Demeter’s Desperation

The Fruit of Love and Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Love?!” Nayeon bellowed. “Love?! And you heard those exact words coming from my daughter’s mouth? Those exact words that you just told me?”


Tzuyu nodded. “‘Before I fell in love with you...dummy,’ were her exact words to Dahyun.”


Nayeon started pacing back and forth in the Olympus hall. “In such a short amount of time, how can that be?”


“Time doesn’t determine love. One can’t help oneself when it hits them.”


The mother shook her head repeatedly, unable to grasp the fact that Dahyun had captivated Sana’s heart in the course of time that she was unable to be with her. Nayeon rambled on to herself, continuing to think of plans that could sabotage their relationship.


“When are you going to learn to accept it? There’s really nothing you can do,” Tzuyu said. 


“There has to be. She doesn’t belong there, she belongs with me!” Nayeon pointed to herself with great conviction. 


Tzuyu realized that there was no arguing with the goddess, as she was set in mind that Sana could be reasoned with in matters of the heart. The messenger felt pity on her, because she presumed that there was no changing Sana’s mind. A young goddess’ heart could not be easily moved, and with someone as young as her, a stubborn mind was expected.


The goddess sighed and left Nayeon to mumble to herself alone. 


There were minimal things that can move Jihyo from her thoughts and opinions, situations that even those goddesses on par with her powers couldn’t even sway her. There was only one woman that was capable of the slightest persuasion, and that was the goddess of harvest Nayeon. For hundreds of years, the goddess proved to be unable to disobey her. However, in those moments in which Nayeon would ask something of Jihyo, they were simply trivial ones that didn’t concern the entirety of Olympus. 


The first ever request Nayeon asked that became such a difficulty for Jihyo was the fight she wanted her to take on with the goddess of the Underworld. To fight for our daughter, was her sole reasoning. Nayeon was so desperate that she asked for the impossible.


“There is no way that I am undertaking such a task,” Jihyo said without hesitation upon hearing her request. She told her that if a fight were to occur between her and Dahyun, humans would suffer in the aftermath. The destruction of the world could very well be the outcome of such a brawl. “Furthermore,” Jihyo said. “I would be fighting for something that generally belongs to Dahyun. I doubt she would stand down and let us take something that’s hers.”


“Sana is my daughter.”


“As well as her wife. The bonds of marriage cannot be broken easily.”


“Neither is the bond of family. I’m not letting my only daughter go.” Nayeon sat down and pondered on her own. After a moment, she softly said, “You wouldn’t understand because you have many children, and you don’t even bother to spend time with any one of them. So for once, why don’t you be a parent and protect your own child.”


Jihyo had nothing to say in the form of defense, therefore she merely sighed and left the room. Thinking that perhaps a quiet time for herself would ease the burden of Nayeon’s words, the queen of the gods took a stroll outside of Olympus. 

 

 

 

~
Dahyun smiled as she watched Sana take an attempt in playing the lyre. The bright goddess had found it in the depths of her belongings and was shocked at the fact that Dahyun forgot to mention that she played. 


Dubu taught a few basic melodies for Sana to play. However, it was the first ever that the young goddess had handled such an instrument and therefore ended up plucking the string the wrong way, which produced a sound that was quite painful to the ears. Dahyun cringed and laughed out loud. 


“Jeez, don’t laugh,” Sana pouted, her squishy cheeks protruding slightly. 


“Sorry, sorry.” Dahyun controlled herself from further laughter. “It was fine for a newbie. Keep going,” she encouraged her. 


Even for someone who had never taken a serious endeavor in learning a single instrument, Sana held the lyre as if she was an experienced player. Her posture, the way she moved her hands, and the look she gave off were quite exquisite, it left Dahyun completely mesmerized for the short moment she prepared herself until she strung the first chord. It was when she actually started playing that made it blatantly obvious she had never played in her life. 


Sana turned to Dahyun in embarrassment and gave a slight giggle. “Mind showing me again?”


The Underworld goddess got up from her seat and went behind Sana. Dahyun leaned over her shoulder and positioned her hands around her wrists. “I’ll move for you and all you have to do is strum okay?”


Sana nodded, and Dahyun started to move her hands from one string to the other, producing a somewhat harmonious sound. Sana didn’t resist as she let her take control of her arms. It was as if her power was taking over her movements, and yet the gentle way the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter