1.

Freaking Out The Neighbourhood

"Hey, I see you're getting a new neighbour." Hani said as she flopped herself down on Hyojin's sofa.

Hyojin shrugged. "Am I?"

"Well, by the look of it, there's someone moving into the house right next door to yours." Hani said before she got up with a grunt and tugged Hyojin over to the window.

The two watched as they saw a woman, around their age or possibly a little older, unloading boxes from a truck and walking into the house next door.

"I guess I am." Hyojin frowned. "Does that mean I have to go introduce myself or whatever bull neighbours do these days?" Hyojin groaned as she returned to her seat. "I bet she'll hate me."

"Be a good neighbour, Hyojin." Hani whined as she sat back down on the sofa. "She looks nice."

"That's what you said about Junghwa when you first met her, and now look at how she is." Hyojin scoffed.

"True... But that's Junghwa, she was always... Kind of messy to begin with." Hani chuckled.

Hyojin ended up turning the television on and they watched an episode of some show on Netflix before Hani went back over to the window.

"Jeez, she's still unpacking stuff." Hani mumbled. "Maybe we should help."

Hyojin laughed. "You? Help someone? You'd probably move one box and then collapse."

"I can move boxes! Just watch me!" Hani grumbled as she put her shoes on and ran outside, straight to the woman.

Hyojin got up to watch in the window. She couldn't quite tell what they were saying, but the woman accepted Hani's help anyway and Hyojin watched as Hani dashed from the truck to the house several times before stopping at the truck for a minute, a hot mess. That was when Hyojin decided to move out onto the porch to watch. She grabbed her lighter and a cigarette before she went out and sat on the chair she kept out there specifically for watching the street whilst smoking. She lit her cigarette and hummed quietly. It wasn't long before Hani noticed her.

"I told you I could move a ton of boxes!" Hani yelled. "More than you!"

"Sure, whatever, but you're literally about to collapse now, and I could've done way more than that!" Hyojin yelled back before laughing as Hani suddenly shot up again, grabbing another box and running off into the house with it. She did this about five times before the woman came out of the house again.

"Hey, you don't need to bring all of them, it's okay, I can get more, don't tire yourself out." Hyojin heard her say.

"No! I want to help. You've been doing this by yourself for ages." Hani said, standing up straight.

"Are you sure?" The woman frowned. "Don't you want to come in for a drink? It's hot out here today."

Hani shook her head. "Drinks when I've brought it all in." And with that she continued taking boxes in along with the woman whilst  Hyojin watched on.

Eventually, they took the final boxes inside. At this point Hyojin had been inside to get a drink and had returned to her seat on the porch. She watched as the woman got in the truck and parked it on the driveway before she went inside. Hani was nowhere to be seen.

"..." Hyojin mumbled. "She was only supposed to be helping her move the boxes."

Hyojin sat for a moment, watching one of her neighbours from across the street return home with their children, before she got up and went inside. She was twenty minutes into another episode of Orange Is The New Black when someone knocked on the door. She grumbled, pausing it and reluctantly dragged herself off the couch and to the door, opening it. To her surprise, it was the woman.

"Hey, you must be Hyojin, right?" She asked.

"Yep, that's me." Hyojin said. "And you are?"

"Solji. Heo Solji.  I just moved in next door." The woman, Solji, said. "But you probably know that already."

Hyojin nodded. "I saw you moving in. I sent Hani to help you. I would've done the same, but heavy lifting isn't my thing anymore."

"Hani's been very helpful." Solji said with a smile. "But... The thing is, she passed out on my sofa, and... She won't wake up. But she told me about you, so that's why I'm here."

"God, she's such an idiot..." Hyojin sighed. "I'll come wake her up."

Hyojin turned off the television and grabbed her keys before heading over to Solji's house. When they got there, Hani was fast asleep on the couch.

"Hey, , wake up." Hyojin flicked Hani's forehead.

There was a groan.

"Wake the up." Hyojin grabbed Hani's shoulders and started to shake her.

Another groan.

"Junghwa's here."

Hani's eyes suddenly shot open. "Where?!"

"I lied. But you're awake now." Hyojin snorted.

Hani grumbled as she sat up, looking around. "Where are we?"

"You fell asleep on my couch." Solji said, seeming quite amused.

"Oh. Right. Wow. I'm sorry. God, I'm such an idiot. This is no way to make new friends." Hani groaned, hitting her forehead. "But anyway!" She stood up, pushing Hyojin towards Solji. "This is Hyojin! Your next door neighbour! I told you all about her!"

"We've already spoke, ." Hyojin grumbled, slapping Hani's shoulder. "Haven't you wondered how I got here?"

"...Oh yeah." Hani frowned. "But now you've met!" She turned to Solji again. "Make sure to check on Hyojin every now and again. Sometime she doesn't leave her house for days and the neighbours think she's dead. She's not dead. Obviously. But make sure you check up on her!"

"I think we should go now, you're rambling." Hyojin said as she pushed Hani over to the door. "It was nice meeting you, Solji. You know where to find me if you need anything."

"Thanks, it was nice meeting you both. I hope we'll get to talk soon." Solji said, waving to the two as they left.

 

Solji would soon realise she would be seeing a lot more of Hyojin.