Chapter twenty-five

The Grenhil Pack
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter twenty-five: Setting the sky on fire

Jihoon had spent the whole day helping out where ever he could in the camp. Now he was struggling to keep his eyes open as the sun started to set. Sometimes he wondered why he even shared his knowledge about medicine with the enemy, treating the various burns that were the result of trying to stop the flames from causing more damage. It didn’t help him in his quest to protect his homeland if he aided the enemy. But these men had families too and honestly most of them were good people.

Right now he was experiencing the downside of his attempts to aid the enemy. All his time during the day had been spent helping out wherever he could. Tiring him physically but also mentally. However night time called for different responsibilities and whereas the men in the camp could sleep relatively peaceful, Jihoon spent his nights awake. Patrolling the forest and taking out the Exodus sentries. The last two weeks had slowly tired him out. There was only one thing Jihoon craved and it was a solid nights rest. It was a luxury that he couldn’t afford.

With a grunt he got up from beneath the warm covers of his makeshift bed. It hadn’t even been one hour. His body needed more time to heal and recover. He felt his head ache as he stood up straight in the darkness. The moon was shrouded in clouds and only provided little light, the few torches and campfires in the camp weren’t enough to brighten the deep shadows. The badly lit camp provided cover for Jihoon to walk around unseen, making his way out of camp into the forest. While the sparse torches at least gave some light, the forest was a black nothing in the dark. For human eyes that is. Jihoon blinked once, giving his eyes time to adjust as they shined bright blue into the night.

The call of an owl resounded through the trees, frightening the small animals that it preyed on. Another owl answered from afar, soon echoed from different directions. Jihoon relaxed himself and settled down on the cold forest floor. Listening to the sounds of the night while his eyes slowly started to close.

“Falling asleep on the job now?” Someone dropped down next to him, waking him from his slight slumber. Once he opened his eyes a smirking Mingyu was revealed. The tall alpha stood there grinning stupidly at him, his eyes reflecting the sparse light in several bright green colours.

Jihoon scoffed, “You try to stay awake during day and night. I haven’t had a good rest during these last two weeks.”

“No need to get mad Jihoon.” Seokmin stepped into his field of vision. “You could’ve slept during the night instead of patrolling on your own. Or during the day if you just let the Exodus army be. You chose to help during both yourself.” For once Seokmin was his voice of reason as he was completely right. Jihoon didn’t have to stay awake all night but he didn’t want to let others do all the work for him.

“I know… Thanks Seokmin.” Jihoon smiled slightly, revealing the dimples that made him look even younger. “Are we ready?”

“All set up sir.” Mingyu reported making Jihoon cringe when he actually saluted.

“Can you please not do that.” Jihoon slapped Mingyus hand down. “It’s embarrassing.” Only causing the taller alpha to laugh.

“Once you two are done with fighting can we actually start?” Seokmin intervened before things would escalate. “I’ve everything set up and ready to go. Our men are in their positions around the camp.”

Jihoon nodded and let his blue eyes travel across the nearby tree tops, seeing the bright reflections of eyes staring at him. He smiled in appreciation. “Let’s show them how scary the night can be. We are going to set the sky itself on fire!” He roared and cheers followed from around him.

---

Baekhyun finally found a moment to sit down after the long day. Chanyeol settled beside him and both of them let out a deep breath simultaneously.

“Nothing ever goes to plan when Strenyard is involved, does it?”

The alpha let his head rest on his hands as he took in Baekhyuns sad posture. There had been a lot of pressure on him during the last months and it was finally getting to him.

“No one saw this coming Baek…” Even though he spoke the truth it wasn’t what Baekhyun wanted to hear.

“I KNOW!” He let out in an instant rage, “But that doesn’t make my failure any better!” And a failure it was, at least for Baekhyun. According to his first calculations he should’ve conquered Strenyard a year ago. Yes you heard that right, but they got delayed by bad weather circumstances last year. A short rainy summer had caused a bad harvest. The little food that was salvaged from the land was barely enough to last through winter let alone feed an army. To make matter worse there had been a fire at the warehou-

A sudden thought came into his mind. “Chanyeol do you still think the fires in Vestend last year were an accident?” There was a certain authority to his voice as he spoke as if he had already decided the right answer before Chanyeol spoke up.

“Are you implyi-”

“Yes!” Baekhyun beamed, “It is just too similar. Remember the huge explosions that occurred?”

Chanyeol tried his best to test his memory but he couldn’t really remember the events with much detail. “Baekhyun fires happen. Especially if a city is made out of wood and thatch.”

“But normally it doesn’t burn down half of the warehouses at once. Also multiple fires started in different warehouses.” That night long ago had been their first real setback in a yearlong campaign. It still puzzled Baekhyun how much damage was done in a single night and the amount of time that it took to replace everything that was lost.

“Even if those fires were started by someone instead of accidently. Who says it has any connection to Strenyard at all?” Chanyeol pondered out loud, “We don’t even know if it is the Strenyard pack that is attacking us right now.”

“Well who else would it be…”

“Who wouldn’t?” Chanyeol said as he remembered the little reality check he had gotten from Woozi not too long ago. “We made a lot of enemies Baek… I wouldn’t be surprised if they were out to seek revenge on us.”

“I just do-”

Baekhyun didn’t finish his sentence because the night sky was suddenly illuminated with light and smoke. Sparks were flying through the air in various colours. And before long the whole camp was awake.

That was when the first explosion was heard. Followed by another. And another. Tents caught fire in the frenzy that followed and more explosions lighted up the night sky.

“Run!” Chanyeol got a hold of Baekhyun and pulled him away just in time. A brightly coloured explosion went off right where Baekhyun had been standing mere seconds ago. He kept blanking out, trying to process the fact that he nearly got killed. “Baekhyun!” Chanyeol tried to snap him out off it by shaking his body around. “Baek!”

It just didn’t reach him. He kept staring at the now brown patch of grass that he had previously occupied.

“Byun Baekhyun!” Seeing no other solution Chanyeol raised his hand and smacked Baekhyun across the face. “For s sake! Will you snap out of it?”

“I… I…” Baekhyun touched his right cheek but otherwise showed little reaction.

“Yeah, yeah. Safe your breath. We are getting out of here right now. You hear me?”

Baekhyun nodded ever so slowly. His focus on Chanyeols broad back and shoulders as the other pulled him through the maze that was the camp. It was pure chaos. Everyone was running circles around each other trying to escape the inevitable fires.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter