2.

Freaking Out The Neighbourhood

The music was so loud it was making the windows rattle.

Solji curled up under the covers, letting out a frustrated groan. Hyojin and her friends had been partying for hours now and she was just trying to get some sleep.

There were a few screams, followed by laughter.

Solji sat up, realising she wasn't going to get any sleep.

She went over to the window to see what was going on. She recognised Hani running around outside with another girl, and they both had water guns. Hyojin was stood on her porch, smoking and laughing with a few other people. Solji decided she could perhaps ask Hyojin to keep it down. She seemed nice enough anyway.

So she put on a hoodie and some shorts before venturing outside into the dark, approaching Hyojin on the porch.

"Hey, Hyojin... Could you perhaps keep it down?" Solji asked.

Hyojin stared at Solji for a moment before shrugging. "I guess so." She turned to someone else and told them to turn the music down and they disappeared inside.

"Should we go inside?" Someone asked Hyojin. Hyojin nodded. The crowd on the porch disappeared inside.

"Hani, Junghwa! Shut the up! People are trying to sleep!" Hyojin yelled. "Have your fight somewhere else!"

The two girls running around on the grass whined, but returned to the house. Junghwa went inside. Hani stopped when she realised Solji was there.

"Hey Solji! Did you want to come in?" Hani asked.

Solji shook her head. "I have work in the morning, I can't."

"Get inside, Hani." Hyojin quickly pushed the other girl inside and closed the door before turning to Solji. "I'll keep them quiet. It'll only be for another hour or so anyway."

"Thanks, Hyojin." Solji said before she returned to her house and back to bed.

She didn't hear any more noise from next door again.

 

The two didn't have any encounters again for a few weeks. The next one happened when Hyojin was sat on her porch with Hani.

"Why do you have to smoke so much?" Hani was complaining. "You're like a chimney."

"It's a bad habit and I can't help it." Hyojin mumbled. "You're out here with me by your own will. I'm not forcing you to stay here."

The two watched as a car pulled up on the driveway next door. They watched Solji get out before going to the backseat and opening the door. A child jumped out and they went into the house together.

"...Does she have a daughter?" Hani frowned. "And she never told us?"

Hyojin shrugged. "It could be a sibling. Or some other kind of relative. Why is it always a daughter with you?"

"They looked alike!" Hani whined, flicking Hyojin's shoulder. "We're all old enough to have kids, maybe that's hers."

"You assume whatever you want. I'm assuming it's a niece or something." Hyojin said, before she got up and went inside.

An hour later, Junghwa had shown up and her and Hani were having a water fight outside. Hani was winning and Junghwa was literally drowning. Hyojin was sat on the grass, watching the two whilst listening to music. The two kept shooting their water guns at each other and Junghwa kept screaming. Hyojin looked up to see Solji and the child come out of Solji's house. Hyojin watched as they both walked off up the street together, Solji holding the tiny girl's hand tightly. Hyojin still wanted to assume that was just Solji's niece or something, but they looked very close. But it was none of Hyojin's business anyway.

Hani and Junghwa eventually ran out of water and energy so they went inside. Hyojin followed them in and once the two were clean and dry they watched a movie together before Hani and Junghwa went upstairs to sleep. Hyojin had a spare room in her house and the two often stayed and kept her company. That's what Hyojin would like to think, but she knew that Junghwa's parents wouldn't approve of what her and Hani did, and Hani's roommates would probably kick her out.

Hyojin decided to go for a walk, not wanting to listen to the strange noises coming from upstairs. She'd just began to walk down the street when she saw Solji and the child coming towards her.

"Hey, Solji." Hyojin said with a smile. "Who's this with you?"

"Hi Hyojin. This is Kyungmi." Solji said before nudging the child. "Say hi to Hyojin."

The child just looked up at Hyojin before hiding against Solji's leg.

"Hm, I wouldn't say hi to me either, I'm scary apparently." Hyojin laughed. "It was nice seeing you, anyway Solji. See you around."

And with that Hyojin walked off, now convinced that the girl was Solji's daughter. The similarities were too much. But how did Solji fail to mention she had a daughter? And why was today the first time she'd been seen?

Hyojin had a lot of questions.

 

They didn't see Solji's supposed daughter for a while after that. The next time Hyojin saw Solji, it wasn't just a casual drop in visit.

It was 4am and Hyojin was stood at her front door without her keys. She'd sworn she'd taken them out with her when she and Hani went out, but apparently she'd either lost them or locked herself out. Hyojin wasn't about to wait on her porch until the morning came, and she wasn't exactly familiar with any of her neighbours, in fact they hated her. So she found herself at Solji's house, knocking on the door. It took a minute or so but Solji eventually came.

"Hyojin? It's 4am, what are you doing?" Solji frowned, squinting at the other girl.

"I lost my keys. There's nowhere else I can go, so can I just crash on your couch? I'm drunk and tired, please." Hyojin pleaded.

Solji sighed. "Fine. I'll get you some blankets."

"You're a saint." Hyojin said as she entered.

Solji locked the door again before heading upstairs. Hyojin took off her shoes and jacket and began to settle on the couch. A minute later, Solji returned with some blankets.

"I know one is a Paw Patrol one and one's a Pororo one, but it's all I had. They're Kyungmi's." Solji said as she put them on the arm of the couch.

"I've been meaning to ask you, is she your daughter?" Hyojin sat up, looking at Solji.

Solji nodded. "But she doesn't live here. She lives with her dad. She comes to stay at the weekends. Is that all you need? Can I go back to sleep now?"

"Sure, go ahead. I'm sorry for waking you up. I'll make it up to you somehow." Hyojin said.

Solji went back upstairs and Hyojin curled up under the Paw Patrol and Pororo blankets, falling asleep quite quickly.

 

When Hyojin woke up, all she could hear was a very familiar laugh. She opened her eyes and saw Hani stood in front of her. She shot up suddenly, tugging the blankets off herself.

"Why are you laughing? What's so funny?" Hyojin glared at the other girl.

"Big tough bully Ahn Hyojin asleep under kids blankets." Hani said before bursting into laughter again.

"Shut up, ." Hyojin grumbled, hitting Hani's shoulder. "Do you have the key to my house?"

Hani nodded, pulling out Hyojin's keys and laughing again. "I stole them from you when you weren't looking!"

Hyojin was about to tackle Hani and punch her when Solji entered. She was wearing an oversized shirt and some shorts and for some reason it was only now that Hyojin had noticed how cute Solji was. And apparently she'd been staring for too long.

"Earth to Hyojin? Did you forget where you are again? We're at Solji's house, and you slept on the couch because I stole your keys." Hani spoke slowly, poking the side of Hyojin's head.

"You're an ." Hyojin growled as she snatched her keys from Hani's hands and exited quickly.

"What you mean is thanks Solji for letting me stay and thanks Hani for bringing my keys!" Hani yelled as Hyojin stormed out.

Hani was an idiot.

And Solji was really, really really, really really really, really cute.