The Vlog

A Different Morning

The Trip of a Lifetime
uploaded by kimkaiiiii

18 January 2018

Comments
Sorted by relevance

bbhyun did you really just--
jdaejdaecaptain ^ i think he did…
channieboy ^ im shook
taemintyfresh called it, called it at six years old
ohsehuhuhuhu i wish i could unwatch something
bbhyun im back bc i still can’t believe this is real????? ew

click to expand [1000+]

-

 

“Good morning, my baby bears. I'm supposed to be studying, and if you're Kyungsoo watching then please don't kill me, but I was so excited to upload this I just couldn't wait!" Jongin holds his hands in a mini prayer, as if to say 'please forgive me.' 

“As you all know, I went to South Korea with Kyungsoo over winter break, and it was a-ma-zing. Editing this made me miss Korea already, I can't wait to go back and eat all the good food again. But we'll definitely have to choose a different airbnb next time, 'cause-- well, you'll see." Jongin winks at the camera.

"Anyway, I'll check back in at the end of this video. I really tried to be artistic with the editing of this video, so let's hope this works out!"

The video transitions into footage at the airport.

"He's so ugly," Jongin whispers into the camera as he zoomed into Kyungsoo's nose hairs. "Look at this. Can you believe I stare at this face seven days a week?"

"I will kill you," Kyungsoo replies, half-heartedly trying to swat the camera away as he suppressed yet another yawn. The camera flips around to face Jongin again, who smiles into the camera, shaking his head.

“You love me too much to do that.”

“We’ll see if you’re this confident in the afterlife.”

Jongin chuckles, shaking his head. “Our flight boards pretty soon. The flight’s going to be around 17 hours, we have a layover on the way. I forgot where it’s at though…”

“Taiwan,” Kyungsoo’s voice carries from off-camera.

“Right, Taiwan! It’ll only be an hour though, so it’s not too bad. I don’t know how much of the flight I can vlog without it being boring, but I’ll try my best to catch the good parts, like if Kyungsoo farts or something.”

A loud thump is heard off camera, followed by a pain expression from Jongin.

An announcement calls for the boarding of a flight. Jongin waves at the camera, saying, “That’s us! Talk to y’all soon!” before the scene turns to black, only to be followed by short clips overlapped with music of the view outside the plane window, their meals, and Jongin pestering Kyungsoo by changing his personal TV’s channels.

The next scene with audio is when they arrive at Incheon International Airport.

“We’re here!” Jongin yell-whispers. “The motherland!” The camera shakes as Kyungsoo and Jongin enter the frame, laughing.

“Did you practice your Korean?” Kyungsoo asks as he helps re-adjust Jongin’s backpack strap.

“A little, but we both know I’m going to being relying on your Korean here.”

“You’re helpless.”

“That’s why I have you.”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes, but the tips of his ears are red.

After getting their luggage and calling a taxi (and listening to Kyungsoo try his best to say the directions to their airbnb in broken Korean to a patient older taxi driver), they arrive at their home for the next week.

“This is… smaller than the pictures suggested.”

The camera pans around the airbnb, located right in the middle of Seoul. It’s a tiny studio apartment with the kitchen and bed located right next to each other. The restroom is up the narrow staircase. Everything is clean and tidy, and the view is beautiful, but compared to what they’re used to, it is much smaller.

“Good thing you’re tiny, right-- I’M SORRY, I’M JOKING, I’M JOKING, PUT THAT LAMP DOWN.”

The shaky camera catches only blurs of two figures, but the viewers can put two and two together to piece the scene together.

“I know we made reservations to eat out today, but honestly, I’m exhausted. That flight was a lot less comfortable than I thought it’d be.”

“We could just sleep and order in food later. I do want to see how their food delivery services work.”

Kyungsoo unpacks his luggage, hanging up both of their clothes for them. He glances over at Jongin. “You sure?”

“Yeah! I’m tired too.”

“You slept for the entire flight.”

“I’m a growing boy.”

“Then hang up your own clothing.”

“You hang clothes so well though~”

Kyungsoo snorts, but he doesn’t stop what he’s doing. Jongin continues to go through the kitchen and look at the amenities, oh-ing and ah-ing at the camera.

“Hey Jongin?” Kyungsoo's voice comes from a distance.

“What’s up?”

“Where’s the other bed?”

Kyungsoo appears from the bathroom, freshly washed up now and changed into new clothes. The towel around his neck catches drops of water falling from his hair.

“What do you mean?”

“I mean, didn’t we reserve an airbnb with two beds? Where’s the other bed?”

The two of them search the entire (tiny) apartment, but no second bed miraculously appears. They’re back at the only bed in the studio, and a twin-sized bed no less.

“Well, it’s not like we’ve never shared a bed,” Jongin’s voice comes from behind the camera, but it’s focused on Kyungsoo, who is glaring at the piece of furniture like it personally insulted his mother.

“Yeah, when we were kids. Not now.”

“It’s no big deal.”

“Jongin, can we even fit on that together?”

“Yeah, we’ll just have to squeeze. See, look.” Jongin climbs onto the bed and scoots all the way to the side, before patting the space beside him. “Plenty of room.”

“Fine,” Kyungsoo grumbles, crossing his arms and turning away. “But if you kick me off the bed in your sleep, I will throw you off the bed and you’ll sleep on the floor for the rest of the trip.”

“He says that, but he wouldn’t really. He’s a softie on the inside,” Jongin whispers into the camera.

“What was that?”

“Nothing!”

Jongin winks at the camera like he just got away with a crime.

“I think today’s just going to be us staying in. It’s pretty late here anyway. Talk to you tomorrow! We’ll be visiting Seoul and shopping, so that’ll be lots of fun. Good night! Kyungsoo, say good night to the vlog!”

“Good night, vlog.”

The video slips to darkness again, before it opens up in the morning in a completely different setting: a convenience store.

js3iN_llZoeFf-k6QkSZruySEsh0cBgBBvJswVSANIrKMky3ijA-ciGKOKHk5U-lkBoYzQWxXYIqXeHXepXpZjmCp6Q0Mno0THID6AQmv-YdtWJnqCb3glCJeMU8cXPzb5BdlB_c

“Today we are visiting a few shopping centers and walking around the city. Are you excited, Kyungsoo?!”

The camera flips to show Kyungsoo sitting beside him, eating a bite of kimbap as he stares out the window. He grunts in response.

“We made a list of places we want to go, but to be honest, we’re probably just going to wing it. I just want to make sure we go to Lotte.”

“I still don’t get your obsession with Lotte. It’s just a department store," Kyungsoo says, voice slightly muffled by the food in his mouth.

“A department store with amazing ads.”

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Sure. Hurry and eat before I finish all this while you’re talking to the camera.”

“I’m too excited to eat!”

“That’s a first.” Kyungsoo snorts. Jongin sets the camera down to pick up his chopstick, and the two eat in silence as they continue to people watch.

The next scene, they’re walking down the streets together. Kyungsoo is slightly behind Jongin, doing his best to stay out of shot of the camera but failing.

“I've never seen snow in person before," Jongin notes, sticking his hand out of his pocket to catch a snowflake. 

“Me neither. We're spoiled in California," Kyungsoo replies. "I'm glad we bought these jackets before we left though, or we'd be freezing." He's referencing to their matching puffy jackets.

“Yeah, but we'll probably never wear these again," Jongin chuckles. "There's no need to back at home."

"You never know," Kyungsoo points out. "Maybe we'll visit the mountains or something. Or maybe we'll even come back here."

"I would like that," Jongin answers, voice thoughtful.

It's quiet as they walk, taking in the sights.

“Let’s go into this shop!” Jongin announces, pointing to a colorful boutique. “I think that shirt would look good on you!” He points to a dark green floral print button-up shirt.

“Is that a joke or…”

“Seriously! Let’s get matching shirts here, Kyungsoo!”

Kyungsoo purses his lips. “Fine, but can we at least get a different kind of shirt? Those look like the type tourists wear to Hawaii. Not to mention it's dead winter, I don't even know why any place would have those on display."

“It’s probably their theme,” Jongin says with a shrug even though Kyungsoo does not look convinced. “Come on!”

There’s a montage of Jongin and Kyungsoo trying on clothes, and both of them hiding laughter behind clenched fists as they force each other into ridiculous outfits. They do eventually buy matching floral print shirts, at Jongin’s request, as shown through footage of Kyungsoo handing the cashier a credit card with a reluctant look on his face as he looks into the camera.

“I’m never going to wear this,” Kyungsoo says, holding up the bag after purchasing it. 

“Yes, you are. It looks good on you!” It doesn’t take a detective to notice the redness of Jongin’s ears as he compliments his best friend.

“Whatever,” Kyungsoo grumbles, walking off before Jongin, leaving Jongin as the only one in the frame.

The vlog follows them to Lotte, where they’re looking at the snack section.

“I want to buy everything.”

Kyungsoo shakes his head. “We have a budget. You get one item.”

“You’re not my accountant.”

Eventually Jongin buys two snacks and the video follows them through the store, before it turns black and they’re back at the airbnb.

“Sorry for the random cut off earlier today!” Jongin’s voice greets. “I thought I charged my spare camera battery, but apparently not. But to recap, Kyungsoo and I just walked around and ate most of today. I’ll insert a clip of the food photos we took. Oh, fun story, we actually ran into one of my fans! If you’re watching Lin, hi! It was nice seeing you today!”

“Thanks for the gifts!” Kyungsoo calls from somewhere not on screen.

“Yep, thanks for the gifts! I can’t wait to try these snacks!” The camera pans down to the bed, where Jongin laid out the variety of goodies and a card. Kyungsoo comes into the shot too, sitting on the bed beside the goods.

“Tell the camera what we’re doing tomorrow, Soo.”

“We’re going to go on a tour, thanks to one of your sponsors. It’s going to take us to Gyeongbok Palace and Jogye Temple, and then Mount Bugak. Sorry if I butchered those words.” Kyungsoo squints as he tries to remember the names of the top of his head.

“They sound great to me.”

Kyungsoo rolls his eyes. “How would you know.”

“I’m just being a supportive best friend!”

Kyungsoo gets up, and even though the camera doesn’t see it, the viewer can infer that Kyungsoo shoves Jongin because the camera tilts and Jongin lets out a yelp.

The camera flips back to show a smiling Jongin.

“We’re just going to wash up and sleep soon, maybe watch some dramas since me and Kyungsoo started one on the plane. What was it called again…”

“Age of Youth.”

“Right! Age of Youth. But we’re still a bit jetlagged, so we’ll see how that goes. Good night, baby bears! See you tomorrow!”

The vlog fades to dark, before it cuts to a scene with Kyungsoo and Jongin in the bus.

lu7PLPC-o_5uVl2l5HXTnEWrWLlbf1GpDC6Gn6xCfBye9mLKAJcPwnaSurJAIhqVh5bZrXmXF815eViXry95VsAroHoXTC9oucZk6QSV-d5mefgTfv2_9TtI7nPX3HgyNWpHUN2G

Jongin pants, “We almost missed the bus--”

“-- because someone forgot to set an alarm.” Kyungsoo glares at Jongin.

“It’s all in the past,” Jongin says as he waves his hand, still catching his breath. “The point is we made it! Our first stop is the palace, but I’m really excited for the temple!”

Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow, paused in his search for the seatbelt. “Since when are you religious?”

“You don’t have to be religious to enjoy the temple.”

Kyungsoo eyes him with suspicion, but doesn’t argue.

“I’m going to take a nap. Wake me up when we arrive at Gyeongbok Palace.” Kyungsoo disappears from the shot of the camera, but Jongin still remains. However, his eyes aren’t focused on anything in view.

Instead, he’s looking to the side where Kyungsoo was earlier, a warm look in his eyes. The camera shakes as Jongin takes a jacket out of his backpack and places it over Kyungsoo, who grumbles a rough ‘thanks.’ A few more seconds pass of Jongin not even addressing the camera, until finally, the scene transitions into footage of the bus moving.

“We’re here!” Jongin says as he hops off the bus, Kyungsoo in view behind him. As Jongin spins around to show the scenery, Kyungsoo can be seen stretching.

“We’re going to be here for about two hours, so be sure to use the restroom,” Kyungsoo reminds him as he finishes stretching.

“Will do,” Jongin hums, following the tour group they came with into the palace.

The video is mostly scenery, until Jongin pops into the shot again.

“The funniest thing just happened, you guys.”

“It wasn’t that funny,” comes Kyungsoo’s voice off-camera.

“It was hilarious! So this sweet, old Korean woman comes up to me and Kyungsoo and starts complimenting us. I didn’t understand much of it, but I recognized the word ‘handsome.’ Anyway, Kyungsoo used Google Translate to figure out what she said, and apparently she said we look like we could be royalty!” Jongin’s grin widens the longer he speaks.

“She said that about you, not me.”

Jongin shakes his head. “She was pointing at the both of us!”

After more shots of scenery, including them getting back onto the bus and sharing snacks during the ride, they arrive at the temple next.

“Where’s the wish-making place!” Jongin exclaims as he looks around the wide expanse of area in the middle of the temple.

“What? There’s no wish-making area at this temple. Didn’t you read the pamphlet I gave you last night?” Kyungsoo says as he adjusts his backpack strap.

“But I thought all temples have one,” Jongin says, a pout slowly forming on his lips. “I was really looking forward to it…”

The rest of the time, Jongin still shows as much of the temple as he can, sans for the areas where photography is restricted. As they’re leaving, Kyungsoo speaks this time.

“Did you still have fun even though you couldn’t make a wish?”

Jongin shrugs. “I made a wish anyway, when we went in to pray.”

Kyungsoo looks over, surprised. “What? About what?”

Jongin raises a finger to his lips. “It’s a secret. I can’t tell you or it won’t come true!”

“I don’t think that’s how this works with prayers. Just tell me.” Kyungsoo nudges Jongin with his elbow.

“Nope. You’ll just have to wait to see if it comes true!”

“And how am I supposed to know if it comes true?”

“I’ll tell you if it does.” Jongin’s soft smile is the last thing on the screen before it fades to film of the mountains, with the caption over it saying ‘honestly I’m scared of heights so I didn’t film much here but enjoy the scenery!

 

cNi5lYj94ner3hQ8zVfWJT2b0UJdxYtx6CKqOp1oFfqH5HEq7Ns7g8aAUJ8b9utECFFmtiOsrLtr7tVOPxMNcltd0_yrnaQzgOI4lQ3pQHFesn2hJR95v2jgVBpdmo1yminiW7h5

 

“Today is a special day because we’re visiting Kyungsoo’s family!” Jongin sings into the camera in the back of a taxi cab. Kyungsoo’s shoulder is seen in the shot, but his face is off camera. “You excited, Soo?”

“I guess,” Kyungsoo says, face finally popping into the shot. “I haven’t met any of them yet though, so I'm scared it’s going to be… awkward.”

“Nah, they’re family. It’ll be fine,” Jongin assures him. “Oh, we’re here! Come on, come on, pay the man and let’s go!” Jongin bounces up and down.

“Why are you more excited to meet my family than I am?” Kyungsoo grumbles as he unfolds bills to pay the waiting taxi driver. Jongin files out of the taxi first, backpack slung over his shoulder.

An older woman and a young woman are waiting by the building, waving enthusiastically.

Aunt Yoona, Grandma Naeun,” Kyungsoo greets them, bowing. Jongin hurries to follow Kyungsoo’s actions.

“Kyungsoo! We’re so excited to have you for lunch!” Grandma Naeun greet. Jongin is lost as they speak in Korean, only picking up tidbits, but he smiles throughout it, nodding everytime they look at him.

Who is this handsome young man?” Aunt Yoona asks, grabbing Jongin’s arm. “I’ve seen him in many of the photos your mom sends.

Yes, we often make jokes that you two look like a couple in them.” Grandma Naeun and Aunt Yoona share chuckles as Jongin watches on, waiting for Kyungsoo to translate.

“What are they saying?” Jongin whispers. Kyungsoo isn’t looking at the camera, but there’s a flush that runs down to his neck.

“Nothing,” Kyungsoo grinds out. “Could you turn off the camera for this part?”

“But why--”

“Just do it,” Kyungsoo repeats, closing his eye and rubbing his temple. The screen turns to black, with a quick subtitle saying ‘I never found out what they said btw! But we spent the next few hours with his family, playing games and eating good food. Thanks again, Grandma Naeun and Auntie Yoona!

The next shot they’re on the streets, walking back to the airbnb.

“I am so full,” Jongin groans, rubbing his stomach. “I can tell good cooking runs in your family.”

“Seriously, that was some of the best food we’ve had here,” Kyungsoo agrees. “Sorry we couldn’t vlog much,” he says to the camera this time.

“Don’t apologize,” Jongin assures him, glancing at his best friend. “Besides, I’m glad I didn’t vlog it. It was nice to spend time with you and your family.”

“Cheesy,” Kyungsoo grumbles, moving away from the camera.

“I think they like me,” Jongin muses as they walk. “Right? I mean, you weren’t really the best translator, but with the little English they spoke and the little Korean I spoke, I think we really made a connection.”

“Yes, they liked you,” Kyungsoo agrees, rolling his eyes. “A bit too much, actually."

“What does that mean?!”

“Nothing.”

Jongin narrows his eyes, but doesn’t push it. Instead, he turns back to the camera and says, “We’re going hiking with them tomorrow! They’re taking us to, what was it? Buk- Bukansan?”

“Bukhansan National Park,” Kyungsoo corrects for him. “Yeah. I remember reading about it on one of our travel brochures. Looks nice.”

Jongin nods. “So we’re going to stop by a convenience store and grab water and snacks for tomorrow, then head back to the airbnb and finish our kdrama.”

Kyungsoo sighs. “Can you not tell them about that? It’s embarrassing we finished it so quickly.”

“Why?! We binge watched Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood in like two days that one time.”

“We were teenagers with nothing else to do-- ah nevermind! Come on, we’re here.” They arrive at the convenience store. Jongin films paying for the snacks, most of which Jongin picked out himself as Kyungsoo only grabbed a water bottle and a roll of sweet bread. The sun is setting as they walk back to their airbnb.

 

icPyuGSU97xoRYt3eQ-WS-IQLgWeMW7FM-kV7VkXuizKYH9Y0ezpjIJvZS3H0ggrgZ6kglC4MT0DCadwAQT5G0wpMVbScEXv8kgQvolk-fBQpdZFH1q4sgbDD7dlpfb40MZV6ZJJ

 

“Look at how much sunscreen he’s slathering on,” Jongin cackles as he zooms the camera onto Kyungsoo who is staring at the mirror, arms white with streaks of lotion. They’re in the airbnb, and the soft sunlight streaming in indicates it’s early morning.

“Come over here and put some on too,” Kyungsoo says over his shoulders.

“It's winter, I'll be fine. Besides, I'm too tan to sunburn." 

“That’s bull and you know it. The sun doesn't disappear in the winter. Now come over here.” The glare Kyungsoo throws at Jongin does its job, because with a groan, Jongin gets up from his position and walks over to the bathroom.

“Ugh, I hate how sunscreen feels,” Jongin whines as Kyungsoo begins slathering it on his face.

“Stay still before I get some in your mouth.” Kyungsoo’s eyebrow furrows as he concentrates on rubbing the lotion over him equally.

“O-Okay.” Jongin sounds breathless.

The next few seconds are awkwardly silent as Kyungsoo continues to spread sunscreen over Jongin, whose camera focus never leaves said man.

“Alright, you should be good to go,” Kyungsoo says with a final pat, before he squints at the camera. “Were you-- were you filming me this entire time?”

“Maybe.”

Kyungsoo groans before turning around and going back to getting ready. Jongin turns to film the mirror reflection, smiling as he watches his best friend brush through his hair.

“You’re cute.”

Kyungsoo freezes. “What?”

Jongin audibly gulps. “You look cute,” he repeats, turning to look at the camera and not Kyungsoo. “With your hair like that. Are you trying to impress your aunt?” Jongin teases, but his voice sounds tight.

“Ew, no, you were the one flirting with her last night,” Kyungsoo says, shoulders relaxing only the slightest.

“I was not! I wouldn’t do that!” Jongin protests immediately.

“Why? Are you saying my aunt isn’t pretty enough?” Now the smirk on Kyungsoo’s face shows he’s really teasing.

“What-- no, that’s obviously not-- ugh. You win this one.” Jongin sighs in defeat, walking over to pack their snacks into a backpack.

“They’ll be here to pick us up at 9, what time is it?” Kyungsoo asks.

“8:55. Wanna head down now?”

Kyungsoo rinses his hands, nodding. “Yeah. Let’s go.”

The next portion of the vlog is Kyungsoo and Jongin greeting Kyungsoo’s Aunt Yoona as well as two of his younger cousins they met the day before.

“Grandma Naeun didn’t want to come?” Jongin asks.

“No, she was too tired,” Yoona says with a smile, answering in accented English. “But I said I would take pictures.”

After footage of the car ride and some games, including a rendition of 'I Spy' that involved lots of switching between English and Korean, they arrive at Bukhansan National Park. Jongin tucks a hat over his hair as they step out of the car.

All tgether they find their way to the hiking trail. Despite the recent snow, it's a relatively clear and sunny day for the winter, and the park is crowded with tourists and locals alike.

“Are you doing okay?” Jongin asks, leaning over to Kyungsoo, who’s panting just ten minutes into the hike.

“Yeah, but I'm so sweaty in this jacket," Kyungsoo says, ping it.

"Take off your jacket then," Jongin suggests, holding his arms out to help out.

"No, then I'll be too cold," Kyungsoo sighs, stuffing his hands in his pocket. "It's fine, I'll manage."

"Are you sure?" Jongin asks, eyebrow raised. "You don't like sweating."

"Does anyone like sweating?" Kyungsoo replies, sarcastic. 

“I do!” Yoona says, bright and peppy as she leads the group. “Hey, Kyungsoo, Jongin is so caring. I’m sure Grandma would love a grandson like him.”

His cousins chuckle as Kyungsoo throws an exasperated look at his aunt. “Aunt Yoona, why?

“What, what is she saying?” Jongin asks, moving the camera in between the two as he follows the conversation. “I recognize the word ‘grandson’?”

“Nothing!” Kyungsoo answers quickly, pushing Jongin forward and away from them. “She’s just being silly.”

“I am not being silly!” Yoona protests.

The rest of the hike is mostly scenery and rest stops. When they reach the end of the trail, they gather together to take a group selfie. Afterwards, Yoona pushes Jongin and Kyungsoo together, saying she wants a photo of just them.

Aunt Yoona…

“What?! Is it bad to want a photo of two handsome young men?!”

“I hear the word ‘handsome’!” Jongin comments, eyes wide as he still waits for someone to translate.

After the photo is taken, they make their way down. Jongin offers Kyungsoo water more often, and Kyungsoo usually hands Jongin the bottle back, uncapped, expecting him to take a drink too.

They go for lunch together afterwards, from which the only footage shown is them grilling meat and cheering a shot of soju with Yoona, before they’re dropped off and say their goodbyes.

“We’re going to take a shower and then pack a little bit. I’ll explain why later!” Jongin says. The scene quickly shifts to Jongin with wet hair inside of the airbnb.

“I'm back! So, like I hinted at earlier, today is actually our last day in this airbnb!” Jongin announces as he collapses onto the bed. “We weren’t sure until yesterday, but we’re going to go visit my family now too in Suncheon. Did I say that right?” Jongin asks, glancing over at Kyungsoo.

“Yeah, but I mean it’s your family hometown. You probably know better than me.”

“Just wanted a confirmation,” Jongin hums. “But yeah, we got a confirmation from my mom and dad back home that they’re willing to take us in for our last few days! I’m excited because my uncle owns a puppy.”

“Typical,” Kyungsoo comments from the side.

“So we’re just going to pack and then walk around Seoul a bit more for our last day. Nothing too special.”

“We could go and see the nightlife. I heard the club scene here is pretty cool.”

Jongin makes a face of disinterest. “Nah, I’d rather stay in and start season two of Age of Youth.”

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Fine. Come help me pack for tomorrow.”

“My second mom is calling,” Jongin says with a dramatic sigh. “Talk to you guys later!” He leans an arm over to turn off the camera, and the screen turns dark.

 

oRjO5c8SvmlD7Dvrob08zNikSmoSZMTxzPfv8-HPKG0Iaevth5Ep1Njvj_Zs7lWfjxyrlWt8su611b8igLvMUPoCsbz53oCp0ahX4xxuNWjwS3K3E_dkekZjGP99RN1TztSawEcm

 

“AUNTIE, UNCLE!” Jongin rushing to an older man and woman, surrounded by children, comes into the frame. The viewer knows Kyungsoo is filming, because they can hear his polite greeting, followed by the camera moving up and down as Kyungsoo bows to greet them formally.

Jongin, you’ve grown to be so handsome,” his aunt greets him, patting his cheek. “And your friend, he’s so handsome too! Is there something in the water in California?

Kyungsoo chuckles. “No, no, Jongin is handsome, but I’m just average.

Nonsense! I’ve shown your pictures together to my auntie friends, and they all ask about both of you and if you have girlfriends. They want to marry their daughters off to you!”

On screen, Jongin is behind his aunt, having made his way there while Kyungsoo talked to the adults, playing with the children, picking them up and smothering them with kisses. “Look how much you’ve grown since the last time I saw you! Do you recognize me?” The kids squirm and laugh, unable to understand him but amused anyway, and the shyer ones who hide behind their uncles watch on in awe.

I see our nephew still doesn’t speak Korean,” Jongin’s uncle chuckles. “You should teach him. Your Korean is really good.”

Thank you.” The camera moves as Kyungsoo bows again. “I’ll try to teach Jongin more.”

You really are so polite,” Jongin’s aunt notes, nodding approvingly. “Jongin’s parents told us about you before you came. They only had good things to say.”

Ah, they are my second parents," Kyungsoo jokes, and the three of them chuckle.

This conversation is still happening off-screen, as viewers are instead treated to the sight of Jongin being tackled by multiple children at once, almost tumbling over. Then a puppy joins the mix, as one of the kids left temporarily to bring it over.

“Save me, Kyungsoo!” Jongin yelps as another kid latches onto his leg.

On camera, the viewer can hear Kyungsoo ask, “What’s for lunch?

“KYUNGSOOOOOOOO.” Jongin’s cries sound further and further away as Kyungsoo follows Jongin’s aunt and uncle into the house, only turning around once to zoom into Jongin’s pained expression and chuckle.

Over this shot, Jongin adds the subtitles, 'Why is my best friend so mean?!'

Footage of their meal follows, shots of the food itself and Jongin's family laughing as they talk to their guests. After the meal, the viewer can see Jongin and Kyungsoo playing with the puppy as the kids try to get Jongin's attention by jumping on him. 

"So Kyungsoo and my uncle went off to visit my uncle's shop, since he runs a music store," Jongin says, talking to the camera himself for the first time in this scene. "And I'm going with my aunt to the grocery store to help her take care of these rascals." He leans over and rubs the head of one of the kids, who runs off screaming. "Today we're probably just going to help around and see the town. Nothing too special. But I'll check in after dinner in case anything changes!" 

With that, the screen goes dark.

In the next clip, Kyungsoo and Jongin are walking down the streets of a residential area.

"We just finished dinner," Jongin greets. "And my aunt suggested we walk around the area while they get our beds set up in the living room, so here we are."

"It's a nice place," Kyungsoo notes, looking around the town. "Pretty calm. I like it more than Seoul, actually."

Jongin nods. "Yeah, we both like quieter places. We're homebodies."

Kyungsoo snorts, but doesn't disagree. "Did you tell them what we're doing tomorrow?"

"Oh, not yet!" Jongin says, eyes widening in excitement. "My family is taking us to see fireworks tomorrow, to celebrate New Years!"

"I actually wasn't sure if they celebrated our new years here," Kyungsoo admits.

"Why wouldn't they?"

"Because they have Lunar New Years too," Kyungsoo says, bumping shoulders with Jongin. "But fine, I admit it's a dumb question."

It's quiet as Jongin films their walk down the street, the only sound of their jackets brushing. Eventually Jongin hands the camera over to Kyungsoo, who takes it without question, and Jongin runs off to begin actually dancing in the streets.

"What are you doing?" Kyungsoo asks in between his laughter. "Can you believe this guy? He really started dancing out of nowhere!" Kyungsoo zooms into Jongin as he twirls and twirls and twirls, until the screen fades to dark.

 

1y6PmodogZKdG9gNvcmgl9_KePWpY30AuhFBxaTP3HDcuSEgz3Xs42Sa2xfN0laK1tt90PJMcsE63X84Kph9o0XdenNU0Kjwh5Xs8mS9jrP-B1c27xDhX_LdBjIu7jzeYgLHMugS

 

"Morning. We woke up to the smell of delicious food," Jongin greets the camera. He's in the bathroom, hair still tousled, and behind him the viewer can see Kyungsoo splashing water onto his face.

After Kyungsoo finishes drying his face, he turns to Jongin and says, "I'm going to go out and help your aunt in the kitchen." He pats Jongin on the shoulder as he leaves.

"He's such a up," Jongin snorts into the camera, but he's smiling as he sets the camera down to brush his teeth and wash his face next.

After, Jongin brings the camera over to the kitchen area, where everything is happening as the kids scream running around and the adults in the house try to set up breakfast. Jongin greets the guests they have, more family members visiting after they heard Jongin is in town.

In the chaos, Jongin turns off the camera. 

The scene returns some time in the afternoon, Jongin on the couch beside a tired-looking Kyungsoo.

"Well, I'm exhausted and it's not even 3," Jongin says, petting the puppy on his lap.

"I haven't taken a nap in years, but I think today is going to break my streak," Kyungsoo says, suppressing a yawn. 

"You should do it now then, before the kids come back from the park," Jongin says, nudging Kyungsoo. 

"Mm," Kyungsoo sighs, laying his arm over his eyes.

"Yeah, sorry for not vlogging today," Jongin says, returning to looking at the camera he's holding. "It was just a lot to handle, meeting all the guests and then helping my aunt and uncle with the kids. I wish this was more exciting for you guys, but we're having a lot of fun, even if we don't look like it right now."

Kyungsoo grunts in affirmation.

"Hey Kyungsoo?" Jongin asks, glancing over to his side.

"Hmm?" comes the sleepy reply.

"Thanks for helping out today with everything." Jongin's voice is softer than before, his gaze trained on Kyungsoo.

The older opens one eye to look at Jongin, startled, but not enough to wake up completely. "What are you talking about? Of course."

"I just wanted to make sure you knew I appreciated it," Jongin defends, but he's still smiling as he leans over and grabs a pillow to tuck under Kyungsoo's head. "You being here in general has been a lot of help."

"Mm, wake me up when you're done being cheesy," Kyungsoo mumbles, turning his body away from Jongin.

"Fine, fine, have a nice nap," Jongin says, patting Kyungsoo's leg before he gets up and walks away, shutting off the camera as he does.

The next scene is Jongin and Kyungsoo in the back of a crammed van, the children singing songs in the background as they drive, the night lights illuminating their faces every block or so.

"We're on our way to see the fireworks," Jongin says, shouting into the camera. "We're almost there." He flips the camera to show the roads, now filled with cars also on their way to the same destination.

In the background, Kyungsoo can be heard singing with the kids, smiling.

The camera captures everyone filing out of the car, Kyungsoo helping the kids and the rest of the family members. It's loud with chatter as they make their way through the crowd, Jongin using one hand to film and the other to hold hands with one of his cousins. Kyungsoo is also responsible for a few kids, holding onto them to make sure they don't run away.

"How's this spot?" Jongin's aunt asks, pulling out the mat from her bag to lay on the grass.

"Perfect," Kyungsoo replies with a smile. 

Jongin and Kyungsoo wander off some time before the fireworks begin, to grab hot snacks from the vendor nearby for everyone else. Kyungsoo orders for them, and they're not even halfway back to the mat when the kids rush forward and grab all the snacks from their hands.

"They must be hungry," Jongin notes, amused at their now empty hands.

"They just ate dinner," Kyungsoo replies, chuckling as he shakes his head. "Oh, I think the fireworks are beginning." The camera turns its focus from Kyungsoo to the distance, where the first firework goes off. 

"It's beautiful," Kyungsoo sighs, smiling before he turns to Jongin and says, "Happy New Year, Jongin."

It's quiet for a moment, before Jongin can be heard replying, "Happy New Year, Kyungsoo." 

Kyungsoo turns back to watch the fireworks, and Jongin flips the camera so it's facing both of them. 

"Hey Kyungsoo?" Jongin says, leaning over to level his face with Kyungsoo's. Kyungsoo leans back at first, surprised at the closeness, before he eventually returns to his original position, eyeing the camera warily.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

"For?" Kyungsoo asks, eyebrow raised. 

"You know." Jongin shrugs, standing up straighter. 

"What's wrong with you? You're sappier than usual," Kyungsoo notes, but when Jongin doesn't reply, he sighs and runs an arm around Jongin to pull him into a side hug. "Thanks to you too, I guess. This has been a great trip."

Jongin's smiles, before the camera turns around to capture the rest of the fireworks, signaling the beginning of the new year.

 

DOlFce_gBaw_KBp8xzuxcmSeAq5WFxo95GqhKzmLZZNMhB0HE33IxstulhLAIe4LRQsH3-aJxZRKQRFa2jabY5h0dthWiq5T-FNGzTJhu_j6p0VWIBz53r4G_t0JTH0l9zeRFxC1

 

The scene opens up with Jongin filming Kyungsoo as he folds the blankets on the floor. "We're packing up today," Jongin says from behind the camera, before he flips it back to him. His pout greets the viewers. "I'm so sad. I don't want to leave." He looks up to Kyungsoo. "Can we just move to Korea?"

"Don't ask me," Kyungsoo replies. "Ask your parents."

"You're practically my second mom, so..." Jongin dodges a pillow thrown at him. 

"Come on, I want to finish packing before the kids wake up, or they'll just throw everything around again," Kyungsoo says.

Jongin sighs dramatically. "Fine." He sets the camera down on the couch, facing Kyungsoo now, as he goes over to help Kyungsoo pack the rest of their clothing into their luggages. 

The video transitions into Kyungsoo and Jongin saying goodbye to the family, including the kids clinging to Jongin and not allowing him to say bye. 

"Come back some time!" Jongin's uncle says, patting Kyungsoo on the back, who bows for the umpteenth time.

"We'll try. Thank you again, for having us."

"It was our pleasure," Jongin's aunt reassures him with a smile. "Have a safe flight." She hugs Kyungsoo and Jongin one last time, as the bus arrives. Jongin's uncle helps them with their luggage, despite their protests, and with one final wave goodbye, they're off.

"We have a long ride ahead of us," Kyungsoo sighs, leaning back into the seat. "I want to sleep, but then I won't be able to on the flight."

"We could play games," Jongin offers.

"Nah, I'm tired of games," Kyungsoo laughs. "Hmm, what was your favorite part of the trip?” He tilts his head to look at Jongin.

"All of it," comes Jongin's immediate answer. 

"Why didn't I expect that?" Kyungsoo snorts, shaking his head.

"What about you?"

"I liked meeting our families," Kyungsoo answers. "It made this trip feel more familiar, if that makes sense. Like we're in a different country, but with family, it feels like home still."

Jongin smiles as he glances over at Kyungsoo. "I get you."

"Hmm. Favorite food?" Kyungsoo leans onto the center arm rest between the two of them so he's closer to Jongin and more in the frame of the camera.

"Stop, you can't ask me that after both of our families cooked for us," Jongin protests, shaking his head.

Kyungsoo chuckles. "Fair enough actually. Okay, you ask a question then."

Jongin taps his chin in thought. "What would you do different the next time we come back?"

"Hmm, good question," Kyungsoo compliments with a nod. "I dunno, I liked everything we did. I guess explore different areas instead, like I want to visit Jeju in the future. Your aunt was telling me about it."

"Yeah, I remember her showing you all those pictures," Jongin says with a nod. "It looked pretty. Maybe we can go there next time."

"Yeah. What about you?"

"I want to go to one of those wish-making temples," Jongin replies immediately, causing Kyungsoo to let out a laugh. 

"Wow, you really want to visit one," Kyungsoo says. "Why have I never heard about this obsession before?"

"It's recent, I found out about them when I was googling what to do here." Jongin shrugs. "Okay, your turn."

Kyungsoo grins. "What's your wish?"

"I already told you it's a secret, try again."

"Seriously, just tell me!"

"No, you'll find out when the video airs anyway," Jongin says, holding firm. 

"What do you mean? Why do I have to wait if you're going to tell me later?" Kyungsoo demands. "Come on, what's the point of being best friends if you're not gonna tell me this stuff?"

"Are you implying you're only my best friend to know my secrets first?"

"Yes."

"Rude," Jongin cries. "I have a question for you then: how did your Korean get so good? You were able to hold full-blown conversations with my family!"

"It's not that good," Kyungsoo says, shaking his head. "But I practiced with my mom on the phone. You could do the same."

"My mom makes fun of my accent when I talk to her in Korean," Jongin complains.

"That's because you don't try at all," Kyungsoo laughs. "I'll help you study if you really want to learn."

"I think I should, since the kids were starting to get frustrated with me not understanding them."

Kyungsoo nods, leaning back and resting his eyes.

"Hey, Jongin?"

"Hmm?"

"I'm glad we did this."

Jongin smiles, leaning over press a finger to the top of Kyungsoo's nose. "Now who's cheesy?"

Kyungsoo swats his hand away, crinkling his nose. "Shut up."

Jongin grins, leaning in and whispering, "I'm glad too."

It's quiet, as Kyungsoo doesn't answer, positioning himself away from Jongin, who turns the camera out to film the bus ride.

When they arrive at the airport, Jongin shakes Kyungsoo awake. They make their way through security after checking in their bag, until they arrive at their gate.

"This is it. We're going to be back home in a day," Kyungsoo says. He's holding the camera this time, zooming in on Jongin's face as he takes a seat.

"And then we're going to be back at school," Jongin points out, earning a groan from Kyungsoo.

"Don't remind me. We're going to have so many tests, and I didn't study at all."

"You're not supposed to, it's a vacation for a reason!" Jongin argues, and Kyungsoo just snorts and turns the camera around so it's filming both of them now. 

"Let's do this again," Kyungsoo says. "Maybe in the summer, when it's not snowing."

"I'm down if you're with me," Jongin replies, smiling. Kyungsoo raises an eyebrow, but Jongin only leans in so he's resting his head on Kyungsoo's shoulder.

"Are you tired?"

"No."

"Then get off, your head is heavy." There's no malice behind Kyungsoo's words.

"No, your shoulder is comfy and I'm staying here, even when we board the plane. I'll just have to crouch down as we walk--" Jongin yelps as Kyungsoo punches his thigh, but he still doesn't budge. Kyungsoo lets out a huff, realizing he won't win this one.

The scene ends with Jongin leaning into Kyungsoo at the airport. There's no audio, only a caption.

 

HBTbQO41xwIHi-zZJW0uxxvfZIQWIy_DKDJc6r4z7GznXoEcN7CXaQVZTEHbm-piCS45aAyNFS-cRIV8ymMs61XUjSWGfnQSEMQa9yOg50VsXCGuLl5kEVyyJetUjVDPw1uc0GSA

 

The footage transitions into the same setting as the beginning. Jongin smiles into the camera. "I hope this video summarizes all of my feelings towards the trip. I'm a bit worried, actually, about posting this." Jongin chuckles, rubbing the back of his neck. "But I have to, to do the trip justice. It wouldn't be fair if I kept this all to myself."

Jongin takes in a deep breath. "I guess that's the end of it. Thanks for watching, and Kyungsoo, if you're watching this..." Jongin pauses and looks down, biting his lower lip. "Well, I guess I don't have to say anything now. You'll let me know, right?" And with that, the video comes to an end, Jongin's hopeful smile the last image on the screen.

 


A/N: TRANSLATIONS
> if any are incorrect/awkward (like the quotes I used from google lol) keep in mind that Jongin is also not a native-speaker in this fic so. that’s pretty canon LOL he used websites like i did!! 

Day 1: 정말 잘생기셨어요. || You’re so handsome. (source)

Day 2: 당신은 나에게 무척 소중해요. || You mean so much to me. (source)

Day 3: 너랑 더 오래 같이 있고 싶어. || I would like to spend more time with you. (source)

Day 4: 나는 니꺼야. || I’m yours. (source)

Day 5:  나는 너를 친구 이상으로 생각해. || I think of you as more than a friend. (source)

Day 6:  제일 사랑한거 알지? || Do you know I love you the most? (source: my dear friend jq)

Day 7: 내 걸로 만듣는것이 바로 내 소원이야. || My wish is to make you mine. (source: my dear friend jq)

ENDING: 여기서 나와함께 있어줘서 고마워.  || Thank you for experiencing/staying/being with this with me here. (source: my dear friend fufu)