[1] Can't sleep

잘자요 형 (Goodnight, Hyung)

poster made by Cherry Bomb Graphics Shop 

WARNING: This chapter has text on sleep paralysis and nightmares. Please read with caution if this gives you discomfort.

 

"Damn, you look like ."

The moment I step inside the back room of Angel-in-us Coffee I hear my co-worker make that comment and I glare at him. He breaks out in a laugh and pats me on the back, saying it was just a joke. These dark circles are evidence to my unpleasant sleep last night. Another nightmare took hold of me. It's great he enjoys my misfortune. The support is outstanding...

"...ha...ha...nice one, Hoseok..."

He gives me a wink and continues to change into uniform. I walk past him and stand in front of my own locker. I turn the numbers on my lock and it opens. I open the door of my locker; I admit, stronger than usual, accidentally hitting Hoseok on his shoulder. He shrieks loudly and peeps over my locker door. 

"Hey! I'm standing over here! Be careful with the locker door, man..."

"Oh, sorry...I guess I swung it too hard. My bad."

Hoseok pouts his lips while he rubs his shoulder. He's saying non-sense like I'm being a bully towards him and starts asking our other co-worker for support. This kid is such a laugh. Our other co-worker, Seokjin, thinks so too that he doesn't even take his complaints seriously and just gets ready for our shift. I'm glad to know I have one co-worker with some sense left in him. I put on the black apron and double check in the mirror that my uniform pieces are in place. The hat is the last to go on and I'm off to start my shift. It's going to be another long day.

 


 

"Is your order for here or to go?"

"To go."

"Okay, please wait a moment."

I tap the buttons on the touch screen in front of me and ask for the customer's payment as the cashier tray opens up. The customer hands me a ten-thousand won bill and I give her change right after. I bow to thank her and she leaves without even a sign of appreciation. I've been used to this by now. Being ignored by customers doesn't faze me anymore. I guess one can say I enjoy being in the shadows. That's how my personality is. 

"Excuse me? Hello? Why aren't you taking my order?!"

I jump from the sudden loud voice; an older woman in glamorous garments stands in front of me with her arms crossed. I see my scared face reflected on her large sunglasses. I bow to her to apologize and take her order right away.

"My apologies. What is your order?"

"Che... what kind of an apology is that? You were staring into space. Is this how you usually work?"

"I'm sorry..."

"Where's your manager? Let me speak to him!"

I pause for a moment to analyze what just happened. She's mad at me for not hearing her the first time she called my attention. Now, she wants to speak with my manager? I know these types of customers; the ones who think they own everything and are entitled. A slight inconvenience for them is such a big deal they believe the world will revolve around them. I give a slight bow before leaving my post to find my manager in the back room taking a short nap. A light tap on the shoulder and he shoots up from his crouched position, a trail of saliva on the side of his chin. The sight is quite amusing but I can't laugh now.

"Yoongi, what is it?"

"Uhm... a customer wants to speak with you."

"Huh? What now?! I just had to talk to someone cause Hoseok wouldn't shut up while cleaning tables!"

"Uhh..."

"Fine fine... I'll be out in a minute."

"Manager--"

"What is it now?!?"

I point at my own chin to tell him that he had something on his face. His eyes widen and uses the back of his left hand to rub his chin, feeling the wetness on his skin. Another few wipes with his hand and he's good to go. I walk out, me behind him, back to the counter and the lady is waiting. I see that Seokjin took my spot at the counter and continued to take orders while Hoseok manned the expresso machine. They both give me a raised eyebrow and respond by shaking my head. Hoseok giggles at his side. I swear, I will murder that kid someday. 

"Are you the manager?"

"Yes, I am. May I ask what's wrong?"

"This employee of yours is such a disappointment! He was staring at me without taking my order!"

"Huh? Yoongi, is this true?"

What?! I didn't even stare at that old hag! I was just staring into space... probably at the touch screen. But I'm a hundred percent sure I wasn't staring at her! Why'd she accuse me of that? What the f--

"See! He's standing there all quiet. That means he's guilty!"

"Ma'am, I understand you must be upset. I apologize for my staff's actio--"

"I won't accept your apology! Where's my compensation?! He just stared down at me as if I'm not a paying customer."

I ball my hand into a fist while resisting to just swing a punch at this overimaginative woman. But of course I won't do that. I'm not an animal. But, does this woman even know when to stop with the lies? I know boss trusts me but because he's caught me dozing off once, he might actually believe her. I want to defend myself from this delusional woman. As I'm about to step in, another person cuts the dialogue between my boss and the lady.

"Excuse me but he wasn't staring at you."

I raise my head to look at the guy that may have just saved my . He seems to be around my age, probably younger. He's got his backpack strap over his shoulder while holding a to-go Iced Americano on the other hand. He looks familiar...

"I was standing behind her in line so I know what your staff was doing."

Oh! No wonder he looks familiar to me. I thought maybe I had met him before. He continues to give a testimony to what had happened.

"He was staring at the screen over the counter but just for a moment. Probably had a lot on his mind. But he wasn't staring at her. I'm sure of it."

"Ma'am, there was a witness. This man says he was behind you. Is this true?"

Holy . I've just been saved. The woman couldn't say anything else. She tries to find the words to strengthen her argument but it's clear she overreacted to me. My boss looks at me with a stern face. Without words, he instructs me to go to the back room to check stock inventory. I've worked with him long enough to know that it's probably what he meant. I bow to him and leave the scene. Before entering the back room, I look over my shoulder and the stranger that helped me walks out of the cafe without turning back. I should have said my thanks but I guess it's too late. Thanks to people like that stranger, I can survive another day longer at this cafe.

 


 

"Hey, how was work today?"

Namjoon greets me with his usual work-related question but I ignore it and plank on top of his bed. I hug the nearest pillow and close my eyes for a while. Namjoon laughs. I feel his hand on my shoulder as he shakes me, trying his best to get me to open my eyes but I fight it. 

"Did something happen, man?"

"Mmrrrnn..."

I mumble in response. I can't see him but I'm sure Namjoon shook his head as his reaction to me. Namjoon plays an indie song on his phone to help me sleep. For once, a short nap with good music in the background wouldn't be so bad. My best friend knows what can and can't help me try to sleep. He knows it's been too long since I've slept even remotely peacefully. Maybe I can even forget about what happened today. Slowly, my mind wanders and there is a feeling of my body drifting away. The music in the background diminishes to a somber sound.

My head clears itself of all thoughts, even of today. A numbness begins surrounds me, engulfing my body. I had drifted off in sleep, a gloom blankets over me. Cold air now embraces me. I open my eyes... I'm... I'm not at Namjoon's apartment. Why... why am I here again? I'm here again. Empty space with only a bed. No covers, no pillows, just a mattress at the tip of my feet. I look down at the bed; the ivory white color soon enveloped by a shade of crimson... the liquid is absorbed by the mattress whole; a part leaks until it reaches my feet. I bend over to touch and the thick substance feels like... blood. Blood everywhere. The once empty space gradually changes to the inside of a beating heart. It looks like a beating heart... as the walls pulse at the same tempo as my own heartbeat. The ground below me rumbles and shakes as if there was an earthquake. Cracks begin to form all around, starting from the ceiling of the tissue wall down to where I stand. The cracks reach me and the ground beneath me disappears and I fall into its depths. I continue to fall and I'm screaming. I try to wake myself up. I know this is the same nightmare. My body is not reacting to my thoughts. I want to wake up but I can't. What will happen next, I am sure of... The fall reaches its end and I can see the hideous face I am about to meet. Its eyes are non-existant, only sockets of where they should be. No nose but a large gaping mouth ready to welcome me, to eat me alive. I scream as the face acknowledges my pressence and opens its mouth even wider with saliva running down its dry, olive skin. The moment he eats me, my body jerks awake and I am conscious again with myself inside Namjoon's apartment.

I gasp for air while my eyes are covered in tears. I'm breathing heavily, attempting to catch my breath from this God-forsaken nightmare. Namjoon's face is masked with concern for me. He sits across from me and checks if I'm alright.

"I'm fine..."

"The ? In this condition, how can you be fine?!"

"It's the same nightmare again..."

". Can you remember the face this time?"

"It's the same... no eyes or nose... just its mouth."

"Why hasn't that face changed? Is it someone you know?"

"I told you before... I have no idea."

I brush off Namjoon's hand on my shoulder and let my legs dangle at the edge of his bed. My best friend gets up from his position to grab me a glass of water. 

"Wipe your forehead. You're sweating like a pig and I just washed my sheets."

I pull down the sleeve of my hoodie to wipe the sweat off my forehead and neck. The sweat stains my hoodie's sleeve and I let out a sigh. Why haven't I found a solution yet to my sleeping problem? Searching on naver1 on how to deal with nightmares had zero results. Namjoon hands me a glass of water, I take a sip of it while I continue to think.

"Did you try the Sleep Service I told you about?"

I nearly spit out the water when I heard Namjoon say 'Sleep Service'. That word just makes me cringe. What is it--an company?!

"We've talked about this, man. I don't want to use it."

"Did you give them a call though?"

He stares me down as if he can see right through me. It's not like I'm hiding anything! I'm not lying--

"...yes..."

"I knew it! How'd it go?"

"I hung up after I heard 'hello'..."

"What?! Yoongi, you're supposed to--uurrghh. You leave me no choice. I'm calling them."

"Wait! wait hold up!"

His moves are swift because a few seconds later, he has my phone in his hand. I still can't figure out how he knows my password. The screen unlocks and the number of Sleep Service comes up in my recent calls list. He presses it and waits for someone to pick up. I hurry over to him to get my phone off his hands but damn him and his long limbs. I await the day I, too, will be over 180 centimeters tall!

"Hello? Sleep Service? Yes, I'd like to book for myself. Yes, this is my personal number. Yes... it's my first time to use your service."

"You f--"

Before I could even curse at his face, his other hand covers my mouth to stop me from making any protest.

"You're correct. I can't sleep most days. The reason?"

He looks at me, his hand still covering my mouth. Namjoon carefully examines my expression. Silently, I relay to him that he can pretend to be me but he shouldn't talk about my nightmare to anyone. That is for me and I alone to share.

"The reason is stress. I'm just unable to rest easy. The seven day package? Great! That's within my budget. When will it start? Tonight?"

"Tonigh?!fftt---"

"Awesome. Thank you. I'd prefer to sleep by eleven tonight. They will call ten minutes before? Good to know. Have a great day!"

Namjoon releases me from his grip and throws the phone back to me. A smile is plastered on his annoying face.

"Don't do that again," I warn him but it passes him with no weight.

He grabs his phone and starts to use it. At this moment in time, he has the audacity to use his phone?! This jerk.

"What the did you just do, Namjoon?!"

"I just booked you seven days with Sleep Service. Someone will call you tonight so don't reject the call, okay?"

"Why are you doing this to me...?" He raises his eyebrow and glances at me. 

"I'm doing this for you, my friend. Here--"

He shows me the screen on his phone with a text saying that a payment transaction has been completed.

"What's this?" 

"I paid for your seven day subscription. You don't owe me anything. Consider it a late birthday gift."

"...I don't know if I'm supposed to be happy or angry about you spending money on me. I don't like gifts, you remember, right?"

"Fine. Consider this as a favor to a friend. Please just try it for seven days. Pleeeaaase?"

He puts his hands together and pouts his lips; he's like a puppy begging and waiting for his owner to respond. I roll my eyes and slowly nod. There have been other solutions and they all failed. This Sleep Service will just be another one of those failures. But, inside of me lingers some optimism. Maybe this could be it? What if this could be the solution I need? This could be just a set up for another disaster. I don't want to regret this.

 


 

STORY NOTES: 

1 - Naver: the most popular search engine of Korea; similar to Google

2 - If you search all the bolded words in this story at dreammoods.com you will learn the symbolism behind Yoongi's nightmare.