[3] Easy

잘자요 형 (Goodnight, Hyung)

"Hey, Yoongi-yah..."

"Yeah?"

"You seem to be in a more chipper mood compared to before."

"Ah...hehe...do I?"

"Yeah. Did something happen?"

"Uhm... not really."

"Good lie. Whatever it is, just keep doing it."

My co-worker Seokjin gives me a wink and a smirk before he leaves to prepare for the next iced americano order. Secretly, I smile making sure no one else sees me. J's voice continues to replay in my head while I mix a variety of drinks for the customers. Did my call with J make that much of a difference? We spent about half an hour talking last night before he sang to me to sleep. I hate to admit defeat but Namjoon was right about Sleep Service. It was best that I at least tried it.

With a clear head, I continue to make drinks. It's jam packed today because it's a monday morning. A large number of customers have gathered to get their early morning fix of caffeine. The scent of coffee beans, tea leaves, and milk fills the air which boosts my energy. One drink after another, I am a drink-making factory back here. Hoseok is manning the floor and is serving the drinks and cakes to customers who are seated inside. Seokjin is handling the counter, taking orders from customers and passing them down the line to me. Damn the person who ordered 12 cups of coffee for their company meeting. We lack the number of hands at the moment that even our boss jumped in to help with making the orders and serving them. 

I hear my boss call out each order for the customers waiting at the pick-up counter.

"One iced americano and cheesecake to go."

"Yes, that's me."

My ears twitch when I heard a familiar voice. I lower the jug of milk I'm holding until it's on the counter and I turn around to see who said that. It sounded just like J. There is a crowd of five maybe six people waiting for their drinks so it could have been any of them. However, there is a person walking out the door with a drink in one hand and a small paper bag in the other and his shoulders supporting the straps of his backpack. I tiptoe to check where he's going but he's walking the opposite direction of where I stand so I could only catch a glimps of the back of his head. I don't have a clue on what J even looks like but I swear to life on earth that that voice was his. 

"Yoongi-yah, stop staring and help out! We have five more orders to complete."

"Ah, yes, boss!"

 


 

Finally, I'm able to catch a break. I step outside the cafe and go to the smoking area just a few meters away. A lighter in one hand and a pack of cigarettes in the other. I tap the box in my hand and pop it open to pull one piece out. I place the cigarette between my lips, light it until the tip burns and inhale the addicting fume. I have my bluetooth earphones on and fit them in my ears then play a playlist on shuffle. I press the next button, and again, and again... there's no song I want to listen to. I press the next button one more time and Charlie Puth's "We don't talk anymore" plays making me motionless. I close my eyes to imagine it's J singing. Maybe I can ask him to sing again later tonight? His voice is in the tenor range so high notes won't be a problem. What if he can sing a guide for my song?

"...Yoongi? Yoongi-yah... HEY!"

My eyes shoot open and a face appears before me, making me jump. 

"Holy ! Namjoon! What the f--k?!"

"What were you thinking about? You were smiling like an idiot for a full minute. And that's while I was here."

"Why are you even here?"

"I wanted to get coffee but decided to smoke one before heading inside."

"I don't believe you. You saw Seokjin and ran, didn't you?"

"F--k you, man. Hand me one of yours. I'm all out."

I give Namjoon my pack and he takes one. I even hand him my lighter without uttering another word. He and I started smoking at the same time in our last year of high school. It was just to experiment but I guess we just got addicted to it and never stopped since. I've tried breaking the habit because my mom worried about me but I couldn't. Another reason hid beneath that but I don't want to even bring that up.

"So, how was Sleep Service?"

"Ssshh... don't say it out loud."

"What? Are you that embarrassed by it? Besides, there's like... no one here."

I look around and he's right. It's just us two in the smoking area. I can't say I'm embarrassed but...alright, I probably am. 

"Let's just... not talk about it here, okay?"

"Fine. But at least tell me what happened. I promise I won't bug you about it in the future."

"That's a lie."

"Hehe, you got me. Come on! Fill me in!"

I shake my head and let out a laugh right before I tell him. I give him details but not everything. I don't want him to know that J told me to dream of him. That... that's just... not normal. What I do tell Namjoon is that J was obligated to sing for me and when he did, my nightmare had changed. I still saw that freakish head eat me but the mattress had gone and I was surrounded by red roses.

"Wow, that's great! Doesn't that mean something?"

"I don't know. I've always had that nightmare. This is the first time I've dreamt of something else."

"Dreams have meanings, don't they? We can search on the internet!"

"Hey, we don't need to do that."

"Aww it'll be fun!"

"I'll pass."

I puff the last bit of my cigarette, drop it to the ground and step on it, putting it out. 

"Hey, I have to head back in. My ten minutes is up. See you inside?"

"Yeah. Uhh... he is there, right?"

"Wow you're crushing so hard right now."

Namjoon raises a fist at me as I run away and laugh at him. It's fun to about his crush on my co-worker. I never thought Namjoon would like men the same as women. He told me he was biual when we entered University but he always had a girlfriend and this is the first time he's had a crush on a boy since we graduated. And the boy just has to be the second most handsome part-timer at the cafe. The first obviously being me.

"Yoongi-yah, where were you?! We need you to man the floor!"

"I was on my ten minute break, Boss. Sorry!"

"Be sorry later! Get out there! I need hands!"

"Yes, sir!"

 


 

Exhausted. The first word to describe how I'm feeling right now. What is up with today? There were so many customers in the morning and then later in the afternoon. I think there was a conference nearby our cafe so it was flocked with businesspeople and foreigners. Hoseok was enjoying the english practice. I was glad I was making drinks because I didn't want to speak a word of english today. My mind was already full with other thoughts. After my work at Angel-in-us, I went straight to the convenience store to buy a snack before arriving at my underground studio below my apartment.

The studio is two floors down from the ground floor. The landlord said that I can only use it between 4 to 8 PM or else he'll stop leasing me the unit. But it's not like anyone else would want it. The studio unit is old and worn out but its size is enough to fit a digital audio station with a single monitor, synth and sampler. The moment you step inside, the chair and set-up is just three steps away. I even had to stick egg cartons on all four walls so I could cancel out the sound. I haven't gotten any complaints yet.

It's 4:38 PM. I write down the time on my notebook and start jotting down my thoughts. Anything that comes to mind they are all in my notebook. I think of melodies and lyrics, whichever pops up first. Once my monitor , I see my file "NoLyrics.mp3" right in the middle. It's a song I finished but have no vocals to. I have some lyric ideas written down but it's all very vague. On my notepad it reads "Family, Love, Confused, Uncertain, Scared". It sums up how I felt the months leading up to my father's passing. I still can't forgive myself that day. What did I do leading up to that point? Why did I do what I did? I should have been better to him. I should have been there.

I calm myself before spiraling down any further to what's burried inside. I can't bring up dad. Not right now. I'm still not ready. I stare at my notebook and scribble. I just draw different shapes. I draw a small square and another square. A few swirls and squiggles here and there. My mind is clearing up and J comes to mind, again. I've thought about him multiple times today.

And it hits me. I write down words that pop up as I thought of J. 

Mysterious. Beautiful.
Hidden. But visible.
Today is different from yesterday. 
Our call changed me.

A beat comes to mind. I record the bass and add more elements right after. I replay J's voice in my mind and find the chords that will suit his voice. A song is coming together. A song that will suit him. But, will he agree to sing?

 


 

I fall onto my soft mattress and exhale deeply, releasing the tension on my chest and back. I turn my head to the side and the clock is at 10:23 PM. I actually spent more time in the studio today compared to any other day I was in there. The landlord won't get mad, will he? Nah. He won't. The egg cartons did their job.

A wave of inspiration hit me unexpectedly earlier and I didn't stop. I kept going until I had a finished product ready. There is excitement building up but at the same time anxiousness. I've never wanted anyone to sing a song for me. Not once did I receive an ounce of support for my music. I did have Namjoon encourage me to continue making music, my parents weren't behind the idea of it as a career.

No, let's not think of this now. What I should do right now is take a shower. I get up from the bed and head to the restroom to take a warm shower. I strip down to my birthday suit and get in tub. Turning the handle, cold water gushes out the shower head and touches my skin. A chilling feeling travels from my arm to my entire body. I go under the shower head and drench myself. It takes me about fifteen minutes to finish my shower. I pat my body dry with a large towel before putting on my clothes. 

Leaving the restroom, I open the door and hear my phone ring. Is that--? With no second to spare, I run to my bed to check my phone and it's Sleep Service! I answer it right away.

"Hello?"

"Yoongi-hyung?"

"J?"

"Hi, Hyung!"

This voice. Unconsciously, it brings a smile to my face. My heart is racing. Ah... it's because I ran when I didn't have to. I was just too excited back there.

"How was your day, Hyung?"

"It was alright."

"Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah... thanks to you."

"Really? No nightmares?"

"Hmm... I still had a nightmare but it wasn't as terrible."

"Is that so? Oh..."

His tone changed. It's as if he is... disappointed?

"What's the matter, J?"

"I was hoping you wouldn't have nightmares anymore. It's my job to help you!"

"Hey, it's your job to help me sleep. I was able to sleep so you did your job."

"But... your nightmare."

"Don't worry about it."

And an awkward silence sits between us. How do I bring up my song to him? Will it be too soon to ask him? We've only talked for one night. If I ask for this favor he might be weirded out by me. Okay. Let's not talk about music. I do want to know if... he came by the cafe earlier today. 

"J, I have a question for you."

"Go right ahead!"

"Do you... like Iced Americano?"

"Isn't that the national drink of our people? Hehe."

"Haha, you're right. Uhm... what about cheesecake?"

"That sounds delicious!"

"So you like them?"

"Of course! I don't hate food! Food is my best friend! But, what is with the food question. Are you a chef?"

"Oh, no. I... uh... I work at a cafe."

"Really? Which one?"

"Angel-in-us."

"I love the drinks there! That's awesome!"

"Uhhh..."

"Hyung, is there something else on your mind?"

"I just..."

I hesitate. Am I allowed to ask him? It might be breaking a rule. He shouldn't get in trouble for this, right?

"Did you... go to Angel-in-us near Sinchon station today?"

"That's a very specific question, Hyung."

"I know. It's just that I... thought I saw you today."

"Eh? You know what I look like?"

"No no. That's the thing. I just... heard your voice. Well, I thought it was your voice. I just assumed. I'm sorry. I won't bring it up again."

"Hey, it's okay! There must be plenty of people that sound like me. I'm sorry but I can't tell you where I went today because it would break rule number one. You'd be able to know my routine that way."

"I understand."

Silence. This kills me. I shouldn't have asked. It probably wasn't him. I assumed right away because I heard a similar voice. I turned into a fool and sounded like a fool, too. I slap myself on the cheek but not too hard for J to hear me. So that I don't make an even bigger fool of myself, mentioning the song I wrote is off the table.

"Hyung, would you like me to sing again?"

"Yeah, why not? I'm getting tired anyways."

"Okay. Any song request?"

"I'll give you reign on this one."

"Gotcha."

I turn off the lights in my room and lie down on my bed. I then pull up the covers over my torso. I put J on speaker mode and he begins to hum. He's not singing any lyrics but just humming to a melody. It's a sweet melody. It's a ballad popular way back when but I can't point out which one. He continues to hum his lullaby and slowly I drift off to sleep.

Falling asleep has always been a challenge to me. But for J, he makes it seem easy.

 


 

AUTHOR'S COMMENTS:

Alright! What did you think of this chapter? I believe we can feel Yoongi forming a little crush on J, yeah? But Yoongi won't admit that. Namjoon, on the other hand, has a crush. If you squint you can see. lol. You get a bit of new info about Yoongi and his family. Future chapters will dig deeper into that. 

Plus, Yoongi now has 2 songs. "NoLyrics.mp3" which has no lyrics but only a vague idea of it. Also another Untitled song inspired by J. Remember that! ;) It's important in the future chapters.

Was that J at the cafe this morning? What do you think? Leave a comment below! Share your thoughts with me~

See you all again on the next chapter!