Chapter 36

Untouchable Face

Every day is an ordinary day until the unexpected happens. When the unexpected happens, that ordinary, average day ends up being something completely different. Normally those are the days you end up remembering. Those are the days that end up permanently etched in the back of your mind. She's lived through a couple of days which started out like any other but didn't end that way.

Today is just a normal day.

She woke up next to Sohee like she has done so many times over the last two years and she acted out her daily routine like every other day.

They went shopping together and had the usual date night they always have whenever they manage to find time to be together.

Everything about today has been ordinary.

Sometimes it's the most ordinary things that end up being the scariest.

There is nothing unusual about the day, nothing which makes Bomi think, even for a second, that today is going to be one of those days she'll never be able to forget. No matter how much she wants to.

That's the upsetting thing about change; you don't often see it coming.

Instead, it hits you when you least expect it.

In hindsight, she really should have seen it coming. Rather than ignore all the little things, she should have paid attention to them but she dismissed them simply because she never dreamed that they would escalate. They were only small changes; they didn't necessarily mean anything by themselves but unfortunately, added together, little things sometimes have a nasty tendency to evolve into bigger things.

If she looks back, it's apparent that things started to change in her relationship after their first semester at university; their phone calls became less frequent, at least on Sohee's part. Every time Bomi tried to arrange a time to visit Sohee at university, her girlfriend seemed to miraculously create a plethora of hoops which she needed to jump through before she found any time to see Bomi.

Even this morning, Bomi woke up on her side of the bed rather than wrapped around Sohee. Her normal sleeping position involves her sleeping behind Sohee, with her arm wrapped tightly around her waist.

Still, Bomi never thought anything of it.

She wasn't concerned when Sohee stopped lighting up whenever she saw her, nor did she worry when on the few occasions she did visit Sohee, the other girl always had to do some form of university work for the majority of their time together.

She didn't worry but she should have.

When one person loves the other more, that's going to cause complications further down the line.

When one person loves the other more, one person is always going to hurt that little bit more.

"I can't do this anymore."

Bomi removes her eyes from the television and brings them to her girlfriend. The comment has come from nowhere since neither woman has spoken since they started watching The Green Mile.

"You can't watch this anymore?"

"No," Sohee breathes out and Bomi reaches for the remote control, pausing the movie.

"Sorry, I didn't realise you weren't enjoying it. I know it's quite upsetting in parts but it is a fantastic movie."

Sohee's eyes flutter shut at Bomi's naivety. "I'm not talking about the movie Bomi. I'm talking about us."

Her chest tightens the second after those words leave Sohee's lips. It's only then she notices how far away Sohee is. At the beginning of the film, they had been snuggled together on Sohee's bed but now, her girlfriend couldn't be further away from her without actually falling off the bed.

When did she move away from her?

"Wha…what are you talking about?"

"The spark is gone."

"The spark is gone," Bomi repeats slowly. "What is that supposed to mean?"

Sohee sighs and runs her fingers through her hair. "What do you think it means? When I look at you, I don't have that feeling Bomi."

She scratches the back of her head because she doesn't actually know what else to do. "Has this epiphany only just happened?"

"No."

"No," Bomi repeats once more. "Where is this coming from then? Everything was fine ten minutes ago, for s sake, we had this morning and now you're telling me the spark has gone. How can things go from great to terrible in less than half a day?"

"Just because we've had recently doesn't mean everything is great Bomi." Sohee stands up with a heavy sigh. "Things haven't gone from great to terrible in that short a time. It's been longer than that. Things haven't been fine for a while now, we haven't been fine."

Bomi stands up furiously. "No, don't you dare do that. Don't imply I haven't been fine. Whatever is happening is on you, not me."

"I can't help the way I feel."

"So if things weren't great, what was this morning?"

Sohee pinches the bridge of her nose. "You have no idea how long I've been hoping I could have those feelings again. I wanted to have them again Bomi."

She tugs her bottom lip between her teeth and feels the tears b in her eyes. "I don't understand. Soh –"

"You and I, we've been on this cycle. We started off as friends, then we dated and you became the one person I loved more than anything but now," she trails off, her lips slowly. "Bomi, when I look at you, I see you as a friend. Nothing more. It's like we're fifteen all over again. I'm sorry but I don't feel that rush of excitement whenever I see you."

"It can't have just disappeared."

"That's what I'm trying to explain to you, it hasn't just disappeared. I think this has been gradually happening for a while now, I just didn't notice until one day I looked at you and…"

"You didn't feel anything," Bomi answers for her in a broken voice. "Just because a spark has gone doesn't mean it can't come back. I mean, all couples go through this. You can't just give up. You have to try and reignite the spark."

"It's not going to come back, no matter what we try," Sohee tells her quietly. "I think…I don't think we're going to work. I think we should break up."

Bomi's mood suddenly shifts from upset to angry and she scoffs harshly. "Do I not have a say in this?" She forces any tear which loiters in her eye away. She doesn't want to cry in front of Sohee. "You say we should break up and I'm just supposed to accept that?"

"Sometimes things are beyond your control."

Bomi grabs her bag and starts forcefully shoving her clothes into it.

"What are you doing?"

Bomi ignores the question and continues collecting her scattered items which lay across Sohee's dorm room. When she's satisfied she's collected everything, she throws the bag over her shoulder and walks towards the door.

Sohee steps in front of her, blocking her path. "What are you doing Bomi?"

"Oh I'm sorry, did you expect me to stay and watch the end of the movie with you like a ing happy couple?" Bomi spits ferociously and she actually causes Sohee to flinch. "Get out of my way now before I do something I regret."

"I'm supposed to be driving you to the station."

Her eyes close quickly before she opens them again, hurt and anger lacing them. "I'd rather walk." She slips past Sohee and opens the door, slamming it behind her once she's outside Sohee's dorm room. She exhales heavily before resting against the door and sliding down until she hits the ground.

She's not managed to go too far away but she doesn't care. She finally allows the tears to fall, burying her head in her hands as her body is wracked with sobs.

In hindsight, she thinks about all the things she could have done to remain in control. What if she'd tried harder in the relationship? What if she had noticed all those little things? What if she could have changed what happened?

Devastatingly, the thing about hindsight is that all you have to fall back on is what ifs and that doesn't really provide you with any comfort.


 

Tall, dark and handsome.

Those words have become somewhat synonymous with a description of an attractive male. The individual traits are easy to understand, tall is obvious to explain. Most women prefer to date men who are taller than them. Handsome is just as obvious, women generally prefer men who are good looking. Now, dark, that can be explained in a few ways, dark skin, dark hair or a dark personality.

She finds it interesting how there is nothing similar to that used to describe an attractive woman. There aren't three individual traits which when put together seemingly create a perfect woman. It makes Chorong question what is generally considered most attractive in a woman. Is it her hair colour, her eye colour, her height, her weight, the size of her s, the way she smiles or the way she presents herself?

Ever since Bomi first showed interest in her, Chorong has tried to pinpoint what it was about her that first caught Bomi's eyes. The first thing which caught her eye about Bomi had actually been her hair, as boring as that sounds. She has to admit she's curious whether Bomi has a type and if so, what is it and how does she fit into it?

She doesn't have a type when it comes to choosing a partner. When it comes to men, she doesn't necessarily prefer the whole tall, dark and handsome thing. When it comes to women, the same can be applied. It really doesn't matter how tall they are or how much they weigh. What a person looks like isn't the most important factor for Chorong when she chooses a partner because what really matters is having somebody you can just be yourself with. Somebody you can curl up with and enjoy their company.

Although it goes without saying that she does need to be attracted to the person.

Whenever she reads a novel, she creates her own image of the fictional characters based on the descriptions she's been given, as she imagines most people do. However, you don't need a description to conjure an image of somebody. Chorong's never seen Sohee in photographs and neither Eunji nor Bomi have ever actually described her so she's had no other option but to paint her own picture of Sohee using details she's created.

Now she's finally standing in front of Sohee, it's safe to say her imagination does not match reality.

For some reason she imagined Sohee to be blonde but she's not. Her dark brown locks are chopped haphazardly into a pixie cut which looks like she's done it herself yet somehow she manages to pull it off. She's certainly less clean cut than Chorong though but perhaps that's what attracted Bomi to her. Maybe Bomi likes a certain amount of rough in her partner. She expected Sohee to be tall like a model but instead, she's slightly smaller than Chorong.

The worst thing for Chorong is that Sohee is beautiful, even though it pains her to admit it.

However, no matter how visually stunning the woman is, it in no way excuses her earlier rudeness.

Sohee is definitely attractive but Chorong wouldn't look twice at her, there's just something about her that Chorong doesn't like. She finds herself wondering what it was about Sohee that Bomi first fell in love with.

Nobody's spoken for a good few minutes and even though Chorong feels a little bit like piggy in the middle, she doesn't dare move. She wants to know how Bomi is going to react but at the same time, she's worried. Judging by Bomi's face, she's too overwhelmed to do anything let alone speak.

"Long time no see Bomi."

Chorong turns her attention towards Sohee once she breaks the silence before darting back towards Bomi.

"I suppose five and a half years can be considered a long time yeah." The sarcasm drips through Bomi's words. "What are you doing here?"

"It's a long story." Sohee runs her fingers through her hair before glancing at Chorong. "A story I was hoping to tell you in private. I didn't realise we'd have an audience."

"I'm sorry me being here is an inconvenience for you," Chorong replies coolly. "However, I was here first and you cannot just drop in unannounced after years and expect to talk to Bomi."

"You're a little feisty aren't you?"

Chorong grits her teeth. "Wouldn't you like to know?"

Sohee leans her head back, impressed by the woman's answer.

Bomi pinches the bridge of her nose at the constant back and forth between her ex and Chorong. Not that she expected them to meet but she knew they wouldn't get along. In more ways than one, their personalities are too similar and that means they would only clash and cause friction.

Sohee's features soften. "If now isn't the right time, I can come back."

Bomi steps closer to Chorong. "Sohee, would you mind giving us some space please?"

"I guess I'll go the bathroom then. Some jackass of a cab driver splashed me on the way here, you wouldn't have a towel I could borrow would you Bomi?"

"There's some in the bathroom. Help yourself." Bomi throws the reply over her shoulder. Once Sohee is out of ear shot, Bomi grabs Chorong's hands. "Rong…why won't we stay for a while? And hear her out.”

"If I'm being honest, I'm not particularly overjoyed at the prospect of being in company of your ex-girlfriend. If you want to hear her out, perhaps it would be best if I leave." Chorong counters.

"I don't want you to leave."

"I'd just make things more uncomfortable."

Bomi rubs her temple. "I know that's like a recipe for how to overcomplicate a situation by talking with my ex-girlfriend while my current one is on the same room but I want you to trust me."

Chorong's eyes widen at Bomi's answer. From the look on Bomi's face, she doesn't realise what she's just said, she doesn't realise she's just classified what they are to each other. Chorong's stomach is doing somersaults and Bomi's oblivious.

"I am not worried. But I'll leave." Chorong releases Bomi's hands.

Bomi wraps her fingers around Chorong's wrist and tugs her closer. "Please stay."

Sohee appears from the bathroom to find the two women still animatedly talking. They stop the minute they see her. "You know what, I don't think I'm completely dry yet, I'll just…carry on."

Chorong waits until Sohee has vanished once more before speaking.

"Bomi, it's fine, I understand. You need answers, the closure you never got. But I can't bear witness to it. I'll wait for you around the park."

Bomi brushes a strand of Chorong's hair out of her eyes before leaning forward and brushing her lips against Chorong's. It's only a whisper of a kiss but no matter how slight, it sets Chorong's sense alight. Bomi cups her cheek before kissing the other woman once more. This kiss is more than a whisper and instinctively, Chorong presses her lips harder against Bomi's.

When they break apart, Chorong traces her finger across her lips. She sighs contentedly before opening the door. "You know how you said you're not the same person you used to be."

"Yeah."

"Don't let her change you back."

Bomi doesn't have a chance to tell her she won't as Chorong closes the door immediately. The sound of the door slamming causes Sohee to emerge from the bathroom for the second time and she rests against the wall, crossing her arms.

"Looks wise, I wouldn't have said she'd be your type. Personality wise, now that I can understand."

"Let's get one thing clear, if we're going to have a conversation, you are not allowed to talk about her. She is nothing to do with you. Are we clear?"

"Have I touched a nerve?"

Bomi shakes her head before resting her back against the door, as far away from Sohee as possible. "What are you doing here?"

"I see you still don't beat around the bush," Sohee points out. "I've always liked that about you."

"Just answer the question."

"I'm in Seoul for a week on business and I thought I'd pop in and say hello."

Bomi scoffs loudly. "You thought you'd pop in and say hello?" She repeats incredulously. "It has been years since you broke up with me. I haven't heard a single word from you since and you just thought you'd come and say hello."

"Last time I checked, saying hello to an ex-girlfriend and old friend isn't a crime."

"Maybe not but I know you and I know it's not the truth either."

"I have to admit," Sohee replies before ing her coat. "I thought you might be a little happier to see me. I mean I was looking forward to seeing you. Maybe I came at the wrong time." She shrugs her coat off her shoulders.

"Trust me; it wouldn't have mattered when you showed up." Bomi clenches her fists subconsciously. "Did you expect me to do cartwheels or something Sohee? The last time we met didn't exactly end on good terms. Can you blame me for being a little bit stand-offish?"

"No, I suppose not. You've always had a habit of putting up walls because it's easier for you. I knew you wouldn't run into my arms or anything corny like that. It's obvious this has the potential to be an uncomfortable reunion." Sohee finally steps away from the wall and walks towards the kitchen counter, sitting on one of the bar stools. "I don't remember you being a hostile person."

"I'm not."

"For what it's worth, I am sorry about what happened to us." Sohee crosses her legs, her eyes trained on Bomi. "You know, after we broke up, I almost called you so many times."

"Why didn't you?"

"Because no matter how much I was missing you and how compelled I felt to talk to you, to make sure you were okay, I knew breaking up had been the right thing to do but you didn't feel like that. You wouldn't have wanted to speak to me. Sometimes when people are hurt, leaving them alone is the best thing you can do."

Chorong's said the same thing to her. It would be best to just leave Eunji alone for the time being but that's easier said than done.

"I think if you leave people alone, you run the risk of making things worse."

"I suppose that's a chance you have to take."

Bomi walks towards Sohee and sits beside her, spinning her stool around. For the first time, she lets herself take in her ex-girlfriend's appearance. It's almost as if no time has passed because looking at Sohee, she's still that eighteen year old Bomi loved. Bomi's reminded of their time together, cuddling in bed, walking hand in hand, lazy Sunday mornings with one another and meeting each other's parents.

It's amazing how her two year relationship has now been minimalized into mere snapshots.

"You look the same as ever."

"So do you," Sohee counters before smirking. "Never knew you liked your hair blonde though. A rebellious thing to do."

Bomi runs her fingers through her hair. "What do you do for work?"

Sohee raises her eyebrow at the mundane question but answers it regardless. "I'm in advertising. That's why I'm here; I've got a meeting tomorrow with a potential new client. What do you do?"

"I'm in the newspaper industry."

"You've finally made it in the news business then." Sohee beams at her. "I'm proud of you Bomi."

"I'm only on the first rung of the ladder," Bomi corrects. "It's a start though."

Silence falls over the two women once more and it surprises Bomi it isn't actually too awkward.

"So, how long have you and Chorong been together?"

Bomi shakes her head. "I thought I told you not to mention her."

"Sorry, I di–"

"Hold on one second," Bomi interrupts rapidly. "How do you know her name? I didn't tell you she was called Chorong."

"This is a classic case of foot in mouth. I've always struggled with that, I need to learn to think before speaking."

"Sohee!"

"Oh yeah, how did I know she was called Chorong," Sohee mumbles quietly. "Well I will admit I'm not sitting in your apartment solely because I wanted to say hello."

"Then what do you want?"

"I had an extremely interesting conversation with an upset Eunji the other night."

"You still talk to Eunji?"

"Not really."

Bomi sighs through frustration. "How about you actually give me an explanation rather than more misleading statements?"

"Remember when we were dating, my granddad fell ill?" Bomi bobs her head. "Well he never completely recovered and he died a few months ago. Eunji called me because she wanted to offer her condolences. Her mom had heard from my mom, you know how much those two have always loved to talk. They could break records."

Bomi closes her eyes; Sohee's granddad was an amazing person. He was the only person in Sohee's family who ever actually liked Bomi. She has to admit, she's staggered Eunji never told her this. "I'm sorry, I didn't know."

"Thank you," Sohee replies gratefully. "That was the first time I've spoken to her since you and I started dating. It was brief and full of pleasantries, 'how are you', 'what do you do', you get the gist. We probably talked for about five minutes on a whole."

"How long ago was this?"

Sohee raises her eyebrow. "September. That was the first and last time we spoke. Then suddenly, completely out of the blue, she called me the other night."

"What exactly did she have to say?"

"Well she was crying and babbling incoherently so I couldn't actually understand about ninety per cent of what she was saying but I did manage to make out her relationship with a girl called Chorong was over and you were to blame."

"I'm still not caught up. Eunji called you and what? Did she ask you to come?"

"No, not necessarily anyway; she just kind of let the suggestion hang in the air. I don't know what's happened but it's obvious to me from that short conversation and mumbled words that she is still very much in love with this Chorong. I think she'll stoop to any lengths to get her back."

"I should have known she wouldn't let things lie."

"Would you? If you just lost the love of your life, would you just let things lie?"

Bomi raises her gaze to meet Sohee's. "I thought you were mine and I did with you."

Sohee's tongue darts out to her lips. "You know, I don't want to sound big-headed or arrogant but I half expected you to fight for me."

"I didn't see the point," Bomi explains. "You made it pretty clear you didn't want to be with me, why bother fighting for something that only one person wants?" She closes her eyes and can't help but think that's what Eunji should do.

Of course she knows it won't be easy, she had to stop herself several times from calling Sohee or giving into her urges and visiting her. She knows that's how Eunji is feeling now.

"Some people just don't want to give up."

"You do realise you're just a pawn in whatever game Eunji's playing. I hate to break it to you but you've had a wasted trip Sohee because if Eunji or you think anything is going to happen, you're wrong. I'm happy. I'm not going to do anything to that up."

Sohee's hand is suddenly on her thigh, just above her knee but it's nothing more than a friendly gesture.

"I have to be honest; I didn't just come here because Eunji wanted me to."

"No. You have business here too."

"I've missed you. I've missed having somebody to call when there's a spider in my bedroom." Bomi chuckles dryly. "I've missed how passionate you are about something you love. Eunji calling me just gave me the push I needed to come and see you."

Sohee's hand moves from Bomi's thigh to cup her cheek. "How is it possible that you haven't changed, Bomi?"

Bomi gently pushes the hand on her cheek away. "I have changed Sohee. If you think I'm going to let you come into my home and disrupt my life, my happiness, you can think again."

Sohee smiles genuinely. "I'm not trying to disrupt your life Bomi, far from it. Eunji doesn't realise how much you love Chorong does she?"

"I wouldn't know. She isn't exactly willing to talk to me. You've had a longer conversation with her than I am, why don't you tell me."

Sohee her head to the side. "I think she believes it's a fling that's going to run its course. I think she wanted me to come because she hoped if we saw each other again, we'd want each other back and that if I offered to kiss you, you wouldn't be able to resist."

"If you offered? I don't need your pity Sohee; I've done fine without you. I don't need you to do me any favours."

"At what point have I actually tried to kiss you Bomi? I'm dating somebody; I have been for three years. I've not been lying to you Bomi; I did want to see you. I have missed you. You went from being such a huge part of my life to being nothing."

"Whose fault is that?"

"My biggest regret is that we didn't remain friends," Sohee confesses through a low whisper. "When we broke up, I didn't want to lose you completely from my life. I hoped we could go back to being friends. I should have realised that wasn't going to happen."

Bomi closes her eyes slowly before voicing the one question that's been plaguing her mind for years. "Did you really break up with me because the spark had gone or was there some other reason?"

"Like what?"

"I don't know, did I do something?"

Sohee shakes her head slowly. "You were perfect Bomi; I just didn't love you anymore. I wish I did. When I realised I was no longer feeling the same way I used to, I started making excuses so we wouldn't have to see each other. I never did anything out of malice; I just needed to prepare myself. I wanted to give it time to see if I could fall back in love with you."

"Does Eunji know you're dating somebody?"

"No," Sohee tells her. "Why should she? We've only spoken twice. She only called me because she's lashing out. I think Eunji still believes she has a chance of winning Chorong back and that my appearance is only going to make that happen quicker."

"She's wrong."

"You know Eunji, she puts her whole heart into things. She's not just going to let Chorong go without a fight."

"Well if she wants a fight, I can give her that."

"I don't think that's how you should handle this Bomi; I think you and Eunji just need to have a civil conversation. Maybe then she'll see what I see."

"Which is what?"

"That you're utterly smitten with Chorong and from my brief encounter with her, she seems to feel the same way. It's nice to see you happy Bomi." Sohee smiles warmly. "How about we have a cup of coffee?"

"I'm sorry?"

"We could make it a cup of tea if you'd prefer. Although to be honest, I am in dire need of my morning caffeine. I am completely useless without it. Speaking of which, you'll have to apologise to Chorong for me."

Bomi frowns. "Why? What did you do?"

"I didn't make the best first impression; I was a bit rude to her."

"You what? Why?"

"Come on Bomi, you know I'm awful in the mornings, everybody is my enemy. Plus that cab driver really turned my mood sour." Sohee tilts her head to the side. "So should I switch on the kettle or would you rather I left?"

Bomi scratches a non-existent itch above her eyebrow.

"It's not that I'm kicking you out, but Chorong's waiting for me and I'd kept her waiting enough."


 

After leaving Bomi's, she wasn't sure entirely where to go. She didn't really want to go back to her apartment in case she bumped into Sana, or even worse Sana and Momo. Their relationship appears to have hit a sort of rut and as a result, they're now living vicariously through her. She doesn't really want to have to explain everything to them, even though they'll appreciate the gossip. She can't go to Namjoo and Hayoung's because they're finally heading off on their honeymoon later today after a week of acting as go-betweens for everybody.

Whereas Namjoo was content to stay and help her friends a little longer, Chorong could tell Hayoung just wanted to get away and forget everybody else's problems for a couple of weeks.

She wandered aimlessly before she found herself in a near park.

She's always found a distinct level of fascination in people watching. She has been known to sit in coffee shops for hours and just survey the crowds of people entering and exiting the shop. Right now she's sitting on a bench, watching a person sitting on a bench further in the park. The man is burying his head in his hands and she can't help but wonder what problems he's trying to escape.

She's been sitting here for less than ten minutes when she hears somebody sit down beside her. Normally she'd find this rather strange because it's unusual for somebody to sit directly beside a stranger, unless you have no respect whatsoever for personal boundaries. Most people habitually ensure there's space, the further away the better. When she looks up, she finds herself staring at a very familiar face.

"Eunji?"

"I would have asked if you minded but I think we're past formalities and politeness."

"I disagree; I doubt anybody is ever past being polite Eunji. Good manners cost nothing." In spite of herself, Eunji cracks a smile.

Eunji curls some of her hair behind her ear. "So why are you sitting on a park bench alone just after midday?"

"I wanted some fresh air. I thought it might help to clear my head. Why are you here?"

"I'm enjoying my last day of vacation," Eunji tells her. "We used to meet out whenever we both had a spare hour, I guess I haven't quite broken out of that routine. I'm just one person light now."

"I am still here for those spare hours," Chorong assures quietly. "As a friend of course."

"That's not what I want from you Chorong."

"It's all I can offer you though. Our relationship is over."

"I understand that Chorong, don't patronise me."

"I wasn't," Chorong defends. "If I'm being honest, I think our relationship was on the rocks even before I met Bomi. Just neither of us wanted to admit it."

"I don't believe that."

"Even if you don't believe it Eunji, you have to admit we became too content in our relationship."

"Since when is being content a bad thing?"

"It's not. Being comfortable in a relationship is all well and good but when that's all you are, it's no longer a good thing." Chorong rubs the back of her neck. "Our relationship lacked a certain something. Spontaneity, excitement, I don't know what but something was missing. The absence of that caused the spark we initially had when we first met to gradually dissipate."

"It dissipated for you."

Silence falls over the two women before Chorong clears . "Sohee's here." She's not entirely sure why she's just blurted that little nugget of information out but she truly believes Eunji should be aware her first love is back in the state. When Eunji doesn't so much as flinch, Chorong her head to the side in confusion. "I have to admit I thought you'd have more of a reaction than that. Bomi was flabbergasted whereas you look completely indifferent to the news. Are you not at all surprised?"

"I called her so I presumed she'd come."

"I'm sorry, you did what? What on earth would possess you to call up not only your first love but also Bomi's?"

"One thing you'll learn about Bomi is that she knows exactly which points to attack. It's one of her talents. I'd advise you not to argue with her because she certainly knows how to hurt a person. She forgets that I know how to hurt her too."

"You called Sohee because you wanted to hurt Bomi? Is this some sort of revenge Eunji?"

"Well you know what they say, an eye for an eye."

"That is not a good philosophy to follow," Chorong chastises. "An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind. Ghandi's words, not mine. Revenge often only makes things worse."

"Maybe that's true but it offers a significant amount of comfort."

"I know you Eunji; you're not a spiteful or vindictive person. You wouldn't say boo to a ghost."

"And where has that got me in life?" Eunji spits. "People just walk all over me. Clearly being me isn't working out too well; maybe it's about time I changed who I am."

"I like who you are."

"Not enough."

"Why did you call her Eunji?"

"Why did you do what you do?"

Chorong her lips, okay; she can indulge in a little quid pro quo. "We've discussed this, I couldn't help myself. Bomi, she just felt so inevitable to me that no matter how hard I tried to stay away, how much I wanted to, I couldn't. I fell in love with Bomi."

Eunji closes her eyes at the answer and for a second, Chorong doesn't think she's going to receive an answer to her question. "Do you know what the hardest thing for me is right now? It's not the fact you cheated and it isn't the fact that the person you slept with was Bomi although they certainly sting; it's the knowledge that you and her are happy. It's that Bomi can make you feel something I couldn't, she can make you happy. I thought it would help me cope if I knew others were hurt too." She brushes some hair out of her eyes. "Sohee had a family bereavement a few months ago so I called her to see how she was. Her number is still stored in my phone. The other day I was distressed and I needed to talk to somebody, anybody. I saw her number and I just…I pressed dial."

"Eunji, you are messing with people's feelings, this isn't fair."

"How about you and I don't sit here and discuss what's fair and what's not?"

"I suppose that is a little pot calling the kettle back on my part, I've not exactly been fair to you."

"I'm guessing since you're sitting here, Bomi chose Sohee over you. Am I right?" Chorong doesn't answer. "I'm not trying to hurt you," Eunji whispers, ducking her head nervously. "I have never wanted to hurt you."

"If you hurt Bomi, you are going to hurt me."

Eunji shakes her head. "I just want to show you that Bomi is not the right person for you. She is just going to wind up hurting you. I mean how long was it before she asked you to leave her and Sohee alone. Five minutes, less?"

"I know you hate the thought of us and you hate what happened but I can assure you that Bomi is the right person for me."

"I find that funny because a couple of months ago, I was the right person for you. You seem to pick and choose people at a whim."

"I thought you were but –" She trails off, unsure how to end that sentence without adding unnecessary hurt. "You know I wish you were. I wish things had never escalated the way they did. Everything would have been much simpler."

"No offence but what you wish for isn't really much help to me right now."

"You're angry, that's obvious and I know you probably hate both Bomi and I for what we've done but holding grudges is no way to live a life. You're never going to be happy if you insist on dwelling in the past."

"I am aware of that," Eunji shouts before whispering a hushed apology. "Don't you think I want to forget and move on? Do you think it's easy for me to just ignore how I feel about you? I can't just flip a switch and not love you anymore. It doesn't work like that. It's the same with Bomi and I hate it. If I could, trust me, I'd do it in a heartbeat because I don't want to feel like this anymore. I don't want to feel worthless."

"You are not worthless; please don't ever say that again."

"Do you know what the saddest thing is? Part of me still loves Bomi. Just like part of me is still in love with you. Those feelings aren't just going to disappear because you both hurt me."

"Bomi still loves you too," Chorong replies carefully, not wanting to anger Eunji. "I appreciate it's not easy to forget how you feel about somebody and obviously I don't expect you too. I just want you to say you'll try."

"Do you regret what happened?" Eunji asks meekly, afraid of the answer. "Even if it's only for a second, do you regret what you did?"

Chorong remains silent for several seconds before replying. "How I did it, yes," she tells her honestly. "But even if Bomi had never been in the picture, you and I would not have had a happy ending. We just weren't right for each other."

"And Bomi did the decent thing and helped you realise that."

"Eunji, I kissed her first," Chorong admits. "You want to blame Bomi but you have to blame me as well. You can't just place all the culpability on Bomi. I am so deeply sorry for what happened but you shouldn't have invited Sohee to come. Do you realise how much that's going to hurt Bomi?"

"Don't you think I know that?" Eunji whispers. "You know, when I woke up and realised who I'd called, what I'd done, I had a half a mind to call her back and tell her to ignore everything I said."

"Then why didn't you?"

"Because deep down, part of me still wanted Bomi to feel an ounce of how I'm feeling." She crosses her legs slowly. "I went to see you the other night; I wanted to talk to you. I was sat outside and I saw Bomi enter. I just saw a red mist. I was upset and livid Chorong. I'll admit calling Sohee was a mistake but like you, I can't take it back."

"Well whatever you hoped to achieve, you won't," Chorong informs her. "Bomi doesn't like Sohee anymore, she's in her past."

"That's the funny thing about the past Chorong; it has ways of resurfacing." She stands up rapidly and starts walking away from her but when Chorong calls after her, she stops and turns around.

"Did you call Sohee because you hoped Bomi would want her again?"

"Honestly, yes."

"Do you think she would?"

Chorong's voice is the picture of fragility. She could say yes and hurt Chorong that little bit more but like she said, she never wanted to hurt Chorong.

"You shouldn't be asking me, it turns out I don't know Bomi as well as I thought I did." She starts walking once more before pausing. Only this time she doesn't turn around. "Bomi was devastated when Sohee broke up with her. I don't think she wants to feel like that again."

"What does that mean?" Chorong asks. "Is that a yes or a no?"

"Bomi would be stupid to hurt you." Eunji swallows and fights back tears. "She's not stupid."

With that, she disappears into the distance.


 

Chorong takes a deep breath and tries to compose herself before knocking on the door. Bomi called her and said she could come back. Chorong replied rather too eagerly. She's unsure why but Eunji's statement about how Bomi isn't stupid gives Chorong hope for the first time that Eunji might be able to move on and perhaps forgive both her and Bomi.

Eunji may have provided her with added reassurance but she already knows Bomi wouldn't jeopardise what they have over Sohee, the girl who broke her heart.

She knows that.

It still doesn't stop her feeling a tad sick.

Bomi opens the door seconds after the knock and offers a silent invitation for her to come inside.

Chorong steps inside and closes the door behind her. She scans the apartment, checking to see whether Sohee is here or not.

"She's gone, don't worry," Bomi tells her, answering Chorong's unasked question.

"When did she leave?"

Bomi shrugs slowly. "Just before I called you."

"I'm sorry, I swore I wasn't going to mention this but you dated that woman? I'm having difficulty even imagining you dating her, let alone being head over heels in love with her." Chorong removes her jacket and places it on the back of the couch. "What did you and Eunji see in her?"

"I can't speak for Eunji."

"Well what did you see in her?"

Bomi shrugs. "I can't really put it into words but she was the first person who made me want a relationship. When I was with her, everything just seemed to fall into place and it felt right."

"Has she always been that rude?"

"She has a y side to her but it only normally comes out three times. When you're arguing with her, when she's drunk, or in the morning before she's had a dose of coffee," Bomi explains. "She did tell me to apologise for her behaviour. She's not as bad as you think."

Chorong rolls her eyes. "I suppose I'll have to take your word for that since we won't be seeing her again. What exactly did she have to say? Did she upset you?"

"No," Bomi breathes out.

"Are you okay?"

"Eunji called her. That's why she's here."

"I know, I bumped into her earlier and she explained everything to me."

"What did she hope to achieve? Did she expect me to cheat on you?" Bomi asks incredulously.

"She wanted to hurt you," Chorong clarifies.

"I had no idea she could be so incredibly vindictive."

Chorong tilts her head to the side. "If it makes you feel better, she regrets calling her."

Bomi scoffs. "That doesn't really mean anything to me right now."

"Eunji's just lashing out Bomi."

"Why are you defending her Chorong?" Bomi spits. "I know we hurt her but that doesn't mean she has the right to dredge up the past and it certainly doesn't mean she can throw Sohee back into the mix. She knows how much that will affect me."

"That's why she called Sohee," Chorong tells her, undeterred by Bomi's slight anger. "She knew it would hurt you," Chorong repeats.

"Hurt me? It's angered me more than anything else," Bomi explains quickly. "You know I'm not even mad at Sohee, I'm mad at Eunji. I'm furious. She knows that I would have given up everything if Sohee wanted me back, she's always known that."

Chorong blanches. "You'd give up everything?"

Bomi either ignores the question or doesn't hear it. "Do you know how long I've imagined Sohee coming back into my life?" Bomi sighs lightly.

Chorong swallows nervously.

"She said she missed me."

Chorong blinks quickly, processing that announcement. Her stomach flips uncomfortably. "She said she missed you?"

"But she coming here today, it didn't achieve what Eunji wanted. It actually gave me some closure. Part of me has been living in the past with regards to Sohee. I've never fully let her go if that makes sense."

"And you have now?"

Bomi nods. "I'm grateful for her coming today, actually."

"Why?"

"Rather than cause problems between you and I, her appearance merely solidified what I already know." Bomi cups Chorong's cheek and grins widely. "You are all I want Park Chorong."