Chapter Four

A Spoonful of Sugar

After class finally ended, Hanbin trudged out of the room, feeling drained from the intense lecturing his professor blasted through. Only the miserable faces of his fellow students kept him from feeling like an idiot for not catching every word during class.

He groaned out loud, wiping a hand over his face and walking to the school entrance to go to the bus. “I’m literally going to die in that class,” he muttered out loud to himself, slumping down further as his homework seemed to weigh his backpack down with every step he took.

“Don’t die before our date,” Bobby’s voice popped up next to him and Hanbin jumped, heart skipping a beat and hand slapped over his mouth to muffle his scream of fear.

“Bobby-hyung!” He stared at the older male with wide eyes. “What are you doing here?” Bobby grinned, left hand shoved into his jeans pocket and swinging his right arm over Hanbin’s shoulders to pull him closer.

“Did you forget I was coming to pick you up?” Bobby asked in mock disappointment, pouting dramatically for show. “I’ll be really hurt if you did.”

“Oh!” Hanbin gasped, snapping his fingers in realization. “I did remember,” he reassured him, “class just messed with my mind a bit.” Bobby shook his head, using his arm to pull Hanbin towards the street where a fancy Mercedes was docked at the curb, passing students looking at it with awe and admiration.

“C’mon. I’ll bring you on the best date to wipe away your memories of that class.” Bobby opened the passenger door for Hanbin and waited for him to get in, winking as he shut it.

Getting into the driver’s seat, he revved the engine before driving off, letting Hanbin explore the interior of the car without interrupting him. Hanbin felt up the leathers seats, breathing in the air of a luxury vehicle. Everything was bright and shiny and the seat covers most likely cost more than his entire tuition ten times over.

He belatedly realized Bobby was staring at him in amusement and flushed, grinning sheepishly over. “Sorry about that, hyung,” he apologized. “I didn’t mean to ignore you.”

Bobby shrugged. “I don’t mind a cute boy looking at my assets.” He grinned mischievously and leered at Hanbin when he registered the innuendo.

“Bobby-hyung!” Hanbin looked scandalized, bright flush spreading across his skin. He huffed out a laugh, shaking his head. “Where are we going?”

Bobby put a single finger to his lip. “It’s a secret.” He teased, bunny teeth popping out cutely. He ignored Hanbin’s pleading and continued driving, passing by the busy streets and into a higher class area, where only the richest could go without looking foolish.

Hanbin looked around nervously. “Hyung,” he started hesitantly, “I’m not nearly dressed well enough for this.” He tugged his cardigan self-consciously and eyed the pristine glass and marble buildings with apprehension.

Bobby scoffed. “Please,” he said, “you look more amazing than anyone we’re gonna encounter today.” He reached over to grab Hanbin’s hand, squeezing it in reassurance. “Besides,” he added, “I’m less dressed than you and no one will say a word to us.”

That might have been true, but Bobby still looked like a billion bucks. He came to Hanbin dressed in dark, fitting jeans with a white button up that stretched across his muscles, the top two buttons undone to show off his defined collarbone and the beginnings of sharp muscle.

“And yet you still look unfairly hot,” Hanbin complained, even as his eyes lingered over Bobby’s body in appreciation.

“And you look unfairly pretty,” Bobby shot back flippantly, pulling into a parking lot of a building before turning off the car and getting out. Before Hanbin could open his door, Bobby was already there doing it for him.

He got out and lifted an eyebrow. “You don’t have to treat me like a girl,” he informed him, still smiling in thanks as Bobby shut the door behind him and locked the car.

“I want to take care of you,” Bobby said, slipping an arm around Hanbin’s waist and walking them into the building. “Can I?”

Hanbin looked at his earnest eyes and nodded in defeat. Might as well enjoy the sweet treatment. “I suppose I’ll allow it,” Hanbin grinned.

Laughing softly, Bobby walked them to the hostess stand. “Welcome to La Bellê, gentlemen,” the hostess greeted, smile polite and bright. “How can I help you?”

“Reservation for Bobby,” he answered her, and she responded quickly, straightening up and smile turning sweet.

“We have your table ready, Mr. Kim,” she chirped, leading them to a private room near the back, opening the door and ushering them inside. Hanbin gasped, gazing around the spacious area. There were large windows all along one side, with the most amazing view of the river glittering in front of them. A small white round table sat near the middle, white cloth drapes over it and a rose carefully placed off to the side.

As they sat down, the hostess said, “Your server will be with you in just a moment.” Bobby waved her off and she walked away, closing the door behind her gently.

“This place is absolutely gorgeous,” Hanbin told Bobby reverently. He felt so under-classed here, but Bobby eased his worries.

“Fitting for someone just as gorgeous then,” Bobby said, reaching over the table to clasped their hands together. 
Hanbin laughed, flustered at the barrage of compliments that seemed to be flowing out of Bobby. The waitress entered the room and Bobby straightened up with a charming grin, leaving Hanbin stare at their intertwined hands shyly.


-


The date went fantastically, Hanbin honestly couldn’t believe someone as lauded as Bobby could be so down to earth and kind.

“You’re a lot different than how I expected,” Hanbin said in a lull of conversation. Bobby smiled and cocked his head.

“How so?” He asked, a glint in his eyes already telling Hanbin he knew what he meant, but still wanted him to say it.

Hanbin gave him a wry smile. “Well, for one thing, you’re not a completely arrogant douche. You’re… really sweet.” He stopped himself from continuing on, compliments stuck on his tongue as Bobby ducked his head down sheepishly.

“I didn’t come from old money,” Bobby replied back, thumb absentmindedly rubbing circles on Hanbin’s hand. “My dad worked for what we got and I worked hard to keep his dream going.”

“And you’ve done an amazing job,” Hanbin reassured him in a soft voice. Bobby really was incredible, he thought to himself, unknowingly smiling at him with fondness.

Bobby flushed, eyes flickering away. “Thank you,” he coughed. Clearing his throat, Bobby put on a bright smile and met Hanbin’s eyes.

“I have a reason I brought you here, aside from wanting to spend more time getting to know you.” Bobby winked at Hanbin before his face smoothed out to something more serious.

“There’s an event coming up pretty soon that I attend annually, and I wanted to ask you if you would be my date to it.” Seeing the uneasy look on Hanbin’s face, Bobby rushed to add, “You’re under no obligation to say yes. We’ve only known each other for such a short time.”

Hanbin chewed on his lip, nervously squeezing Bobby’s hand as he contemplated on whether or not to go. On one hand, he didn’t want to hurt Bobby’s reputation that he worked so hard to obtain, but on the other hand… he really liked Bobby – probably more than he should have, when he knew this arrangement between them wasn’t as much personal than it was for beneficial gain.

Realizing that made his chest hurt and Hanbin frowned, reaching his free hand up to massage over his heart. “Hey,” Bobby’s voice broke through Hanbin’s conflicted thoughts and he looked up into Bobby’s concerned face.

“If you’re not comfortable, you don’t have to say yes. I’ll understand, I promise.” Seeing his endlessly kind eyes helped Hanbin make his choice.

Nodding determinedly, he said, “I’ll go.” Bobby looked surprised and then concerned. Before he could even get the words out, Hanbin continued, “I know I don’t have to, but I want to. I swear.”

A bright smile crept up Bobby’s lips and his eyes crinkled shut, bunny teeth jutting out in a show of genuine joy. “Thank you so much, Bin,” Bobby lifted their intertwined hands up and kissed the back of Hanbin’s hand.

Hanbin’s breath caught and he felt his heart involuntarily skip a beat at the affectionate gesture. Uh oh.

He was in so much trouble.