90°

Turn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*~*~*~

                Seulgi was watching the rest of the campus through her windowsill.

                The rain came pouring down hard out of nowhere and she saw how the students fled for shelter. She chuckled a little bit and sighed a breath of relief when she decided to skip classes all together that day. She wasn’t the lazy kind; something’s just been bothering her recently.

                But since the heavy downpour, she became positive that she was saved.

                While walking along the hallway, she overheard a conversation among a group of students saying that most of the classes have been cancelled and activities by various student organizations were rescheduled. She may have cheered a little too loudly because it resulted to the incessant whispering and disapproving nods of heads of the students at her direction.

                Meh.

                The powerful beings above have given her a chance to save herself from her impending doom. On her table was a list of her ‘supposed’ excuses that she can give to her co-members if the event that she’s been avoiding proceeded as planned. She was glad that she doesn’t have to use it. So far, she only managed to write ‘loose bowel movements’ and ‘menstrual pain’.

                She sighed. Those two excuses would get her free passes of jeering from Joy and Yeri, she’s sure of it. That duo dedicated their lives to annoy the heck out of Seulgi. Despite all of her precautionary measure on avoiding that said event, there was still a lingering feeling in her stomach.

Seulgi was sure that she wants to get out of her current predicament.

 

                You’re not even sure if she’ll come. Heck, you’re not even sure if she’ll care enough. You’re overthinking Kang Seulgi. Overthinking yet again.

                 

She can easily write ‘overdue projects’ or ‘behind a schedule on a paper’ or anything school related. Her members will easily understand and may even offer some help. Actually, she can use that because her lazy genes have been acting up recently and she can’t seem to finish anything relevant.

               

So why can’t she?

               

This thing has been stressing her out for far too long and she let out a grunt of frustration. She’s not even sure if she’s dreading the event or if she’s looking forward to it. She ended her suffering by slapping her face. Distraction, her idle mind needs a distraction.

                She checked her phone and was welcomed by at least 35 messages; 26 of those came from the same person.

                Shoot.

                As soon as she scrolls past all of them, her eyes widened and she immediately grabbed her spare umbrella and jacket beside her study table. She was just about to reach the door when the knob turned itself and then came the dishevelled and soaking figure of her roommate.

                “I swear to God Kang Seulgi. I will smash your phone myself once I get a hold of it.”

                Seulgi shamefully bowed and put her hands together.

                “I’m sorry Wannie-yah~” she said in the most adorable voice she can muster.

                “Can’t you just be a useful roommate for once? And I actually needed help this time. I was stranded at that fricking bus stop for almost an hour! My boots are practically soup bowls!”

                “I’m sorry Wendy” she cooed to the angry figure of her friend. She pouted, making her cheeks puff a little.

                Her roommate clicked her tongue.

                “You know you can’t just play the cute card every time you act as a ty roommate” she sighed. Seulgi replied with as grin which made her eyes disappear at the point where her cheeks meet her eyes.

 “See?! Gods KkangSeul, I can’t believe that you being an airhead are one of your charming points.”

                “Ehe~”

                “I bet you didn’t check your phone when I texted you the first time.”

                Seulgi’s eyes widened.

                “How did you know?” her voice full of awe.

                “Pft. Textbook KkangSeul~”

                “Yah!”

                They teased each other a little more. Seulgi let her roommate change her clothes and take a hot bath. She glanced at the clock at the wall near their door. It was half past four in the afternoon. Since classes have already been suspended, she was pretty much free.

                Seulgi noticed the marks of Wendy’s boots when she walked in. Her nose crinkled at the sight of the muddy footprints that tracked all the way to the bathroom. She wasn’t the cleanest person but she managed to develop a habit of cleaning due to-

                “KkangSeul!” Wendy yelled from the bathroom momentarily causing Seulgi to snap to her senses. “Your magazines are scattered here! Just what do you do inside a bathroom? Do you poop that long that you need a whole bunch of these just to entertain yourself? You could make a library out of these, seriously!”

                Seulgi let out a small and quick apology. She grabbed the mop and started cleaning the muddy tracks and also grabbed the wet clothes Wendy just dropped in front of the bathroom door. Wendy had a knack for cleaning things that are obviously dirty but she’s completely oblivious to her messy side. Seulgi smiled at this thought.

                Since when has she been so engrossed with cleaning?

                After cleaning Wendy’s rain trail, she plopped down on the sofa and switched the television on. Usually she will just let any program ramble on or click it to cartoons but she’s interested in the news surprisingly today. They all contained the same: a typhoon entering Seoul and advisories on blocked roads and delays on some train and airplane schedules.

                Huh. Guess the typhoon really messed up everyone’s Friday night plans.

                “Yah KkangSeul” called Wendy. She just stepped out of the shower and was sporting only a towel draped around her small frame.

                “You should be careful around people you know? Jesus” the taller girl replied quickly covering her eyes with both of her hands.

                “You’re just Kang Seulgi: my airhead roommate, so what’s the point”

                “I’m hurt with that”

                Wendy proceeded to her room and shut the door. Not more than a few seconds passed when she started talking to Seulgi by yelling.

                “So, you received the text?”

                “What text?”

                “The text from Wheein-ssi, regarding the farewell party?”

                Seulgi scoffed.

                “It’s common sense to know that the event has been cancelled. I’m not that of an airhead ya’know. Look at the rain, geez.”

                As soon as she said that, Wendy came out completely dressed with comfortable clothes. Seulgi noticed the confused look on her face.

                “Did you even open the messages you received?” Wendy asked. Seulgi started to scratch her nape and let out a sheepish grin. “Gods KkangSeul!” the smaller girl replied stomping to Seulgi’s room to fetch her phone. She opened it and looked for the message that she was talking about. She then threw the phone to the other girl who almost didn’t catch it.

                “Read it you lazy bum. Honestly.”

                She mumbled a few more words which Seulgi didn’t catch and excused herself to the kitchen to fix something to help her warm up.  Seulgi quizzically opened the message. It seems like it was sent to all members of their organization.

 

Messsage from: Wheein the Pup (4:00 pm)

Wheein the Pup: Wazzup guys! Wheein here and we are deeply saddened that the weather didn’t receive our memo regarding our farewell party to be held today for our senior members (sometimes the weather can be a big tool! >.<)

Anyways, like any other great things: THE SHOW MUST GO ON! And even though it’s a little bit of a stretch, we will still have the party TONIGHT!! (Hooray es lol)

It’ll be held at the basement of student apartment E; don’t worry! We’ve been cleaning it since this morning so there are no spiders! (one accidentally bit me so you guys have to come!!!! >w<)

We will have drinks, food and most importantly, FUN TIMES!! <3

You better come or I’ll send Hwasa to knock down your doors one by one if you refuse. ;)

Thanks~ See yah!

 

                Seulgi ended up with a slight mental panic after reading the overly enthusiastic message sent by their underclassman.

 

                The party is still on?

 

                “Finished reading it?” asked Wendy who was carrying a tub of ice cream from the fridge, a bit of a weird food choice in this chilly weather. Seulgi recognized te container for it was hers. Wendy just shrugged. “I can’t wait to drink my guts out tonight!” she exclaimed while stretching her hands above her head.

                Seulgi still haven’t talked at all. She was busy rereading the whole message for the nth time now. Her small mental panic began to spread to her stomach. Something inside her was boiling. It wasn’t hunger; it was like a cross between deep dread and excruciating nervousness.

                “Why is the party being held in our building?” Seulgi feebly asked.

                “I invited them” Wendy smiled widely. Seulgi gushed. “Since most of the members live here and-“

                “But wouldn’t it be a bother to the others? I mean, are we sure that we still want a farewell party? The graduation’s not for another month. What’s with the rush?”

                Wendy’s eyebrows shot up.

                “Seulgi, the graduation’s next week....”

                Dammit. Seulgi really needed to change her calendar in her room. Or better yet, she needs to get herself a sense of time. Her parents are gonna be livid. She groaned internally.

                “R-really?”

                “Gods Seulgi!” Wendy yelled as she smacked the small pillow beside her to the other girl’s face. “I swear, your dumbness is a disease that is slowly eating you up.” She shook her head in disbelief and continued to devour her ice cream. Seulgi still remained motionless in her seat.

                “But the weather-“

                “Look Seul, I offered our building’s basement because it’s the biggest one and like I said, most members live in this building. The others can wait for the rain to let up. The news said it’ll weaken by 7:00-,“ she motioned her head towards the TV. Seulgi was so preoccupied that she forgot that they were watching the news. “-and I really don’t want to waste the efforts of our hoobaes. They’ve been planning this for months. Besides, I had a rather crappy day. I would want a few beers, cocktails and people cheering me on for surviving the hell hole called uni thank you very much.”

                After explaining with great gusto, she waited for the taller girl to reply.

                “O-oh... Is that so..” Seulgi weakly replied.

                “Yep. Pretty much about it. I don’t really know why you’re so against it”

                Seulgi replied with a weak smile. It’s not as if she’s totally against the party. It’s just that if given the circumstance for the party to not happen, she would totally not mind. But after hearing Wendy’s argument, she saw her point and was kinda actually looking forward to spend some time with her hoobaes. But, she still had to ask something.

                “Are we the only ones who’re gonna attend?”

                “What do you mean?”

                “I mean” she hesitated. “Are the members the only guests?”

                “I think so. It was on short notice and the weather is still pretty nasty. Wheein didn’t mention anything else in the message right?”

                Seulgi checked the message again. She read it a couple more times before answering. “Yep. No other special mentions.” Letting out a breath of relief, she set her phone down. Wendy was still eyeing her with raised eyebrows.

                “Are you not telling me something KkangSeul?” she asked suspiciously. “You looked like as if you’re constipated crossed with the look of trying to lay an egg.”

                “Pft. As if.” she grinned, this time with rigor and actual enthusiasm. Wendy took it as an okay signal and they continued to watch television. To none of their surprise, both of them got fed up with the news so Seulgi switched it to cartoons. After watching for about an hour, Wendy said that she’ll take a nap. The party’s not for another 4 hours so Seulgi said that she’ll probably do the same.

                “Yeah you should do that. You’re kinda on the edge there” Wendy snickered as she closed her bedroom door.

                As she entered her room, Seulgi still felt slightly lost. She was pretty sure that she was happy because plans were lining up accordingly for her. But a strange pull in her gut tells her otherwise.

               

Ugh. I hate this feeling. I better sleep this off.

               

She threw herself on her bed and immediately tried to take nap.

                The moment she closed her eyes, her thoughts came stronger than the raging typhoon outside.

               

Why did she have to ask Wendy all those things? Why was she so against the party? Why was she looking for excuses for the party to NOT happen? Is she is really against the party, why isn’t she feeling glad now? Isn’t she supposed to feel relieved because Wendy said herself that the event will just be among the members?

               

Ugh!

                She opened her eyes and tossed around her mattress.

                When Seulgi closed her eyes again, thoughts didn’t flood her.

               

This time, it was memories.

               

               

Turn.

                That was all it took for Seulgi to notice the new face that welcomed her to the organization that she signed up for.

                “Hi! Good to see some fresh faces here” her smile was blindingly beautiful. Seulgi had to blink twice to make sure that everything was real.

                “Yah Irene-ssi! Don’t scare the freshmen on their orientation day!” barked Moonbyul who was busy handing out flyers to other interested students who were flocking on their table. She was with her girlfriend, Solar and their plan to lure out potential members using their good looks was starting to work.

                Irene pouted at her friend and out of nowhere grabbed the younger girl by both her shoulders and faced her towards her friends.

                “But look at her” she wailed. “Isn’t she cute? Just look at her squishy face and her cute eyes! We could really use her!”

                Seulgi was pretty sure that she was red all over. Not only was she noticed by this pretty girl in front of her, she also had the honor of being called cute. Flustered was not enough to describe that feeling. Seulgi managed to let out a weak ‘hello’.

                “Yah! Bae Irene! Stop manhandling the students! People might think that we’re using physical advances for them to join!” Solar said. She berated Irene who just pouted and nodded. She still hasn’t let go of Seulgi’s shoulders.

                “I’m sorry if she caused you any trouble” the girl called Solar said.

                “N-not at all unnie”

                “See? She’s fine!” Irene said slightly shaking the younger girl’s shoulders.

                “Yah! Bae Irene!”

                Seulgi was slightly smiling at the predicament that she was in. When she looked up at the girl holding her shoulders, as if on cue; she also turned her head to meet her gaze.

                And at that moment, she knew.

 

 

                Turn.

                Every time Irene did that, it seems like Seulgi’s heart followed suit.

                It’s like having your heart be tugged in its four chambers and be undeniably drawn to the pretty face currently walking bubbly towards her.

                “How’s my favorite member?” Irene asked the younger girl in front her in a sing songy voice. Seulgi remembered how she immediately dropped whatever she was doing and had to collect herself because Irene’s face was just a few inches from hers.

                “N-n-othing, sunbae..” she quickly replied, trying to hide her sketchpad by shoving it haphazardly in her bag. But Irene grabbed her hand to stop her. She succeeded, not only on preventing Seulgi from keeping her sketchpad but on also making the younger girl’s heart beat twice faster than normal.

                “What do we have here?” Opening it, she was welcomed by various sketches of buildings, trees and other sceneries that Irene knew too well. They were the nice places all over town and inside the campus. Smiling at each page, she flipped some more only to arrive at the last one. Her eyes widened a little bit then it immediately darted to Seulgi whose face was out of view. She had her head bowed down and only her little ears can be seen which were sporting a very red shade.

                The moment Seulgi looked up; she cursed herself for not letting her see that dazzling smile immediately. Was she imagining it? There was a tinge of pink splattered on Irene’s cheeks, making her more beautiful than ever.

                “Did you draw this?” she asked, gesturing at the last page of the sketchpad. On it was a half finished sketch of what appears to be a picture of Irene, half turning with a big smile on her face. It was still a working progress but anyone can tell that it was a masterpiece waiting to be finished.

                “S-sunbae, I can explain.. I was-“, words can’t seem to form in Seulgi’s mouth. Out of embarrassment, she bowed her head down in front of the older girl. “I’m sorry! I’ll destroy it! My bad! Please don’t press charges on me for looking at you too much!”

                Instead of words, Seulgi’s plea was answered by a heart warming laugh that filled her ears with bliss.

                “Yah~” scolded Irene. “I’m not going to press charges dummy.”

                “Y-you aren’t?”

                “You still haven’t answered my question.”

                Seulgi tilted her head.

                “What question?”

                “Did you draw this?”

               

Seulgi gently nodded.

 

If admitting to drawing your sunbae was the way to see that view, she would’ve done it right away. It wouldn’t be hard.

                A muse like Irene deserved thousand of paintings and sketches to her name.

                And as she replied, Irene tucked her hair on one ear and gave Seulgi one of the most beautiful sights that she has yet to behold.

               

“Don’t you dare destroy a picture of me Seulgi-yah~. I’ll press charges for that!”

                “O-okay”

                “This is a great sketch you know? You should finish it.”

                “I-I can? That won’t make you angry?”

                “Why would I be angry?” as she said that, Irene handed Seulgi her sketchpad back. “It looks

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter