banana milk

delectable endeavor

Jaehyun didn't get to see the stranger again that day, nor the day after. Even though he went to Mimi's for lunch for two days consecutively and although the seafood noodles had successfully shifted his focus on how good it tastes, it wasn't until long until the strangers show up again in his mind - or should he say the whereabouts of his sweatshirt?

"If it bothers you so much, just go ask Mihyun about her." Johnny slurps his remaining black bean noodles. "Here, I'll text her to save your precious time."

Jaehyun threw a slight smile at Johnny, "Can't believe we connect on spiritual level already."

 

----------

 

Spring has come again along with rays of light among pink petals and thin branches. Jaehyun let the drowsiness take control of him after he made a mental note to ask Chaeyeon for her notes later. Instead of solving the math equation on the whiteboard, he watches a mystical performance where cherry blossom petals dance in the air before falling on the grey concrete and onto someone's head.

Brown long hair.

Cat-like eyes.

It's her, dressed in a uniform similar to his.

As if her existence alone wasn't enough to jolt Jaehyun awake, she then starts to mouth something. Jaehyun was never good at reading lips (especially when the other person is two floors away. What is it? Banana Milk?

"Banana Milk?" He mouths the word carefully. She nods enthusiastically. A cat wandering around, Jaehyun thinks. His head full of unanswered question.

"Hey, class president." Chaeyeon nudges his foot. "Mr. Park wants you to help him to collect the homework."

 

 

The trip to Mr. Park office from Jaehyun's class only took 7 minutes, but he came back thirty minutes later due to the endless 'let's think about the university you can go' talk session. He thinks it's unreasonable, how those people are chasing after him (or after the thank you money from his parents) instead of trying to help his classmates who actually need their guidance and help in achieving their dreams or those who don't even know what they want to do in the future. But maybe that's just how society is, no one will care for you unless you possess certain things. He hates himself, and the people that are chasing after him for superficial things. He tries to let out his frustration by kicking the empty air. He doesn't have time for this.

The door opens, and the whole class looks at him. It’s a few minutes before lunchtime. He tenses when he spots an unusual scene. He might have entered at the wrong moment. A girl with long brown hair, large cat eyes, hugging a brown paper bag. He's seen her before, a few days ago or maybe an hour ago. He heads straight for his seat, eyes glued to Ms. Kwon and the youth next to her.

"Okay right, now that everybody is here. That was our class president, Jung Jaehyun." Ms. Kwon clears . "You can introduce yourself."

"Thank you." While beaming she continues, "My name is Kim Jiho, from Okcheon. I hope we all can get along well together, Thank you."

"Sujeong. Who's sitting next to you?" The homeroom teacher points at a seat behind Jaehyun's. He can almost hear all joints in his body trying to stay still. He sits as still as a rock when she passes through, leaving a faint scent of baby powder.

A tap on his shoulder brings him back to reality. "Here." Jiho slides the brown paper bag with her feet. 

He about to protests, but she’s already engaged in a conversation with Sujeong. He opens the brown bag and smiles a little. Two bottles of banana milk and his navy sweatshirt accompanied with a yellow sticky note.

 

Jung Jaehyun,

Thank you for the random act of kindness. Mihyun said Hi.

- Kim Jiho

 

The bell rings, and Kim Jiho disappears between hundreds of greetings and questions thrown her way as she drowns into the crowd, made up of their classmates. Jaehyun leans back into his chair, thinking to himself. 

 

Their official introduction can wait.