lunch time

delectable endeavor

Jiho knows a thing or two about the city that she's now living in, one of it is about how bland the food in Seoul is (thanks to Minseok endless complaints). But it wasn't until lunch time that Jiho understands why Minseok always came back to Seoul with an eternity worth of side dishes and vegetables. Maybe it's showing too much on her face because Sujeong and Cheng Xiao are looking at her very intently.

"You okay? I guess the food here might taste a bit different," Jiho smiles a bit, she thinks that Sujeong does that to people. "Cheng Xiao also had troubles with the taste before." 

Cheng Xiao nods, shyly smiling at Jiho. "It was a bit bland? Although I've heard our school lunches are the best in the area."

Jiho nods and continues to chew the cherry tomato, compared to the one that Mingyu's family farm produces this tastes almost like nothing. Spring produced vegetables should taste sweeter with every bite, this one, however, does not. The food wasn't bad per se, it just lacks the fresh taste. The wide variety of food takes her to a night she shared with Mingyu and Yoobin. On spring coldest night, with her hands shoved deep in her pockets and knees that touched each other, they sat together in the middle of the step-stone bridge. It was the night before she departed to Seoul and they all came with the most delicious food they can find in their own house, an unforgettable feast. Jiho stares at the packed rice drink in her hand. There are no rice grains that floats, unlike Yoobin's. It's milky white, unlike her mom's slightly translucent one. It tastes sickly sweet, unlike one she made back then.

It's her first day at school, and Jiho misses Okcheon already.

 

 

"Jaehyun, she's picky about food like how you used to be back then." Yuju laughs silently. "Okay, she also commented that it tastes bland- in which I don't agree." 

"It could be better." 

"It tastes good." 

Jaehyun buries the bubbling sigh, and throw a glance at Dokyeom. A sign for help, that's more like it. The later smiles and pats Yuju head softly, changing the topic of the conversation.  “It's good to see someone who appreciates their food,” Jaehyun says half to himself, eyes trailing Jiho as she leaves the canteen. Chaeyeon suddenly grabs on to Eunwoo's sleeves, her face light up with a knowing look “Hey, look at Jaehyun.”

“Intrigued Jaehyun is new, even for me.” Eunwoo chuckles, playing with his food. “I guess that happens when your mom has crazy skills in cooking” he adds.

Yuju explodes into a small excited fit, hitting Dokyeom and Jaehyun in the process. “Hey, so what's up with the two of you? I saw you get that cute little package” She scoots closer to Jaehyun while the others put out their intrigued faces, h
e shakes his head and let out a dry chuckle "It's a thank you gift."

"That's it?" Yuju leans closer to Jaehyun, head tilting to the right. 

"Yeah," Jaehyun flicks her forehead before throwing an unapologetic smile to Dokyeom as Yuju cringes away from the blow. "Besides, we barely knew each other."

 

 

Jiho sighs and digs her phone out of her bag.

Kim Mingyu

She presses the call button.