First Meeting

Snap
“So…” Woohyun starts five minutes into detention, “what brings you here?”
 
There was only one other boy in the room and he ignores the question in favor of his book. Woohyun pouts at that, cheeks puffed, and drops his head down to rest on his arms on the desk. He thinks of how dandy it is that out of all the people in the school, he gets stuck with an anti-social bookworm for an hour. Five minutes in and he already feels like he’s dying.
 
“Fell asleep in class,” the other boy answers a moment later, eyes never leaving the book, “You can stop sulking now.”
 
“Was not sulking,” Woohyun mutters under his breath. Not even bothering to make small talk since the other won’t even look at him. He opts to sleep instead.
 
“You do know that introducing yourself first is common courtesy right? Or is that too hard for your brain to handle? Hitting the soccer ball with your head probably killed a few brain cells.” the other says after a moment of silence. Woohyun opens his eyes to see the other boy looking at him, the book abandoned on the other boy’s desk.
 
“Nam Woohyun. Though you should know that considering you just implied my being involved in soccer,” he extends his hand, infamous smirk on his face.
 
“Cocky much?” the other says, mirroring the smirk.
 
“I introduced myself, shouldn’t you return the favor?”
 
“Kim Sunggyu,” he says, shaking the other’s hand.
 
“Kim Sunggyu…we have ethics at fourth together if I’m not mistaken.”
 
Sunggyu’s face shows surprise only for a nano second before it changes back to indifference. Woohyun sees it though. “Surprised? I actually do pay attention in class you know.”
 
“I guess I underestimated you Nam Woohyun.”
 
“Stereotyping me I see,” he leans back on his chair and crosses his arms, “Well, I’m not your typical stupid high school jock.”
 
“I gathered that. You never mentioned why you’re in detention though. Like you said before, I mentioned mine, shouldn’t you return the favor?”
 
“Touché,” he smirks, “If you really must know, I was punished for talking too much in class. Is it my fault that she’s boring and that I’m excited for winter break? Which should have started already if I wasn’t stuck here in detention.”
 
“I’m hurt. You find me that boring Nam Woohyun?”
 
“Au contraire my friend, I find you rather amusing. Better than most of my teammates that’s for sure. Should we exchange numbers? I predict a great friendship budding from this conversation alone.” Sunggyu lightly punches him in the shoulder.
 
They exchange numbers just as their teacher walks in and yells at them for using their phones in school. As punishment, she makes them clean five classrooms in an hour, leaving them alone every once in a while. In those short breaks they do get, they stop cleaning and talk about basically anything under the sun. They find a few things in common like their interest in music and a few things they completely disagree on like the girls in their classes.
 
They bid goodbye to each other at the MRT station, a smile on both their faces and Woohyun walks home with a skip in his step. It looks like he’ll have fun being friends with Kim Sunggyu.