Part 2

And Then One Day

Jinwoo had gone on another venture. Sometimes that happened. Overnight, he would get on a plane, a private jet, and spend a few days in a different city on the other side of the globe. Without letting his girlfriend or Seungyoon know, he would go to Dubai, Paris or LA and return with a few kitschy gifts.

 

Jisoo let out a small sigh after telling Seungyoon about it. “He didn't even call.” She pouted as she stabbed her fork into a piece of lettuce. She had gotten salad with chicken and yogurt dressing but she had no appetite at all. She pushed the bowl over to Seungyoon.

 

“Can you finish it for me?”, she asked. In reality, she had hardly eaten a few bites. Seungyoon suspected that she did it for different reasons as he looked down at his own meager lunch that consisted only of a small sandwich.

 

“Please?” She insisted.

 

“I-...” He found himself lost in her eyes. The darkness, the depth, the way they seemed to brighten whenever she turned to him. “Ok.” And so, he found himself giving in. The small favors, he argued in his mind. The small favors, that was ok. Right? Somehow, she hadn't insisted on getting him the job anymore, but Seungyoon didn't know whether she had actually accepted defeat or if the mere fact just slipped her mind.

 

While he started eating the salad, she began rummaging through her bag until she produced some gum. She popped some into and then bit her lip softly. “Actually”, she said, her eyes suddenly downcast as if shy, “can you do me a favor?”