Chapter One

A Spoonful of Sugar

Junhoe came into his shared apartment with Hanbin and paused, staring at his best friend face-planted on the floor and groaning.

He stepped over Hanbin and sat down on the sofa, nudging him softly. “What are you doing?” He asked in mild curiosity, though he already had a guess. There was only one thing that could turn Hanbin into a zombie. 

School. The evil, four year long prison to get a degree. Hanbin, training to be an industrial-organizational psychologist, had it hard with the multiple textbooks his class required him to buy. 

Junhoe heard enough complaints to know that it emptied out Hanbin’s already drained bank account. 

Hanbin finally answered, voice the epitome of misery. “My professor’s making us buy another textbook because apparently she just noticed the one we have now is outdated.” He turned over onto his back and peered up at his younger friend, eyes defeated as Junhoe made a sympathetic noise. 

“What do I do?” He nearly wailed, burying his face into Junhoe’s legs and flailing around in a pseudo-tantrum. 

“Well, you could finally take up my suggestion and get a sugar parent like I did.” Hanbin stopped, pulling back to look him closer and taking in his new watch that probably cost more than their entire tuition combined, the plumpness of his cheeks, and his glowing skin. 

He almost found himself being tempted to take up the offer. “But how would I even find one?” He asked, biting his lip and twisting his fingers in Junhoe’s pants (he absentmindedly noted that they were a pair he had never seen before, still crisp and made of expensive cloth).

In response, Junhoe brightened up. “My sugar parent, Donghyuk, has a rich friend looking to sponsor someone.” He poked Hanbin on the forehead and the older boy hummed in response. 

Junhoe met Donghyuk almost a year ago, but he refused to tell Hanbin how, though Hanbin could deduce it was most likely in a club. Junhoe, a big partier, suddenly stopping after meeting Donghyuk? Suspicious. 

A thought hit him. “Why don’t you call Donghyuk your sugar daddy?” Hanbin asked in curiosity, watching a devious smirk cross his friend’s face. 

“Because he’s not the one getting called ‘daddy’ in our relationship.” A lecherous wink and Hanbin fake-gagged. He forgot Junhoe and Donghyuk were flirting around with each other, they had been for a while now and he wondered when they were finally going to make it official. 

“Anyways,” he said in disgust, “is his friend a good person? I don’t want to get involved with some old man with ulterior motives.” 

Junhoe waved his hand dismissively. “Donghyuk’s best friends with the dude, so I’m pretty sure he’s a decent guy. He’s 27, only two years older than him and five years older than you. His name’s Jiwon, but most people call him Bobby since he lived in the U.S for while.”

He saw Hanbin cracking down and added slyly, “I’ve seen pictures and, well, the dude’s your ideal type to the T. Sharpest jawline I’ve ever seen, looks like he could benchpress fifteen of you, and his face is pretty good.”

Hanbin felt himself waver and gave in before his more logical side took over. “Fine,” he said quickly. “I’ll do it. When can I meet him?”

Junhoe cheered and took out his phone, the latest Samsung, Hanbin noted with envy. Donghyuk really spoiled the little er. “Hm, Dong said you can meet him the next time we go on a date. Which is in two days.”

Hanbin scrambled up from the ground in a panic. “That’s too soon,” he cried out, smacking Junhoe on the shoulder and ignoring his yelp of pain. “What am I going to wear? What do I say?”

Junhoe stood up and gripped his shoulders tightly. He bent down to stare Hanbin in the eyes and said, “Calm. Down. I’ll help you with your outfit. Just act like your natural, cute self and he’ll definitely be wrapped around your fingers in no time.”

He was so taken aback at the rare and genuine compliment from his taller friend that he paused, nerves stilling.

“Um, thanks,” he replied faintly. Junhoe smiled and patted him before yawning, turning around to go to his room. 

“I’m tired and it’s a Friday,” he called back. “Get some rest and we’ll meet them for lunch on Sunday.”

“Okay,” Hanbin agreed, sighing as he patted his heart to settle his nerves. This was fine. All he had to do was act natural and charm the guy. 

He could do this.