Encounter the Demon King!

My Pet Guard Snail

“Mr. Yoo, another package for you.” One of Youngjae’s employees peeked into Youngjae’s office. 

The younger was at his desk, sketching away at a possible new character for the next game he was developing. The logistics for the other game were complete so now it was up to the marketing team to deal with the publicity, which meant Youngjae was onto his next game. Daehyun was on Youngjae’s orange couch as per usual, typing away on his laptop silently. He was so quiet that at times Youngjae had forgotten the man was there so he would carelessly flop himself on the couch when he was exhausted. This often led to Youngjae staring up at a smirking Daehyun and being embarrassed as a zebra without stripes. 

“It’s from Somi!” Youngjae eyes glittered at the neatly wrapped package of home baked cookies. A small little note attached to the front of the gift. Since their first meeting at the club, Youngjae and Somi had texted each other on a nearly daily basis. It was nothing too serious or crazy of course. Youngjae found it adorable that Somi was so innocently sweet through text messages. She had been hinting for some time that she wanted to pay Youngjae back for helping her out at the club, but Youngjae had insisted that she didn't have to. He should have known something was up when she asked about his favorite cookies out of the blue.  

“The girl from the club,” Daehyun’s voice was flat, disinterested as he adjusted some files on his laptop. “You two seem to be in contact with one another fairly often.” 

“I smell jealousy~” Youngjae sing-songed. Youngjae was basking at the chance to see Daehyun even a wee bit jealous. The guard had everything going for him so he deserved some envy.  “It’s okay, since you’re a snail you don’t need a girl to like you. You can spawn mini Daehyuns.” 

“I’m not jealous. Just cautious,” Daehyun scoffed, but Youngjae definitely did not miss the slight furrow in the elder’s brows. Youngjae honestly wanted to giggle with glee. He was finally given the chance to tease Daehyun. Call the boy sadistic, but he enjoyed seeing the stoic rock grovel before him. 

“Suuuuure~” Youngjae giggled as he plopped a cookie in his mouth, the sweet chocolate melting on his lips.

“I’m serious,” Youngjae’s eyes grew wide as Daehyun’s face was suddenly in front of him, head tilted to the side as he bit into the cookie in Youngjae’s mouth. Daehyun’s muscular body leaning across Youngjae’s desk, his arms muscles taut against his usual white button up. Youngjae was so shocked, the hairs on the back of his head stood up as his cheeks turned red. Daehyun’s plump lips were still on the cookie as he stared up at Youngjae with his deep brown eyes. “You need to be careful.” Daehyun backed away with a crunch of the cookie.

“T-thanks, mom.” Youngjae hissed and turned his head to the side to hide his blush to no avail. 

“Your welcome my unruly baby chick.” Daehyun chuckled, wiping the crumbs from the corner of Youngjae’s mouth. Youngjae merely pouted and swatted Daehyun’s hand away. His eyes narrowed as he flipped Daehyun off for being the rude, handsome-um dumb….dumb he usually was. 

“All I’m hearing are rants of a jealous snail,” Youngjae sneered, going onto his phone to thank Somi for the cookies. “Speaking of jealous,” Youngjae glanced up from his phone to give Daehyun a sharp glare. “I don’t need your ‘conscious’ self third wheeling every time me and Somi hang out.”

“It’s my job to watch over you or have you forgotten?” Daehyun’s face was blank as he raised a brow. 

“She’s like 5 ft 2 in. I highly doubt she’s gonna harm me in anyway.” Youngjae rolled his eyes.

“I’m still chaperoning you.” Daehyun bluntly stated, ending any further discussion about the subject. 

“Uuuuhhhggg! You freaking killjoy! I’m not some high schooler that needs a chaperone to go on a date!”

“Date? I thought you were just ‘hanging out?’” Daehyun peered over his computer to watch as Youngjae see the error in his words, turning as red as kimchi.

“I-I mean hang out. I-I’m not saying that it would be bad if it were a date! I mean, Somi and I have hanged out and she’s cool and all and like pretty….arg! Why am I explaining myself to you!?” Youngjae threw his arms up in the air. “You’re just my bodyguard anyways! There is no need for you to intervene in my private life.”

 As the words slipped out of Youngjae’s mouth he felt the atmosphere in the room stiffen. The temperature dropping a few degrees. Youngjae glanced up to see a cold expression on Daehyun’s face. His usually plump lips forming a tight line and his eyes were dark. Daehyun frowned and placed his laptop beside him. He removed himself from the seat in silence as he got up and headed towards the door, not giving Youngjae a second glance.

“W-where are you going?” Youngjae stared at Daehyun flustered at the elder’s unusual behavior.

“I’m getting coffee. But it shouldn’t matter to you where I go. I’m just your bodyguard.” Daehyun’s voice was sharp like glass as he closed the door behind him, leaving a confused Youngjae behind.


Daehyun sighed as he stirred his cup of coffee. What he did was immature and he knew it. God, it wasn't like he was 12 or something. Throwing a fit like that. He hadn’t expected Youngjae’s words to affect him that much. What the younger said was correct: a fact. Youngjae was the client and Daehyun was the bodyguard. A work relationship. There was absolutely no need, requirement, or necessity for Youngjae to divulge his private life to Daehyun. But Daehyun wanted Youngjae to and that’s where conflict arose. His professional side told him to keep his distance. His affections for Youngjae telling him to keep the little chicklet all to himself. 

Daehyun shook his head at his petty jealousy. He already knew Somi was no threat. He had a thorough investigation done the first time Youngjae met up with her. She was from your typical Korean family, just graduated college as a finance major, and was an overall good girl. The type that Youngjae liked, the type that Youngjae saw a future with. Daehyun simply attributed his jealousy to that of losing a cute younger brother. That was the most Daehyun allowed himself to think. It was not that he was appalled by the idea of the other possibility. There were many men at his work that have male life partners. Daehyun respected it and would openly admit that he has had some male partners during his time. But Youngjae was different. This was his client and what he had thought was his friend. Youngjae wasn’t some one night stand, some quick fling. Daehyun had to draw a line. 

Daehyun pulled out his phone and dialled Yongguk’s number. During the scuffle with the guy at the club, Daehyun managed to swipe the man’s drivers license. The man had already confirmed it himself with his own words, but Daehyun had to make sure. He couldn’t risk jumping to conclusions, especially if Daehyun’s suspicions were correct. ‘John.’ He hadn’t heard that name in years. He thought he left that life behind and now it was coming back to haunt him. But why? He had thought it all ended the moment….Daehyun shook his head. He needed to stop speculating and reminiscing. He needed to be in the now. 

“Yongguk, did you finish looking into what I asked?” Daehyun leaned against the break room counter.

“Yeah, I was able to dig up some information about him…” Daehyun hummed, awaiting for Yongguk’s answer as the man on the other line was shuffling through papers. “He’s a Seoul resident, moved to Germany when he was 15 and obtained dual citizenship. Ex-German military and but then disappeared off the grid for a few years,” There was an odd pause and Daehyun knew that Yongguk was in deep contemplation. “He came to Seoul just a year ago and is employed by Ego.”

“Ego…” Daehyun chewed his bottom lip. ‘Off the grid.’ Daehyun had never met the man during his time ‘off the grid, ’ yet he knew Daehyun’s connection to John. Daehyun scratched the back of his head vigorously. The underlying suspicions gnawing at the back of his mind. “Yongguk, get me a meeting with Ego’s CEO.”

“W-what?” The usual calmed and collected man was suddenly dumbfounded by Daehyun’s curveball. 

“Just mention specify that Jung Daehyun wants to talk to him. If things are what I suspect then you should be able to get into a meeting with him easily.” Daehyun’s tone was emotionless, his face hardened to that of a contracted killer. 

“Daehyun, do you need me to come with you and back you up? Does this have anything to do with-”

“I’m fine, Yongguk,” Daehyun’s voice slightly softening at his friend’s concern. “It’s something I’ll handle myself.” 


Youngjae let out a huff as he sat down on his plush bed, glaring at his bedroom door. The stupid snail had yet to barge in and harass him. That was unsettling. Since the day Daehyun threw his strange hissy fit, the elder had practically avoided any social contact with the him. The rock would hole up in the study most of the time, monitoring what was going on through his cameras, and when the two were at work Daehyun would again be holed up in the break room. It was beginning to annoy and bug the hell out of Youngjae. One minute the stupid snail would act all overly familiar with him and now Daehyun just goes and ignores him. Youngjae was outraged! Was Daehyun really that jealous that the younger had a date and the old fart didn’t? What else could explain Daehyun’s strange behavior. 

“Youngjae, hunny, I’m coming in,” Mrs. Yoo pried opened her son’s room, peeking in to see her son pouting on the bed. “What’s with the spoiled brat face?” Mrs. Yoo chuckled. 

“Nothing….” Youngjae frowned, crossing his arms and grabbing a pillow to hug tightly. 

“Doesn’t really sound like nothing to me,” Mrs. Yoo smiled and sat down beside her son on the bed. “Why are you all dressed up for?” She eyed Youngjae’s garb, from his neat little pastel yellow cardigan to his black leather dress shoes. “Do you have a date or something?” She teased, not expecting to see Youngjae’s face light up bright red.

“It’s not a date….yet…” Youngjae murmured the end, burying his face in his pillow.

“Oh dear! My little Youngjae is finally growing up!” Mrs. Yoo bursted into a fit of laughter, hugging her son tightly and cooing. Youngjae merely trying to pry his mother off him in embarrassment. “So what is she like?”

“She’s nice and sweet,” Youngjae began to fidget. He felt like he was 10 telling his mom about his middle school crush. “And she bakes really well.”

“Well she sounds like a catch already,” Mrs. Yoo grinned gently tucking a loose strand of Youngjae’s hair behind his ear. “I hope I can get some grandkids soon. I am getting old dear.”

“Mooooom!” Youngjae buried his bright red face in his hands. The poor boy hasn't even gone on a date with the girl and his mother is already thinking of grandkids! His mother on the other hand was having a grand ol time laughing so hard that she was clutching her stomach. She was happy, ecstatic. All she wanted was for Youngjae to live a happy life. Find someone he loved, have a wonderful family, and live life to the fullest. She didn’t want Youngjae to see the ugly side of the world. He had seen plenty enough growing up in the Yoo family. She couldn’t protect Youngjae forever, hide him from the ugly truth. 

“Mrs. Yoo,” Daehyun gently knocked on Youngjae’s bedroom door, opening it slightly. “I will be leaving.”

“Leaving?” The words left Youngjae’s mouth before he could entirely process them. Youngjae studied Daehyun. The bodyguard was wearing his usual formal attire except this time a charcoal gray trench coat accompanied his outfit. He didn’t have his laptop with him or the small bag of amenities he brought with him. So it was safe for Youngjae to assume that Daehyun wasn’t leaving leaving, right? 

“I’ll be back later tonight but for now I’ve asked a colleague of mine to accompany Youngjae.” Daehyun flashed a polite smile and nod before turning around to leave the premises.

“H-hey wait!” Youngjae immediately bolted from his seat and chased after Daehyun, his mother staring him confused. “I said wait, you stupid snail!” Youngjae hollered from the top of the step, cheeks puffed in annoyance and his chest heaving. Daehyun was half-way down the stairs when he looked up to see the angry baby bird. 

“Do you need something, Youngjae?” Daehyun expression blank. Youngjae stared wide eyed back at the stone faced man. He had only prepared to stop Daehyun, but did not think of what to say after he had managed to stop said man. Youngjae opened his mouth for moment, before closing it shut. He did this a few times, mimicking a fish gasping for water. “If it’s not something urgent then we can talk another time but I have to go.” 

“I’m sorry!” Daehyun froze in his tracks as he turned to see Youngjae red with embarrassment in frustration. An apology was the last thing Daehyun had ever expected to hear from Youngjae. 

“What are you…”

“Look I’m sorry kay…” Youngjae grumbled, crossing his arms. Though he wanted to apologize he was still too stubborn to surrender that easily. Youngjae would have never thought that Daehyun ignoring him would bother him that much. If it was the Youngjae of a month or two ago he would be praising Jesus Hallelujah. Now Youngjae felt unease and uncomfortable at the thought that Daehyun wouldn’t even look or speak to him anymore. This distance made Youngjae upset and frustrated and he didn’t understand why, which only led to more annoyance and frustration. “What I said before...about you being ‘just my bodyguard.’ I guess I was kinda rude to treat you like that when you did save my life…”

Daehyun could feel a twitch of a smile in the corner of his mouth. Why did this adorably dumb chicklet have to get under his skin so easily? Youngjae’s squishy red cheeks, and obvious reluctant pout- it was frustrated how these little quirks just made Daehyun’s heart melt a bit. He was a guard. A soldier. A fighter. Yet the spoiled princess before him made him feel as soft as a cotton ball. He had thought that maybe if he kept his distance from the younger it would have been easier to not let any distracting emotions bear any fruit. Distance helped, making Daehyun harsher and colder, and he felt the seeds of affection began to wither away as they should. Then there were those moments where Youngjae would give him the sad puppy eyes everytime he was ignored and the seeds would again try to bear fruit. It was a rollercoaster of emotions and Daehyun was honestly beginning to feel nauseated by this push and pull.  

Youngjae instinctively moved back as Daehyun approached him, his face so close to his since the elder was still standing on the lower step. His dark eyes staring right into Youngjae’s. The younger feeling himself being lost in those eyes. Daehyun reached out towards the younger, Youngjae scrunching his head down and lifting his shoulders like a turtle hiding in his shell as Daehyun gently petted his hair. Youngjae looked at Daehyun with those innocent doe eyes and Daehyun had to take a deep breathe, not wanting to say or do something that he may regret.

“You shouldn’t be sorry. What you said wasn’t wrong. I’m your bodyguard. I overreacted “ Daehyun smiled slightly at Youngjae.

“You’re not just my bodyguard you know…” Youngjae mumbled, he could feel the red crawl upon his cheeks as he tried to figure out his words. “Your someone I’d consider...um like… a friend?” Youngjae scratched the back of his head. Friend? Youngjae wasn’t sure about that. He never acted like this when Himchan or Zelo got mad at him. Himchan and Zelo didn’t make his heart act funny just by their mere proximity (unless they pissed him off). “Or like…” Youngjae’s brows furrowed as he tried to categorize Daehyun in his life. “You’re someone I actually care about, okay?” 

Daehyun, for the first time in a long time, felt caught off guard. He couldn’t help, but let out a soft smile. The seeds of affection had not just taken root but they had even bloomed into little seedlings. Daehyun gently let his hand trail down from Youngjae’s head, eyeing carefully the younger’s reaction. If the younger even looked a bit uncomfortable, Daehyun would immediately retract his hand. But the younger didn’t. Youngjae just simply watched as Daehyun’s hand gently rested on his cheek. Daehyun let out a small snort of laughter before gently pinching Youngjae’s cheek, causing the younger to hiss. Youngjae was infatuated or at least had a small crush on Somi. Daehyun was not going to interfere. 

“Thank you. I care about you too,” Daehyun chuckled softly. “Which is why I’m having Yongguk keep an eye on your date, while I’m out.”

“Yongguk? Your boss? You’re having your boss spy on my date!?” Youngjae looked Daehyun incredulously.

“I thought it wasn’t a date?” Daehyun cocked an amused brow.  

“Ah, you know what I mean,” Youngjae rolled his eyes. “Where are you going anyways?” 

“Out.” Daehyun shrugged.

“Wow, soooo informative,” Youngjae scoffed. “You tend to stick to me like a wart so I’m just curious as to what could have pried you off me.”

“It’s nothing serious just…” Daehyun bit his lower lip momentarily in an attempt to categorize the person he was meeting. “I’m just meeting an old friend.”

“You have friends?” Youngjae teased, earning him a flick from Daehyun.

“My world doesn’t revolve around you, Yoo Youngjae,” Daehyun scoffed, ruffling Youngjae’s hair. “Anyways, I have to get going. Don’t cause Yongguk too much trouble,” Daehyun flashed younger a small toothy grin. Youngjae immediately noting the small canine teeth Daehyun had. Cute. Youngjae internally smacked himself at the thought. “I’ll see you later, okay?”

Youngjae hummed his reply. The spark in the younger’s eyes returned and the small impish grin returned to the younger’s lips. It made Daehyun’s heart beat a tad faster seeing the younger cheer up and him being the reason for it. Perhaps for now. Just a bit. Daehyun could cheat a little. As long as the younger didn’t know then it would be fine right. Daehyun would just keep this seedlings as is since it was futile to stop them. He would simply have to get over his affections towards Youngjae eventually. He’d done it before with other so it was only a matter of time with the younger. Right? That’s what Daehyun was banking on. 

“Close your eyes for a moment.” Youngjae stared at Daehyun confused at the elder’s request. 

“And why would I do that?” Youngjae slightly backed away, his baby chick instincts kicking in. 

“I’m not going to bite,” Daehyun rolled his eyes. “There’s just something on your eyelash and I don’t want to poke your eye when I get rid of it.” Daehyun knew it was a lame excuse. It wasn’t everyday that Daehyun would lie for something so petty. 

“I swear if you do anything weird…” Youngjae mumbled, still skeptical of what was to come, but complied anyways. Daehyun chuckled softly seeing how trusting and fluffy the younger appeared before him. Daehyun scanned the area quickly, making sure the coast was clear. Once deemed appropriate, Daehyun cautiously leaned closer to the younger, placing a small peck on Youngjae’s closed eyelids,the younger slightly twitched at the sudden pressure, before retracting himself. As what Yongguk would describe a idiot’s gleeful smile was painted on Daehyun’s lips. “Did you get it?”

“Yeah, I did,” Youngjae fluttered his eyes open to see Daehyun heading down the steps again. “I’ll see you later.”

“See you later…” Youngjae waved as Daehyun left for his meeting with his friend. 

“You’re going to be late to your date, son.”

“MOM!” Youngjae’s heart nearly fell out of his chest as he shrieked and jumped at his mother’s sudden presence. Mrs. Yoo merely chuckling as she saw her son grip his chest to soothe his beating heart. 

“Daehyun’s colleague is waiting outside for you.” She chuckled, watching as her son glanced at the floor. He was embarrassed by his haphazard freak out that took at last 3 years of his life. 

“I’ll see you later, Mom.” Youngjae placed a quick peck on his mother’s cheek before scurrying down the stairs. 

Mrs. Yoo merely chuckled, humming a sweet little tune before heading towards her bedroom to get some decent shut eye. “My little Youngjae sure is a popular one.” She giggled to herself. 


”Sorry about all of this, Somi.” Youngjae awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck as he pulled out the chair for Somi. The two of them seated themselves in the patio of the french cafe Youngjae had spent all night researching on. He had initially wanted to sit inside the cozy interior, but Yongguk insisted (more like commanded) that Youngjae sat outside so he could keep an eye on him. If the younger didn’t comply, Yongguk had no qualm literally third wheeling as Daehyun always had. The only difference was that Yongguk could gut you like a damn fish while Daehyun was a bit softer on the eyes in comparison. The last thing Youngjae wanted to do was scare the dickens out of Somi. 

“It’s fine,” Somi let out a giggle, nodding in thanks as Youngjae pulled out her chair. “I don’t see Daehyun-ssi today, is he not joining us?” Somi looked around to see if Daehyun may have joined them. Honestly, Youngjae thought that Somi was such an angel. He would have thought that she would complain about Daehyun crashing their get togethers all the time, but she was always sweet and even included the bodyguard in their conversation. If there was ever a Mother Teresa, it would be her. Well, not being completely Mother Teresa. Youngjae was trying to maybe date her...and Youngjae was pretty sure that it was sacrilegious to try to woo Mother Teresa. 

“No, he’s actually away for some personal business,” Youngjae chuckled lightly. “Unfortunately, I am stuck with another bodyguard for the night, but he had the courtesy of keeping his distance.” 

“Oh…” Somi smiled slightly, but Youngjae could tell the strain in her grin and the disappointment in her voice. Youngjae pushed the feelings a side, thinking that perhaps Somi saw Daehyun as a friend as well with the times he thirdwheeled. “So how have you been, Youngjae? Busy as always.”

“Not too busy to not hang out with you.” Youngjae shot her cheesy wink, causing Somi to burst into laughter. 

“Oh God, that was terrible,” She wiped away a laughter tear. “Seriously, how have you been?”

Youngjae reccounted to her his busy day, deciding for the theme for the next game in development and what platform they should use. He relayed her his annoyance with Daehyun and his avoidance for the past week as well as how the two finally reconciled. Or how Youngjae would like to put it ‘the guard dog was back on his leash.’ He complained about how Daehyun was always holed up in his room taking up space in his mother’s study, how his mother doted on Daehyun so much, and how the elder would just get on his nerves. Somi simply listened intently to Youngjae’s rants, a small smile on her face. 

“You seem to talk about Daehyun alot.” Somi chuckled, seeing as Youngjae’s mouth immediately went shut and his face turned slightly red. 

“I-It’s cause he gets on my nerves…” Youngjae mumbled, shoving a breadstick in his mouth. 

“Then why don’t you just fire him?” 

“Cause he’s a stubborn mule,” Youngjae growled, angrily biting into the breadstick again. “I’m sorry that I even brought him up, why don’t we talk about something else? How have you been?”

It was several hours before the two were about to end their little cafe get together. Youngjae’s vanilla latte was already cooled by the night air as Somi and he laughed about something variety the two happened to enjoy. Youngjae could feel butterflies in stomach. No matter how much he tried not to jump the gun, he had already jumped. Jumped, landed, and broke an ankle or two. He liked Somi and a lot. Definitely more than a friend. Somi was pretty from when she dresses up to when she is making silly faces as they are talking about something ridiculous. Youngjae could talk to her for hours and not feel bored at all. This was the first time Youngjae actually felt that he had met someone that he clicked with. It was a God send that Youngjae and her met at the club of all places. Youngjae could feel his palms begin to sweat as his mind was running like a racehorse hopped up on carrot juice figuring how to ask Somi out again. This time as a date. 

Most of the girls he ever met were only after his mother’s company or his money. It was just an unfortunate set of circumstances that the women in his life focused on the ambitions on power and fortune and not take into account the feelings Youngjae may have felt. He remembered back in high school when he met Hyeon. Youngjae was head over heels in love with her. He didn’t know why really. It was high school so it was probably something ridiculous. Himchan had warned Youngjae about her, told him that she was no good and was a snake.Youngjae didn’t listen. Why? Cause ‘love’ makes you blind and a freaking . The story ends up going downhill from there. Youngjae confessed, she said yes, only for him to overhear her conversation with her friends. It was a stream of giggles that ripped Youngjae’s heart out. Her friends had questioned Hyeon as to why she dumped the captain of the basketball team to date Youngjae. It wasn’t that Youngjae was ugly, it was that the captain of the basketball team was hot like jalapenos on fire hot. Hyeon simply laughed, as if the answer was obvious. Yeah, the team captain was hot, but Youngjae was the heir to Yoo enterprises. Even if their relationship didn’t last, she would at least get some rich presents out of it.

From then, Youngjae had become very picky in his choice in girl, much to Himchan’s and Zelo’s dismay. The two didn’t want Youngjae to be a lonely old hag, but on the same token, they didn’t like seeing their friend get played. This time was different though! This time Youngjae wouldn’t get his heartbroken and spread across the land like pesticides. Youngjae took a deep gulp of air, ready to dive into this deep sea called puppy love. Youngjae opened his mouth, ready for the words to literally spill out of his mouth when Somi beat him to it. 

“Hey Youngjae...do you know a lot about Daehyun?” Somi mindlessly swirled her cup of coffee, fickling with the coffee spoon. 

“Um, I mean enough I guess…” Youngjae’s face scrunched up in obvious discontent. Why was Somi bringing up Daehyun? No offense to the guard, but talk about Daehyun when it was just him and Somi was a mood killer. 

“Do you know if he…” A small faint blush was flashing on Somi’s cheeks and Youngjae’s face scrunched even further. Almost gremlin like at this point. “...like has a girlfriend?”

“He’s a snail. He spawns.” Youngjae’s stare became pointed and his lips became and etched frown. 

“Oh God, I’m so sorry for asking you this. I know it might be kinda weird since he’s your bodyguard, but um…” Somie buried her blushing red face into her hands. “I just haven’t forgotten him since the night of the club and then the more we all hung out...I don’t know,” Somi, peeked at Youngjae through his fingers. “Would you mind if you ask him what kind of girl he-” Youngjae immediately stood up from his seat, Somi staring up at him in confusion. “Youngjae, are you okay?”

“I’m not feeling well…” Youngjae murmured, his eyes not meeting Somi’s. “I’m going to go home.”

“O-oh! Okay!” Somi chuckled awkwardly, feeling the tension in the air. “I hope you feel better! Talk to you soon? I’ll send you some more cookies when I figure the new recipe.”

“It’s okay, there is no need to…” Youngjae quickly bowed Somi goodbye, leaving some money on the table to cover their drinks before exiting the cafe. Youngjae pulled his cellphone out of his pants, his feet stomping against the hard pavement. “Yongguk, I want to go home. Now.” 


“I didn’t think you’d come…” Daehyun’s stare never left from the cityscape, the view beautiful from the height of Seoul’s City Wall. The sound of footsteps approaching him as a man, few years older than Daehyun stood beside the guard. A mirthful smirk on his lips.

“How could I miss seeing an old friends face?” The man chuckled, his jet black hair unperturbed by the night wind. “How have you been, Daehyun?”

“I’m not here to reminisce, Sejun.” Daehyun shot the other a harsh glare.

“How unfortunate. Don’t tell me you are still bitter about what happened with John,” Sejun let out a dismayed sigh as if he was dealing with a stubborn child. “You know why I had to do it. He betrayed us, left us for-”

“Enough!” Daehyun growled, his hands balled up into his fist and his expression hostile like a rabid dog. “I only called you out for two things and two things only.”

“One I’m assuming is to confirm my return? I thought you would enjoy some competition, Daehyun. We used to compete all the time back then. Drove John nuts.” Sejun let out a light chuckle before placing his hands into the pockets of his thick trench coat. 

“What does Ego have to do with Youngjae?” Daehyun felt nauseated. Suffocated between his emotions of hatred towards the other yet the lingerings of camaraderie between the two. He wanted to end this so that they would never have to see each other ever again. That’s what Daehyun wanted. Sejun was reminder of a life Daehyun wished to burn out of memory.

“Ah, the young charge you’re looking after,” Sejun closed his for a moment, a small smile on his face. “We have business with him.”

“Your men almost killed him.” Daehyun snarled. 

“Business.” Sejun shrugged nonchalantly. 

“Who hired you?” 

“Ah-ah, I can’t tell you that Daehyun. Client confidentiality. I thought you would have learn that giving too much always backfires.” Sejun wagged his finger. 

“I’m warning you, Sejun. Drop this assignment.” Daehyun took a step closer to the other so that the two men were staring each other down. Daehyun’s eyes burned with the intensity of anger, sorrow, regret, and hatred. Sejun’s light hazel eyes only sparked with glee, playfulness, and interest. 

“Or what Daehyun?” Sejun smirked, taking a step back from the guard. 

“You’ll regret it.” Sejun merely let out a playful chuckle at Daehyun’s words. 


“I’m still waiting for you to keep that first threat of yours, oh so many years ago,” Sejun began to walk back to his car, leaving Daehyun glaring at his back. “We should really do this again, Daehyun. Perhaps over coffee this time?” Sejun glanced over his shoulder to see Daehyun’s intense stare. “Because of our friendship, Daehyun, I’ll give you a heads up. The enemy of that little princess of yours might just be from the same royal bloodline.” Sejun gave a short wave before entering his car, leaving Daehyun under the starry sky with his mind in a whirlwind of emotions. 
 


Thanks for reading! Comments and critiques are highly welcomed!

So after 50000000000000000 years I am back! Sorry this chapter took so long! After graduation well life suddenly decided to take a busy turn...but I'm back! No guarantee that I will update any faster, but I promise I'm trying my cuties! I am too invested in this story to give it up I promise hehe. Plus it's starting to get to the juicy parts which equals more daejae fluff. And you're all probably wondering: where is my banghim? my jonglo? it's coming I promise just give it a few more chapters hehehe But also! Just to let you lovelies know that if you haven't checked it out yet, but I am also working on another Daejae story (le gasp!) but it's for a contest so there are some constraints, but I really like the concept for the story and I hope you all check it out if you have the time!

Here is the link to it below :)

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1356254/gears-of-love-angst-supernatural-yongguk-zelo-himchan-jongup-bap-daehyun-youngjae-daejae