Chapter 30: Wounds of the Heart

In Love With You

Since his argument with Jimin yesterday, they have not been in contact with each other. Still sulking, he stares at his phone while the people in the television chatter and laugh. His sister glances at him but says nothing. He clicks on Jimin’s name deciding to text him, he types sorry but quickly erases it and tosses the phone aside on the couch.

“Argh!” he exclaims ruffling his hair.

“Are you okay?” asks Jeongyeon staring at him. Jungkook exhales loudly,

“Jiminie-hyung and I had a fight yesterday,” he says pouting.

“Hmm? About what?”

“Well, it’s a long story,” he says.

“Well, I’m not doing anything,” she replies turning down the television. Jungkook sits up, turning to his sister.

“Well it was about Crystal,” he says, she stares at him confused,

“Crystal?”

“Well, Crystal told me she is still in love with me when we were camping,” explains Jungkook, “I told Jimin about it yesterday and he completely blew off on me.”

“He blew off because Crystal is in love with you?”

“Well at first he was mad I didn’t say anything earlier and then he started spouting like how I’m giving her false hope and for staying friends with her. Like that’s stupid right?”

“Hmm?” says Jeongyeon, “Well…not really, I mean I would be mad too if my boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend confessed to him and he acts like it’s not a big deal.” he stares at his sister, mouth open,

“So, you’re saying he’s right?”

“I’m saying, he has every right to react like that, it just means he feels threatened.”

“Threaten?” asks Jungkook, “Of what?”

“Yeah, Crystal and you have a history,” he says, “Anyone in that situation would be jealous, I mean how would you like it if he told you his ex-came and confessed to him.” Jungkook sighs, annoyed,

“Well I’ll be pissed but it’s not the same, Jimin is not friends with any of his exes, it was easy for him to cut ties with them. It’s different between Crystal and me.”

“Still,” says his sister, “You should’ve been more sensitive about his feelings too.” Jungkook scoffs not believing his sister was siding with Jimin.

“Whatever,” he says.

“Call him and apologize,” says his sister, “You let it go on, he might think you don’t care about him.”

“That’s bull,” says Jungkook, “He walked away from me, he should apologize.”

“Hmm, someone like Jimin would never apologize especially when he is jealous, trust me, little bro, you’re better off apologizing first.”

“Fine,” mumbles Jungkook, “I’ll apologize but he’s probably at work anyway.”

 

Jungkook was laying down on the bed, staring at the ceiling. Thinking about what his sister said about Jimin feeling threaten. He sighs, wondering why would Jimin feel threaten about his friendship with Crystal? He never gave him a reason to be. He turns to the clock, and it was already eleven-thirty, Jimin should already home by now, he picks up the phone. He clicks on his name but changes his mind, it would be better to do it in person.

 

After arriving at school, Jungkook went straight to the rooftop to look for Jimin but he was not there. Disappointed he went back to the lockers where his friends were standing, chitchatting. He sighs annoyed that he did not find Jimin at his usual spot and wondered where he would be. Was he still angry with him?

“Hey,” says Yugyeom tapping his shoulder, “Are you okay?”

“Huh? Oh, I’m fine,” says Jungkook, his eyes scanning the hallways.

“You don’t look okay,” says Crystal.

“I’m serious,” he says not giving much thought to his friends as he looks around, wondering where Jimin was?

“Oh, there is your boyfriend’s fan club,” says Yugyeom. Jungkook follows his eyes and exhales loudly, not in the mood to be dealing with Aika and her gang. The girls approach them,

“Hi,” says Aika with her usual sinister smile. She always looks like she is planning something. Jungkook looks around pretending he did not hear her,

“I’m talking to you,” says Aika.

“Oh?”

She frowns crossing her arms, “We came just to tell you that just because you’re close with Jimin-oppa does not mean we are gonna stop admiring him.” Jungkook scoffs in disbelieve,

“Look I don’t give a …” he sees Jimin across the hall at his locker with Rachel, “Get a in’ life Aika.” Before she could say something, Jungkook starts walking towards where Jimin is. Approaching them he takes a deep breath, slowly taking a step towards them. Rachel turns around and sees him,

“Hi, Jungkook,” she says with a smile. Jungkook smiles back at her but his eyes on Jimin who glances at him for second before turning back to his locker.

“Hyung,” calls Jungkook standing beside him, “Can we talk?”

“Not in the mood,” replies Jimin, “Come on Rachel, we still have a review to do before class.” Rachel exchanges look with Jungkook with a puzzled look as Jimin closes his lockers and walks away.

“Trouble in paradise?” asks Rachel. Jungkook shrugs his shoulders watching him leave,

“Rachel!” exclaims Jimin. Rachel rolls her eyes,

“He’s being dramatic,” she says pressing Jungkook’s shoulder, “He’ll come around.” She walks away, catching up with Jimin who was already half-way gone.

 

The first period was loud as usual as kids discuss prom and the seniors chitchat about their plans with grad night. They were working on a group project but still upset Jimin did not say anything to him and spent most of the time talking with his friends and ignoring him. Glancing at Jimin, his heart was on fire as Jimin glances back at him, smoldering underneath his stony expression before averting his glance back at his friends. Jungkook sighs, angry that Jimin was not giving the opportunity to apologize, finding his temper annoying.

“Let me have your attention for a minute,” says Mrs. Jasmin, standing in front of the classroom. All students look up, listening to her, “With prom only two days away, the student council is looking for some art students to help with decorations after school since it is being held in the gym. If you’re interested write your name on this sheet, and to make it worth you’re while I decided to make it an extra credit opportunity. So, if you think you can use some extra credit to boost your grades, this is the chance for it, I don’t normally give out extra credits.” She hands the paper to the student in the front to pass it around the classroom.

“Sounds fun,” says Rachel, “Let’s do it.”

“I could some extra credit,” says Jimin, signing the paper.

“Don’t you have work after school?”

“Thanks for reminding me,” says Jimin sarcastically, “I don’t work Friday.” After signing the paper, Jimin hands it back to Sasha who signs it and hands it to Jungkook who signs it and hands it to Liam.

“I’m not doing,” says Liam, Rachel glares at him, “What?” Liam sighs and signs the paper, handing to the table beside them as Rachel grins.

 

The bell rings and after packing his books, Jungkook approaches Jimin. Jimin glances at him and goes back to shoving his books in his bag.

“So, you gonna ignore me all day?”

“I’m not ignoring you,” replies Jimin putting his backpack on. Jungkook glares at him, finding his anger useless but to avoid another argument, he sighs.

“Jiminie-hyung,” he says softly, “I’m sorry.” Jimin looks at him, still pouting,

“We’ll talk later,” he says walking away and joining his friends who were waiting for him at the door.

“Right.”

Jungkook oblivious stares at the clock wondering when the class would be over, so he can go to lunch. Overwhelmed by the argument with Jimin, he left first thing in the morning without eating breakfast and now he was regretting that choice. His stomach growled as he squirms in his seat trying to silence the rambling, feeling embarrassed if the girl sitting next to him hears it. There were ten minutes left until lunch, his eyes glare at the clock as the time seem to slow down. Finally, after an eternity the bell rings and Jungkook quickly packs his stuff and rushes for the dinner. He stops in his track after spotting Jimin standing waiting for him. Jungkook walks to him and stops in front of him, Jimin smiles.

“You look like you’re in a hurry,” he says, clenching on his backpack strap, Jungkook stares at him dumbfounded, wondering if this meant he was not angry anymore. “Join me for lunch, my stepmom made extra Korean food again.” Jungkook breaks out in a grin, nodding his head quickly as if Jimin would change his mind if he did not reply fast enough.

 

Jungkook his lips, rubbing his stomach, full and satisfied. He glances over at Jimin who was staring at him, amazed, Jungkook laughs.

“I was hungry.”

“I could tell, you finished everything so quickly,” teases Jimin, brushing his hair back.

“It’s your fault, I was so worried you were angry, I couldn’t eat breakfast.” Jimin laughs,

“I’m sorry,” he says, “My temper and jealousy get the best of me sometimes. And then you didn’t call, I waited all night.” Jungkook’s eyes widen, surprised, his sister was right, Jimin was jealous, his mind flashes to the time Jimin told him how he gets mean when he is jealous. Jungkook could not help but laugh, finding him adorable but his angry side not as cute though.

“I…should’ve…been more sensitive to your feelings before defending Crystal like that.”

“No, I’m the grown-up, I have no right to you how to deal with your friends…it’s just… I find it annoying that you defend your ex that much.”

“Grown up? Hyung you’re two years older than me. Anyway, you have no reason to be jealous or feel threaten about my friendship with Crystal.”

“Hmm…”

“I understand it’s not easy for you to let someone in…you know because of your parent’s divorce…I would find it hard to trust someone too.” Jimin stares at him,

“I’m not like this because of my parents,” he says defensively. Jungkook clears his throat,

“I’m not saying…I just mean…you know, you're used to always having your way so you…um…”

“Do you think I’m that shallow?” says Jimin interrupting him, surprised by Jungkook’s choice of words.

“What? No, I’m not saying your shallow…you know what sorry, let’s not fight again.” Jimin’s mouth opens slightly as he stares at Jungkook, but nothing comes out. He sighs staring at the empty food container, silent. Jungkook’s mind goes empty, regretting everything that came out of his mouth, they had just apologized to each other and now he managed to upset him by running his mouth. He glances at Jimin who sat beside him, quiet, trying to find the words.

“I…don’t need you to analyze me,” says Jimin, his words taking Jungkook by surprise. Jimin stands up, “Just because my parent's marriage didn’t work out does not mean I need a shrink. I am like this because this is who I am not because my parent's marriage ed me up.” Jungkook stands up, mouth open and loss at words, he did not think his comment would make Jimin that upset, and he did not mean to assume that his personality is because of his parent’s divorce, that would be ridiculous. Jungkook sighs, realizing that he might have sounded insensitive when he mentioned his parents, how could he forget how much Jimin’s parent’s divorce still hurts him.

“Hyung, that’s not what I meant,” explains Jungkook, “I…wasn’t analyzing you. Don’t turn this into a big deal.”

“Of course, you are, my parent's divorce was ty but doesn’t mean I’m messed up or anything. My jealousy, temper, and behavior have nothing to do with the fact that my parents split up and no I’m not used to things going my way because they don’t always go my way. I’m not some spoiled brat.” he says. He was not angry, he has seen Jimin angry and the look in his eyes was not of anger but sadness. Jungkook has done the very thing he promised himself he would never do and that is hurting Jimin. He knows realizes why Jimin does not talk about his parents’ divorce- people would always blame his hot and cold personality on the fact that his parents split up something Jungkook thought would never do but he did. How could bring up his parent’s divorce so lightly? Silence fills the air as they both stand there staring at everything except each other, wondering how everything went sour within minutes when they had just made up with each other.

“Jiminie-hyung…” says Jungkook trying to find the words but can only utter the words “I’m sorry.”

“You should think before you say something,” retorts Jimin.

Jungkook stands there frozen, Jimin’s words cutting at his heart, he did not mean to hurt Jimin’s feelings, that is the last thing he would ever want to do.

“I’m sorry…” he mutters. Jimin sighs, his gaze softening, he takes a step towards Jungkook who was staring down at his feet. He takes Jungkook’s hand and Jungkook stares at him, feeling sorry for being insensitive.

“I…really hate it when people bring up my parents’ divorce because I intend to have mood swings sometimes. I know you didn’t do it on purpose.” Staring into his eyes, Jungkook pulls him against his body, wrapping his arms around him.

“I’m sorry… I feel like all I do is say the wrong thing these days.” Jimin wraps his arms around him, gently squeezing him.