Chapter 4

I Hate You

A/N: This chapter is a bit lengthy at 3,584 words. I just didn't have the energy to make it work in to two chapters, or the heart to cut a scene out to shorten it. Sorry.

 

The car ride home was much longer than you wanted it to be. You sat in the back with Jakyung like before to take care of her, which meant you had to deal with her constant barrage of questions. You tried to avoid answering her the best you could without upsetting her, giving only vague answers when it couldn't be helped.
You stole a few glances at Yongguk in the driver seat as well and you knew he could hear Jakyung. He sat straight and stiff, both hands gripping the steering wheel tightly as Jakyung asked if the two of you had feelings for each. Not once had you noticed him look in the backseat.
Finally you reached the apartment and Yongguk carried her inside. He took her to the bedroom and laid her on her bed but when he went to walk away, she quickly grabbed him as she sat up.
"Why are you keeping it a secret?" she whined with a pout. "I want to know what's going on."
You let out a frustrated sigh. "We don't even know, okay?" You peeked over at Yongguk to see him looking at you and blushing before swiftly looking away. You felt yourself blushing too as you swallowed thickly. "We'll just... talk about it tomorrow or something." you added to appease her.
She whined again and released Yongguk. She laid back in bed, appearing to be getting comfortable, when she suddenly started giggling. "I know what it is." she proudly declared.
You blinked at her in surprise. "What?"
Giggling again, she lifted both of her arms to point at the two of you. "ual frustration."
That was certainly not what you expected and you gaped at her in dismay. A quick glance at Yongguk showed how mortified he was at the allegation also.
"N-no. Th-that...th-that's..." he stammered.
Jakyung sat up again and gave Yongguk a pointed look. "Just take her and have angry, rough already."
Instantly the male turned around and speedily exited the bedroom.
Before she had a chance to turn on you, you hurriedly followed him. "Night." you told her and a second later, you closed the door behind you.
In the living room, you found Yongguk awkwardly standing by the couch as if he didn't know what to do with himself. And when he noticed you, he blushed heavily once more before swiftly looking away.
With you face heating up, you closed your eyes and groaned. "What the is wrong with her?"
"Uh... yeah." he agreed with a nervous chuckle. "Umm... did you want..." He indicated towards Jakyung's room and then to the front door. "Or..."
Going home sounded wonderful but at the same time, you knew you'd just be running away. Which Jakyung wouldn't let you get away with after tonight. You had to face the music, just not right now. "I'll go ahead and stay." you said with a sigh. You started to go back in to Jakyung's room but stopped real fast. "I'm not going to make the same mistake as last time though. I'll sleep on the couch."
"Oh." he uttered, seemingly surprised. "Uh... Well, just sleep in my bed." Then he blushed as his eyes widened and he hurriedly stammered, "I-I m-meant by-by... I-I'll t-take the couch."
Feeling yourself blushing yet again as well, you shook your head. "N-no, I c-couldn... It's fine. I'll.."
"N-no really. I..." He took a deep breath and let it out before saying, "Really, it's fine. I'm usually up early anyways so this way I won't accidentally wake you up."
"Oh... Uh..." You hesitated, still not completely okay with it. But he was being very nice and considerate. "Well... I guess then. Thank you."
"Yeah, of course." he told you. "So... uh... goodnight then."
"Goodnight." You headed to the other bedroom and as you closed the door behind you, you peeked at Yongguk to see him getting comfortable on the couch. Then you shut the door with a heavy sigh.

You climbed on to his bed and plopped down on your stomach. Tomorrow was going to be pure torture and you couldn't imagine how you were going to get through it. Especially since you knew Jakyung would make it ten times worse.
Suddenly a different thought entered your mind and you propped yourself up on to your elbows. Looking over the side of the bed, you noticed Yongguk's sketchpad in the same spot as before. You grabbed it before sitting up and opening it to the first page. The light shining in through the window from the streetlights illuminated the drawing enough for you to see it. The same picture from before, drawn in one pencil , greeted you.
Flipping through the pages, you came to the last drawing and your eyes widened in surprise. It was new but for some reason, there were a series of jagged lines over it. Like he had given up on it and was crossing it out.
You squinted your eyes and tried to see only the lines of the unfinished picture. It was a face, but most of the features weren't in place. Just a faint outline of the eyes and some of the hair. It seemed to be a girl.
A knock on the door caused you to jump and the sketchpad tumbled from your hands. You scooped it up from the floor just as the door opened.
"Hey, can..." Yongguk trailed off as his gaped at you.
You glanced at his sketchpad and then back up at him. "I... I was just..."
He lunged forward, his arms outstretched. You were so shocked at the movement that you threw yourself backwards and landed on your back with your arms above your head. He followed after you, kneeling on the bed as he reached for the drawing pad. He grabbed it and tried to yank it out of your hands but for some reason, you unconsciously held on to it. As if he wasn't prepared for that, he swayed as he lost his balance and quickly placed his hand down on the bed to catch himself.
You stared up at him, completely frozen and holding your breath. He met your gaze for few moments before his face turned red. Then he quickly got off the bed so he was no longer hovering over you. Sitting up, you tossed the sketchpad towards the foot of the bed and scooted further on to the bed away from Yongguk.
He hesitated for a bit and then grabbed the sketchpad before taking a couple of steps backwards. "Do you always go through people's stuff?" he questioned without really looking at you.
"Sorry." you replied and glanced down at your lap. "I was just... curious and... I wanted to see..." You trailed off and winced, knowing you were going to implicate yourself further. "Them again." you finished.
"Oh." he uttered. He cleared his throat and said, "They're just... I..."
"They're good." you stated. "I... like them."
He finally looked at you and blinked in surprise while blushing again. "Oh... uh... Thanks." He pressed his lips and turned away. Then he jumped slightly and shook his head as if he was collecting himself. "Oh, I... uh... I wanted..." He indicated towards the door before pointing at the bed.
You glanced over at the two pillows and realized what he meant. "Oh, here." Grabbing one of the pillows, you held it out for him.
"Thanks." he said and took it from you. "I'll just, uh..." He nodded his head towards the door while shifting awkwardly where he stood still. After a moment though, he headed to the door and quietly closed it behind him.
You stared at the door, waiting to see if it would open again. When it didn't, you let your shoulders droop and you closed your eyes as you groaned. You laid back down on the bed and pulled the blanket over you completely, hiding under it.

You tossed and turned in the bed, unable to fall asleep. For whatever reason, you kept thinking about all the times you and Yongguk had ever interacted. From the first time you met him, to the time him and Jakyung decided to move in together, and finally this kiss at the party. Part of you wanted to just forget everything, pretend that nothing had happened. Which caused a tightness in your chest that had you feeling confused.
With a sigh, you kicked the blanket off of you and sat up. You glanced around the dark room until your gaze landed on the door. Biting your lip, you got up and headed over to it. As quiet as you could, you turned the knob and opened the door just enough for you to peek out in to the living room. Yongguk was laying on the couch, but with the way he rolled on to his back and sighed, you could tell he wasn't asleep.
You took a deep breath and slowly let it out, preparing yourself. Then you opened the door and walked out of the bedroom. You crossed the room and when you made it to the couch, Yongguk noticed you and gave you a curious look.
Nervously your lips, you said, "I can't sleep either."
He closed his eyes as he turned away and swallowed. Then he sat up and let out another sigh. "Yeah."
You sat down on the couch, making yourself comfortable. You waited to see if he was going to say something but he continued sitting there quietly, so you decided to just jump in. "Okay, you're always making snide comments at me."
"No. I mean..." He winced and ran a hand through his hair. "Okay yeah, I do. A lot. But last time you were here, I really was just asking. There were a few other times too that you twisted my words. You were just really..." He glanced at you and blushed before mumbling, "y."
You pressed your lips together and nodded. "Yeah, sorry. I know I can be y. Just seeing you would put me in a bad mood and I just..." You shrugged dismissively. "But I did try being nice to you when we first met."
This time he nodded. "And by then, I already decided I didn't like you so I was nasty to you." He shifted so he was facing you and leaned against the back of the couch. "When Jakyung and I started hanging out, you two were already friends but... I never saw you. She talked about you all the time though. Like you guys were the greatest friends ever. But I thought, 'How can that be true when you're never around'?"
You felt a sinking feeling in your chest, knowing what he meant. Jakyung and you use to be inseparable, but then life happened and you got too busy.
"I figured it was a one-sided friendship. That you were only friends with her when it was convenient for you, and I hated you for that. For using her." he continued.
"I swear, it's not like that." You leaned forward slightly, hoping he would believe you. "Jakyung means the world to me and if I could, I would hang out with her more. But I just... I mean this is my first night off in a while and it'll be another week before I get another day off. And I just get so tired from working all the time that the last thing I want to do is go somewhere. I'd rather stay home in my pyjamas all day."
"Yeah, I... I'm getting that now." He sighed once more before leaning forward as well. "I'm sorry."
"I'm sorry too." you offered. "And thank you. For being here for Jakyung since I can't."
He gave you a thoughtful look and nodded. "Of course. She means the world to me too."
At that, him acknowledging how you felt about Jakyung, a small smile formed on your face. He in turn smiled as well. Then you started giggling.
"What?" he questioned with a chuckle.
"Okay, full confession." you declared. "I actually though that you and Jakyung would end up together.
"What??" He scrunched up his face. "No, no. She... She's like a sister to me. I never thought of her that way. And besides, she's not really my type."
You laughed. "What is your type then?"
He hesitated for a moment before blushing and shyly looking away. "The type that can be y sometimes apparantely."
You blushed also and groaned, which earned you a laugh from him.
"Okay, full confession." Yongguk shifted nervously. "When I first met you, I thought... that you were hot."
Your mouth dropped open in shock. "What??"
He covered his face with his hand, clearly embarrassed. "Yeah." he confessed. He moved his hand away and laughed. "I thought, 'Oh my god she's hot, how the hell am I suppose to hate her?' Horrible people aren't suppose to be good looking."
You grabbed the pillow he had been using and swung it, hitting him with it. "I am not horrible!" When you went to bring the pillow back to hit him again, he quickly grabbed it. You tried to yank it free, while both of you laughed, until you gave up. "I can not believe you." you proclaimed with a shake of your head.
"Sorry." he said with an amused chuckle.
You playfully glared at him before rolling your eyes. Then you noticed the way he was looking at you. Your heart fluttered in your chest and when he leaned towards you, you held your breath.
His lips touched yours in a gentle kiss, but it only lasted mere seconds and then he pulled away. You hurriedly grabbed his arm, stopping him. You met his gaze for a brief moment before moving in to kiss him. He eagerly kissed you back, his lips moving with yours, as he gave you the kind of kiss you wanted.
Once you were satisfied, you broke off the kiss and saw the happy grin on his face. "Full confession." You felt your face heating up as you shyly smiled back at him. "You... are a great kisser."
He chuckled and blushed a bit as well. Then he shrugged his shoulders. "You're okay."
Your face fell, causing him to burst out laughing. You stared at him incredulously until another smile formed on your face and you took a hold of the pillow again.
"No, no!" he exclaimed and grabbed on to it firmly as well.
"No, you deserve another hit for that!"
"I was just joking!"
"I don't care!"
Both of you dissolved in to giggles, trying to wrestle the pillow away from each other.

"What's going on?"
You jumped and looked over at Jakyung standing in the doorway to her room. She glanced back and forth between you and Yongguk, seemingly confused.
"It's not what you think." you hurriedly said.
"We're not fighting." Yongguk added just as fast.
Jakyung's eyes watered as she whined. Then she ran over and threw herself on to the couch between you two. "I can't believe it, I'm so happy." She shifted so her back was leaning against you and laid her legs over Yongguk's lap.
Smiling, you wrapped your arms around her.
"My best friends are so cute together."
The smile left your face and you looked over at Yongguk to see him blushing. "W-we're j-just..."
"Th-tha...that's..." he stuttered, staring back at you.
"Awwww." cooed Jakyung.
You closed your eyes and silently groaned. "Don't. We're just..."
"Talking." Yongguk continued for you. "Working things out."
"And getting to know each other."
"Before we do anything else."
There was a brief moment of silence before Jakyung burst out giggling. "That was so adorable."
This time you groaned out loud and heard Yongguk do the same.


Over the next few weeks, the three of you started hanging out more, mostly thanks to Jakyung. She was very demanding about getting together as often as possible. Any time you tried to get out of it, she'd whine until you finally gave in. Thankfully though, she made sure the time was split between the two places so you werent' always the one commuting.
There was a knock on your door and got off the couch to answer it. When you saw Yongguk standing there, you couldn't help but smile. "Hey."
"Hey." he greeted back and walked in. He glanced around and frowned. "Where's Jakyung?"
"Huh? Didn't she come with you?" you asked in confusion.
He set the bag he was carrying on to the coffee table. "She said she'd meet me here."
You inhaled sharply as your eyes widened. You hurriedly grabbed your phone and called Jakyung's number. When she answered, you let out a breath of relief. "Where are you? Are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine." she replied. "I'm at home. You guys have fun." Then she hung up.
You held the phone away from your ear and gaped at it in disbelief.
"What did she say?" inquired Yongguk.
"She's... at home."
He furrowed his eyebrows. "What?? Why?"
"I... don't know." you told him. "She said have fun and then hung up on me."
He looked even more confused at that. "But..." He grabbed one of the food containers from the bag. "Why did she insist I get this for her then?"
You blinked at the container in surprise, reading the name of the restaurant over and over. "That's... the place I like."
He glanced between you and the food. "Wait, what?"
A sudden thought came to you and you went over to the television. You grabbed the DVDs you had rented and held them up. "She specifically requested these movies."
Yongguk stared at them for a bit before rolling his eyes and lightly scoffing. "I like those movies."
"That conniving, little..." You trailed off and clenched your teeth. "I'm so getting her back for this."
"We should pretend to fight in front of her." Yongguk declared with a sly grin.
You gasped. "That's horrible!" Then you grinned as well. "We should totally do that."
He burst out laughing, causing you to laugh as well. You set about starting one of the movies while Yongguk set out the food. Then the two of you sat on the couch and started eating.
As the movie started playing, curiously looked over at Yongguk. "So, this movie...?"
Surprise and hurt showed on his face for a moment, but then realization shown in his eyes and face softened. "Oh, yeah. I, uh... I like the story, and the way it was filmed."
You smiled at him, glad he hadn't misunderstood you. "I'll pay extra attention to that then."
Suddenly his phone went off and he dug it out of his pocket. He glanced at the screen for only a few seconds before quickly placing it down as he blushed.
"What?" you asked.
"It's nothing."
Then your phone went off. Furrowing your eyebrows, you picked it up to see it was a text message from Jakyung, 'Have him spend the night hehe'.
Your mouth dropped open and you swiftly pressed the power button to make the screen go black. When you looked over at Yongguk though, you could tell he already knew what was going on. Meaning he had gotten the same text.
"Ugh why does she have to do this!" you groaned. Then you went ahead and pulled up the message on your phone once more. "You're making this really hard." you said out loud as you typed up the message before hitting send.
"Stop making it too awkward for us." Yongguk said, typing out a message also.
"This is between us."
"So let us work this out."
Satisfied, you shared a smile smile with Yongguk when both of your phones went off. You looked at yours and saw a new message from Jakyung, 'I love it when you guys do that!'
"Oh for s sake." you grumbled.
Yongguk held down the power button on his phone. "I'm turning my phone off."
"Yep." you agreed and turned off your phone as well.
After tossing your phone aside, you settled back and focused your attention back on the movie. Just like you had said, you paid extra attention to the story and the dialogue to make sure you didn't miss anything. So when one of the people made a ridiculous statement, you automatically replied with a snappy comeback without thinking. Then you gasped and slapped a hand over your mouth.
You turned to Yongguk to apologize but stopped as he abruptly started laughing. "I'm never going to be able to watch this movie again without thinking that."
Chuckling a little, you said, "Sorry."
He shook his head. "No, you're not."
You blinked at him for a brief moment before slyly smiling. "No, I'm not."
He laughed even harder, causing you to laugh along with him. Then he used his arm and pushed you. You leaned in to him, pushing him back, only to have him push you again. The two of you fought until finally you both gave up and your laughter died down.
You turned back to the television but noticed Yongguk looking at you. You met his gaze and the two of you stared in to each others eyes for a couple of seconds before he leaned in and kissed you.
When he pulled back, he was blushing heavily and shyly smiling. "I hate you."
Your own face heated up as you blushed too. "I hate you." you said with a small smile.