Chapter 3

The Sun Is Blue.

Chapter 3

I ran as fast as I can and finally managed to catch up to her. 

“Miss, excuse me!” I said as loud as I can. She stopped just as I managed to reach her. I crashed against her, our bodies colliding painfully to each other. Considering both of us were fairly skinny, having that kind of crash with our bony bodies was honestly not the best feeling in the world.

I groaned as I pulled myself up, rubbing my sore shoulder from the impact. I quickly made my way towards her as I saw her stand up as well while brushing the dirt away from her expensive dress. 

“Oh my gosh, I’m so sorry!” I rushed towards her, worriedly looking at her to see if she got injured. She shook her head with a smile.

“It’s okay, it’s my fault anyway for stopping out of the blue.” She said with a surprisingly adorable smile that shows off her gums and small teeth. Up close, she was more gorgeous than I could ever imagine. I spot a couple of moles on her pale face, the most noticeable one being on on the corner of her high bridged nose. It made her face seemed like the night sky with the constellations adorning it. I unconsciously bit my lip as I saw another one near her lips, just below
. I  quickly looked away, afraid that she caught me staring. 

But it was her that was staring, and her eyes held a mysterious force that drawn me to her.

“So what is it that you need?” She finally asked me.

“Uh, no. Actually,” I stuttered. “You forgot this and I figured, here.” I handed her handkerchief. And I figured I’ll grab this chance to talk to you because I think you’re super, duper pretty.

“Oh, thanks. I didn’t even noticed that I forgot it. This is important to me, thank you.” She said, taking the handkerchief and looking down and staring at it warmly. I saw her tongue dart out of to her lip. My eyes widened, how can someone so pretty do something so y yet elegant all at the same time? She then stared back at me again with that same freaking gummy smile that made me feel uncomfortably warm.

I nodded, feeling my face heat up. 

“Is there anything I can do for you? As a thank you gift or something.” She asked, moving closer to me. I caught a whiff of her vanilla perfume, the sweet scent lingering in the air. I unconsciously moved back. 

You see, the thing is, a normal response should be: Oh, no thanks. This is nothing; flash a smile and then leave. I did the unthinkable and prioritized my big, fat, mouth.

I looked down, biting my lower lip. I felt the cold sweat building from my forehead. 

“Then,” I gulped. “Can you give me your number?” I asked. Her eyes widened as I gasped at my own words. 

I moved back even more as I felt myself panicking. “I mean you don’t have to if you don’t want to!” I exclaimed. I bit my lip and turned slightly to the side, ready to walk away. “ I mean, I’m not being weird or anything. I just think you are cute and-” My words faltered when I realized what I just said. “I want to be your friend, that’s it.” I stepped back again. “Bye.” I finally turned, my face wincing. 

“Wait.” I heard her said softly.

I hesitantly turned and was surprised to see her so close to me. She probably moved closer when I turned without me noticing. Her eyes are dark and cold yet warm at the same time. She’s just too cute and I can smell the scent of intoxicating vanilla in the air. 

“I think you’re cute too.” She said with a sly smile. “Sure, I can give you my number. Give me your phone.” She said, smiling down at me. She’s a few inches taller than me and I have to look up slightly in order to meet her eyes. 

“Huh?” I uttered. 

“Your phone, give it to me.” She said. I let my hand wander from my backpocket only to freeze when I felt nothing. I could feel her stare on me as I rummaged through my bag. Nothing, I must have forgotten it!

I looked up sheepishly at her and smiled awkwardly. 

“I kind of forgot it. I’m sorry!” I said, looking down in embarrassment. Why is nothing right happening to me today?

I looked up when I heard her giggle. I saw her rummaging through her expensive bag and watched her take a memo from it. 

It was shaped like a penguin holding a scroll. I fought back a smile.

She used her palm as a makeshift table and scrawled through it with her pen before handing it to me. When I was about to get it, she took my hand, flipped it so that my hand is palm up then stick the memo on my palm. I felt tingles when I felt a warm sensation from her touch.

“Don’t forget to text me, okay? Or else I’ll get angry.” She said while smiling slightly at me. Her eyes stared at me with seriousness though. I nodded, biting my lip, still embarrassed from everything. 

I heard the bell rang and glanced at her. She looked behind her. 

“Thanks, uh.. For this. I’ll text you soon?” I said. She flashed me a grin. 

“Of course. See you soon.” My eyes widened when I saw her leaned in towards me as she gave my cheek a peck. She smiled at me again before walking away. My eyes wandered at her slender form, mesmerized with the way her flowy dress seemed to dance along with her dark hair. 

Suddenly, she turned again and I felt my face become warmer as I was caught ogling at her. 

“I almost forgot, what’s your name?” She asked. 

I smiled at her.

“I’m Son Chaeyoung. Nice to meet you.” I told her. 

She did a cute salute that made me feel like melting butter. “Nice to meet you, I’m Myoui Mina.” She stated.

“Myoui Mina?” I cleared out which made her nod and smile. 

“Anyway, we’re going to be late. What are you waiting for? Let’s run!” she said. 

“Mina.” I mumbled to myself before smiling up at her and hurrying to catch up to her. Yeah, right! I’m going to be late. I felt her hand touched mine briefly. 

“I’m going that way. You?” She asked while pointing at the left side of the hallway. I smiled, a bit disappointed. “This way.” I claimed, pointing at the opposite side. 

“Well, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow?” She asked. I nodded, grinning at her.

“Yep, see you tomorrow!” I said before making my way to my next class. I looked back at her and cannot help but smile as I saw her retreating back.

“She said, see you tomorrow!” I mumbled giddily to myself.

I entered the room just in time before the professor entered. I saw Jihyo waving at me which made me walk beside her. A slight sigh of relief passed my lips as I sat on the chair.

“You forgot this.” She said, handing me my phone. I grinned to myself and took it. I quickly held out my palm and looked at the scribbled numbers in it. From the corner of my eye, I saw our professor enter the room.

“What’s that?” She asked in a whisper as she stared at the memo. I shrugged, knowing how she’ll react if I tell her.

I ignored her as I took out my notebook and pasted the memo inside it. She struggled to look and then I heard laugh quietly.

“Don’t tell me..” She trailed off before she covered . I sighed as I finally faced her knowing she already knew what happened. 

“That’s her number, right?” She asked. I nodded sheepishly. 

“So how did you get it?” She asked, leaning down on the table in order to minimize the noise. I looked down, embarrassed about what happened a while ago.

“I asked for hers.” I mumbled. She covered again in order to stop herself from laughing.

“Really? Thank goodness, I thought you were a plant.” she said. I glared at her.

“What do you mean?” I complained.

“I mean I thought you won’t ever become attracted to anyone until you die. Like a plant.” She said. I frowned at her.

“I’m not attracted at her!” I denied, feeling my face heat up as I remembered Mina’s gummy smile. She smirked at me and tilted her head. 

“Are you sure?” She asked. 

“Of course! I mean, she’s a girl. As far as I know I never get attracted to women.” I said, taking my phone and typing the scribbled numbers in it. 

“And as far as you’re concerned you have also never been attracted to men before, right?” I looked up when I heard those words.

“Chaeng, look at me” She said. “You talked about the sun being blue all the time, right? I know you’re the type of person that never have any prejudice about people. Then, why are you suddenly talking like that? Is it because you don’t allow yourself in the first place to believe that the sun is blue?” She looked at me straight in the eyes.

“If you’re scared that you’ll be different, I suggest you stop with that. Don’t fight it back.” She pat my chest. “Just let it happen.” She said. She smiled at me before looking at the professor, obviously giving way for me to think on my own.

I bit my lip. Am I really attracted to Mina? I mean, I do admit that she’s attractive. But am I really attracted to her? 

I remembered the way her dark hair danced with the wind. Her eyes has the most intense expression. Her smile was so cute and her voice, I want to listen to it some more. 

Am I attracted to her? Me? 

I glanced at Jihyo as she continued listening to the professor. I know that Jihyo is attractive but I never felt attracted to her, right? I was never mesmerized by the way her hair swayed with the wind. Never been fascinated by the brown of her eyes, never seen her as anyone than a friend. 

“Jihyo,” I whispered. She looked at me, eyebrow raised.

“I think you might be right. I think I might actually be attracted to Mina.” I finally admitted. She smiled at me with a motherly glint.

“I’m proud of my daughter.” she teased. I glared at her playfully before finally laughing as well.

“So Mom, tell me what to text her.” I told her. 

“Thank her for giving her number to you no matter how hopeless you are when it comes to love.” I scrunch my face at that word. 

“Ugh, I hate that word.” I said, shivering with the thought of saying it. “But thanks. I’ll text her that. The thank you part.” I told her. I started typing. 

To: Penguin Mina

Hi, it’s me Chaeyoung. Thank you for giving me your number. 

I turned to Jihyo. “Don’t you think this seems too boring?” I asked her. 

She stared at my phone and frowned. “You’re right. How about asking her out tomorrow for lunch? She can join us since I noticed she was alone a while ago.” She suggested. 

I hummed and started typing, smiling slightly at her suggestion. 

To: Penguin Mina

Hi, it’s me, Chaeyoung. Thank you for giving me your number. I was wondering if you are willing to join me and my friends for lunch tomorrow? I would like to get to know you more. 

I showed her my message and she gave me a thumbs-up. I was about to hit send when Jihyo stopped me from doing so.

“Wait! Put some emoticons.” She said. I put a smiley face emoticon and a penguin one before hitting send. 

“Hope she’ll respond soon.” Jihyo said while smiling at me with the same motherly smile. I didn’t respond but inside my head I was thinking the same thing.

-------
She still hadn’t responded. 

Did I do something wrong? It’s already night time and- I glanced at my phone. Nothing.

Maybe I did something wrong? Maybe I should’ve sent her a different emoticon? This is so frustrating!

“I’m hungry.” I mumbled to myself as I took my phone, got up from my bed and started walking towards the kitchen. I live in a dorm inside the campus and I am actually rooming with Nayeon. She was the one who introduced me to Jihyo, Dahyun and Jeongyeon. The rest is history. She’s actually a pretty good roommate despite the occasional annoying loud music blasting and damaging my eardrums.

I made my way towards the kitchen and rummaged through it. I found an apple and a yogurt that is expired from yesterday. I sighed to myself. My parents will send me money after three more days. So now I’m stuck eating random stuff I see in the refrigerator.

“I want chicken.” I mumbled again to myself before sitting on the chair beside the kitchen table. I was mid-chew from the stale apple when I felt my phone vibrate from my hand. I quickly checked it only to groan in disappointment when it showed that it was just Dahyun spamming me with memes. 

I lazily made my way to the pantry and got a spoon before sighing to myself as I sat again on the chair. 

I ate the yogurt, realizing that it doesn’t taste bad, and put it back to the container to have another spoonful of it. 

My phone vibrated again and this time I took my time knowing it was just probably Dahyun. I peered at my screen and almost choked on my yogurt when I saw the name on it.

Penguin Mina sent you a message

I quickly unlocked my phone, feeling my heart beating abnormally fast.

From: Penguin Mina

Good, I won’t be angry at you then. Sounds good! I’ll come. See you at lunch period. 

She also sent me the same emoticons which made my smile widen. 

I typed a quick reply then shut my phone. I can’t wait to see her again tomorrow!