Chapter 3:

The Way We Were

Seunghyun's POV:

Why did she call?

WHY DID SHE CALL?

It’s been sixteen years and she finally got the courage to call me?

Does she finally now realize that what she did was wrong?

Ugh. This whole mess…I swear I’m going to explode.

Yesterday, I picked up my cell phone, thinking it would be my friend Taeyang. I didn’t know it would be her. To be honest, I have no idea on how she even got my number.

“Hello, this is Choi Seunghyun speaking.” I answered professionally, as I shuffled the papers around my desk.

I really need to be more organized…wait..where's my secretary?

“Seunghyun?” A weak voice squeaked from the phone.

Huh? That sounded a lot like….

“-It’s me.”

Oh god. Could it be? No, No, No. It can’t.
 

I was completely speechless. Dumbfounded.Thousands of questions were flooding my mind.

“Uh..uhh…err...who is this?” I asked again.

“I said it’s me. I’m pretty sure you know who.” She replied.
 

Of course it’s her..

“Seunghyun…there's something that you need to know..." She blurted out.

What? Know about what? That what she did pretty much ruined me and Jennifer's life?

"It's okay, you don't have to explain. Save your apologies to someone who cares." I angrily snapped back.

Apologizing now is not going to change the past...

"No Seunghyun, it's not that." She hastily replied. "It's my diary..."

Her what?

"Diary?" I asked. "What diary?"

"Listen, I kept a diary while we were...together...and I left it at the house." She stammered.

You also left your four-month old daughter.....

"Er...okay. Do you want me to mail it to you or something?"

Why does she even need her diary? What is wrong with her?

"No, it's fine. I'm stopping by tonight to pick it up." She said softly.

Tomorrow?

TOMORROW?

I thought she was in Korea! How is this even possible?

"I...I already schedule a flight and everything. I thought I had it with me but I was wrong. I'm sorry that I forgot to call ahead..."

I could hear her trying to hold back her tears. I checked my watch.

12:04pm.

She'll probably arrive around near midnight tomorrow if she's already on board.

"Well Jennifer is probably going to be home. You might as well introduce yourself to her when you stopby..." I clarified.

"Oh, no no no I can't!" She cried.

"...Please Seunghyun......." She pleaded like a young, helpless child.

Oh God, please don't make this more difficult for me....

"Okay, okay. Fine." I sighed. "I'll pick Jennifer up from school and I'll take her to my office. She's probably going to be suspicious but she's not going to see you."

"Oh thank you thank you!" She thanked.

Ugh, why am I such a good person?

"Wait..." She exclaimed before I hung up.

"What?"

"Listen...about the pickup...."
________________________________________________

Nichkhun's POV:

I know she loves me.

And it's a pretty awesome feeling knowing that someone fancies you.

But I don't know if I actually love Jessica.

I mean I have to admit, she is gorgeous and attractive. and we are good friends, but I'm not sure how it would work out.

I was sitting in my office, watching Tiffany doing her report about some "suspicious fire".
 If Jessica and I go out,  what would happened to her? it would make things  much....more...awkward...

I mean after all-

"Hey, Nichkhun!"

I quickly spun around and saw Jessica standing right behind me.

"Oh...hey..Jessica!" I greeted the cheerful blonde as I coolly slid my hand behind my head.

Oh great, this is just perfect....

"What are you doing? Watching the news report?" Jessica asked as she pointed at the screen.

"Hehe...well yeah. Aren't you suppose to be on air doing the traffic report?" I asked as I gave out a nervous chuckle.

Crap! Don't screw up Nichkhun...

"No, not today. The intern is going to the traffic report today." She replied as she gave me a warm smile.

"Oh...well...that sounds great..."

"Uhh....yeah..."

Ugh why is this so awkward? Does she know that I know that she likes me? Arghhhh...I better make a move or else she'll think that I'm a wussie!

"Uh hey, um...I've been wondering Jessica...." I began as I cleared my throat.

Jessica stared at me, as if she already knew that I was going to ask her out.

Am I really going to ask her out?

"Do you think...we could...uh...maybe get a cup of coffee or something?" I asked as I gave her a small smile.

"Oh....coffee? That sounds like fun!" She  replied.

Sweet! She's actually excited to have some coffee with me!

"Oh really? Wow that's great! Let's go...say...6 o'clock?" I happily replied.

But Jessica smile faded.

"Oh wait...tonight?" She asked.

"Uh...yeah...?"

"Um...sorry Nichkhun...I can't" She apologized.

What? Why not? A second ago she was happy and now she's all apologetic and sad?

"Wait...why?" I questioned.

I err...have to take a flight somewhere..." She said as she looked down at her feet.

She's obviously hiding something....

"What? I don't understand..."

This girl is not making any sense.

"I have to take a flight to the US."
__________________________________________
Jennifer's POV:

It's been five freaking hours ever since I arrived at my father's office.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

I laid on top of the leather couch in my father's office and did nothing but homework. There was really nothing to do.

No TV, no laptop, nothing.

All I can hear are business people walking and gawking at each other.

"So did you finish the report on the products malfunctions?" "Sure did!"
"Why is the supervisor so angry?" "I don't know, she's probably on her period"
"Does this tie look like tight on me?" "Yeah, try loosening it up a little"

Ugh, I swear, this is all I hear in the hallways. It's almost as bad as the conversations in the school hallways.

I glanced my father, who was typing some "major" report. But in every five seconds, he checks his cell phone. Could he be waiting for someone?

"Hey, dad?" I called over as I sat straight up on the couch.

"Hmm?" He replied. His eyes were still glued to the computer screen.

"I...uhh...when can I go home?" I politely asked as he finally took his eyes off the computer screen.

"Umm...hopefully soon honey." He answered as he looked at me in the eye.

For some reason, he's giving me a remorseful look....

I sighed.

Why? Why am I here? I can't take this anymore! Why do I have to stay in his crappy office all day?

"Dad, can you please tell me why I have to be here? I wanna go home." I finally complained.

My father gave me a stern look.

Shoot...I shouldn't have said that.

"Listen, there's something going on, but you do not need to know. I'll tell you when we could go back home."

"-But Dad!"

"No buts!"

Ugh, I hate this. Why can't he tell me? What's going on?

"Dad, if you don't tell me what's going on then I'm walking back home!" I finally shouted.

Smooth move, Jennifer...

"Oh please..." My father smirked. "As if you would know. You don't even know what town we're in."

"Oh yeah? I bet I do! I can just look at my phone's navigation app and googlemap-"

"Don't you dare!" My father shot back.

Bbrrrrinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggg

We both froze. My father's cell phone went off.

"Shut up for a minute and let me answer this." He ordered as I slumped back in the couch.

Whose calling him?

"Hello? Uh huh....Uh-huh...yep...hmm..."

I rolled my eyes. It's probably some stupid call from his boss.

"What!?" He screamed angrily.

Whoa, what is going on?

"What do you mean you can't find it? Well I'm not going to be here all day! You better hurry up and find it or else!"

He then hung up and bang his fists, loudly, on his wooden desk.

Whoa. I have never seen my dad so mad before... What happened?

"....Dad?"

"Listen, Jennifer.... I have to go back home for a little while and then I'll pick you up. Don't and please don't go ANYWHERE! I mean it! You would be in a lot of trouble!" He yelled as he gave me a demanding look.

"Uh...okay..."

"Good..." He replied as he grabbed his car keys from his desk.

"I'll probably be back no less than an hour." He reassured as he left the office.