morning!” Lu Han skipped towards Sehun and kissed him on the cheek. Sehun swung his arm over Lu Han’s shoulder as they walked to the university.

 

Not many from the university knew about their relationship since they weren’t that popular and no one really cares when you’re in college unlike high school where gossips from the first floor will be heard by those in the fifth floor in a span of one day. When they reached the gates, Lu Han turned to his boyfriend and grinned.

 

“Sehun-ah, do well on your showcase, okay?” Lu Han then enveloped the other in a tight hug, earning glances from some students passing by, but since it was still early, there weren’t much people. “I’ll cheer for you.”

 

“Thank you, Han.” Sehun smiled as he made the hug tighter.

 

“Good luck to you too! Earn those credit points you need!” Sehun cheered the boy and ruffled his hair.

 

“I’ll be going now.” Lu Han said and Sehun just nodded as they separated their ways.

 

Lu Han walked with a smile on his face. He greeted everyone he knew in the hallway. As he turned the corner, he saw Junmyeon and rushed to him. The president then greeted him and told him to take a sit.

 

“Lu Han, I have good news!” He sang. Lu Han raised his right eyebrow waiting for the news, “the important visitors postponed their visit today! So basically, we’ll just have classes today until 12:00 and won’t have to attend to the guests!”

 

“That’s not all! You can also watch the music department’s showcase! Isn’t it great?” Junmyeon was too excited and even clapped his hands that it scared Lu Han.

 

“Why are you so excited?” Lu Han asked with a little laugh.

 

“Nothing, I just saw you and your boyfriend walking awhile ago and I thought you guys looked so cute and I’m so glad you’ll be able to watch him later and I think I ate too much chocolates.”

 

“Who the eats chocolate in the morning?” Junmyeon just shrugged with a grin in his face.

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun made his way to the auditorium with a guitar on his right hand and a music notebook on his left. He looked around to make sure that all decorations on the stage are okay and that the performers are ready backstage. The event will start in less than an hour and everything must be set according to schedule.

 

“Sehun!” Chanyeol ran to the said boy with a wide grin on his face.

 

“Is everything alright?” Sehun asked as he arranged all his music sheets on the table.

 

“Yeah, the performers are all waiting backstage and people are already coming inside the auditorium.” Chanyeol was shaking, not because he’s nervous but because he’s so excited that their hard work is finally being showcased to the whole campus.

 

Sehun looked at the audience and scanned the whole place. The auditorium was starting to get crowded. He was still hoping that Lu Han would come. Ten more minutes. He checked his watch and heard Chanyeol calling him to come with him backstage to do some pep talk before the show starts together with their supervisor.

 

"This is the day we're all waiting for!" Mr. Lee started and everyone backstage cheered. "Everyone has been working so hard for this day and I want to congratulate you all for all the effort you have put into your practices. I know you can all do well later and I'll be cheering for everyone later. Good luck, everyone!"

 

"I know everyone is thrilled to perform later and I am really honored to be the one in charge of this event together with Chanyeol hyung. So, good luck everyone! We can do this!" Sehun finished his short speech and looked at Chanyeol to say a few words.

 

"I hope everyone can remember what they practiced for the past few months. I know we have been hard on you guys, sometimes." Chanyeol scratched the back of his head and the others just laughed. "But we just want you guys to do better in every practice because we want to maximize your potentials. So I just want to wish everyone good luck and enjoy your performances later." 

 

Everyone cheered and huddled together with their hands stretched to the middle. Mr. Lee counted and everyone shouted with energy and passion, "fighting!"

 

 

 

 


"Ladies and gentlemen," Chanyeol started with a magician outfit as he stood in the middle of the stage with a spotlight shining down on him. He bowed to the audience and started to talk once more. "Welcome to the Musical Rendezvous!"

 

The curtains behind him started to open and all of the performers were onstage singing their opening act. It was a very lively introduction to the showcase in which everyone in the auditorium clapped loudly when the lights went off. Soon, performers entered — in solos, pairs, and groups.  

 

"Hello everyone!" Sehun glanced around the auditorium and his heart skipped a beat when he saw him. Lu Han is here. Sehun felt his blood rush to his face when he saw his boyfriend come even when he told him that he couldn’t. Lu Han smiled at the man on stage. It was finally Sehun's turn. He knew Sehun has been working so hard for this showcase for the past months and he just feels so proud to see his boyfriend standing there with a bright smile on his face. Lu Han was very much entranced with the whole showcase so far. He entered the auditorium even before the showcase started. "Today, I'll be performing a very special song that I wrote. I hope everyone who is experiencing downfalls in their lives start to believe more in their own selves and always remember that there will be someone that you can lean on.”

 

Lu Han made a promise with himself that this will be the last time he’ll watch something related to his dreams. His eyes twinkled as soon as he heard different genres of music, some original while some revived famous songs from the past. This was his passion. This is his passion. He always dreamed of being a performer, he liked the way people would appreciate his singing or how people are moved to tears because of his voice. He loves it even until now.

 

"Let us welcome Do Kyungsoo, our singer for this performance!” Sehun announced as he settled himself in front of the piano. Kyungsoo emerged from the left side of the stage and stood in front of the microphone at the middle of the stage. 

 

“Hello, I’m Do Kyungsoo. We hope everyone will like this performance. Enjoy!” Kyungsoo looked back at Sehun and nodded, signalling him to start playing. 

 

 

 

 

 

Lu Han scanned the crowded auditorium once the showcase was over. He still can’t explain what he feels. One moment, he tells himself that this will be his last affiliation with anything relating to music but when Sehun performed together with Kyungsoo, he just can’t let his dream go. Not only did Kyungsoo’s voice and Sehun’s melody through the piano made an impact on him, but the feeling and message of the song just made him see that giving up on his dreams isn’t the best choice. He also felt as if Sehun was talking to him through this song. 

 

Since there were too many people, Lu Han decided to leave and just wait for Sehun outside. He opted to text Sehun and tell him where he was. After a few minutes, Sehun came and enveloped Lu Han in a bone-crushing hug. Lu Han just laughed and patted his boyfriend’s back. He can hear Sehun sobbing quietly.

 

“Hey, don’t cry. You did so well there! Congratulations on making a very successful showcase, baby!” Lu Han said as he continued to pat the boy’s back.

 

“I’m just so happy.” Sehun said through his tears. All the stress and anxiety he got from this event suddenly went away when he saw Lu Han by the audience, watching him.

 

“You came.” Sehun was still hugging him but it was less tighter now, “thank you.”

 

“Of course, I wouldn’t miss it for the world.” Lu Han smiled sweetly.

 

 

 

 

 

They went home hand-in-hand, with smiles and laughter, and ice cream in their hands. It was a good day and they decided to spend the rest of the day with each other. When they spotted a playground, they sat on one of the benches while observing the kids playing. There was suddenly a comfortable silence while they finish their ice creams.

 

Sehun finished his ice cream and just waited for Lu Han to finish his. He stared at the other with loving eyes while the other stared ahead. It was one of the rare moments where Lu Han looked free and not restrained from his own prison in his mind. Sehun liked this kind of Lu Han. He didn’t like it whenever his boyfriend would lock himself up in his room and cry, trapping himself inside his head full of words that aren’t supposed to be there. 

 

“Hey, Han.” The boy turned his head as he was called. Sehun placed his thumb near Lu Han’s lips where some of his ice cream were smudged. Lu Han blushed a little and Sehun grinned.

 

“I wrote that song for you.” Sehun said. 

 

“I know, it was sung in Chinese, who else would you write that for?” Lu Han but eventually stared at his boyfriend’s eyes, “thank you.”

 

“I know you weren’t feeling good last night. That’s why you called right? I just want you to know that I’ll always be here for you, okay?” Sehun scooped Lu Han in his arms and the latter nodded while looking up only to see Sehun’s neck.

 

“Why are you so cheesy?” Lu Han mumbled silently but he was enjoying every single bit of it.

 

“You always have me. No matter what happens, I’m here. Always remember that.”

 

 

 

 

 

hello i know it's not too much fluff like i intended but i decided to focus more on this first.  i want you guys to know that if you have a dream, never give it up. even if the whole world tells you to just leave it, don't. and if you still don't know where life is going for you and you feel lost, it's okay. don't rush, okay? the song sehun 'wrote' in this story is 'let me stay by your side' obviously. i hope you guys listen to it! personally, i like the lyrics of this song because it kind of uplifts my spirits knowing that there will be someone or something that can give me hope in everything. i hope it does the same to you.

you are loved.♡