Part 5

Letting Love Step Back

“Was I supposed to know?” Haechan sits on the wall the next day, staring at his feet that are lifted above the ground. Y/N had shut herself out after his question, withering like a spring flower, quickly and so fast she had stopped talking, drawing back into herself.

 

“No.” Renjun's voice is clear, his answer is clear and precise and Haechan knows that his friend knows more about Y/N, probably the reason why she had turned so quiet, too.

 

“But you're not going to tell me, right?”

 

Renjun doesn't give him an answer.

-

 

Y/N calls him the day after. Renjun is on some weird trip to the maths olympiad and Haechan can't help thinking that that is why she isn't calling her mother's best friend's son, but the strange boy who picked her up from the airport.

 

“Are you legal?”, is the first thing she speaks into the phone, sounding like a blurred image from the other side of the line. He freezes for a second, halting in his tracks in the middle of the crosswalk and seconds pass until he hears the angry honking of a car.

 

“Well, I mean-”, she corrects herself, tripping for and around the right words, like a toddler learning to make her first steps. “Do you drink beer?”

 

Haechan doesn't.