Chapter 4

One Last Year

As you approach the door, with Lucas trailing behind you, you feel your knees getting weak.

"Don't worry", he says, his warm hand suddenly holding onto yours gently. His thumb is caressing the back of your hand. "You look pretty."

You stand still for a moment, goosebumps appearing on your skin as you open you mouth. You had even applied a bit of lipstick just look a bit more glamourous than usual. "I'm not worried about that", you confess, your voice barely louder than a mumbled whisper. But to Lucas it's still audible. He feels himself wavering at how anxious you sound, wanting nothing more than to pick you up in his arms and get you out of here. But sometimes, to help people, you don't have to hold them close. Instead, it's sometimes better to push them away.

He squeezes your hand and looks into your eyes, feeling bad once more. "I know", he answers and then presses the door bell.

Before anyone can open the door, he entangles your hands, leaving you feeling cold. As soon as the door bursts open and Jaehyun appears, you are back to the confident mask you always try to wear and Lucas, too, is back to acting like his normal self, spouting some nonsense English words.

"Good to see you", Jaehyun says, his eyes lingering on your for a moment. He has always thought you were cute, with big, round eyes that somewhat resemble a doe caught in the headlights. But despite finding you attractive, he has never acted upon it, since Lucas had always been by your side. Somehow, the two of you fit, he thinks. While you are more on the shier side, a bit reserved, Lucas is always loud and outgoing, a real moodmaker.

The two of you greet him back and he goes for a small hug. You smile uncomfortably but fortunately it doesn't last long. Even last year, you were quick to pick up on the fact that to Jaehyun, personal boundaries seemed to be invisible but he so earnestly broke through your walls that you tried not to mind.

"Let's go inside", Lucas cheers in a funny voice. "It's time to partaaay!"

*

When you spot Jaemin at the party, you're a bit surprised. Not that much actually, since you are both seniors at a college party, but enough to make your eyes widen. Then again, he's friends with Johnny Seo, who himself is a good friend of Jaehyun's. You stare at his hair that's a shade somewhere between brown and copper and then grasp onto Lucas' arm. "I'll be back in a bit", you speak into his ear. Without noticing the way he tenses under your warm breath, you head off. Jaemin has started walking into another room and you follow until he reaches the kitchen. As he lifts one arm to open the wooden cabinet, you clear your throat.

Jaemin rolls his eyes when he hears the sound. He has actually noticed the girl following him through the living room, hoping that he wasn't right with his intuition. He isn't in the mood to deal with another obsessed fan girl. He gets out the water and then turns around slowly. But he isn't prepared for the sight in front of him.

Two big eyes stare back at him. A girl his age, with long hair and a small nose. Your lashes are long and your face is slightly rosy. He swallows lightly and then lets out a slight scoff. Is looking innoccent their new concept? The ruse they are now using?

You hum and then smile at him politely and he feels himself wanting to vomit at the saccharine sweet smile that is probably fake. "Jaemin", you say. "It must be fate meeting you here. I've actually been meaning to talk to you."

A strand of your hair falls in front of your face and you brush it back. Jaemin puts the water bottle onto countertop, raking a hand through his hair. His other hand is balled into a tight fist.

"Look", he says, obviously annoyed. All his famous friendliness and cuteness is gone. "I don't know how you found out I'm here but stop it. I already told your friend that I'm not interested."

Confused, you take a step back, not knowing why he is speaking so crudely. "What are you talking about?", you ask, frowning.

He laughs a humorless laugh at your words and steps a bit closer. He is taller than you, holding his chin up high. His eyes are dark. "You’re pretending not to know? What is it that you want, huh? A hug? A kiss...? Something more? I read your texts. It's sickening." His voice get progressively louder as he speaks and you take another steps back, just to bump into the wall with your back.

"Look-", you say, but before you can clear up any misconceptions, Lucas is already standing in the kitchen.

"What's going on?", he asks, eyeing the way Jaemin is standing so close to you with suspicion. After you hadn't returned, Lucas became quite worried. It was unnatural for you to stray from him for too long at this kind of event and when you didn't come back after a few minutes, he became worried. And then he found you getting cornered in the kitchen by the new soccer captain.

"Why don't you step aside, captain?", Lucas asks, his voice low and threatening. You feel chills running down your spine at the intensity, biting the inside of your cheek with nervousness.

Jaemin shakes his head, pushing his jaw forward. "You don't understand. This girl and her friends have been stalking me for the last six months. She's completely crazy."

You narrow you eyes at him, raising your eyebrows in thought while Lucas pushes forward in one breath, positioning himself in front of you, his shoulders broad. "Be careful what you say", he warns. "You don't even know her."

"Wait, wait", you let out, holding onto his shoulder with your hand before the argument can escalate. You fixate your eyes on Jaemin, seeing the animosity in them. "I don't think you're right. I'm sorry. I should have introduced myself earlier. I'm Y/N." You put on a small smile meant to assuage the boy. "I'm the vice president of the journalism club."