Prologue

More Precious than Rubies

Math.

Sehun hated math. Ever since his daddy first taught him how to multiply and subtract, he had known that he would hate the subject. True to his hunch, seven years later, as he sat down in the living room one sunny Saturday afternoon, doing his six grade mathematics homework with his fourteen years old elder brother, the only thing existing in his head was how to sabotage his teacher's car or something so she wouldn't be able to teach for the next weeks. He couldn't understand anything in his exercise. So what if Mr. Kim went to the doctor every five days and his neighbor every six days? Who cared on what date they would meet? Those men should just went and talked it out if they want to go to the doctor together so badly, he thought. Anyway, since his teacher and whoever was it who made the book were so bent on making him did the counting of those strange cases, his mind reeled back to formulating plans to sabotage his teacher's day at school. Exploring his own brain looking for intricate methods of sabotaging was more fun than-

Realizing what he was thinking, Sehun gasped loudly, earning him a look from his brother doing his own biology homework.

"Soo-hyung, your darkness is rubbing off to me! I just thought of killing my teacher's dog so she won't come to school!" he exclaimed accusingly, hands covering his mouth in mock horror.

Kyungsoo only snorted.

Just as he was about to dive into his musings of ways to cancel mathematics subject at schools, a loud crashing sound erupted from the direction of the kitchen. Both Sehun and Kyungsoo looked at each other in horror, then bolted out of their chairs and ran towards the kitchen.

"Dad?! What's wrong?!"

Sehun saw his brother's already wide eyes widen some more before following his line of sight and saw his daddy on his knees beside the sink, one hand clutching his stomach tightly and the other at the floor, breaking off his supposed to be fall, with spilled sauce and fallen bowls around him. Both siblings hurriedly rushed towards the petite male, dropping down to their knees to tend to their daddy. 

"Dad? Are you okay?" Kyungsoo, the ever responsible first born, quickly gathered their daddy in his arms. Leaning his daddy's head on his shoulder, Kyungsoo could see that the man was breathing heavily, and there was sweat forming on his forehead. His eyebrows were scrunched up in pain, and his closed eyes were twitching occasionally. A muffled groan and another heavy exhale brought out the two boys from their reverie. 

"Dad? Are you hurt? Where?" Sehun took his daddy's face in his hands. Finally opening his eyes, Baekhyun opened his mouth to speak, only to scream softly and clutch his stomach once again. The youngest panicked, "Is it your stomach? What should we do?!"

"Sehun! Calm down!" his brother called, "Help me get daddy to the sofa in living room first." Sehun quickly got to his feet and tried to get his dad to stand up. Seeing his sons' hard effort to make him stand and help him walk to the living room, Baekhyun exerted some of his energy to stand and throw his hands on each of his sons' shoulders. He wanted to say something so bad, wanted to ease his sons' anxiousness, but could not utter any single word as the only thing coming out from his mouth were more grunts. 

Both Kyungsoo and Sehun did a great job at guiding their dad out of the kitchen. Even though they had to stop every now and then to tighten their hold on their dad's arms and waist, with staggering steps they finally reached the living room. Baekhyun was feeling much better, and the cramps in his abdomen was decreasing. He exhaled a relieved sigh and pulled his arms. But before he managed to do just that, the honey brown haired man suddenly collapsed, startling both boys who immediately caught their dad in a desperate hug to not let him bump on the floor. With great difficulty, they finally managed to lay their father's unconscious body on the sofa. Sehun propped a small pillow underneath the adult's head as per his brother's instructions.

"Sehun," the said boy turned his head from his father, face laced with worry, "get Uncle Jongdae. I'll call appa to tell him about dad."

Sehun nodded vigorously. Before he stepped out of the house he could see his brother tapping his foot impatiently while clutching the phone on his ear tightly. With a last glance at his daddy's face, he rushed out and ran to the house next door. He frantically knocked on the green door, and only stopped when it suddenly opened, revealing a baby like beautiful face.

"Sehun? What's wrong?" the lady, Kim Seungwan, asked worriedly. 

"A- Auntie! Dad- Dad fainted!" Sehun screamed, both eyes watering slightly.

"Wha-" Wendy -  Seungwan's nickname - was taken aback. "DAE!" she shouted at the direction of somewhere inside the house. Not long after, a man about their daddy's height came out, his handsome face contorted in confusion. "What's wrong, babe? I just managed to bring Sooyeong to sleep. Don't waste my effort," he whined, and paused when he saw a teary eyed Sehun. 

"Go with Sehun, Dae. Bring him to the hospital or something. I'll take care of Sooyeong here," she explained frantically. Jongdae only tilted his head in confusion, then crouched down in front of his best friends' youngest son. "What's wrong, Sehun? Are you hurt anywhere?" 

"It's not me! It's dad! He fainted!" Sehun screamed again, the tears pooling in his eyes were finally raining down his face. There was only so much a twelve year old boy could take.

"Baekhyun?! Quick, let's go back to your house. Babe, I'll leave you for a while," Jongdae shouted both to Sehun and to his wife, taking the boy's hand in his while running to his best friends' house.

When they entered the house, Jongdae was greeted by a sight he had never expected in his whole life. Byun Baekhyun - well, he was a Park now - had always been a very strong  man. Even when he caught a cold back in the days, or even when he had been pregnant with Kyungsoo and Sehun, the petite man had never went down like at that moment, much less fainting. The man always pulled through any sickness he got, only muttering curse words here and there every time his condition started bothering him.

His best friends' eldest's voice then broke him out of his reverie, "I called appa. He said we should take dad to the hospital near school. He'll meet us there."

Jongdae threw his car key - the one he always take whenever and wherever he went - to Kyungsoo, "Start the car. Sehun, open the back door, please. We'll bring him by my car." Both boys immediately rushed outside, while Jongdae picked his best friend up bridal style. When Sehun saw his uncle and dad out of the house, he locked the door and got back to both adults' side. The siblings helped Jongdae laid their father at the backseat, and Sehun sat on one corner, making his lap as his father's temporary pillow. 

After making sure that Baekhyun and Sehun were propped up safely at the back, Jongdae went to the driver seat while Kyungsoo sat at the passenger seat. As Jongdae drove quickly, Sehun could only his daddy's head, silently praying that his cheerful daddy would be okay.