One

Saboten

I never thought that I have to give up on something. Someone.

I always think of myself as a strong-willed person. No matter how hard it is, I will always fight for something or someone I deem important in my life. But fate has another opinion.

I, Cha Hakyeon, have to give up my happiness for someone.

=================================================================

I know Wonshik for as long as I remember. He is my childhood friend and our house just two house away. We grew up together, went to the same schools, go to the same club as we love dancing. We live far away from each other when I have to study abroad, but that doesn’t stop us from being close. We phone each other often more than our parents. I tell him everything about my life in Japan, how about on the first day in university I befriend this cool and quiet-spoken guy with platinum hair and how since then we become a close friend. I tell him everything.

I thought Wonshik tell me everything too.

Apparently not.

He hides a lot. Intentionally or unintentionally.

I don’t know.

====================================================================

Now, one week after I finished my study and comeback to Korea, our parents tell us something that shock us.

They want us to marry each other.

For the most part, it shocks me in a good way because it’s still better than to marry some stranger and I like wonshik, but I still worry that Wonshik doesn’t feel good about this news. I can’t tell what’s going on in his mind when I look at his face. He looks shocked but that’s all. There’s no sign that he hates it.

Wonshik is a filial son so he won’t dare to deny his parent. He will do anything for his parent, his family, happiness. And when I mean everything is everything. He is a better son than me after all. My parent always says that how they wish to have such an obedient son like him, not a troublemaker like me. They are joking of course. I am more selfish and egoist that wonshik.

After some time Wonshik smile and said that he will talk it first with me. Work things about because it’s so sudden and he doesn’t want to make me uncomfortable or make things awkward between us.

Right.

I was happy. **

“Come, sit with me.”

Wonshik is a gentleman with a gentle smile on his face. His small lips curve into a pretty smile when he held out his hand to me, guide me to sit beside him on the patio of my home, our parents still talking in the living room. I heard my mom talk about matching outfits or something when I walk pass them from the bathroom.

“Why so gentle?” I smile as I take his hand and sit beside him and look at him before laughing. “I can’t believe that Dad was serious when he said that he will marry me off to you. It’s so weird. Marrying you.” Although my smile can’t hide how happy I am.

Wonshik look at me with smile still on his face. He reach out his hand and caresses my cheek with his thumb. I know I’m blushing. It’s not the first time Wonshik do this. He always shows affection to me even since we were young, but it feels different. Maybe because I know he will become my husband soon.

“Are you okay with it?” He said with his deep soft voice. I blink several times before I held his hand that still on my cheek. I smile. “Are you happy with their decision?’

Yes. It’s not a suggestion.

“I don’t mind.”

He sighs and smiles again but there’s something in his smile that I don’t like but I can’t point it out.

“Pretty Hakyeon.” He pulls me into his embrace. My head on his chest and I can hear his heartbeat. I wish I can wake up every morning to this steady and melodic sound. “Pretty and precious Hakyeon, could I make you happy?”

“Probably. You just have to try.”

I can feel Wonshik kiss the top of my head.

“I have to try hard then because you are pretty hard to please.”

“Ya! I’m not that difficult you know?”

Wonshik chuckles and tighten his hug and sigh again.

“Let’s get married and see if I can make you happy.”

I smile and can’t really hide my happiness. “You will.”

God, I’m in love with this man.

==========================