Part 2

Letting Love Step Back

It’s after 9 pm when Renjun knocks on his door.


 

He tells him the name of an obscure airport Haschan has never heard of before and takes Haechan's phone to type the name into it. It’s more than 90 minutes away and after a rough calculation Haechan comes to the conclusion that they will get back home very late. He quickly texts his mom that he’s out with a friend and then puts his phone in the little phone holder.


 

Apparently, they are going to pick up the daughter of Renjun’s mom’s best friend. Haechan is not particularly curious. He pictures something between an eleven year old brat or a university graduate in her late twenties.


 

When they stand in the arrival zone, though, he is not prepared for the gorgeous girl running to greet Renjun in a way that seems too cinematic to be real. She throws her arms around his neck and jumps into his arms, burying herself in his embrace.


 

Haechan awkwardly stands beside them. He gazes at her and swallows slightly,

quietly,

and quickly.


 

She is pretty. Not just pretty. Not the kind of clean-cut, rosy cheeks the popular girls in his school have. Her hair isn’t straight. Her legs are long and toned and she’s wearing an one piece that is too (he almost wants to say) luxurious for a simple fight.


 

She continues rubbing Renjun’s scalp with her knuckles until she notices something.


 

Someone.


 

Haechan is still standing there as if his feet had grown roots in the floor. Her eyes scan his outfit. It's an interesting ensemble consisting of swetapants and a shirt he had thrown on after hearing Renjun knocking on the door. He follows her eyes. On the blue fabric, it says “Bat Boy” featuring an image of comic hero.


 

Haechan cringes visibly, cursing himself for not getting rid of that shirt when he was in like, maybe, sixth grade. He leans from one foot to another, staring at Renjun and then back at the girl who is still eyeing him with unconcealed curiosity.


 

“I’m Y/N”, she finally says. Her voice is just like the rest of her. Low, but addictive like a song that you want to hear over and over again. Haechan hopes that he is not visibly blushing by now.


 

“Sorry for waking you up”, she says, pointing one manicured finger at his sweatpants and then she turns to look at Renjun, raising her eyebrows. “Is he your boyfriend?”