360°

Turn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*~*~*~*

Irene’s arrival at the party really amped up the place.

Unsurprisingly, she was a really popular alumni and her being there was a big deal. News travelled fast and sure enough, after just barely 20 minutes of being there, she managed to fill up the whole basement; both with members and outsiders. The party was getting livelier and livelier by the minute.

Meanwhile, through the help of her black mundane outfit, Seulgi managed to avoid Irene so far. She jammed herself in a makeshift drink bar near the farthest corner of the basement. At first, it was meant to be just her drink bar, but one drunk kid led to another drunk kid and boom; she’s suddenly mixing drinks here and there. The pesky freeloaders kept on coming back and shaking her hand for giving them ‘one heck of an experience with gnarly alcohols’ to which Seulgi replied, “Thanks. Don’t come back.” Honestly. They were seriously high on placebo effect because all that Seulgi handed them was apple juice spiked with some Sprite and or Diet Coke.

In the process of pretending to be a bartender, Wendy managed to awkward disco dance her way to Seulgi’s location. The taller girl stifled a laugh that met karate chop to the head.

“Where the heck have you been?” she screamed over the loud music. “I have been looking for you for almost 30 minutes now.”

“Party got wild too soon” Seulgi yelled back.

“Why are you at the corner? Aren’t you supposed to be having fun? And why the heck are you serving drinks? This is supposed to be our party Seul, we’re the ones that should be served.” As soon as she said that, she gripped the hand of a young man that was holding a drink from of Seulgi, “Ey man give that here. You’re not even a member you freeloader.”

Seulgi chuckled as Wendy downed the drink in one gulp. When she put down the red solo cup, she quickly turned to her roommate who was smirking.

“Tell me that was at least rum and coke and not one of your baby versions of cocktails.” Seulgi just raised both of her hand in surrender. Wendy chucked the empty cup at her. “Ugh. What are you, six?”

Wendy was still dancing her weird combination of what Seulgi thinks is the running man and the sprinkler. She can never be too sure. Then she abruptly stopped and remembered her errand. She took of the sling of her friend’s bag over her head and handed it to Seulgi.

“Your phone is already inside. Found it under your bed. Checked the messages too-“ Seulgi was about to open her bag but froze when she heard Wendy. She slowly let her gaze meet hers. “I think that heads up was unnecessary. This crowd alone is a living indicator that she’s here” to Wendy’s relief, Seulgi smiled.

“Yeah, you’re probably right..”

“Hey, don’t you dare pull that a pout yah big baby. It’s been 3 years, IT UP!”

Wendy was not really sure how to put her thoughts into words especially on matters regarding Irene. After that day when she graduated, Seulgi just reverted back to being herself over the span of the vacation. But deep inside her, Wendy was sure that she was still a bit hesitant on what happened. So she just blurted out a phrase that seemed tough.

“Whatever you say Wendy-yah, don’t worry” Wendy nodded at this reply. “Say, why aren’t you there at the middle? Show them your unique dance moves!”

“Yah KkangSeul-“ Seulgi’s roommate wagged a finger in front of her face. “I could do without that sarcasm of yours. But sine I’m kinda already hammered, I’ll let it slide.”

“Thanks?

“You’re most certainly welcome boring sober peasant.” She shuffled her way to the middle of the dance floor. “Party soon KkangSeul! Besides, that corner can’t be your safe haven forever~~!!”

That cryptic warning made Seulgi turn to look around alarmingly. Sure enough, just a couple of meters away from her was the one person in that joint which she was avoiding. Her immediate dash gathered a few groans from her ‘apple juice earned’ patrons. She was beelining for the door but that task seemed impossible due to the insane amount of people blocking every plausible path. Seulgi just settled on abandoning her earlier post and finding new refuge in some crappy bean bags that were lying near the makeshift stage. They were avoided by many and true enough; Seulgi was the only one sitting there.

The bean bags were killing her . But, it was a small price to pay just to become invisible in the party again. The place was a great find too. The stage casted a convenient shadow over the area where the bean bags where located and the constant change of color of the lights made them much harder to find. And, she was kinda exhausted on mixing drinks. Those kids really love their apple juice and soda.

Of course, Seulgi didn’t go fully unnoticed by the people in the party. Some familiar faces still managed to chat with her for a few moments or at least wave a hand in her direction. Krystal was with Kai and Sehun and they sat there for a while before leaving due to the damage that the bean bags inflicted on their bottoms. Seulgi also saw a few of her underclassmen in the forms of Dahyun, Mina, Lisa and Yeri who were attracting people’s attention due to their overly enthusiastic dancing. Wendy also saw her and gave her a very drunk and goofy smile which made Seulgi a little worried. She signalled an okay sign to Wendy to which the other girl replied with a two thumbs up and a loud burp.

Seulgi glanced at her watch. It was already 12:42 am and the general mood of the party was off the charts. Empty solo cups littered everywhere; various tables have been set up for almost every kind of party game; people not familiar to Seulgi were flooding in; and the music was blaring up enough to shake the whole establishment. Seulgi was just glad that they were nearing vacation otherwise they’ll be in very deep trouble.

“Decided to play the role of a ninja tonight now sunbae?” a voice suddenly said. Seulgi glanced and the figure of Hwasa suddenly appeared on the bean bag across her; a heart attack almost graced her. She noticed that the younger girl managed to change her clothes amidst all the partying. Hwasa was now wearing a body hugging red dress that made her look more intimidating but at y at the same time.

“Geez!” Seulgi shrieked. “Could you stop doing that? Honestly, with that skill of yours, you’re the ninja between the two of us... Well, except for what you’re wearing.... Isn’t it hard for you to move around wearing that?”

Hwasa laughed a little loudly. “If that’s your way of saying that I looked pretty then thank you sunbae.” Seulgi’s cheeks flushed. “Why aren’t you dancing there?” Then Hwasa pretended to tap her fingers on her chin causing Seulgi to get a little irritated and amused at the same time.

“I’m not in the party mood and I promised Wendy that I’ll take her home” Seulgi comfortably replied. The key to handling Hwasa was to not give her any more reasons or facts that she may use against you.

“Ah” Hwasa replied. Seulgi was surprised with the lack of any form of quip. They continued to watch the ongoing party.

“So what brings you here at my desolated torture chamber?” That came out way wrong and it sent Hwasa to a laughing mess. Seulgi really need to watch her words more.

“’Desolated torture chamber’ ha-ha. That’s a good one. I’m actually resting.”

“Resting? I haven’t seen you do any emceeing of any sort Ms. Ahn.”

“Well to be fair, we set this whole thing up so I deserve all the rest thank you very much.”

“Oh, yeah right.”

“But you did notice that I haven’t done my emceeing bit” a slight malicious tone creept into Hwasa’s voice. Uh oh.

“Well... Yeah. I specifically remember your text saying that you’ll emcee for the night. You said that it’ll make the party ‘awesome’.”

“Oh, it will.”

That emphasis on the last part left Seulgi both curious and scared for whatever reason there may be. Hwasa sat a little more and fiddled her phone for a couple of minutes before glancing at the door. As soon as she did that, the door burst open welcoming Wheein and Joy barged in together signalling at Hwasa.

“Ah. I guess that my emceeing bit starts now” she smirked. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some job to do. I’ll leave you and your old age here.” She wagged a finger at Seulgi, “You better participate or else. Wheein’s text explained it right?”

“What?” then the older girl tried to recall Wheein’s text. She gulped. “’You’ll knock down my door?’”

“Great!” then she gave Seulgi one last wink and proceeded to the stage.

Seulgi grimaced. What on earth is that devilish little girl up to now?! She quickly scanned the room for Wendy and she was thankful that she located her easily due to the traffic cone (?) that is now on her head. Seulgi quickly weaved her way in the crowd, ducking here and there to make sure that her face won’t catch anyone’s attention.

“There you are” she said as she grabbed one of Wendy’s arms that she’s been throwing around violently. “We have to go. I think that you’re way past your limit anyways.” She gently tugged her friend’s arm but to no avail. Wendy stayed where she was.

“But K-KkangSheul~~~” she slurred. The stench of alcohol reached Seulgi’s nose instantaneously. “The plantsh haven’t thrown a pea NOR a cabbage~~!!! And I wore thish pish of armor too~~” pointing at the traffic cone at her head. No good; she was drunk as heck. Wendy had a pretty high tolerance. She could still probably return to the apartment by herself. She was just imaginative so when she drinks she tends to ‘roleplay’. The girl holding her wrist was really close to abandoning her and just make a run for it. But she remembered her promise and she can’t really trust anyone in the room whatsoever. She clicked her tongue.

Then out of nowhere, the lights dimmed earning a few gasps and curses. The music was also turned off. The only light left was the one that was on the stage, serving as a spotlight for the emcee.

“Everybody make some noise!!!!!!” Hwasa screamed holding the mic to the audience. The crowd erupted as soon as she said that; not to mention her stunning outfit that managed to get her some whistles and extra applause. Beside Seulgi was Wendy who was flailing her arms more and was screaming out.

“Thank you for coming tonight despite the weather that we’ve experienced.” Clapping and cheers erupted and Hwasa acknowledge them with her hand.

“This is not just a party, but an event especially dedicated to our upperclassmen who have guided us for these past couple of years in our organization” with that, she raised the plastic cup that Wheein was holding. “-not only did they provided us with help and some inspiration, some; not all mind you.” Laughs erupted. “-but they also persevered to the people that they’ll be in the society. They are truly one of a kind. To all my sunbaes: you’ll all be in our hearts forever and will be our inspiration. Congratulations on surviving and graduating!!”

Hoorays filled the air. Seulgi can’t help but to be touched and emotional.

“ YEAH I SURVIVED THIS HELL HOLE!!!” Wendy shrieked at the top of her lungs. Okay, maybe she WAS so hammered, Seulgi thought. People applauded her. Seulgi panicked because all eyes were on her friend. She pleadingly tugged the hem of Wendy’s shirt to shut her up.

“Way to go Wendy-sunbae~!”

Cheers and applause again. Seulgi seriously needed to get out because the attention that the girl beside her was getting was a little too much for her taste. She gripped her bag. She had to make a run for it.

But of course, Hwasa just won’t let that happen.

“And with that, as a special tribute to you guys, I present to you: A GAME!!!”

Seulgi probably turned white as paper when she heard that compared to Wendy who was still making a ruckus by overhyping herself. Lights were pointed at each of the graduating members. Seulgi was alarmed because Hwasa probably planned this right from the start and targeted her due to her complete dismissal of the party due to ‘personal reasons’. And how the heck did they manage to set up that many spotlights?! Baffled and terrified at Hwasa’s capabilities, Seulgi looked at her and she was sporting a very jeering smile.

“Why only them?” a voice called out in the crowds.

“Because-“ Hwasa turned at the source of the voice, “-Y’ALL HAVE BEEN HOGGING ALL THE FUN AND Y’ALL  AREN’T EVEN A MEMBER! THIS IS THEIR PARTY DAMN! LET THEM BE THE ING STAR!” the crowd cheered for that sick burn. Even Seulgi managed to let out an amused laugh.

There were at least a dozen of members who were going to graduate including Seulgi and Wendy. As per Hwasa’s instruction, they were escorted to the front of the stage by some of their underclassmen. There were lights everywhere so Seulgi was squinting really hard just to see. But she was now definitely sure that practically everyone can see her. All that tactical manoeuvring for nothing. Escaping is also off the table; Hwasa made sure of that because she was standing behind Seulgi; guarding her like a hawk.

Tch.    

Her blindness was momentarily cured when Dahyun appeared and blocked the lights in front of her. She beamed at Seulgi while simultaneously shoving something in Seulgi’s open hands.

“Goodluck sunbae!” she leaned in closer and whispered, “I hope you get me later!” Puzzled, a small smile was the only thing that Seulgi could offer Dahyun. She skipped away happily leaving Seulgi and the rest of the seniors blinded by the lights. She looked at her hand which now contained a blindfold.

The heck?!

“Could you like ing tone down on the spotlights?” Krystal whined crassly. Wheein immediately dimmed the lights again and turn on the multicoloured ones from earlier. It took a few minutes before Seulgi’s eyes came to focus again.

“You’re all probably wondering why you’re all holding blindfolds-“ Hwasa started to explain. But before she can proceed, Krystal interrupted.

“Y’all better not make us ing touch anything gross or I’ll swear to God I’ll graduate with blood on my-“

“Of course not, of course not Krystal-sunbae” Hwasa wagged her finger at Krystal’s direction. Seulgi was positive that they both have the same intimidating aura that can shut people up. “There won’t be any grabbing of anything gross. We’ll work our way around that part somehow” Krystal flipped her off to which Hwasa just chuckled.

Now, Hwasa did a very detailed game. There were various stages and parts that passed them all in a whirlwind of things. At some point, Seulgi vaguely remembered rapping the ABCs and slapping Wendy on the face while she was reciting the national anthem and waving a plastic rubber chicken. She was sure that she didn’t drink but due to the bizarre levels of Hwasa’s game, she was left with a burning taste of alcohol in . The heck? Whiskey?! Or tequila? Seulgi can’t be too sure, she never dabbled that much with alcohol. She felt exhausted.

When Seulgi’s senses were roused up once again, she noticed that there was a big- placard hanging on her neck. If she recalled correctly, this was on the nickname giving portion. Written on it was, ‘Stuttering Whiny Artsy Bear’. She turned to the others beside her and found that they had the same ones. Wendy had ‘Future Canadian Prime Minister’; Kai’s was ‘Ballerina Twirl Twirl’; Sehun’s was ‘Pick-axe Face; and Krystal’s was ‘Queen Biiiiiiiiyetch’. The others were too far for Seulgi’s tired eyes to make out. Plus, whatever amount of alcohol that she took was taking its effect.

She turned to Hwasa who was marvelling at them as if this was all an elaborate death trap not a game. She noticed that Seulgi was looking at her so she squatted near her.

“Hey you” Seulgi pointed at her. “Why am I ‘stuttering’, ‘whiny’ AND ‘bear’ all the same time?!” she said wiggling the big cardboard in front of her.

“Uhmmm.. Because you are?” Hwasa chuckled. “And one of those words that you said is not even an insult. Grow up sunbae.”

Seulgi pouted.

“Aren’t we finished? I want to sleep already”

“Nearly” Hwasa said. “This is your party sunbae so it’s natural for you guys to be in the spotlight”

“But I’m tired~~!!!!” Seulgi whined.

“Whiny” Hwasa clicked her tongue. Seulgi clasped a hand on . Dammit. Hwasa just snickered and put a hand on her upperclassman’s shoulder. “Don’t worry; this one’s the last, promise.” With that, she was left with yet another wink. A sigh was all that Seulgi could muster; that wink was not reassuring at all, looking at Hwasa’s wink history that night.

All of them looked drained from doing things that they can’t even remember. Even Wendy whose energy was contagious was slightly dozing off. Seulgi looked at the crowd who was looking at them with interest and cheering for them at the top of their lungs. Might be the alcohol but smile managed to work its way up to Seulgi’s lips. Maybe this was the feeling that she needed to feel. She was tired but the mere thought of the efforts exerted on setting this whole thing up made her feel—‘special’. She momentarily forgot why she was avoiding the event in the first place.

Her eyes scanned the room.

She wasn’t even there, Seulgi thought.

And maybe that was for the best.

Seulgi’s thoughts were interrupted by Hwasa’s loud voice from the speakers.

“So ladies and gentlemen, as much as it pains me to say this,but we arrived at our last event for the graduating members-“ boos plagued the crowd.

“We want more!!!” a voice said.

“ you just went here for the free food, you can’t demand jack” Hwasa snapped hotly. “And these elderly people are tired, they need to rest.”

“Who da hell are you calling elderly?!” Krystal clapped back. The crowd laughed along with the members who were placing bets on who’s more intimidating between the two. If Seulgi was to choose, she’ll just be better off without pissing them. They’re both terrifying to the girl.

    “Sorry sunbae” Hwasa bowed. Krystal turned her head then Hwasa whispered, “The grannies are getting cranky due to lack of sleep, better pick up the pace!”

She cleared and stood at the middle of the stage once again.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you our last level: BACK BEHIND THAT CURTAIN!!!!” the people started cheering more loudly.

 When did the levels have names? Did they have names since the start? Well, as if Seulgi could remember. Out of nowhere, Wheein held up a curtain in front of Seulgi and the others. They turned to look at each other; all of them with the same looks of confusion on their faces. All at once, they turned to the emcee.

“Now, remember those eye masks that we gave you earlier? May I ask you to put them on sunbaes? AND don’t worry-“, she turned to Krystal for a moment, “-there won’t be any form of grabbing gross things. I promise with all my heart.” Hwasa finished with the ‘cross-my-heart’ motion. Seulgi thinks that all of them were just plain exhausted to even argue with Hwasa so they just proceeded to put on the masks. Seulgi hesitated at first but the aching in her joints (not because she’s old) was really bothering her.

Let’s just get this over with, Seulgi thought.

When all of them were set, Hwasa started talking again, “Now, this game is pretty simple and compared to the other ones, it’s for the safety of the sunbaes that entertained us for the past 2hours. Woop! Woop!”   

2 hours?! They’ve been playing for 2 hours?!

“This is to make sure that each of them will have a companion when returning to their respective rooms. Sooooooooo, behind each curtain is another person that shall be held liable for the safe return of the sunbaes. All of these people are selected randomly from the pool of members and-“ Hwasa was again cut short by the same voice that kept on bugging her emcee duties.

“Only the members??? Give us a chance to get to know the sunbaes more!!”

“ can you shut your trap for a second? We don’t know you, you don’t even go here! Imma slap the hoe out of you if you don’t shut yo .” Laughter filled the basement again. Seulgi was focused on listening to the directions because she can’t really do anything else with her eyes blindfolded.

A few seconds of silence.

“Great now I’m lost!” Hwasa said in disbelief. If that person who interrupted Hwasa had a common sense, they should be leaving the party and get themselves on a plane out of the country or something. The temper in that girl was really something else.

“Ugh! Way to ruin my job!” Hwasa called out. “The deal is that the curtain separates the sunbaes from a different pool of members chosen randomly. Both sides are blindfolded so they won’t see the activities of the person beside them. When the music starts, both sides must raise their right-hand if they know the song playing. We’ll be constantly changing your position. If both of the people opposite each other raised their right-hand, they match and they’ll walk out this party; escorting the elderly, I mean the sunbaes.”

Seulgi was not that really paying attention. She can feel herself giving in to sleep.

Raise your right-hand if you know the song. Got it. Seulgi got this. She just hoped that they’ll play something that she actually knows otherwise she’ll be the only one left there due to her limited amount of music knowledge.

“Oh and one more thing, the people on the other side of the curtain are the ones responsible for picking the songs!” Hwasa added. “We made them choose because the possibility of accompanying one of the sunbaes is suuuuuuuuuch an honor.” Protest came from Seulgi’s side and cheers erupted from the other side.

“Okay.. LET THE MATCHMAKING- I MEAN, BACK BEHIND THAT CURTAIN BEGIN!!!!!! No one knows who’ll get who other than the audience-” cheers, “-and me!!!! Wahaha. PLAY!!!”

The first song sounded like a new one and Seulgi didn’t know it. Drats. This will drag her night longer.   

“I think we have our first match! Wow! Already! Please remove your blindfold and face your partner! ” The crowd ‘oohed’ and ‘ahhed’ when the first match was announced. Seulgi felt that the curtain was dropped because her ankles felt the piece of fabric.

“Looks like Ms. Park Sooyoung earn the pleasure of accompanying the Canadian Prime Minister: Wendy Son!”

Seulgi can’t help but laugh. She was sure that Joy was going to have to drag Wendy all the way to their room. She really wanted to see the expression on Wendy’s face when told that Seulgi wasn’t the one to bring her back to their apartment. Good thing that Joy and Wendy were close.

“Another thing: the sunbae must give something on them ri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter