Pomegranate

The Fruit of Love and Death
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Much to her surprise, Nayeon agreed to extend the days of Sana’s stay in the Underworld, but to a condition that Dahyun never set foot on earth again unless otherwise needed. The request wasn’t much of a hardship for her as the goddess rarely felt the need to leave the Underworld in the first place. Too much work was needed to be done in her realm that she couldn’t possibly find the time to stray from it.


The goddess was determined to make the best of the time she had left with Sana, and therefore made an effort to entertain the young goddess. The two would often spend their time together in the House, telling stories from before they were acquainted and how they felt about certain things.


Dahyun found it easy to confide in Sana. The young goddess listened with such intentness and care that most days she ended up telling her more than she wanted to. Dahyun felt at ease conversing with the woman, more so than she ever felt when sharing her feelings to her sisters. As a matter of fact, Dahyun rarely confided in Jihyo or Jeongyeon. Her two older siblings felt like they were in a different world than her, a place where she didn’t conform, a world she had nothing to do with. So no one could blame her for spilling her heart to the goddess of spring. 


“I didn’t like the fact that I ended up here,” Dahyun gestured around her, referring to the Underworld itself. “It was pure chance that I happened to pick this place to rule over, but I suppose it suits me more than my sisters.”


Sana shook her head, “Don’t say that. This place forced you to be how you are now. You could just as easily be the goddess of the sea if you wanted to.”


“But because of my role, I am feared everywhere I went. Not even my servants here preferred the idea of being ruled by a goddess like me.” Dubu sighed and looked down at her hands that were constantly emitting a dark aura.


The young goddess took hold of her hand, “Stop saying that as if you are some sort of evil being, because you’re not. No one may recognize the kindness in you, but I see it. I see who you are, and you’re more than just the goddess of the dead. You’re someone who has fears even as someone who supposedly embodies it; you’re scared of being on your own, you’re scared of dogs, and you’re scared of getting too close to someone.”


Dahyun looked up at her touch and gazed into her eyes, her heart beating louder and louder every passing second Sana’s hand held hers. The angel, quickly realizing the length of their touch, pulled her hand back. 


“Are you unhappy here?” Sana asked.


The goddess of the dead turned away. “My happiness does not matter at this point. Someone has to rule this world, therefore I must remain in my position, not taking into account whether I’m unhappy or not.” She looked out into the distance, as if thinking of some far away memory, “But it would’ve been nice if someone cared enough to stay with me. Then maybe, just maybe, I wouldn’t feel so distant from social interaction.”


“Is that why you took me here? To fill that gap in your heart?”


The tofu paused for a moment before slightly nodding her head.


“Why did you choose me? You mentioned a while back that it wasn’t just my appearance that motivated you to go through the lengths of bringing me here. So why?”


Dahyun slightly blushed at the thought of having to explain her feelings to the woman she loved. “I barely know myself to be perfectly honest. I can’t explain it, and even if I can, the words will come out in jumbles. I think someone who has truly experienced it will understand. I don’t know if it was out of pure loneliness that forced me to go through such measures, but I felt that when I saw you among those flowers, I had to make you mine.”


“I understand that you’re lonely, but forcing someone doesn’t make it right. Everyone deserves to have a choice where they want to be. As a goddess of fair judgement of the dead, you should’ve given me a fair chance to decide.” Sana’s voice was soft that it evoked no hint of anger. The way she spoke seemed to have moved Dahyun’s heart.


Dahyun took a deep breath, “I know. And that’s why I’m letting you go.”


Sana sat up in surprise. She didn’t expect such words from this goddess’ mouth; she never thought she would. Dahyun seemed adamant to keep her there, and so Sana had given up on trying to convince her to set her free. “Really?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter