Will You be My Wife?

Lil' Something
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Do you need an extra shot in your morning coffee?" 

 

Those were the first words that Taeyong used to greet me on Monday morning when he placed my breakfast sandwich (that he had promised the week before) on my desk. From his mildly concerned expression, I took that as a gentler euphemism of "you look half-dead". I nodded without looking up from my work, but did not forget to mutter a soft "thanks" to the thoughtful boy. I had no idea how my retired parents had so much energy to drag Baekhyun and me around town over the weekend to all the restaurants that they missed in Seoul. Not that I blamed them, and I do miss them dearly. Yet when you have a department presentation on Monday morning, weekend city tours just aren't that fun anymore. 

 

"You need help with the presentation later? I helped with the research after all," Taeyong offered as he set the cup of black liquid on my desk. I could tell he was trying to sound much more professional at work, dropping all the "noona" and informal tone, but nonetheless his concern could barely be masked. I gave him a grateful smile, but waved him off to do other work. The last thing he said before he left the room reluctantly was, "please remember to eat, Jisoo Manager-nim." 

 

Which was odd because that was also the last thing Baekhyun said when he dropped me off at work that morning. He's intermittently driven me to work before, since his company was just another fifteen minutes away. So when his working hours (which were highly flexible) happened to coincide with mine, I get a free ride. He knew I had a presentation that day, and the night before he was trying to coax my parents for an early night so that I could at least start on something by midnight. 

 

"Or give it to your subordinates. Taeyong would gladly do it, I'm sure," he said. Perhaps being the boss of a business made him much more comfortable with allocating work. 

 

"He's already doing the research component." 

 

"He will still do it, I guarantee you," Baekhyun smirked, and I pretended to not understand what he was insinuating as I corrected information on my slides. One of my life motto was to never give in to Baekhyun's smugness. 

 

"Who's in-charge of your department anyway? That person ought to have sent you help- oh," Baekhyun paused for a moment as he stared at me from his bed (it was his turn on the bed and my turn in the sleeping bag), "you're in-charge of your department." 

 

So he left me to battle my presentation for the rest of the night, dropping all attempts to annoy me. 

 

And he was spot on in the car when he pointed out that I was probably planning to skip breakfast. If Taeyong hadn't brought in the sandwich that he had promised, I would have starved. 

 

For an incredibly painful ten hours used to prepare the slides, I had a presentation that lasted for merely ten minutes. My boss liked it though, and finally I felt like I could stomach my breakfast. While the rest of the meeting droned on with four more presentations after mine (each longer than the one before - gosh someone teach them what the word concise means), I decided to entertain myself with texting under the table. 

 

Chennie Chen Chen: Are you texting us during your Monday morning meeting again?

Me: Yes. It's incredibly boring. 

YeoLO: I thought Baek said you have to present today?

Me: Done. Everyone else after is boring. 

YeoLO: Is Baek's ego rubbing off you? 

Chennie Chen Chen: We don't need 2 of his ultra-sized ego, thank you. 

YeoLO: Meanwhile you pick up nothing about domestic practices. Your mum was very clear about that. 

Me: Shut up. 

Chennie Chen Chen: You texted us first. Do you really want us to shut up?

Me: Okay, stay on the line. 

Chennie Chen Chen: Okay but honestly, why do you keep texting here? We're actually busy people too. It's a workday.

YeoLo: Ya. Get Baekhyun. 

Me: He's with my parents now, so I rather not. Anyway one of you run a music store that's usually quiet in the morning hour and the other one only has music classes scheduled in the afternoon. So you guys are V E R Y F R E E

Chennie Chen Chen: Wait what!? Your parents are here but Baek is the one getting off work to accompany them so that you can report to work?

Me: I have a presentation. 

Chennie Chen Chen: Still. 

YeoLo: That's insane. 

Me: That's not insane. He owns his business, he can report to work as and when he wants. I'm a mere subject in this cruel economy.

Chennie Chen Chen: Dramatic as ever. 

YeoLo: That's why you're entertaining for my dull morning in the shop. 

YeoLo: Still. Baek is really going the extra mile. 

Me: He stays with me and by extension my parents. He can't just ignore them -.-

Chennie Chen Chen: Still!

YeoLo: Still...

Me: Okay I have to get off the chat because my boss is giving me weird looks, but the point is Baek is just doing what needs to be done.

Me: Thanks for the distraction guys and Yeol please focus on shop duties. 

 

Unfortunately, unlike the conversation and the momentary relief from my friends, my workday was long. By the time Baekhyun texted me to get groceries on the way home, I didn't even need any form of persuasion from Taeyong before I willingly let him help me with the shopping. 

 

Supermarket trips are always a sort of therapy for me, more so than retail therapy. It's a responsibility that Baekhyun and I shared by doing on rotation, but mostly the list was crafted by him because he was the chef. Needless to say, both Taeyong and I were slightly irked by the scarily detailed list that Baekhyun texted me, and me mostly from how much longer the list was compared to the usual just to accommodate my parents. The younger male next to me stared incredulously at the list that was complete with item, quantity, specific brands and occasionally, discount details and alternatives should an item be unavailable. 

 

"Does he work in a supermarket?" He asked as he cross-checked a can of soup against the list before placing it in my trolley. 

 

"No, he is just very domestically-inclined," I chuckled at Taeyong's doubtful expression. "This is going to take a while. It's at least five aisles of items." 

 

I nodded, but simply shrugged and carried on with my task. I was somewhat glad that Taeyong had offered to come along, mainly because the load was huge and the supermarket's playlist was not my taste that day. It was an odd mix of foreign party songs with domestic oldies, so it basically sounded like a store manager and new trainee had contributed to the playlist at the same time. 

 

"Taeyong, tell me about yourself," I decided a conversation was the best way to get over the music and any impending awkwardness, "you've always been asking about me. I'll ask this time." 

 

To my surprise, his reply after a moment of hesitation was, "In what capacity are you asking this question?" 

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"As my superior, or as a female friend? I would divulge information about myself very differently based on which position you take." Was that a slight smirk I see dancing on his lips?

 

"Oh come on, you should have more respect for

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter