Chapter 15

Untouchable Face

Hello guys! This chapter is the formal introduction to Bona (for now on Naeun will be an established character from Bomi's side) and of some of the 93's line past but it quickly got out of hand and turned out to be huge. For it to not be so tiring for you, I decided to split it into two, so there's a break for you to rest :)

Also, I'm aware of the extremely slow pace of this story which can be exasperating, but otherwise it feels forced to me and if the characters just rushed the events in this story, it would be out of character and it would lose the faint grip of reality the story possesses. I'm sorry for that and I want to seize this opportunity to thank you all for the immense amount of support you have thrown this way, you are the best and I'm thankful for each one of you. Thank you.

 

She's never really been somebody who believed in fate or destiny. In a way, she believes in karma since doing good things and in turn, believing that good things will happen to you is a nice thing to believe in. She's always believed that life is what you make it, not a set of pre-determined decisions. You choose what to do with your life. There isn't a set path your life has to take, a path that you can't deviant from.

Movies like to use the premise of fate or destiny because it what the viewers crave, they crave that happy ending. People enjoy the thought that two people can be destined to be together, soul mates in other words, and no matter what happens, no matter how many people intervene, they'll always end up together.

She may not believe in the concepts but she does enjoy the cliché happy ending.

However, finding out that her girlfriend had been on her way to meet Bomi has thrown Chorong's beliefs into a loop.

Their story seems to have too many coincidences.

The probability of her one-night stand turning out to be her girlfriend's best friend was incredibly slim. Never in a million years would she have expected that to happen.

Yet it did.

Her mind constantly wanders back to that day in Yeouido Park and how she had been captivated by a woman reading on a bench and now she can't stop wondering whether that was Bomi. Eunji never said where in Yeouido Park she had planned to meet Bomi so it could have been her.

Then again, Yeouido Park is one of the busiest parks in Seoul so it could have just as easily not been her.

She's not a gambling woman but due to the previous coincidences that have occurred, she would actually be willing to bet it had been Bomi.

If she hadn't slipped on the ice, she could have potentially met Bomi almost a year ago.

The thought alone creates a plethora of questions, would they be a couple? Would Chorong have still fallen in love with Eunji instead? Would Bomi have been ready to start a relationship?

The questions continue to stack up and with each one; Chorong finds the potential answer more and more frightening.

Chorong sends a small smile in her girlfriend's direction as Eunji places a mug of coffee in front of her before sitting down opposite her and eating a slice of toast.

"Are you sure you don't want something to eat?"

"I'm not very hungry," Chorong tells her and the answer appeases Eunji.

The first time Chorong ever stayed over at Eunji's apartment, she had been woken up with a very poor breakfast in bed. Her girlfriend had appeared flustered as she presented the breakfast which consisted of cold coffee and burnt toast but Chorong ate the toast and drank the coffee. The mistakes didn't matter to her. The only thing that mattered was that her girlfriend had made the effort to give her breakfast in bed.

Even if it didn't taste very nice, Chorong appreciated the romantic gesture.

Since that day, her breakfasts' have become increasingly tastier but in parallel, the frequency of breakfast in bed has diminished.

The simplicity of everything right now is comforting. Eunji is happily munching away on her toast whilst Chorong sits cross-legged, her eyes haphazardly scanning the news on her phone. Neither woman feels the need to speak; they're comfortable in the silence.

She wraps her hands around the mug of coffee, revelling in the warmth that seeps through.

She had hoped that after telling Bomi in no uncertain terms nothing would happen again and to forget about the kiss, that she would be able to do just that and she had made a feeble attempt at managing it. However, finding out that Bomi had been in Yeouido Park the day she met Eunji has brought the blonde right back to the forefront of her mind.

When Eunji had kissed her good morning, the only thing Chorong could think of was how she couldn't detect the flavour of raspberries.

She blows absent-mindedly on her cup of coffee. "What are you doing today?"

Eunji brushes some of hair out of her eyes before swallowing her mouthful. "Bomi's niece, Jinsol, is seven today so she's having a birthday party."

She already knew Bomi's niece was called Jinsol but Eunji doesn't know that. Eunji is completely unaware that she has spent time with the young brunette. Even though she didn't do anything wrong the day she met Jinsol, she still chose to keep it a secret from Eunji.

Somehow everything she does with Bomi feels like it needs be a secret rendezvous as a result of how they met.

"Right."

Eunji looks up at her girlfriend. "I did tell you about it the other day."

Chorong tries to think back over their conversations the last couple of days but her mind is drawing a blank. "I guess I forgot."

"Are you still coming?"

"I didn't realise I was supposed to."

Eunji sighs lightly. "We had a conversation about this the other day, I asked you to come with me and you said you would. Have you forgotten everything about our conversation?"

She flinches before answering. "I'm sorry."

"Well, are you still coming?"

Chorong takes a sip of her coffee before answering. "Who's going?"

Eunji shrugs her shoulders. "I'm not completely sure. I mean obviously Bomi will be there, presumably Namjoo and Hayoung will be there and I'm sure there's always a possibility that Naeun may be there."

Her head whips up at the name. She can remember Namjoo talking about a Naeun at dinner the other month but why would she be at a seven year old's birthday party. It must be a different woman. "Naeun?"

The auburn-haired woman bobs her head. "One of the dance teachers at Namjoo's studio, she mentioned her a couple of months ago when she was trying to set Bomi up."

Maybe it's not a different woman.

"I remember who she is; I just don't really understand why she would be at Bomi's niece's birthday party."

Eunji eats the remaining bit of her toast before placing taking a sip of her coffee. "Bomi's going on a date with her after the party. She's probably not going to be there but she might turn up at some point to start their date early."

She remains stoic and ignores the jealously bubbling in her stomach. Instead, she takes a sip of her coffee and brings her gaze back to the phone. As she scans the words in front of her, she attempts to act as nonchalant as possible.

"They're going on a date?"

Eunji nods her head. "It's about time she started dating again, she hasn't had a relationship since Sohee," her girlfriend explains before carrying her plate over to the sink. "I've always said it would be good for her to start dating properly again."

Chorong fiddles with her fingers with a quirked eyebrow. "Who's Sohee?"

"Bomi's first girlfriend," Eunji replies before pointing at the mug in front of Chorong. "Are you done?" Chorong looks at her cup of coffee before shaking her head. "She was the most popular girl in school, everybody wanted to be with her, both boys and girls, she was the epitome of a high-school cliché."

"Sounds like you liked her."

Eunji bites down on her bottom lip. "I did."

Chorong furrows her eyebrows. "But I thought you said she was Bomi's girlfriend."

"She was but she also was my first love. During middle school and freshman year of high school, I had a crush on Sohee but I kept the secret to myself."

Eunji stands from her seat and heads over to the sink, pouring water into the bowl so that she can wash her plate from breakfast. Chorong knows it's a nervous habit for Eunji, when she's nervous, she needs to be busy. Clearly talking about this must be bringing back memories of her first love and that she guesses that's difficult.

Especially if the memories are stained with heartbreak.

"My heart broke when Sohee and Bomi started dating. She was in love with Bomi. Sohee only saw me as her dear friend."

"Eunj–"

"Deep down I was mad at myself for keeping it quiet. I never stood a chance because I never even tried. I lost my opportunity to my best friend," Eunji tells her. "But I never took my anger out on Sohee or myself; instead I directed it towards Bomi. In hindsight, I should have said something to Bomi about my feelings. I never said anything. But she at no time told me about her feelings for Sohee either and I never noticed. It was unexpected for me too. I didn't have a right to be angry and upset but I was. Once I find out, I said I didn't want to speak to Bomi and ended our friendship. We didn't speak for all of senior year. Bomi had no idea why I stopped talking to her and I confessed the reason so much time after. "

"I never knew that," Chorong whispers. "What made you talk again?"

"Sohee eventually ended up breaking Bomi's heart and I couldn't stand to see her heartbroken."

"How?"

"Come again?"

"How did Sohee break Bomi's heart?"

She had asked Bomi the question before but never received an answer and she has to admit she's curious. It's evident that Bomi's heart break is the reason she doesn't settle down and chooses to sleep with attached women so Chorong can't help but want to know what happened.

"Bomi told me that they agreed to break up because their relationship wasn't working anymore but I've never believed her. After the break-up she became incredibly reserved. Even her parents couldn't break her out of the state she became trapped in. I find it hard to believe that if it had been mutual, Bomi would have been as upset as she was."

"Why have you never asked her to tell you the truth?"

Eunji dries her hand with a dish cloth. "We all have things we don't talk about, things we prefer to keep to ourselves," Eunji explains and Chorong knows how true that statement is. "Bomi obviously doesn't want people to know the truth; I'm not going to push her on it. If she wants to tell me, eventually she will."

"Are you not curious?"

Her girlfriend shrugs. "At the time I was but it was ages ago, honey. We were kids and completely clueless about love, unaware of each other's feelings. Why are you so curious anyway?"

Chorong flinches suddenly. "I'm just making conversation."

Eunji doesn't question it anymore but her bottom lip is tugged between her teeth, a tell-tale sign that she has something on her mind.

Something she wants to talk about.

"The last thing I want to do is sound like a broken record but –"

"But?"

"Are you okay? I know at New Year you said you were having a difficult time because of your mom and that was perfectly understandable but I can't help but feel like you're still being weird with me. If I've done something to annoy you or something, you can tell me."

"You haven't done anything."

"But there is something wrong?"

"No."

Eunji throws the dishcloth next to the sink and crosses her arms. She and Chorong have only fought a couple of times in their relationship, mainly they've consisted of small snipes here and there but the night of Crystal's birthday, they had their first real argument.

Chorong had walked away from her for the first time in their relationship and ever since then, although they haven't argued, Eunji's not been able to shift this niggling feeling of doubt in the pit of her stomach that something isn't right.

"Then why can't you look at me?"

Chorong whips her head up to purposely look at her girlfriend. "I am looking at you and I'm telling you once more that nothing is wrong. Stop asking me that question."

"Maybe I will when you start giving me a proper answer."

"I have given you a proper answer, what do you want me to say?"

Eunji shrugs her shoulders and walks towards her girlfriend. "How about the truth?"

"I am telling you the truth."

Eunji bites down on her bottom lip, contemplating whether she should ask the question that's running through her mind. The morning after their argument, Eunji had asked Chorong where she went and Chorong had said Namjoo's but Eunji isn't sure if Chorong had lied.

"Where did you go on your mom's birthday?" Eunji asks. "After our argument."

Chorong furrows her brows. One minute they were having a conversation about Eunji's past and now Eunji's interrogating her. "Namjoo's, I told you."

Yet another lie she's sent her girlfriend's way. The sad part is, it's only one of many.

"Nowhere else?"

"What are you getting at?"

Eunji stares at her for several more seconds before shaking her head. "Nothing, ignore me, talking about Sohee has…just ignore me."

Chorong nods meekly and brushes some of her hair out of her eye, stilling nervously as Eunji's tilts her head to the side and frowns.

"What's wrong?"

"That's the charm bracelet you lost," Eunji replies, stepping forward and gently grasping Chorong's right wrist.

"Yeah," Chorong replies quietly. "It is."

"Where did you find it?"

Chorong swallows nervously; she can't say her apartment because Eunji had helped search the place from top to bottom, leaving no stone unturned so Eunji knows full well it wasn't there. She most certainly cannot say Bomi gave it to her after she lost it in her apartment because that would only lead to more questions, questions Chorong isn't prepared to answer.

"Namjoo gave it to me," Chorong states quickly. "It turns out I left it there when I turned up unannounced and the clasp broke so I didn't even realise I'd lost it. She fixed the clasp as well because she knows how much it means to me."

She allows her eyes to flutter shut as she realises she might need to ask Namjoo to lie for her as a result of her incessant lying. Once her eyes are open again, she doesn't even need to look at her girlfriend to know that Eunji doesn't buy her excuse, or at least has her doubts. "Namjoo's such a lovely person."

"Yeah, she is."

She waits silently for Eunji to speak again but the other woman simply stares at the bracelet, her finger coming to rest on the charm Bomi bought. "That's new. Did Namjoo buy you that too?"

"No, I bought it the other day. I realised that none of the charms were anything I'd bought myself so I wanted to change that," Chorong says with a roll of her eyes. The lies just keep building up. "Do you like it?"

Eunji continues to stare at the bracelet for several seconds longer and gives a slight nod of her head before blinking her attention away and running her fingers through her hair. Her face has somewhat relaxed and Chorong knows the questions are over.

"We should probably get going otherwise we're going to be late," she tells Chorong before pausing. "You are still coming right?" Chorong bobs her head quickly and relaxes herself when Eunji sends a small smile in her direction. "Great," Eunji says before brushing past her girlfriend in the direction of her bedroom.


 

She smiles somewhat awkwardly as she opens the door a little wider allowing Eunji and Chorong to enter.

"Hey Bomi-ah, sorry we're a little late."

"Don't worry about it Meungji. You've not missed the cake so really you've not missed anything," Bomi tells her before glancing briefly at Chorong. "Hello."

Chorong smiles shyly. "Hi."

"Where is the birthday girl?" Eunji asks as Bomi closes the door behind them.

"She's playing in the living room with her friends, apparently my mom started an amazing game of musical statues and all the children are riveted."

Eunji holds her present in the air. "Is there somewhere to leave the presents or –"

"I'll take it," Bomi offers, taking the present out of Eunji's hand. "Hayoung and Namjoo are in the garden, too many children for Hayoung's liking and far too much screaming."

"I'm surprised Namjoo's not playing with the kids," Chorong chimes in causing both women to look at her. "She's always been great with kids and musical statues does involve a small level of dancing."

Bomi smiles. "She played the first round."

Chorong nods her head with a smile.

"Auntie Eunji!" Jinsol shouts as she runs towards the auburn-haired woman from the living room. She's wearing a brand new dress her mom had bought her for her birthday and every time she's eaten so far, Bomi has noticed how much care she's taken so as not to spill anything on it. "You came."

Eunji kneels down to hug the young brunette. "Wouldn't miss your birthday for the world." When she breaks the embrace, she holds her hand out and she and Jinsol start performing their secret handshake. It's something that developed a couple of years ago and even though Bomi has asked, they've never told her how to do it.

It's their special bond.

Eunji has always been like a second sister to Sunmi so she's been as much a part of Jinsol's life as Bomi.

Jinsol grins widely. "Hello Chorong."

Chorong waves shyly as Eunji stands up beside her. "Hi Jinsol, happy birthday."

Before the brunette can say anything else, Jinsol has wrapped her arms around Chorong's waist in order to give her a quick hug. "Did you get me a present?" She questions as she takes a step back.

"JinJin," Bomi admonishes briefly. "Don't be rude."

"Bomi's holding it," Chorong replies before pointing to Eunji. "It's from both of us."

Jinsol turns around to face her auntie, a pout already gracing her lips but Bomi simply shakes her head. "You know the rules, you have to open them altogether later on," Bomi replies. It's Sunmi's rule, Bomi would willingly give Jinsol the present right now if it wasn't for her sister. "I bet your friends are missing the birthday girl."

Jinsol nods, somewhat dejectedly before the sound of Sunghee's voice flows through the house saying another round of musical statues is starting and a smile soon graces the child's face before she dashes towards the living room.

"I didn't realise you knew Jinsol," Eunji says.

Bomi's eyes widen as she realises Chorong mustn't have told Eunji about the day she, Chorong and Jinsol spent together before Christmas, the day they almost kissed underneath the mistletoe.

"Jinsol and I bumped into Chorong when we were Christmas shopping," Bomi explains before Chorong has a chance to speak. "We went to grab a bite to eat and when Chorong said she liked Jinsol's sweater, Jinsol found a brand new friend."

"You never told me that."

Chorong her lips subconsciously. "I was going to but it just slipped my mind. I became stressed about Christmas presents and I completely forgot. I'm sorry."

Eunji furrows her eyebrows and chuckles before bumping her girlfriend's hip. "You don't need to apologise babe." Her hand reaches out for Chorong's and she entwines their finger slowly. "Do you want to go see Namjoo and Hayoung?"

"Sure."

"See you in a bit Bbom."

Bomi bobs her head. "Yeah, see you in a bit."


 

They're standing a few inches apart, not talking to one another and Chorong has her arms crossed over her chest, protecting herself. Bomi takes a sip of her juice as she observes the couple who have barely spoke since they left Bomi at the front door. They both spoke to Hayoung and Namjoo but now they're alone, there seems to be a surprising amount of tension hovering between the two of them.

Eunji says something briefly to her girlfriend before making her way over to Bomi. Bomi finishes her drink and places it on the table behind her in preparation for the conversation.

"I haven't seen you since New Year."

Bomi nods slowly. "Yeah, I know. I've missed you."

"I've missed you too. We should do something next week, just the two of us," Eunji suggests.

Bomi smiles widely. "I'd like that."

Ever since she met Chorong, her friendship with Eunji has suffered and she regrets it so much. She's always had such a close friendship with the other woman; it's the one thing she never wants to lose.

The auburn-haired woman falls into silence but Bomi can see that her lower lip is tugged between her teeth, a tell-tale sign that she has something on her mind. It's always been Eunji's tell. Bomi can remember Eunji coming round to her house one night to study and half way through, Bomi noticed that her friend was biting down on her bottom lip. That was the night Eunji told her that her parents were going through a rough patch and she was terrified that they were going to get a divorce.

They never did.

"What's wrong Eunji-ah?"

"What makes you think something's wrong?"

Bomi spins around so she's facing her friend. "You're biting down on your bottom lip; it's what you do when something's wrong."

Eunji exhales heavily. "I think Chorong's keeping something from me."

Subconsciously she crosses her arms in protection. "Why do you think that?"

"I just…do you ever get the feeling that somebody isn't telling you everything?" Eunji questions. "Sometimes she seems closed off and she's never been like that before."

"Maybe she's just hormonal." Bomi rolls her eyes at her own suggestion.

"She lost this bracelet a couple of months ago and this morning I noticed it on her wrist," Eunji tells her. "She said she lost it in Namjoo's apartment but –"

"But what?"

"I'm going to say something right now and I need you to tell me I'm being stupid and just paranoid."

"Okay."

Eunji exhales heavily again. "You don't think there's somebody else, do you?"

Bomi gulps harshly. "No, of course not. She's devoted to you," Bomi says in an attempt to comfort her friend. "She loves you Eunji, you only need to look at her to see it."

It's not a lie, Bomi has seen the way Chorong looks at her girlfriend and she can see the love hidden behind Chorong's eyes.

"You're just being paranoid; she's not cheating on you Eunji."

If Eunji ever finds out the truth, Bomi is going to regret saying those words.

Eunji bobs her head and sips her drink. "Yeah," she says with a light laugh. "You're right."

After quashing Eunji's worries about Chorong seeing somebody else, she has succeeded in pushing the couple closer together. After Eunji left Bomi to re-join Chorong, the couple have shared laughter and several kisses and it's as if Eunji never had those worries in the first place.

She closes her eyes and exhales a tremulous sigh. Chorong isn't her problem anymore. The brunette doesn't want anything else to happen between them and it's for the best. No matter what Bomi is feeling towards Chorong, calling it off is the best thing because then nobody gets hurt.

Now she can focus on Naeun and try and forget about Chorong.

She's not expecting to fall into a relationship with Naeun but for the first time in years, she's not opposed to the idea.

She's not going into their date with only one thing in mind.

She has Chorong to thank for that.


 

"You know, she might just be the loveliest girl I think I've ever met," Sunghee gushes as she starts clearing away the used wrapping paper.

Jinsol had finally been allowed to open her presents about half an hour ago and has since been playing with her new toys with all her friends before they leave.

"Who?"

"Chorong, Eunji's girlfriend," Sunghee confirms. "She's an absolute delight."

Bomi exhales heavily; is everybody trying to talk to her about Chorong today? First she had to quash Eunji's nerves and now she has to listen to her mom sing Chorong's praises.

"Why are you telling me?"

Sunghee shrugs her shoulders. "She's the kind of girl you need to be dating, a good girl who's well-mannered and goal-orientated. That kind of girl would do wonders for you."

"I'll bear it in mind."

"How are things with you darling?"

"You haven't called me darling since I was about fifteen."

"That's not answering the question," Sunghee states.

"It's a rather vague question mom and you've never been on for vagueness. How about you narrow the question down to what you really want to ask me?"

Sunghee smiles softly. "How are things with the person you like?"

"Non-existent."

"Really?" Her mom questions with a hint of surprise. "Last time we talked you said things were going well, you sounded like you really liked her."

Bomi glances briefly at Chorong who is in the middle of playing a game with Jinsol and some of her friends.

She looks perfect.

"I do really like her," Bomi breathes out before bringing her gaze back to her food before her mom works out who she was looking at. "She doesn't want anything to happen between us. She loves her girlfriend."

"If she really loved her girlfriend, she wouldn't have cheated in the first place."

"We all make mistakes, it's human nature."

"We're also supposed to learn from our mistakes," Sunghee continues, binning some empty paper plates. "What exactly has happened between the two of you since Christmas?"

"We kissed."

Sunghee sighs lightly. "There comes a time darling, when mistakes stop being mistakes. Cheating once, that can be classed as a mistake, cheating twice, it's not a mistake. It's something you want to happen."

"So what do you suggest?"

"Give her time, she'll realise it eventually."

As her mom heads towards the kitchen, Bomi casts another glance in Chorong's direction. "I doubt it."