Chapter 14

Let Just Be Happy

(Jessica POV)

We were now waiting for our luggage from the conveyor belt with push cart in tow. I still could not believe that Yuri was with me now here in California. The live conference I had with the board members and personal conference with my father leaved me no choice but to go back here. Even if I had to give up my position, it would be grueling and inconvenient at the moment. There were problems arising and needs attention that my father asked for my expertise. He could not trust anyone but me at the moment.

 

I informed Yuri about the outcome of the conference via phone as she called me during her break and could not wait to come home. We invited and prepared dinner for the Taeny and told them about our situation.

 

“That can’t be helped”, Taeyeon only remarks after telling them.

 

“I will miss you, Jessi”, Tiffany hugged me while crying.

 

Taeny had set a party for us the following day that surprised the others. Then by the evening, we went back to Yuri’s hometown. The whole family was already waiting for us. Yuri explained to them and they understood. I apologized after for I had to take away Yuri from Korea. The family requested us to spend more days with us or particularly with Yuri and we stayed for 3 days more.

 

“Seobang, are you sure okay that we stayed in our family mansion. I have condominium, you know.” I asked her again as we pushed our luggage out of the airport. I saw the son of our family driver and approached him with Yuri in tow.

 

“Good afternoon, Princess Jung. Welcome back to the land of milk and honey California. I am here to fetch you on the instruction of King Jung”, he greeted me while jokingly bended his body liked a servant do.

 

“Thank you, Servant Henry”, I answered back in old fashioned courtesy. We laughed after in our foolishness. I looked back to find Yuri and saw her smiling at us while shaking her head.

 

“Seobang, meet Henry, he is the son of our family driver”, I reached out for her hand and introduced her to Henry.

 

“Hello, Servant Henry. I am Yuri, a peasant servant to our Princess Jung”, she also jokingly bowed her head like servant do, but stand properly after then smiled and extended her hand to astounded Henry. I flicked his forehead as he was only staring at Yuri.

 

“Please to meet you, Ms. Yuri”, he immediately said and bowed. Yuri only chuckled on him and tapped his shoulder.

 

“Stop ogling my wife, Henry, she is taken by me, by me”, I flicked his forehead again and shove the cart with our luggage to him. “Move. Now. Servant.” Yuri giggled with my possessiveness. Henry winced as he carefully touched his forehead.

 

“You have not change at all. Still very abusive as you can be”, he stated and pushed the cart on waiting car. He opened the trunk and put our luggage. Yuri helped him and he looked shyly embarrassed. I rolled my eyes on him and pulled Yuri to get inside the car.

 

“So, where do you want us to stay?” I asked Yuri as soon as we get inside the car.

 

“Let just stay first with your family”, she carefully uttered. I honestly answered her when she asked me about my father still none comment on our relationship, and she was equally honest of being troubled and worried. She took my hand and held it tightly. Henry got inside the car.

 

“Jess, your father instructed me to bring you directly to the mansion”, Henry casually said while looking at me from the front mirror and I only nodded. And, I felt Yuri tighten her hold on my hand.

 

(Yuri POV)

We entered a private property and I recognized their mansion from afar. Sica shown me before some pictures of hers and her family with their mansion as a background. She claimed to be growing up pampered and spoilt but changed when she entered university and started her business, and I was grateful that she was extremely humble now. I suddenly felt insecure to be with her. I knew she was rich and seeing now their mansion, I was doubting my capabilities to provide for her, though she never asked anything in extreme and expensive from me. The most I could remember that she usually asked me to buy for her were foods, from bread, ice cream or fruits that she would suddenly crave for. What made me more insecure was the none-comment of her father on our relationship. I guessed not everybody was pleased with our relationship. I looked at my Princess and she has worried on her eyes. I squeezed her hand more which I realized has been holding by me since back at the airport. I released and just tapped her hand, conveying my feelings that I would be okay.

 

Krystal was on the footstep and smiling widely as she held a welcome banner with our name on it. She practically jumped on her sister. She kissed her cheeks soundly and hugged tightly after. She quickly untangled herself from her sister and prepared to launch on me. But her sister hold her arms.

 

“Unnie”, she whined and struggling to remove her sister’s hold on her. Sica laughed at her and let go.

 

“Yuri Unnie, I missed you”, she kissed my cheeks and hugged me too and I affectionately did the same.

 

 “I missed you too”, I caressed her hair. A saw her parents stood by the doorstep and looking at us. I shyly untangled myself from Krystal. Sica held my hand and approached her parents.

 

“Mom, Dad, meet my Seobang, Kwon Yuri”, Sica introduced me and I traditionally bowed to them.

 

“Hello, Mr. Jung, Mrs. Jung, please to meet you. I am Kwon Yuri.” I reached my hand for a handshake but her mother pull me for a kissed on my cheeks and hugged me after.

 

“Welcome to California and call me Mom.” Her mother whispered and patted my head.

 

“Thank you, Mom”, I whispered back. I saw Mr. Jung approached Sica then they affectionately kissed and hugged each other. Mrs. Jung untangled herself from me and approached them. She did the same to Sica.

 

“Hi, Mr. Jung, I am Kwon Yuri”, I reached my hand directly to him and waited.

 

“Hi, Ms. Kwon Yuri. Welcome to California”, he said plainly and he did a quick handshake on my awaiting hand.

 

(Jessica POV)

“I’m sorry, Seobang”, I hugged her as soon we got private in our room.

 

“Nah, it’s okay. At least your father is civil.” She my hair affectionately. “I just needed to work extra harder to show him I am worthy of her daughter, okay, so you better help me and cooperate.”

 

“I love you”, I uttered and kissed her hard.

 

“I know and I love you too”, she replied after.

 

Knock. Knock. Knock. I opened the door and one of our helper informed us that lunch would be served soon. I nodded and thanked her. We freshen up first before going downstairs to join my family. The lunch was lively because of Krystal and I was grateful, but my father remained quiet and only comment if necessary. I made a mental note to talk to him later.

 

“Dad, can’t you like Yuri for me. I love her.” I directly said to the point after a while of staring contest with my father. He asked me to join him alone at the study room after our lunch.

 

“Sit down, Sooyeon”, he coldly commanded me and I complied nonetheless.

 

“She is a woman. I cannot accept your relationship with her”, my father frankly pointed out. My heart sunk on his statement. I never thought that he is homophobe.

 

“What would other people say? Our investor will mock me and question my credibility and leadership. It is a disgrace to the family”, he simply stated and stared at me deeply. Now, that was exaggerating. When did he became concern of others thoughts.

 

“I am trying my best to be civil with her, for your sake. But that’s all I could give. I know I cannot force you to leave her, not now or never, I have so much at my hand and I can only deal with one at a time”, he tiredly looked at me, “The company needs more attention, something is going on and if there is something to check first, it would be the accounts.”

 

“We will proceed on the re-organization and I want you to take over the accounting and finance department”, he continued.

 

“You only did the re-organization for me to take over the department,” I said though I knew, but I still needed confirmation from him.

 

“Yes”, he answered short. I should know better when he confirmed it.

 

“Here are the doubted accounts, you can start from that”, he placed few folders on the table and pushed it to me.

 

“Krystal will take over the operation. Kris will help you in the department. You check the accounts and I believe it will take mostly of your time. You will need Kris to continue the operation of the department. I grimaced on the mentioned name.

 

“Stop, father. Kris will not help me. You think I will not catch on what you’re trying to do.” I accused and stood up. “I can manage the department, what is the used of an assistant”, I added.

 

“If I will need help, it will not be from him. Better put him in the operation with Krystal”, I said firmly. We had staring contest and he sighed deeply in resignation.

 

“Anything else I need to know”, I asked after a while and took all the folders. He just shook his head and I proceeded on the door. I looked back and called him.

 

“Dad, just wanted you to know, I am officially Mrs. Kwon Yuri since 3 days ago.” I casually informed him and he looked shocked after. I could see that he was clenching his fist and jaw, and I waited for him to say something. When he kept quiet, I bowed and finally left the room.