Chapter 3

I Hate You

That thought consumed you for the week. No matter what you were doing, whether it was working or sleeping, you couldn't get the memory of kissing Yongguk out of your mind. Which really pissed you off and you found yourself constantly cursing him under your breath. Maybe if you had answer, know why he did it, then you would finally stop obsessing over it. But that would also mean you had to answer why you kissed him back instead of pushing him away. That was definitely something you didn't want to do.
Jakyung made that harder for you though. As soon as you had gotten on the bus, she blew your phone up with messages, demanding answers as well. At first you simply replied that it was nothing but when she didn't accept that, you started ignoring her until she agreed to stop bringing it up.
And as you settled on the couch in a pair of sweats, you debated about ignoring her again.
"Come oonnnnn." she whined. "Please."
"It's my one day off a week. I'd rather sit in than go to some party." you declared.
"I've been looking forward to this party though, but I need someone to go with."
You rolled your eyes. "Go with Yongguk."
"He can't go cause he's working in the morning." she countered.
An odd fluttering sensation formed in your chest.
"Yes you heard me right." she continued. "Whatever it is going on between you two.."
"Jakyung." you uttered in warning while cutting her off.
"I'm just saying." she scoffed. "You don't have to worry about being around him. He won't be there. But I will and again, I need someone to go with!"
You let out a heavy sigh. "I just want to.."
"On your next day off, it'll be all about you. We'll hang out at your place where you can lounge around in your pyjamas, we'll watch movies, eat ice cream." Her voice changed from high-pitched pleading to solemn. "I will rub. Your. Feet."
You snorted and smiled while shaking your head. "Ugh your so annoying."
"That's why you love me!" she sang.
Rolling your eyes once more, you asked her, "Where is this party at?" Then you quickly held the phone away from your ear as she loudly squealed.
Once she calmed down, she gave you the address. Considering the location, the two of you decided it would be better to met up there rather than traveling to someone's apartment. After hanging up, you reluctantly dragged yourself off of the couch and made your way to the bedroom.

Thankfully it was a short bus ride, and another short walk from the bus stop. Loud music poured out fo the front door every time it opened, with several people milling about outside. The house wasn't familiar to you but you did see a few familiar faces when you walked in. Friends you hadn't seen in a while instantly greeted you and you found yourself smiling happily. When you asked about Jakyung, they pointed you in the direction of the kitchen.
Jakyung was standing by the counter, mixing herself a drink in a plastic cup. With an evil grin, you silently tip-toed over to her and when you were right behind her, you growled and grabbed her waist.
"!" she yelped, pouring extra liquid from the alcohol bottle in to the cup.
"Got you." you teased as she rounded on you.
She laughed while pushing you, only to grab you and pull you in for a hug. "I'm so glad you made it, you have no idea." Then she turned back to her drink. With a sip of her concoction, she shook her head a few times and reached for the juice.
Not wanting to dip in to the hard liquor, you opened the fridge to find several packs of beer inside it. You grabbed yourself a bottle, intending to to take as long as you could to drink it. The last thing you wanted was to deal with a hangover tomorrow before you had to work.
"Jakyung!" Both of you turned to see a mutual friend hurry over with a mischievous grin on their face. "There's someone I want you to meet!" Then Jakyung was grabbed and dragged out of the room.
With a chuckle, you went to leave the kitchen as well to see who this mystery man was that Jakyung needed to meet. Just as you were about to step through the doorway, a person came around the corner and the two of you bumped in to each other.
"Oh sor.." You cut yourself off as you blinked at the guy in front of you.
Yongguk stared back at you in confusion. "What are you doing here?"
Collecting yourself, you narrowed your eyes to glare at him. "Well I was enjoying myself."
He scoffed and rolled his eyes before stepping past you. "Skipping work. No surprise."
You turned around to sneer at his retreating back. "It's my day off, . Which is much better than you going to work in the morning with a hangover and reeking of booze."
He came to a halt and spun around. "What??"
"Oh so you're hard of hearing..." You trailed off as a sudden thought came to you. Then you briefly closed your eyes and groaned. "You're not working, just like I'm not working. Jakyung lied to both of us."
Yongguk turned away and ran a hand through his way. "That conniving..." He swiftly went over to the refrigerator and retrieved a beer from it. Without another glance at you, he went out the backdoor.
He was clearly not planning on leaving which made your own decision for you. You took a swig of your beer as you headed over to the sink where you dumped the last of it out. You tossed the bottle in to the trash can before making your way to the living room. You searched the room for Jakyung so you could not only tell her that you were leaving, but also so you could tell her off for lying to you. When you didn't see her, you slipped past the various people towards the front door while waving dismissively at your other friends who were calling you over.
The front yard had a few more people standing away chatting than earlier, yet you didn't see Jakyung among them. Which meant that more than likely she was out back. Just your luck.
With a heavy sigh, you walked around the side of the house to the small backyard. As you looked around though, it appeared empty so you started to turn back to the front of the house.
"Now you're following me?"
You jumped a little, startled, and whirled around to face the direction the voice came from. Leaning against the house in the shadows, Yongguk took a drink his beer. "Don't flatter yourself." you scoffed. "I was just looking for Jakyung."
You went to walk away but stopped once more as he asked, "Why?"
You could feel your angry growing inside you. You didn't have to explain yourself, and certainly not to him. "To tell her I'm leaving. That okay with you?"
This time he scoffed. "Figures. I'll tell her you left so go ahead and run off already."
"What the hell does that mean?!" you questioned.
He straightened and took a couple of steps towards you. The light spilling out of the house illuminated his face so you could see his angry glare. "You know exactly what I'm talking about you two-faced !"
You took a challenging step forward as well. "Obviously I don't you ing idiot!"
"Enough!!"
Startled for a second time, you jumped and quickly looked over at the back door. Jakyung slammed the door behind her and then stalked towards both of you. "Enough already! Why do you always have to fight?!"
"Uh..." You blinked at her in shock and disbelief. "Ja..."
"No!" she interrupted. "I've had enough of this!" She pointed an accusing finger at you and Yongguk. "You two need to get your together and stop trying to rip out each other's throats! And I know there is something more between you two.."
"Don't." groaned Yongguk as his face reddened.
"Even if you two idiots refuse to see it!" she continued. "But if that's not enough, just do it for me!" Her eyes watered and a second later, tears rolled down her cheeks. "I lied to you cause I wanted you both here, okay?"
You could feel your heart crumbling as you stood frozen in place. Your own eyes watered as you watched your friend break down in front of you.
"The two of you are my best friends. My best friends." she sobbed. "And I don't want to have to choose between the two of you. I shouldn't have to. It hurts too much. So either fix this or... or... I won't have anything to do with either of you!" Then she turned and ran to the back door.
Your eyes widened as you inhaled sharply. "Wait!" you shouted as you went to chase after her. A hand grabbing your arm stopped you though and you turned towards Yongguk. He was staring at the ground, but you could tell that his eyes were watering as well.
"She's right." he stated in a quiet tone. "About everything." He looked up to meet your gaze. "We can't keep doing this."
Pressing your lips together, you rapidly blinked your eyes to stop yourself from crying. "Yeah." you agreed while nodding your head. "This needs to stop." Then you noticed the change in his eyes and it caused you to hold your breath. There was sadness there still, but now confusion and surprise too.
"You're actually worried about her." he uttered.
Your mouth dropped open. "What?? Of course I'm.."
Suddenly he moved forward and he cut off your words off with a kiss. You stiffened, confused by the dramatic change. The two of you had just been screaming at each other moments ago, and now here he was kissing you again.
He pulled back a little and let out a shaky breath. "I absolutely hate you. So why the are you driving me crazy?" Then he was kissing you once more.
With your heart hammering in your chest, a warm feeling flowed through your body. You closed your eyes and relaxed, focusing on his soft lips until your lips began to move in time with his. It wasn't like the first time. This kiss wasn't rough or forceful. There was no fighting. It was more like the two of you were synched together, becoming one.
You broke of the kiss and gasped for air. He pulled back enough to meet your gaze and you saw the same confusion as before in his eyes. "I hate you too." you uttered.
Instantly he moved forward and wrapped his arms around your waist. Your own arms circled his neck, causing your bodies to press up against each other as you started to kiss again. More vigorous and desperate, your tongues tasting each other. His fingertips dug in to you as his hold tightened and you trailed your hands upwards to grip his hair.
A sinking feeling grew in the pit of your stomach and you turned your head away from him. "No." you stated. Even with how right this felt, it felt wrong at the same time.
Yongguk continued hugging your for a few seconds before releasing you and taking a few steps back. He turned away and ran his hands through his hair. "."
A sharp twinge of pain bloomed in your chest at the thought of hurting his feelings. Which was really strange to you. That you suddenly cared about his feelings. "N-no, no. I... I just..."
"We can't even get along." he said as he turned to face you. There was no anger or sadness in his eyes, but a sort of realization.
You blinked at him in surprise. "So this is..."
"Too fast, and we should..."
"See if we can even get along..."
"Before we try to figure out what.... whatever this is." he finished quietly.
You took a deep breath and let it out slowly while nodding. "Yeah."
Then the two of you stood there silently, staring at each. When a tiny smile formed on his face though, you couldn't help but smile back at him. And then you were both blushing and shyly glancing away.

"Wait," Yongguk exclaimed all of a sudden as his face fell. "Jakyung was overly emotional."
It took a few moments before you realized what he was saying, then you inhaled sharply as your eyes widened. "And there's a house full of alcohol."
At the same time, both of you dashed for the back door. You looked away the kitchen and when you didn't see her, you headed to the living room.
"You see her?" Yongguk questioned.
"No." you answered, growing worried.
"I'll go out front, you search the rest of the house." He went to walk away but you hurriedly grabbed his hand as you noticed a commotion in the hallway. A guy was angrily banging on a closed door.
Pulling Yongguk behind you, you headed down the hallway. When you reached the door, the guy gave a frustrated growl.
"It's no use." he proclaimed as he walked away. "Some crazy locked herself in there."
Knocking on the door, you called out, "Jakyung?"
"Jakyung, are you in there?" yelled Yongguk as he pounded on the door as well.
"Go away!"
You let out a sigh of relief. "Jakyung, open the door please."
"I said go away!"
"We're not going to fight anymore" Yongguk insisted.
"We promise." you added. "No more fighting!"
"I don't believe you!"
You closed your eyes with a groan as Yongguk continued to try and reason with her. Then you suddenly blurted out, "We kissed again!"
The male beside you quickly stopped talking as he stared at you with a horrified look on his face. You gave him an apologetic look in return and indicated towards the door.
The sound of the door unlocking caught both of your attentions and when it opened, Jakyung was standing there. She swayed, barely able to stand, and held a bottle of hard liquor in her hand.
"You did?" she slurred, eyeing the two of you suspiciously.
"Uh... yeah." confessed Yongguk while blushing heavily.
Tears welled up in Jakyung's eyes and then she stumbled forward. You caught her and staggered a bit as she leaned her weight on you. As she cried on your shoulder, you rubbed her back soothingly and glanced over at Yongguk.
"I brought my car." he informed you. "Let's get her home."