Chapter 5

One Last Year

When Jaemin is finally leaning back against the fridge, you smile again, not noticing the way Lucas is still looking at the younger boy with hard eyes.

Jaemin looks embarrassed actually, ashamed by his sudden outburst, but you tell him not to worry about it, not one to dwell long on minsunderstandings of any kind.

”I’ve had this group of girls following me”, he confesses, his jaw tight. He shudders and cracks his fingers while looking at the floor. “They send me messages. I don't know how they even found out my phone number.”

He sounds guarded, cautious and you feel sorry for him. Going through something like this must be unimaginable.

”Why don’t you talk to the police?”, you suggest, biting the inside of your cheek. “Stalking is a crime.”

He lets out a humorless chuckle, obviously frustrated with the situation as he leans back against the counter. “Yeah, but I’d have to prove it first.”

You look at Lucas and then back at Jaemin. An idea is slowly starting to grow in your mind.

”I think there is something we can do”, you say.

*

When Haechan arrives at the party, he can't help but feel uncomfortable, like a fish out of the water. There's college students everywhere, drinking booze, giggling, playing drinking games and making out. It's not his scene at all. He just doesn't fit in, or rather, he doesn't want to make the effort to blend in, instead opting to offensively focus his camera on anything interesting, because the best defense is a good offense

The only thing midly interesting enough about the parties his friend, Jaehyun, always forces him to attend, is that he can take more photos for his blog. He has an entire series called 'Adolescence' where he posts the best ones and the response so far has been good. He's pretty sure that it will end up in his portfolio for the art college he wants to apply to. They are in Seoul with a great department, amazing professors and good opportunities.

He strolls around the room, rolling his eyes whenever the shrieking gets too loud. He has a few pictures so far, but nothing to eye-catching. They are all missing something, he decideds, messing up his hair in frustration. Haechan is definitely a perfectionist.

Feeling thirsty, he heads to the kitchen, knowing exactly where everything in Jaehyun's appartment is. That's when he sees you. His gaze hardens at your good-natured smile. You are talking to the new soccer captain, Jaemin. Instantly, Haechan's gaze hardens. He didn't follow the school's events too much, apart from his club work so he hadn't really known that the new captain was no other than Na Jaemin. And in the world, there were a lot of people he'd rather do a favor than Na Jaemin.

Haechan scoffs seeing you standing in front of the younger guy, smiling so warmly. You look like an idiot everytime you do that, beaming at people like that, and yet, he cannot help feeling warm. It must the anger he's feeling.

*

"So, what do you  suggest again?" Jaemin is looking at you, narrowing his eyes and probably questioning your sanity. After he had apologized for having mistaken you, it actually got you started thinking about solving his issue.

"It's a foolproof plan", you defend your proposition. You hadn't really thought it over, but after Jaemin mentioned his stalkers you had an idea. What if he talked about them in the interview? Saying how much they're bothering him? Not only would it be a wake up call to the delusional fan girls, but the students would also understand and maybe even out the perpetrator. It was public shaming in a way and you didn't know if it would work, but it seemed better than doing nothing. "We interview you, talk about your stalkers and boom- they feel guilty and stop doing it."

You shift from leaning on one foot to the other, seeing the gears turning in Jaemin's head. He doesn't seem fully convinced, so you smile putting your hand on his shoulders. "What's the worst thing that could happen, Jaemin?", you ask, tilting your head,

He smiles painfully, knowing that what happened before was already the worst thing he could imagine. He throws you a glance. For seeming so quiet and shy, you are oddly persuasive. He watches as you flick your hair back, your small hand still on his shoulder in what it supposed to be a comforting gesture. After getting a better look at you, he can't help himself thinking that you're cute and so, somehow, he finds himself nodding. You are probably right. What's the worst that could happen?

*

When Lucas sees Jaemin nodding in defeat, he chuckles a little. You already have the soccer captain wrapped aroun your pinky finger, as you do with most people, and Jaemin's cautious but clueless smile is definite proof of your ability. You're good at charming others, though you do it unvoluntarily. It's as if your mere smile was making them agree with you.

Lucas can't talk down Jaemin though, because he often enoughs finds himself trapped in your sweet laughter, the way your mouth curls up and your eyes crinkle. No. He's no exception. He likes you just as much as everyone else. Maybe even more.