PRELUDE TO A BATTLE

MORE THAN WHAT THE UNIVERSE CAN SEE

"Wow! Sashimi is great!"

Jungkook said with two thumbs up and smiling while munching and eyes fading into crescent moon.

"I know. Tae will envy us more because of this"

Jimin replied as he stuffed his face with another piece of sashimi. Jungkook laughed and nods his head in agreement.

"Let's shop after this, Kook. Help me out with Tae's requests"

Jimin said

"Sure thing, hyung"

Jungkook replied happily. The two continued to share more food that delighted their stomach so much that it'll burst. But of course, that's a hyperbole.

And as planned, Jimin and Jungkook went to Japan's shopping streets, trying to decide what clothes would suit Taehyung.

"Taehyung hyung is good in portraying fashion. This will be fine, hyung"

Jungkook said as he raises a striped red sweater

"Yeah. But isn't this black and white splitted sweater better?"

Jimin asked

"Yeah it's better, indeed. But you said it's pricey"

Jungkook replied

"Well..."

Jimin hesitated to answer and his eyebrows continues to furrow in confusion

"Hyung. Just buy that black and white sweater. This is a one time opportunity, hyung. Who knows when will you come back here?"

Jungkook persuaded which made Jimin smirk in agreement

"Yeah. You're making a lot of sense, Kook. I may die in a battle, anyway. Who knows this might be my last?"

Jimin said and finally made up his mind

"Yah, hyung. Don't say things like that. You're playing too far with your words"

Jungkook ranted

"Yah, hyung? You dropped the honorifics a second and then bring it back after. Wow"

Jimin commented. Jungkook just chuckled and the older ruffled his hair. Jimin paid the cashier and the two roamed around more before setting for dinner - matnani and street foods.

"Do you want to go somewhere before we head to the airport?"

Jimin asked Jungkook

"Hmmm, nothing really comes into my mind, hyung"

Jungkook honestly said. Jimin was about to answer but then he received a call from Namjoon

"Excuse me. I'll have to get this. Maybe Namjoon hyung has leads now on where you're hyung is"

Jimin asked permission to the younger. More like of letting him know the updates

"Sure, hyung"

Jungkook said excitedly. Thought he knows that he has a hyung named Jung Hoseok, it is still not clear to him about who he really is and where did he and Hoseok lives. 

Jimin then proceeded to the bathroom to take the call from Namjoon

"Hyung, any news?"

Jimin asked first as soon as he picked up his phone. But he only heard another sigh. Jimin chuckled, almost finding it hilarious that he’s been hearing Namjoon sigh every time he calls him.

"What is it, hyung? You're always sighing. Do you even notice that?"

Jimin said, trying to joke around his hyung.

"Jung Hoseok"

Namjoon said, not minding Jimin’s try of foolishness.

"Oh”

Jimin sounded disappointed as Namjoon didn’t take his bait.

“What about him, hyung?"

Jimin asked. His face turned serious as he felt that the older sounds so serious now

"I ran some investigations to that name"

Namjoon said

"And?"

Jimin remained patient despite the cliff-hanger words of Namjoon.

"I haven't found any traces of the man"

Namjoon said

"What do you mean, hyung?"

Jimin asked, his eyebrows now furrowed, his forehead a little bit wrinkled.

"Just like Jungkook, there's no Jung Hoseok registered as a Korean citizen"

Namjoom explained shorty but precise enough for Jimin to be haunted with his thoughts. He already had his hunch the moment Namjoon finished his words. But that hunch was ignored.

"Jimin-ah. That Jung Hoseok and Jeon Jungkook. They might be our cou-"

Namjoon's words were cut off. Jimin ended the call before his hyung ends up his sentence.

"This makes no sense"

Jimin mumbled to himself. He tried to calm down before going back to where Jungkook is - full of appetite, eating his bowl of matnani.

"Hyung. This is really amazing! I wish I could bring some to Taehyung hyung”

Jungkook exclaimed as he munched a mouthful of matnani noodles

"Ah hyung, is there a news about Hoseok hyung?"

Jungkook asked, expectant about the news he was waiting since last night. He believes that soldiers like Jimin gets informations faster. Well, that’s what his Taehyung hyung told him.

"Not yet"

Jimin shortly replied. Jungkook's shoulder's sulkened for a bit but tried his best to lighten up for his Jimin hyung

"It's okay, hyung. I still can't remember anything aside from just knowing his name. I can't give enough leads"

Jungkook said and pouted. Jimin chuckled but his eyes are suspicious.

"You can take your time remembering, Kook. It's not something to rush about"

Jimin said

"Eat up"

Jimin added. 'Not registered? Who are you, Jungkook-ah?', these thoughts run over Jimin's head. He won't believe his owns suspicions. No, he is refusing to believe his suspicions. This  is all just nonsense, he said.

*

Two more turns and one more round, Jimin will finally finish the driving game at first place. It's 2am, and he is still up and playing games on his phone, still trying to battle against his thoughts.

Jungkook is fast asleep now but his strange dreams as he call, won't leave him enough even if he is already sleeping.

And now he dreams about a battlefield, gunshots everywhere and smoke covering lines of sight. Hoseok was the only person clear in his dream.

He's holding a rifle and is firing his gun towards a certain direction. And without his own will, he looked at himself, wearing the same clothes as Hoseok, and the same arm band that is black in color, with a red colored base flag of Korea, instead of the white base.

One word came to his realization - REBELS, foe of the nation, people against the South Korean government, but not that of an ally to the North. They're just people who can't stand the government and moves on their own perception of what is right.

Jungkook tries to shaken up his dreams, only finding himself up on a tree, eyeing towards someone, his rifle. Cold sweat is now covering his face and Jimin started to try to wake him up.

Jungkook is still stuck on his dreams. He sighted enough to be able to make him decide to pull the trigger. But he missed the target for someone pulled him out of danger. To his surprise, he saw someone so familiar, yet still blurry. And the gun was shot towards his direction.

"Jeon Jungkook! Wake up!"

Jimin still tries and Jungkook finally found his hyung's voice and he was able to open his eyes.

"Did you have a bad dream?"

Jimin asked. Jungkook shook his head no. It wasn't a bad dream, he said to himself. It looked so real to him.

"I'll get you some water"

Jimin said and went straight to the fridge. Jungkook curled his feet up to where he can rest his elbows as he places his forehead on his palm.

"You are not that man, Jungkook-ah"

He mumbled to himself

"Kook, have some water"

Jimin tapped his shoulders to make him drink and so he did.

"Hyung"

Jungkook started

"Can I take some time to walk alone outside?"

He asked

"Well, if that will ease your thoughts"

Jimin said, agreeing. And so Jungkook went outside of their hotel room and made his way to stroll around the streets near their hotel.

He was walking calmly and quiet. His mind is blank even if he tried hard to make himself remember, when someone pulled him back. 

His eyes widened. 

He must be dreaming, but it was not a dream. 

At all.