How Love Started

Me And The Girl Next Door

Sunnee went back to the classroom, and saw there was a little celebration inside. It was Evan who first noticed her when she came in. "Sunnee, my love! Come and join us!" Evan called her. Sunnee gave Evan an awkward smile. Good thing Dylan is not with her, or he doesn't know how he would react. "It's all right." she said. 

 

Then, Wayne walked up to her. "Come on, Sunnee. Join us with our celebration. You're part of the reason our team won." he said. Then, Diana walked up to her. "And a little thank you for helping me with Dylan. I know he'll be scared of you." she said as  she smiled at her.  Sunnee scratched her head. "Don't mention it." she said shyly. 

 

Then, she went to her seat, and took her bag. Wayne was surprised with what she did. "Sunnee, are you leaving? I thought we'll go to the comic store together?" Wayne asked her as she walked towards the door. Sunnee paused, then looked at him. "I'm sorry, P'Wayne. I forgot I had other plans today." she said. "Well then, take care all right?" he said. Sunnee nodded his head, and rushed out of the classroom. Wayne was left wondering why Sunnee suddenly changed. 

 

Meanwhile, Dylan was waiting at the school gate. He looked at his watch, and then let out a sigh. "What's taking her so long?" he thought. He's getting worried, as Sunnee has still not arrived. "Raccoon!" he heard someone call. He looked back, and saw Sunnee rushing up to him. He let out a smile. He's finally relieved that Sunnee is with him. 

 

"Sorry, I got held up at the classroom." Sunnee bowed before him. Dylan pinched her cheek as she stood up to face him. "You made me worry. One more minute that you're not here, I would have barged to your classroom." he told her. Sunnee pouted. "You don't have to do that." she said. "So, what took you so long?" Dylan asked. "There was a celebration at the classroom. They wanted me to join."

"Then why didn't you join them?"

"You're waiting for me. And, I have a little celebration with you, right?"

 

Sunnee's cheeks turned pink, as she held his hand. Dylan blushed as well. "I guess this celebration is more important for you." he said. Sunnee nodded her head. He looked lovingly at her as he squeezed her hand. Then, he let out a faint  laugh. "Why are you laughing?" she asked. "Sorry, I'm too happy today. I can't believe you're mine." he said. "Me too. I can't believe I found my Raccoon. " Sunnee said. "Then, let's go?" Dylan asked. Sunnee nodded her hand. Together, they walked out of the school while holding hands. 

 

--

 

Chun was outside the house, playing the guitar. It's been hours since Ella left, and still, she had not returned. "Where could she be?" he thought as he strummed the guitar. Lately, he noticed Ella had been going out. He's getting a little bit worried and suspicious. "Is she secretly seeing Sphinx? But Sphinx is already married. Or is she secretly seeing that Calvin guy?" he thought. Then, he let out a sigh. "I should probably follow her next time she goes out. But she might get mad at me." he said to himself. 

 

Soon after, Wes and Sylvia came home. "Chun ge!" Sylvia shouted as she ran towards him. He looked at the two, and smiled at them. "Welcome home!" he said. He looked at Wes, and smiled meaningfully at him. Sylvia sat beside Chun, and Wes sat at the other side of him. "How's school?" he asked. Sylvia let out a smile. "Tiring. It's our sportsfest today. And we won the relay event!" Sylvia said. "We also won a few games. But, we didn't won the best muse. So probably, Dylan will still bother Sunnee. But, she was really cute today." Wes said. "Then, it's good to hear." Chun said. 

 

"Ah, Chun ge, I didn't know you also play guitar?" Sylvia said. "I know how to play a little. I'm just passing time until Ella comes home." Chun told her. Wes gave him a confused look. "Where's Ella jie?" Wes asked. "Well, Ella jie said she's visiting an important friend today." Sylvia told Wes. 

 

Chun stared at Sylvia's house as he thinks. "Who is that important friend? Is it Sphinx?" he thought. "But didn't she visit her friend yesterday as well?" Wes asked. Sylvia nodded his head. "Why would she visit that friend so often?" Chun asked. Then, he let out a sigh. "Chun ge, are you all right?" Sylvia asked him. Chun looked at her, and smiled. "I'm all right. Anyway, I made some apple pie for you and Ella. I left it inside your house." Chun said. 

 

Sylvia nodded her head. Then, she stood up. "Then, I'll have some snacks first inside. Zheng, do you want to join me?" Sylvia asked him. Wes smiled as he shook his head. "No, I think I'll accompany Chun ge first." Wes told her. "Then, I'll see you later!" Sylvia smiled before she went inside her house. 

 

"I can hear your heart beating fast." Chun teased Wes. Wes gave Chun a mortified look. "Chun ge!" Wes shouted. Chun could only laugh at his reaction. "I've been trying my best to be normal around her. I just can't seem to do that..." Wes confessed as he sulked. "When you're in love with a friend, nothing can be normal anymore. You know why? Because you're seeing your friend in a different light." Chun said. Wes let out a sigh. 

 

"You and Ella jie... you two started out as friends?" Wes asked. Chun let out a laugh as he shook his head. "You would never believe how we started." he said. Wes gave him a confused look. "We hated each other since kindergarten." Chun said. Wes was surprised by his revelation. "Really? Then... then how come you got together and got married?" Wes asked him.

 

Chun hugged the guitar, as he began to tell Wes their love story. "We teamed up when we found that the love of our lives are falling in love with each other. That time, Ella was madly in love with her best friend, Sphinx. And I was in love with my senior, Bianca." Chun began to tell. Then, he looked at Wes, and smiled. "Just like you." Chun added. Wes could only scratch his head.

 

"So we did everything to stop the two of them from getting together. We even pretended to be a couple so they would get jealous. But in the end we failed. Then, her groovy grandpa came home so that she could meet the guy he arranged for her to marry. Same with me. My grandma came to find me so that she could ask me to marry the granddaughter of her ex-boyfriend. So, we have to pretend to be together again. Then, we found out I was the guy her groovy grandpa wanted her to marry, and she was the girl my grandma is talking about. We continued to pretend to be boyfriend and girlfriend, since we already lied anyway, and to appease our elders. Until one day, we both realized that we're in love with each other. We got together for a while. But then, we had a misunderstanding that caused up to be separated. Eventually, we got back together, and  I immediately asked her to marry me." Chun said. 

 

"That was a romantic story!"

 

Sylvia said as she popped up in front of them. Both Chun and Wes almost jumped from their seats because of surprise. "Sylvia?!" Chun said. "W-when did you start listening to our conversation?" Wes asked. He was scared that she heard Chun's comment about him and her. "From the time Chun ge was telling you about that they pretended to be together to get away from the arranged marriage." Sylvia explained. Wes let out a sigh of relief. He thought she heard about Chun commenting how Ella's story was almost the same as his. 

 

Then, Sylvia sat beside Chun. "But, Ella jie told me before that she's in love with her best friend. Is that true, Chun ge?" Sylvia asked. Wes felt like he choked, and coughed hard. Chun could only snicker at him. Sylvia looked at them with confusion in her face. "Yes, she used to be in love with her best friend. Just like someone I know." Chun said as he stole a glance at Wes. Wes let out another cough. 

 

Then, Wes stood up. "You know what, I forgot we need to do something. Right, Chun ge?" Wes said as he glared at Chun. Chun couldn't contain himself, laughed out loud. "All right. Let's go back inside." Chun said. "But Chun ge, who is that someone you know that's in love with a friend?" Sylvia asked. Chun looked at Wes, then back at him. "Oh, not someone you know. Just a younger friend, who's like a brother to me." he said. He winked at Sylvia before Wes dragged him inside the house. 

 

--

 

"Sylvia, what do you want for dinner?" Sylvia heard Ella as soon as Ella entered the house. "Anything will do, Ella jie." Sylvia told her. "Then, pork chops would be fine?" Ella asked her. Sylvia smiled, and nodded her head. 

 

Ella went to the kitchen and began to prepare their dinner. Sylvia then followed her. "Ella jie, you know I heard Chun ge telling Zheng about your love story." Sylvia told her. Ella paused for a while, and then smiled. "That chicken face should tell Zheng the truth." she said. Sylvia let out a laugh. "Well, I think he did." 

"What did he say regarding our love story?"

"That your grandparents arranged you two to  be married to each other. You two had to pretend to be a couple to please your grandparents. That was the part of the story I heard."

 

Ella smiled and nodded his head. "Did he miss the part about me begging him to pretend to be my boyfriend, and him begging me to pretend to be his girlfriend?" Ella asked. Sylvia shrugged her shoulder. "I don't know." she said. 

 

Ella just let out a laugh. She remembered everything, like it just happened yesterday - how the two of them found each other again after so many years, their love-hate relationship, and how they both have fallen in love with each other. 

 

"That was the start of your story, right?" Sylvia asked her. Ella shook her head. "Remember when I told you how I fell in love with my best friend?" she asked her. Sylvia nodded her head. "The guy who didn't loved you back? You said it was a blessing in disguise because you found the right one." she said. Ella nodded her head. "Chun is the right one. The guy destiny gave me during the time I was brokenhearted." she said. 

 

Sylvia's face lightened up upon hearing that. "Then, does it mean that Chun ge's really destined for you?" she asked. "I guess so. Fei, do you know why this place is special to me? Because this is where we met again after so many years. We used to be classmates from kinder to elementary, but we never really got along. We used to fight a lot when we were younger. Then, his family migrated to Australia, then after so many years, he went back here to start his own business. You know Wes' house? Me and my cousin Selina used to live there. Then, he and his friend, Ethan lives here." Ella said. 

 

Sylvia smiled as she listened to her. "Tell me more, Ella jie!" she said. She wanted to get more information from her, so that she could help them get back together. "When we met again, we fought a lot again. We really can't see each other eye to eye. That time, I was madly in love with my best friend, and was hoping he'll ask me to be his girlfriend. But he met Chun's senior, and the two of them fell in love. Chun was also hurt because he liked his senior. We came up with a plan to separate them, and one of our stupid plans is to pretend to be together." she explained. 

 

"Then, the two of you are brokenhearted that time?" Sylvia asked. Ella nodded her head. "Then, why does history repeat itself? Years ago, you two got hurt because the people you love can't love you back. And now, you're back here in Willow street because both of you are heartbroken." Sylvia said. 

 

Ella paused for a while, then stared at Sylvia. She realized the younger girl is right. Chun came to Willow street just in time when she got broken hearted, and now they're back in the place where everything began. "Then, I guess it's fate?" Ella said. "Why do people have to get hurt over and over again?" Sylvia asked her. Ella let out a sigh as she smiled faintly at her. "Because love will always be a cycle of happiness and sadness. You will never know what happiness is until you felt what it's like to  be sad. And you wouldn't know what it's like to heal until you felt pain." Ella told her. 

 

"Then, does happy ending ever exists if love is a cycle of pain and happiness?" Sylvia asked her. "Happy ending exists, only if you accept the outcome of your decisions." Ella explained. "Then, is Chun ge your happy ending?" Sylvia asked. Ella let out a smile. "He is..." she said. "He always is my happy ending."

 

--

 

Chun was hanging out at Wes' room that afternoon. Chun was sitting on his bed, while reading a book, while Wes is staring at the computer. The whole time, Chun noticed that Wes is in deep thoughts. "Hey, stop overthinking." Chun told him as he threw a pillow at him. Wes looked at the older guy, and and let out a sigh. 

 

"Are you thinking about her?" Chun asked. "I'm not thinking of Sylvia!" Wes said defensively. Chun let out a laugh. "I didn't say a name, and yet you speak of hers. My boy, you're really in love." Chun told her. Wes let out another sigh. 

 

"Chun ge, when you realized you love Ella jie, what did you do?" Wes asked. Chun paused, and thought for a while. "I gave her cookies." Chun said. "Aside from that?" he asked. "When I'm really sure about my feelings, and when I can no longer control my feelings, I confessed my love to her." Chun said. 

 

Wes let out another sigh. "I'm getting worse..." he admitted to him. Chun gave him a confused look. "I'm trying my best to act normal towards her, but..."

"I told you, when you're in love with someone, you just can't be contented being friends with them." 

"But what should I do?"

"Act according to your feelings." 

 

Chun stood up from the bed, and walked towards him. "If you think you can no longer hide your love for her, then let it show." he said. Wes gave him a hesitant look. "But, wouldn't it be awkward?" he asked. "Then, do it in small ways. Like walking her home, carrying her bag, buying her something to eat. You can smile at her all the time." Chun suggested. "Wouldn't I look stupid if I smile all the time?" Wes asked. Chun could feel his vein popping in his head the more they talked about it. 

 

"You said you had a girlfriend before?" Chun asked as he sat back on the bed. Wes nodded his head. "How did you act on your feelings for her before?" Chun asked. "I don't know... she was the one who initiated everything anyway." Wes told him. "You mean to say, the girl made the first move on you?" Chun asked Wes nodded his head. "She was older than me, and I was the innocent guy back then." Wes said. Chun let out another laugh. 

 

"OK, how about this. Make her feel special in every way you could. Start to treat her like a girlfriend, not a sister. Treat her like how a prince would treat a princess. Ask her out on a date, just the two of you. Then, maybe she could also see you in a different light, and not just as a big brother. Then, when the time is right, you can confess your love for her." Chun told her. When he looked at him, he saw him writing all the things he is saying on a notebook. Chun just laughed at him. 

 

Maybe, one of the reasons he met Wes, is to help him win the heart of the girl he likes.