Abdominus?

More Precious than Rubies

Park Chanyeol had never ran this fast in his whole 41 years of life. Seeing the double doors leading to the emergency room, he hastened his steps and opened the doors with a loud 'bam!'

His usual tired face looked even more prominent at that moment, his unruly short black hair was even more disheveled, his jacket crumpled in many places, and his light brown backpack was ped. He looked right and left along the aisle of the waiting area until he found his best friend sitting stiffly at a bench, with two of his sons sitting beside him, the trio's faces full of worry and fear. Calming himself down first, he walked towards the three who were too anxious to notice his presence - that was until a book from his ped backpack finally fell down and got their attention. 

"Appa!" the youngest threw himself at Chanyeol who immediately reached out his hands to catch his twelve year old year son. Crouching down while patting his son's head, he could see traces of tears on his son's face. "What happened?," he inquired, looking up at Jongdae and his eldest son. 

"They said he suddenly fell at the kitchen, Yeol," Jongdae answered, an arm thrown over Kyungsoo who looked shaken, "When they brought him to the sofa Baek suddenly fainted. They're examining him now. It's been twenty minutes, I reckon." Chanyeol nodded and picked up his son to sit at his lap on the bench. 

"Did anything happen before that, kids?" he questioned, looking at Kyungsoo and Sehun alternately. Sehun shook his head while Kyungsoo, the ever calm family member of the Parks, tilted his head down, remembering the events happening earlier, and shook his head no, recounting that their daddy was cheerful as usual and even offered to cook them some chocolate cake for snack. "Did he look weird this morning, appa?" Kyungsoo questioned back, remembering that before the siblings woke up, their dad and appa had always woken up earlier, before Chanyeol had gone for work. "No," Chanyeol shook his head slowly, "he was just like as always.." 

The four of them fell into silence, and when Chanyeol saw that his youngest shed a tear again and his eldest looked like he wanted to cry too, he embraced them both, caressing their hair in a soothing manner. "Shh, it's okay, guys. Dad will be fine. It will all be okay..."

"Your appa's right, brats," Jongdae piped up, earning the family's attention, "your dad's a tough nut to crack. He'll probably come out the emergency room laughing like a maniac just like when he broke that leg of his in middle school." Both boys chuckled at the story that their uncle always tell them since always. Chanyeol shot Jongdae a grateful smile. He's really thankful that Jongdae was by their side, just like he had always been since both of them and Baekhyun had been mere elementary school students.

Jongdae was on his third 'how your appa made a fool of himself when courting your daddy in high school' story when a doctor got out from the emergency room, followed by a still unconscious Baekhyun wheeled on a hospital bed, an IV drip installed in his wrist. The four of them immediately shot up and approached the entourage. Seeing his husband's pale complexion for the first time that day, Chanyeol felt his heart sunk to his stomach, hand reaching out automatically to cradle the petite man's face.

"Relatives of Park Baekhyun?" the small doctor inquired, black warm eyes looking at each of them squarely. "Yes, we're his family," Jongdae quipped, "Is he okay, doc? Where are you taking him?"

The doctor made a relieved expression, "He's fine. We're moving him to the regular ward. You can come too. I'll explain his condition there." Not needing to be told twice, the four of them marched together with the doctor and nurses to the elevator, going up to the fifth floor and entering a ward. One of the four beds inside the ward was occupied by an elderly man covered in bandages who was sleeping. The nurses moved Baekhyun slowly to the bed across the elderly man's. Chanyeol, Kyungsoo, Sehun, and Jongdae watched silently from the side, not wanting to interfere with the hospital staff setting up medical devices around Baekhyun.

 When it was all done, the doctor instructed them to follow him. Chanyeol gave Baekhyun one last glance before grasping his youngest's hand and walked out, thumb rubbing circles on his son's hand to calm him. Jongdae did the same to Kyungsoo, hand rubbing circles on his back while ushering him to follow the doctor. They went down a floor by stairs and entered a room with the sign 'Dr. Kim Junmyeon' in it. When they entered, the doctor stepped behind the desk and sat, motioning to the chairs across the desk, "Please take a seat first." Chanyeol and Jongdae sat at the chairs, while Kyungsoo and Sehun stood behind them.

"My name is Kim Junmyeon," the small doctor held out his hand for a handshake, "I'm one of the doctors in charge of ER at this hospital." "Park Chanyeol, Baekhyun's husband," Chanyeol shook their hands, "and these are my sons, Kyungsoo and Sehun, and our friend Jongdae." Junmyeon nodded, taking out some paper and x-ray photos from an envelope he brought since he stepped out of the ER. He pushed a button, then a screen beside the desk lighted up. The doctor proceeded to set up the photos on the screen, then took out a note from his bag. 

"So," he started, other faces inside the room tensed, "first things first, I assure you that Mr. Park is fine. He is not in any immediate danger or the like, and his life is not fatally threatened in any way." Chanyeol and the others released a huge sigh. "However, after looking at the symptoms Mr. Park showed, the x-ray results, and the fact that he is currently forty one years old, I am 99 percent sure that Mr. Park Baekhyun suffered from viverra externus abdominis. This illness is not fatal, and-" the doctor cut himself short when he saw that all of his audience had a confused and frightened look on their faces. "I'm sorry, doctor," Kyungsoo whispered shyly, "what is this abdominus disease you talk about?"

Chuckling, the dark haired doctor reached for a pen and pointed at a spot at the x-ray photo. "This," he said, tracing a curve at the photo, "is an x-ray of Mr. Park's abdomen." "His belly," he added, seeing the puzzled look on the youngest son, "The pain he felt earlier, I believe, is caused by the swelling of the wall of his stomach. Specifically, his womb. This often happens to expecting males above 40 years old - which is the maximum age of normal male pregnancies. Since male body is less flexible than female's, male stomach become more rigid. So, if a male so happens to be pregnant after he's 40, sometimes his stomach will suffer cramps, pulls, and swellings because its working hard to expand, to make space for the baby." Chanyeol and the others blinked. "Viverra externus abdominis is the medical term for post pregnancy age abdomen pull, and this," he pulled out a small photo from a small envelope, "is the ultrasound picture, taken after Dr. Zhang Yixing, our obstetrician, checked on him earlier. The doctor gave them a bright smile.

The room fell into silence for a long time. Each and every person looked at the doctor like he just grew another head, making the doctor felt slightly uncomfortable. Then, one by one, they looked down at the ultrasound picture at the desk.

"Baek's pregnant?" Chanyeol finally muttered, eyes widening like saucers.