Chapter 21

Let Just Be Happy

(Jessica POV)

I woke up feeling lethargic. It has been a year since Yuri left and went missing. I remembered after few days of looking in whole San Francisco, I immediately went back to Korea and looked for her. Our friends and her family were surprised and they also did not know her whereabouts. I told them everything and I got mixed opinion and response from them but mostly blamed on me. I asked for their forgiveness and begged for their help to find her. But they honestly did not know. Her grandfather advised me to go back to America and focus on my business as per his reason of Yuri wanted me to expand my business. I felt devastated and defeated as he mentioned that his granddaughter might gone for ‘protocol #89’. He explained to me that since he involved himself and his family in the politics, if anything happened and they needed to stay hidden, they had this ‘protocol #89’. But he was not sure yet as he had not received any messages from her.

 

I felt my phone buzzed on top of my side table. I opened the message and it was a picture of Yuri. I unconsciously smiled and replied my thank you to her grandfather. Her grandfather has been forwarding me any messages or pictures that she wound send to them. We tried to trace the numbers and pictures but it was futile. Her grandfather was half proud and half irritated already, indeed ‘protocol #89’ was effective.

 

“Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you,…” Krystal barged in my room and singing me ‘Happy Birthday’ song. She was holding a cake and wine on her armpit. She still the sweetest sister, though she got mad of me for the missing Yuri, she forgave me and made me promise not to stop looking for her Yuri Unnie.

 

“Make a wish, Unnie”, she joyfully said after her song ended.

 

‘Please come back to me, my Yuri, my Seobang. I miss you. I miss my happiness. Let just be happy together.’ I mentally thought my wish and could not help but to shed a tear.

 

“Unnie”, Krystal whispered and wiped my tears.

 

“Its okay. Come on. I will cook breakfast. I bet you haven’t.” I stood up from my bed and went out without waiting for her.

 

“Mom wants you home”, I heard her say. Yes, it had been a year also since I moved out from my family house and just lived in my condominium. I left the company and focused on my own business. My fashion line was expanding with another branch that just opened last week, but still with the help of Tyler. He’s now a business partner. He tried many attempts to court me but I stood my ground as a married woman and that I only loved Yuri.

 

I touched my necklace that has Yuri’s rings that served as pendants. I remembered calling and asking the ministry if possible to provide and send again the original documents with an excused of accidentally shredded with other documents in the office. I was scolded by the ministry and wanted to talk Yuri but I made another excused that Yuri was currently overseas for business trip and a call was not possible. He doubted my excuse but he did send me another set of original documents. I might looked and sounded desperate but I had forged Yuri’s signature. I sent back the original documents and had it registered.

 

“I will call mom later. Maybe the 3 of us could have dinner later”, I replied to her. I started preparing our breakfast.

 

“Dad said Happy Birthday”, I heard her added. I saw her sat on the counter. I placed the pan on the stove and put oil to start heating.

 

“Thank you”, my simple replied and I just continued on my cooking. My mind wondered with my father. I never spoke to him since then. It was not his fault, and I knew he never meddle but he should have told me. A bit show of concern could have been appreciated and saved heartaches. The fact that he did not, I gave up and became stranger to him.

 

“Okay. Grandpa and Grandma are visiting tomorrow”, she casually reminded me.

 

“Ohh, shoot. I totally forgot, Krystal. I have to fly tomorrow morning to Uganda. We have pictorial for the new catalogue.” I said as I faced her.

 

“Then come back sooner. They will stay for 2-3 weeks though”, she rolled her eyes on me.

 

“That long?” I asked and went back to cooking.

 

“Yap and better come back sooner. I heard Grandma scolding Dad again because of you”, she stood up and start preparing fresh orange juice for us. I felt guilty and did not say anything.

 

“Anyways, why Uganda? There are other better place. Is it safe?” Krystal asked after a while of silence.

 

“Tyler also asked the same thing. He was not comfortable with me flying there. But I have to personally supervise the models and the team.” I casually explained.

 

“One of our investors’ friend was from Uganda and he was asking favor to promote the country. He guaranteed our safety.” I added.

 

“But I heard a lot of negative”, she sounded fearful for my safety.

 

“I know. I have my own searching too.” I slightly tapped her shoulder assuring her that I knew.

 

“You have to call me, update me.” Krystal stared at me and I hugged her tight.

 

“If anything happened to me, you know what to do. My will is in the safe.” I seriously said. “I love you, Soojung-ah. Tell the same to Mom and Dad too.” I added,

 

“Yah. What the ***k!” She exclaimed. I laughed at her feared and lost expression.

 

“Relax, Soojung. Nothing will happen. I cannot die early. I have not found Yuri yet. Okay.” She looked gloomy on the mentioned of her other Unnie.

 

“And who knows, I might find her there”, I joked to ease the heaviness around.

 

“I miss her so much”, I said out of nowhere.

 

“Don’t worry, Unnie. You will find her”, she consoled at me.

 

Finally, after quite a while travel, we arrived in Uganda and were transported to a hotel. Later after lunch, we will meet a group of locals to discuss the location of pictorials. I heaved a long sigh as I was missing badly my Seobang. Yesterday was my birthday and the dinner with my family was awfully quiet. My Mom insisted of bringing Dad and we ended up eating in silence. I was not ready to talk to Dad, not yet. I ended up crying after getting home. I was feeling empty and giving up already. Later at night, her grandfather sent me another picture of her, holding a cake. He messaged me that he does not know why she was holding a cake. I could not reply as I wailed whole night. She never failed to surprise me.

 

We had our lunch and now preparing the hall for a meeting with the locals. The few locals arrived and started sitting. My staffs entertained them while I checked the list of locals coming with us. My heart leaped up when I read ‘Yuri Kwon’. ‘It’s impossible’, as I shook my head for the possibilities. But, then I heard a similar distinct voice getting louder as someone entered the hall. I looked by the door and our eyes met but she immediately looked away.

 

“Irene, can you take over the meeting?’ I immediately whispered to my assistant but keeping my eyes on Yuri.

 

“Sure. No sweat.” She answered back and I approached the uncomfortable Yuri and dragged her out of the hall. I bet everyone were looking shock at us. I was walking ahead, still holding her hand, when I felt a strong tugged on me. I looked back and saw Yuri being held on the other arm by a beautiful girl that my jealousy and insecurities shoot up high.

 

“Who is she, Yuri? Your girlfriend or a friend” I frankly asked, then I shifted my gaze to the girl. The girl was not backing down and kept holding on. I glared back on her as if telling her, answering me wrongly would be fatal to her.

 

“A friend”, she answered and heaved a long sigh. She looked back to her friend and nodded. The girl let her go. I continued to drag her until we were confined in my hotel room. Once entered, I locked the door and sat her on the bed. I stood in front of her and stared at her for some time.

 

“How are you, Yuri?” I initiated the first conversation that I intended to have with her. I had planned this conversation, my apologies and confession for a year.

 

“I’m okay.” she simply answered me.

 

“Your Grandfather is impressed and frustrated with your ‘protocol #89’. We cannot trace you.” I smiled on the thought. She looked shock at me.

 

“We had been searching you for almost a year now but a year for me. I know you love me, Yuri. Too much that you only think of my happiness. I was supposed to be the happiest girl last year but you left me. You had so little faith with my love for you. Am I that shallow to you?” I asked her but she looked down and did not say anything.

 

“Well, I could not blame you if you thought me that way, because you had caught me kissing Tyler. I had to admit that I honestly admired him for his great personality and that he gave me the thrill and more passion, I thought my love waived for a moment, but that kiss only solidify more my love and relationship with you. I never cheated on you aside from kissing him back and I am sorry. Forgive me.” I carefully continued and watched her snickered negatively with my confession.

 

“Why you easily gave up and did not confront me? I’m sorry for I neglected you and we drifted apart. You know how to be the sweetest but you don’t know how to fight. A little fight could have save a year of heartache. I only wanted you. As much as I want to hate you for leaving me but I am only loving you more. So, tell me Yuri. Do you still love me because I love you still?” I sincerely asked while I kneeled in front of her.

 

“But, if you have found your happiness already, I am not asking you no more.” I took her hand and looked deeply in her confused eyes. When she stayed quiet and took back her own hand. I swallowed the lump forming in my throat. ‘, Am I that too late?’ I thought and held my impending cries.

 

“I understand”, I only said and heaved a long sigh. I stood up and I did not know what to do. Did I put too much faith and trust in our love and our relationship? I heaved a long sigh again. Her quietness was not part of what I had imagined and planned.