savory broth

delectable endeavor

The first thing that Jaehyun eat today is a cup of oatmeal soaked in milk, sprinkled on top are some brown sugar. Not an ideal breakfast, he thought to himself while chewing the mushy mixture. Compared to the other options that he has now, this sure is the most convenient one. 

He stares at the pouring rain outside, wishing for Jhonny to come earlier. - His shift will start at 12 and Jhonny is not exactly an early bird. The last bite feels like a punishment to him. But the real trouble did not come until another five minutes. It came in a form of a human. Looking visibly upset as she tries to wring the water out of her long brown locks on top of the cushion that he just took out from the laundry yesterday. Well, here's to another trip to the laundry mat. He grabs the nearest menu and starts to make his way to his first costumer for today.

Upon a closer look, Jaehyun feels the need to correct himself. His trouble came in a personification of a cat. Eyes twinkling under the lightbulbs, shooting daggers of vigilance at him. "Is there anything that I can help you with?" He tries to sound as gentle as possible, she might lash out at him anytime and he doesn't want that.

The girl throws him a slight glance, looking visibly uncomfortable. "Yeah, can I see the menu?"

Again, Jaehyun tries to give it to her in a way that won't make her feel even more uncomfortable than she already is. She snatches the menu from his hand at a lightning speed, enough for a small exclaim to escape from his lips. He steals a glance at her, did she hear that? He hopes that she didn't. "We recommend our newest beans from Puerto Rico for a strong fruity flavor..." He noticed her knitted eyebrows, and how she ever so slightly shakes her head. "Or maybe a sweeter and milder vienna coffee?"

Jaehyun can almost see how the wheels in her head turn and stop when she awkwardly clears . "One cup of hot vienna coffee then." She shoves the menu back. She reminds him of his childhood, the alleyway and how the kittens disappeared every time it rains, empty cardboard boxes, and deafening silence that greets him after school. She brings rain inside the cafe, and into his mind. He doesn't want another cat to disappear - in this case, a personification of one.

Jaehyun returns behind the counters, the humming espresso machine puts him deeper in thoughts. He checks the employee room again, trying to find another freshly cleaned saucer when his eyes fell on his navy sweater.  He considers giving it to the shivering stranger but then realizes that she will probably throw another sharp gaze at him - an unpleasant gaze. Jaehyun imagines that she feels disturbed by the unnecessary action that he'll do, not even an hour after they first see each other.

Making her coffee is the only reasonable thing to do – Taeil will probably scold him back to back if he knows that he left the espresso machine on without anyone looking over it. He doesn't enjoy interacting with strangers, and she shouldn't be his only exception. He couldn't really risk the chance of losing a customer over something unnecessary.

The beeping sound snaps him aware of his own doings again. Holding his navy sweater close to his pounding chest, he's back facing the employee room door. He mulls over it for a good ten seconds – Does he really wants to interfere other people's business? Is she gonna be alright with this; or will they lose a new potential customer? The most important question might be: will they meet again?

He knows the answer is a no, although Jaehyun hopes for the opposite. This girl isn’t worth his time but he does it anyway. Balancing her drink and the sweater, he taps her shoulder slowly. Yeah, her amusing expression does worth his time.

 

----------

 

The girl dropped the cold facade as soon as they talked about MImi's. She is as mesmerizing as she is silly. He never really encounters anyone who dries their hair with a hand dryer, until today. Although, he slightly regrets that they didn't get to talk more. He has better things to do, such as looking for Taeil's lucky charm - a way to stop the older guy from calling every ten minutes.

"Hey, Jeffrey." Johnny calls him as he arranges the saucers into a stack. "Who is that ball of sunshine that came earlier?"

"Ball of sunshine?"

"Yeah. Brown hair, big eyes, navy sweate-" 

"Oh right, yeah I don't know." Johnny wasn't exactly the type to let things go once he noticed something and Jaehyun already knows that this gonna be a long conversation the moment Johnny raised his eyebrows, throwing him a knowing look. "Right of course. I thought she might have stolen your sweater. But hey, I won't give a damn if you don't"

Reaching into his pocket, he continues. "I heard everything from the locker room. Since it's now lunch time, are we gonna eat your favorite jjamppong or not? I'll be outside smoking if you need me."

Jaehyun was never a big fan of Jaehyun's smug smile - no matter how much the customers raved about it. But it wasn't until today that he hates it. It's not because he eavesdrops, but it's because he can read Jaehyun like an open book. 

Well, it's settled now that the lunch menu for today is Jjamppong.

Mimi's Jjamppong.