Chapter Three

A Spoonful of Sugar

The first gift came the day after Hanbin’s meeting with Bobby. He’d been lounging on the couch with Junhoe watching an old rerun when someone knocked on their door.

They both froze, looking at each other in question. “Did you invite someone over?” Hanbin whispered.

Junhoe shook his head. “No. Who could it be?” The both of them had worried expressions on their faces, Hanbin almost laughing at the comical sight of two grown men cowering on the couch at the thought of human interaction.

“I’ll get it,” he sighed out, getting up and jogging to the door before opening it and peeking outside.

A delivery boy held a box in his hands, lighting up when he spotted Hanbin. “Is this the residence of Kim Hanbin?” He asked, checking his machine and the box to make sure he was at the right place.

“That’s me,” Hanbin replied hesitantly, wondering who would send him something.

“I have a package from a Mr. Kim Jiwon.” He handed the box to a stunned Hanbin before holding out a device. “Just sign here and I’ll be on my way!”

Hanbin took the pen in a daze and signed his name, shutting the door and hurriedly shuffling back to Junhoe. “Bobby sent me something,” he said before Junhoe could ask.

The other grinned, lighting up like a kid on Christmas. “What is it?” He made grabbing motions and Hanbin swatted his hands away as he sat down next to him again.

He ran his fingers over the cardboard and peeled off the tape, opening it up. “Oh my god,” Hanbin breathed out, reaching inside to take out brand new textbooks. “He bought me the textbooks I needed for class. All new and expensive.”

A note fluttered out and he picked it up, smoothing the paper out and reading it out loud. “‘The books your professor is making your class buy. You were talking a lot about it last night. Enjoy.’ Winky face.” Hanbin snorted, unable to keep the thankful grin off his face.

He could already feel his bank account crying in happiness.

“Bobby really likes the winky face,” Junhoe laughed, peeking over Hanbin’s shoulder to read the note at his own pace. Hanbin hummed in agreement, folding the piece of paper neatly and tucking it away in his wallet for safe keeping.

“It’s cute,” he replied, unlocking his phone to send Bobby a text.


~

Hanbin: I owe you my life

Bobby: How about you owe me a date instead? Tomorrow at 12. I’ll pick you up for lunch at your uni ;)

Hanbin: I’ll be waiting.

~


“Damn, he’s got game,” Hanbin jumped at the sound of Junhoe’s voice. He had completely forgotten his best friend was still there, too busy grinning at Bobby’s texts.

“He does,” Hanbin replied in amusement before frowning. “But what am I going to wear?”

Junhoe rolled his eyes. “Don’t overreact again. You can borrow another one of my outfits until Bobby buys you your own.”

He added as an afterthought. “You guys will probably go shopping tomorrow anyways. There’s a function on Saturday and I’m going as Donghyuk’s date, so you’ll be Bobby’s.”

“Isn’t that moving a bit fast?” Hanbin fretted, turning his phone around in his grip over and over again until Junhoe gently thumped him on the back.

“Maybe, but Bobby’s a good guy. Don’t worry so much about it.” Hanbin nodded, deciding to trust in Junhoe’s words.


-


The next day, Hanbin dressed in a simple white shirt with a pink cardigan on top, light blue jeans, and converse. Junhoe said it made him look soft, and he finished it off by letting his hair fall down his face innocently.

“You look good,” Junhoe nodded and patted Hanbin on the back before sending him out the door to school. Lucky jerk didn’t have class today and was getting ready for his weekly date with Donghyuk.

Hanbin walked to the bus stop, rubbing his arms as the cold seeped through his thin top. He huffed out and watched his breath form in the air. “I definitely should’ve worn something thicker,” he muttered underneath his breath.

“Yeah, you should have! It’s almost winter and you’re wearing a cardigan,” a voice spoke up next to him and Hanbin jumped, turning his head to blink at the speaker. His face lit up in a smile as he registered his friend, Jinhwan, staring at him with an unimpressed look on his face.

“Jinhwan!” Hanbin greeted, huddling closer and pressing their shoulders together. “I haven’t seen you since last week!”

Jinhwan sighed and leaned into Hanbin, hands tucked into the pockets of his thick jacket. “Had some family issues back in Jeju that finally got resolved. I’ve been doing what homework I could, but it’s going to be hell to catch up.”

Hanbin made a noise of sympathy. “I can help out if you need me to?” Though they were in different majors, with Hanbin in psychology and Jinhwan in business, Hanbin liked Jinhwan a lot and wanted him to be less stressed.

Jinhwan sent Hanbin an appreciative smile and said, “I will if I need to.” Face becoming more mischievous, he gently bumped against Hanbin as they boarded the bus that finally arrived. “So,” he started, “why are you dressed up so nice in such cold weather? Got someone to impress?”

Hanbin blushed, laughing in slight embarrassment. “Maybe,” he said, avoiding Jinhwan inquiring gaze.

“Who?” Jinhwan asked, eyes lighting up. “Who finally got the notoriously indifferent Hanbin to agree to a date?”

Hanbin shoved Jinhwan. “I’m not indifferent!” He protested half-heartedly. “I just didn’t have time because of classes!”

Jinhwan scoffed, waving off his explanation. “Semantics,” he replied. “So, who’s the lucky one?” Hanbin fiddled with his cardigan, tugging lightly at the material as he answered.

“An older guy. His name’s Kim Jiwon, but everyone calls him Bobby.” Jinhwan went still next to him and Hanbin looked over, confused at the stunned expression on Jinhwan’s face.

“What’s wrong?” Hanbin asked in worry. Jinhwan looked at him incredulously.

“What do you mean what’s wr–,” Jinhwan cut himself off before exclaiming, “Hanbin, that’s one of the youngest billionaires in the world and you just casually said you’re going on a date with the guy!”

Hanbin blinked. “He’s that rich? Huh.” Inside Hanbin was screaming. He didn’t know Bobby was that important, and the weight of the function increased. He’d feel incredibly guilty if he accidentally did anything to ruin Bobby’s prestigious reputation.

He also made a mental note to knock Junhoe over the head for leaving out this bit of information. And Donghyuk too, since they only shared one singular brain cell between the two.

“That’s all you have to say?!” Jinhwan looked absolutely bewildered at how flippant Hanbin seemed. He opened his mouth to keep talking when the bus came to a stop outside Hanbin’s class building. “We’ll continue this conversation another time, young man!” He called out after Hanbin as the younger got off the bus.

Hanbin laughed, waving at his friend before sprinting into the building.