Sunny

Brothers and Sisters

Sunny loved to act cute. She’s the master of gaining attention with sweet voice, adorable face expressions, and the wink of her eyes. But inwardly, Sunny was quite a sensible girl. Being the niece of Lee Soo Man had put her under lime light. Not in a positive way, for her. In the beginning of her career as an SNSD member, people saw her as the one person that SM decided without fairness. 

I mean come on, the niece of Lee Soo Man? How can that be fair?

Nobody knew her pain, except maybe her eight friends. The prejudice made her worked harder, practiced more, and strived to be better. Sometimes, she pushed herself harder than her strength could handle, but she felt she had to. She wanted to prove, that she was more than just “The niece”.

To tell you the truth, her friends completely forgot she’s the niece most of the time. She’s funny. She’s a hard worker. She’s loyal. She cared for each one of them a lot. She never protested with the schedules or the endless rehearsals. The only thing that reminded them of her family was when she had a vacation and when asked where did she went : she would say, to my uncle. Was it fun? It was alright. And she would steer the conversation to other topics.

Sunny had a lot of fighting spirit in her. She loved her eight sisters so much, because really, they never treated her less than a best friend. That’s why, she was really concerned when Seo Hyeon joined We Got Married.

Seo Hyeon had always been a lovely friend. In her, Sunny found someone who she could share her life with. Her dreams, her thoughts, and her feelings. Except the fact that Seo Hyeon would unceremoniously threw away her fast food meals or the fact that she’s tall, Sunny adored everything in Seo Hyeon.

She watched how Seo Hyeon bravely faced everything in the show. From trying to accept Jung Yong Hwa, to trying to be more relaxed, trying the skinship, all those little books and cards and presents and that scarf. Seo Hyeon defeated every obstacles like it’s a hard song to play on her piano, a higher note to reach, or just another complicated dance she must memorize.

And yet, Sunny knew, there was something more. Seo Hyeon used her emotion in everything she did that is related to Jung Yong Hwa.

One thing she treasured, one thing she always shared with Seo Hyeon. Everytime they have to pose for the camera sweetly, more often than not, Seo Hyeon called her to her side to practice a pose.

“Show me, Unnie. Teach me your aegyo. Help me to look good in this one”.

And Sunny always readily assisted her. In winking, in flicking hairs, in posing with a hand on her waist and a leg popped up, in winking, or even a cute greeting. She would give an example and Seo Hyeon would follow to the dot. Her “Unnie! Gomawoyo!” was like a gift she’d always keep.

One day, after they walked out from a restaurant after lunch, Seo Hyeon was walking close to her. Randomly, she slipped her hand under Sunny’s arm and held her hand like that.

Sunny had smiled and asked, “What is it, Hyunnie? Suddenly you feel like cuddling with me?”

Seo Hyeon laughed sheepishly. “Aniyo. I’m rehearsing”.

“Rehearsing? For what?”

Seo Hyeon just gave her a look, together with raising her eyebrows.

“Ah. Ah, this? You mean, you’re going to—to hold Jung Yong Hwa’s hand like this?”

“I’m trying to”

“Ooooh” Sunny exclaimed in fascination. She realized that this was like a milestone for the maknae. A giant leap in courage.

“Why?” she asked, looking straight into Seo Hyeon.

“Um….because I think….it’s time? He’s been so patient with me. So kind. He’s been following my pace all along. This time, I want to assure him that I feel the same”.

For several seconds, Sunny had the urge to scream at her adorable sister, or hug her, or just (maybe) cried. She opted for the second, grabbing Seo Hyeon and hugging her tight in the restaurant lobby, while people looked at their antics.

“Un—unnie?” Seo Hyeon tried.

“You’re adorable. And you’re growing up. Why do you have to grow up?”

“Neeee?” Seo Hyeon asked, laughing at her.

Sunny let her go and held her hand as they walked together to the car.

“It doesn’t matter. I think it’s a smart move. He’ll definitely like it”

“You think so?”

“Sure of it”

“Do you think I’ll be able to do it? When uh—the time comes?”

“I’m sure you will. After all, you’re uri Seo Hyeonnie. You’ll get what you want when you set your heart in it. Unnie will cheer you on!”

“Hehe. Gomawoyo unnie”

“Shall we practice again?”

“Oh. Sure. Practice makes perfect right?”

“Right!” Sunny affirmed whole heartedly.

Seo Hyeon let go, stepped back, walked closer to Sunny, and slipped her hand. Sunny held her tight, and together, they walked with a smile on their faces, hands tangled together.