Tiffany

Brothers and Sisters

Tiffany. Was a hopeless romantic. If she’s just an ordinary girl, and a bigger part of Korean younger generation didn’t know her, she might spend her leisure time shopping. But since it was impossible, she spent her time -- when she’s not busy hopping between countries in planes, dancing and seducing people on stage, or knocking people down with her eye smiles – watching dramas.

She could watch everything. From those targeted for ahjummas, and those made for junior high kids. From those that dried your tears out, to those that made you giggled and cackled like mad. From the famous ones, with mega stars and impressive ratings, to the meager ones, with no recognizable names in it.

She always dreamt to have a romantic love story, with a handsome guy who would sweep her off her feet and kiss her senselessly. She was close to a lot of male celebrities. Her sunbaes and hoobaes, and other males outside SM. She was cheerful and adorable. Not that she was a playgirl, but it’s easy for her to communicate with boys.

When Seo Hyeon was casted in We Got Married, she was worried for her. She was the first who stressed with Yong Hwa, through her writing in their album cover, that he should never, ever hurt Seo Hyeon, or else he would face the wrath of her eight unnies.

But honestly? She just couldn’t deny the envy she felt.

How luckier could Seo Hyeon be? To be casted together with Jung Yong Hwa, to be permitted to act like lovers with him, husband and wife, even, and do lots of sweet things together, making memories and filling each other’s hearts.

Tiffany followed Minamishineyo loyally, and fell in love with the character Kang Shin Woo. And the guy who played it. He was, to put it plainly, damn right gorgeous. She liked the idea that this Jung Yong Hwa could sing, play guitar, and rap too. She was so excited that he would release a single with his band, CNBLUE.

It was safe to say that Tiffany had a mild crush with Jung Yong Hwa. Meeting him in Star Golden Bell even strengthened her admiration more. And then bam! Seo Hyeon would be “married” with him.

To put it simply, Tiffany was jealous. Even more so as the show revealed how taken Yong Hwa was to Seo Hyeon. How intrigued he was everytime Seo Hyeon said something unpredictable. How he followed her moves with his eyes. How he patiently guided her to trust him, to respond, and to answer his affection.

More than once, she wished she was at Seo Hyeon’s place.

But then, everytime she remembered that occasion, her jealousy was swept away.

For a couple of years, she slept with Seo Hyeon in the same room. They spent a great time together. She got teased a lot with her weird Korean. But Seo Hyeon was someone she could always trust. The others tricked her, making her say outrageous things while telling her it meant something else. Seo Hyeon always said the right meaning. Teaching her the right ways to pronounce things. When she asked, “Why don’t you ever try to do that? Trick me to say silly things because I don’t know the meaning?”.

“I hate to lie, Unnie. I won’t if I can help it” she said, a month after they shared a room together.

Just like that, Seo Hyeon caught a piece of Tiffany’s heart.

Often, before they sleep, Tiffany practiced difficult Korean words, while in turn, she helped Seo Hyeon’s English by talking to her. They sang Mariah Carey’s songs together, under their own blankets, looking at their ceilings, over and over until Seo Hyeon pronounced everything right.

But there was one thing that sealed their bond. Forever, for Tiffany.

One night, she woke up abruptly, dreaming of her mother. It’s been a while since she cried, and she was crying when she opened her eyes. She had promised herself to be strong. And she rarely drown again in sadness, of the fact that she didn’t have a mother anymore. But the dream was sweet, and vivid, and heartbreaking. It was about her and her mom dancing together to the song of Sleeping Beauty in their little kitchen. It was one of her happiest childhood memory.

Dreaming it only made her remember again how she wasn’t there anymore.

She opened her drawer, took a framed picture, and went out to the bathroom to cry her eyes out.

If only, if only you were still here. I wanted to know what you would say about how hard I work. What would you say when you see me dance. What would you think when you knew I give everything I got for this.

Sadness caught the better of her. And she spent around twenty minutes crying alone, her sobs echoing on the bathroom tiles, before she heard a knock on the door.

She didn’t answer, but Seo Hyeon still came in.

“Unnie? What’s wrong?”

“S—sorry. Did I wake you up?”

“No. I woke up by myself. I saw your empty bed, and I’m—a bit worried”

“I’m—“ a sob hitched her breath, “f—fine”.

Seo Hyeon sat on the cold floor beside her. “You don’t look fine”.

Tiffany stared at her. Seo Hyeon’s small face was etched with genuine concern.

She immediately saw the framed picture she was holding tight.

“She’s pretty” she commented. And that made Tiffany fell into another series of sobs.

Seo Hyeon sat quietly for a while, just looking at her. And then she reached out and wiped Tiffany’s tears with her hands.

“I don’t have—her anymore. And I miss her—so much” she said, tracing her fingers on the picture.

“You have us” Seo Hyeon assured.

Tiffany froze. “We’re here, Unnie. You’re not alone”.

That night, she clung to Seo Hyeon’s words. Her words saved her. More so, when she continued,

“I call you unnie. So I think you can have my Mom too. I’ll share my Mom with you”

One second, two, and three. And Tiffany threw her arms around Seo Hyeon and cried on her shoulders.

“It’s going to be alright, Unnie. You’re going to be okay” Seo Hyeon said, hugging her too.

That night, Seo Hyeon said all the words she needed to hear. And she had believed
Seo Hyeon. Every word. And it was true. Seo Hyeon made her mother cooked for Tiffany, called and asked how she was doing, cooked soup when she was sick, and gave her presents and cards when she had birthdays.

So. Whether it’s Jung Yong Hwa or Prince Charming. Her jealousy for romance was far less than her love for Seo Hyeon. The feeling was there. But it was insignificant compared to her wish to see Seo Hyeon happy.

When she saw Seo Hyeon preparing to wrap the new couple ring, Tiffany said, “Jung Yong Hwa is one lucky guy”.

Seo Hyeon giggled. “Waeyo, unnie?”.

“Well, he got you. Uri Seo Hyeonnie”.

Tiffany swore she saw tears shone in her eyes. But Seo Hyeon shook her head, squeezed Tiffany’s hand, and continued with her scissors and glitter pens.

Yes. Jealous I may be. Envious I may be. But I know full well, that you deserve every minute of this happiness. Maybe even more.