Chapter 3

One Last Year

On Friday, you walk to school with a tired expression, stopping every few minutes to suppress a yawn. You had stayed up late again to work on your homework, despite the academic year just starting. Before becoming a senior, you had known that your stress would probably increase tenfold, but actually experiencing it was another thing.

You're halfway there when you see Sicheng waiting for you at a corner. He is the striker of the soccer team, very handsome with dark eyebrows and an angular nose. Since he always scores goals that would eventually lead to your team winning, he's also been nicknamed 'Winwin'. You noticed that he doesn't really seem to like the name, so you stick to his given one, calling him Sicheng apart from when you want to .

You smile at him and he smiles back, his pink lips curling up. After greeting him, he wordlessly takes your bag from you. At this point, you don't really protest anymore. Since Sicheng is really close to his mother, a real mama's boy, you feel like he takes too much care of you.

"I don't really know why you don't just take the car", you say, walking beside him casually. Sicheng had gotten his driver's license just a few weeks ago, but despite having a car, he still waited for you at the same place every morning.

The boy blushes a bit at your comment, keeping quiet for a second, before letting the real reason slip. "It's because you insist on walking", he mutters with his hoarse voice, a bit embarrassed because of his confession.

"What?", you ask, nudging his shoulder lightly. "Winwin, I feel honoured." You jokingly place your hand on your chest, acting touched. He cringes at your teasing and picks up his pace, walking a bit quicker than usual. You break out into a grin and jog to follow him, not noticing the way his face has reddened.

*

The meeting of the journalism club has started already and you're doodling on the agenda page with a ball point pen while Mark is recounting the goals for this year. Since it is also his last year, a successor is going to be chosen and you smile a little when you see Yerim straightening up in anticipation. The club is actually comprised of just seven people, including you, Mark, Jeno, whom you jokingly call 'chief editor', Yerim, an ambitious junior, and Seulgi, a shy but clever writer, as well as two newbies, one of them a junior, the other a freshman.

"For the next one, I've been thinking... We still need something big", Mark says and you nod in agreement. You have already written an article, but writing about the annual cake sale usually doesn't garner too much attention within the student population.

Jeno fiddles with his glasses and then takes a sip of water. "What about Jaemin?", he suddenly asks, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. You think back to the boy with the copper hair who had just recently become team captain, remembering the photos taken of him confidently posing after the game with sweaty hair but looking very satisfied.

"We could do an interview with him."

"An interview?", you repeat, a bit surprised but not averse to the idea. It sounds like a good proposal and you certainly know that Jaemin has a lot of fangirls, so you would get a bigger circulation this time, especially considering that the photos of him are also in this edition.

"Yes."

Jeno leans back in his seat and looks at you, letting his words sink in for a moment. "You should do it. Your last piece with the principal was a hit with the students." He was refering to your interview with Mr. Lee, which had ininadvertently led to him loosening up the restrictions on the school's dress code. You prided yourself on the fact that your work had actually changed something.

"He's right", Yerim nodded and then you all turned to Mark. Despite your brainstorming, he was still the president, meaning that he would be able to make the decision. Make the call to do something or not.

He was frowning slightly, but then put on a curt smile. He didn't feel comfortable letting you go to the team captain all by yourself, knowning that despite Jaemin looking all charming and innocent, word was that the younger was also a bit of a playboy when not on the field. Mark had only heard it through the grapevine, but it still made him a bit uncomfortable, knowing all too well that you were, despite your remarkable intelligence, very gullible.

"Ok", he finally says after some consideration, caving in. "But Chenle is coming with you."

You look at the blond rookie writer, a junior that you haven't had the chance to talk to much before, and smile. "Sure."

*

After the meeting, you quickly head to the photography club. Just as you're about to knock, it opens swiftly. You take a step back but end up losing your balance. But before you can fall, a secure hand stabilizes you, grasping onto your arm tightly. You look up to stare right into Haechan's face. He is staring back at you, his eyes sharp and dark.

"Oh", you let out, straightening up quickly. You brush off his hand and then open your mouth. "Sorry, I didn't..." You smile politely.

"Didn't mean to fall so graciously?", Haechan asks, cutting you off while he rolls his eyes. On the inside, he feels his cheeks turning warm. Due to your close proximity before, he was able to catch a whiff of your shampoo, unvoluntarily of course, but the sweet scent of mango and pineapple made blood rush into his cheeks.

"Actually," you change the topic, a bit embarrassed still. "I need you." You stay quiet for a second, before realizing how weird your sentence sounds. You cough and then speak up again, trying to rectify your mistake. "I mean your camera. And you." You bite your lip. "We're going to interview the new soccer captain and we are going to need some pictures." You smile at him. "Are you busy next week?"

Haechan's face darkens at the mention of the popular soccer player and you tilt your head, watching his expression change so suddenly. "Ask Renjun", he abruptly says, his voice tense. "I'm not going to take pictures of this guy again."

You frown at him, confused by his sudden change of mood. Had something happened between him and Jaemin?